• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Synth_floyd
Banned
(03-02-2013, 05:31 AM)
I guess the "Ultimate RPG" (I think it's a working name) that Richard Garriott aka Lord British has been working on for a while is finally ready to be revealed. He put up a website with a countdown.

http://www.lordbritishpresents.com/

From what he's said before about it, he wants to make an Ultima Online type RPG with lots of freedom, player generated combat, non-combat roles that players can do and all sorts of other neato stuff I guess.

You can read his treatise about it here: http://www.portalarium.com/index.php/ultimate-rpg?id=93

Due to the fact that in the last 20 years he's made 2 good games: Ultima Online and Ultima 7, I'm not too excited about this but I guess we'll see what happens.
fleck0
(03-02-2013, 05:32 AM)
Cautiously excited. Hope Garriot doesn't have space madness.
Last edited by fleck0; 03-02-2013 at 05:34 AM.
rockx4
(03-02-2013, 05:32 AM)

Originally Posted by Synth_floyd

I guess the "Ultimate RPG" (I think it's a working name) that Richard Garriott aka Lord British has been working on for a while is finally ready to be revealed. He put up a website with a countdown.

http://www.lordbritishpresents.com/

From what he's said before about it, he wants to make an Ultima Online type RPG with lots of freedom, player generated combat, non-combat roles that players can do and all sorts of other neato stuff I guess.

You can read his treatise about it here: http://www.portalarium.com/index.php/ultimate-rpg?id=93

Due to the fact that in the last 20 years he's made 2 good games: Ultima Online and Ultima 7, I'm not too excited about this but I guess we'll see what happens.

Is this that garage sale/flee market game or whatever from a while back? Or did that already release.
dream431ca
Banned
(03-02-2013, 05:34 AM)
Good God! Haven't heard from this guy in a long, long time.
Synth_floyd
Banned
(03-02-2013, 05:35 AM)
That released already, thought I'm not sure if it's still technically in beta or not. You can play it on facebook and probably iOS and Android. I tried it out for about 15 minutes and it seemed like a complete waste of time.

http://www.portalarium.com/index.php/ultimate-collector
Chemo
(03-02-2013, 05:38 AM)

Originally Posted by fleck0

My exact response as well.
rockx4
(03-02-2013, 05:39 AM)

That released already, thought I'm not sure if it's still technically in beta or not. You can play it on facebook and probably iOS and Android. I tried it out for about 15 minutes and it seemed like a complete waste of time.

http://www.portalarium.com/index.php/ultimate-collector

My interest in that game fizzled the moment it announced. He really needs to just make a simple Ultima VII like game, hell I wouldn't mind if it looked like U7 but at a higher resolution.
Veelk
(03-02-2013, 05:40 AM)
Spoony better prepare himself
Pachterballs
Banned
(03-02-2013, 05:40 AM)
im hyped.

He probably has mad money because its not a kickstarter
Zeliard
another, slower tempo, made half of dreams
(03-02-2013, 05:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Pachterballs

im hyped.

He probably has mad money because its not a kickstarter

Richard Garriott is a very wealthy man.
Last edited by Zeliard; 03-02-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Lord Panda
(03-02-2013, 05:48 AM)
While I'm a huge fan of Ultima VII, I can't help but feel that Garriot is just so full of himself. I could almost pidture him lovingly caressing the mirror as I was reading that treatise.
Last edited by Lord Panda; 03-02-2013 at 05:54 AM.
rockx4
(03-02-2013, 05:53 AM)

Originally Posted by LordPanda

While I'm a huge fan of Ultima VII, I can't help but feel that Garriot is just so full of himself. I could almost pciture him lovingly caressing the mirror as I was reading that treatise.

Yep, U7 was amazing. I have the same opinion of Garriott as you do. After U7, and outside of UO... everything that he's touched has failed. He hasn't produced a relevant game in ages and he acts like he's some RPG god out to make the ultimate RPG.
todahawk
(03-02-2013, 05:55 AM)

Originally Posted by fleck0

"You coveth my ice cream bar!"
thecharrr
(03-02-2013, 06:02 AM)
A modern ultima online could be cool, hopefully it doesn't turn into a lot of lost potentical
toddhunter
(03-02-2013, 06:04 AM)

Originally Posted by rockx4

Yep, U7 was amazing. I have the same opinion of Garriott as you do. After U7, and outside of UO... everything that he's touched has failed. He hasn't produced a relevant game in ages and he acts like he's some RPG god out to make the ultimate RPG.

He is still a god to me. Him and Warren Spector have a life time free pass no matter what crap they churn out now.

Hopefully this is the return of Harry Potter online.
Last edited by toddhunter; 03-02-2013 at 06:12 AM.
rosaceadude2112
(03-02-2013, 06:05 AM)
VGChampion
(03-02-2013, 06:14 AM)
I would love for it to be great but all the old greats seem to be missing the target these days.
funkystudent
(03-02-2013, 06:16 AM)
I predict this countdown will end with a kickstarter.

"hey remember 20 years ago when I made ____ game.....something something greedy publishes....yadda yadda...."
Last edited by funkystudent; 03-02-2013 at 06:28 AM.
mysteriousmage09
(03-02-2013, 06:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Veelk

Spoony better prepare himself

What's a Paladin?
Synth_floyd
Banned
(03-02-2013, 06:18 AM)
He's kind of like one of those classic rock bands that made legendary albums back in the 70s but all their newer stuff is crap. I mean does anyone really care about the new Rush or Rolling Stones album? They just want to hear the hits.
Dr.Acula
(03-02-2013, 06:25 AM)
We'll get an amazing Final Fantasy game before we get an amazing Lord British game :(
Ingueferroque
(03-02-2013, 06:28 AM)

He's kind of like one of those classic rock bands that made legendary albums back in the 70s but all their newer stuff is crap. I mean does anyone really care about the new Rush or Rolling Stones album? They just want to hear the hits.

Ultima VII is still a landmark game to this day, it hasn't been superseded yet.
TheHater
(03-02-2013, 06:31 AM)
This is still one of my favorite episode of ICONS . Anyone else remember this episode or this show?
Mejilan
Running off of Custom Firmware
(03-02-2013, 06:32 AM)
Sigh.
I want to believe.
But no.
Erethian
(03-02-2013, 06:33 AM)

The problem with this analogy is that Richard Garriott is only one person and there were a whole team of people at Origin who were incredibly talented. People who worked on Wing Commander worked on Ultima or Crusader or Bioforge, and so on. Then you had all those people there who went on to work at Looking Glass Studios.
rockx4
(03-02-2013, 06:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Ingueferroque

Originally Posted by Erethian

The problem with this analogy is that Richard Garriott is only one person and there were a whole team of people at Origin who were incredibly talented. People who worked on Wing Commander worked on Ultima or Crusader or Bioforge, and so on. Then you had all those people there who went on to work at Looking Glass Studios.

It's true that U7 is still an amazing game. I'd like to see Garriott create an actual game in the style of U7 to see if he can actually recreate what made U7 great in a new game.
SparkTR
(03-02-2013, 06:38 AM)
Isn't this guy massively into iOS and social games these days? Pass. Ultima Forever is already enough disappointment for me.
PsySal
(03-02-2013, 06:38 AM)
So happy to see all the love for Ultima 7 but Ultima 6 is also really excellent. The world in U6 is substantially bigger, even if it's drawn in much lower-resolution. I've recently also played Ultima 4, and it's not bad especially for it's time! Really hard, but quite fun. I didn't make it too far though.

Richard Garriott also recently worked on a FPS MMORPG which I can't remember the name of, but seems like a kind of prototype for Planetside 2 and/or Destiny. I have no idea if it was any good but it looked pretty cool, I can't remember the name. Note that "recently" means sometime I think in the last 10 years.
Zefah
(03-02-2013, 06:41 AM)

Originally Posted by SparkTR

Isn't this guy massively into iOS and social games these days? Pass. Ultima Forever is already enough disappointment for me.

I'm hoping that passed. It seems like the "I'm gonna go make a Facebook mobile shit-Ville game!" phase has passed for most people in the last year or so. Maybe it's just my impression.
toddhunter
(03-02-2013, 06:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Ingueferroque

This is true... But U6 was better ;)

Originally Posted by SparkTR

Yep.
Synth_floyd
Banned
(03-02-2013, 06:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Erethian

Yeah. Warren Spector was involved with Ultimas 6, 7, 7: Part 2 and Underworld. Denis Loubet did the artwork for the Ultima series and is basically the Roger Dean or Strom Thorgerson (for you Yes or Pink Floyd fans) of the series. Ken Arnold did much of the music.

Maybe the correct analogy would be the classic Ultima games were like the classic Pink Floyd albums but his later games are like the Floyd solo albums.

My personal favorites in the series would be 5 and 6. I remember playing U5 years later and still got captivated by it the way I did when I played 6 and 7 originally.
BlastProcessing
(03-02-2013, 06:44 AM)
He is making some sort of announcement at SXSW

Originally Posted by SXSW Schedule

Descendants of Erdrick with a special announcement from Richard Garriott

diamount
(03-02-2013, 06:45 AM)
Self-funded? He got a lot of money from suing Ncsoft.
Mejilan
Running off of Custom Firmware
(03-02-2013, 06:45 AM)
Elizabeth, Abraham, the Cube, the Sphere, and the Pyramid still crack me up to this day.
SparkTR
(03-02-2013, 06:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Zefah

I'm hoping that passed. It seems like the "I'm gonna go make a Facebook mobile shit-Ville game!" phase has passed for most people in the last year or so. Maybe it's just my impression.

Last I saw him was on the Star Citizen final day livestream (around Nov last year) and he was pimping out social gaming like there was no tomorrow.
Dr.Acula
(03-02-2013, 06:54 AM)

Originally Posted by TheHater

This is still one of my favorite episode of ICONS . Anyone else remember this episode or this show?

Yikes. Loaded up the video and the very first seconds are gameplay from UIX.

edit: I really wish the narrator didn't sound like that guy from South Park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePBs98yEyHY
Last edited by Dr.Acula; 03-02-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Pristine_Condition
(03-02-2013, 06:55 AM)
I'm pulling for him to succeed. Dude is a legend.
ChosenPredator
(03-02-2013, 06:59 AM)
he's been having a hardon for social games so this game may be massively disappointing or amazing..or an IOS game which might be likely.
xenist
(03-02-2013, 07:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Pristine_Condition

I'm pulling for him to succeed. Dude is a legend.

Absolutely. I usually don't give half a fuck whether some games are successful prior to seeing if they're good or not but for some reason I take it kind of personally when people like Garriott, or Carmack, or Spector and the like don't get respect.
NJBorn
Banned
(03-02-2013, 07:02 AM)
go Garriot!
PsySal
(03-02-2013, 07:02 AM)

Originally Posted by diamount

Self-funded? He got a lot of money from suing Ncsoft.

Oh, that FPS MMORPG was the game he made with Ncsoft wasn't it? What was it called? What happened?
Synth_floyd
Banned
(03-02-2013, 07:05 AM)
He's not a billionaire but he did get $28 million from NC Soft after he sued them. While he was in quarantine for his space trip, NC Soft released an open letter from him that said he was leaving the company. He then said that NC Soft made up this letter to force him out of the company. I guess the judge agreed with Garriott.
Dr.Acula
(03-02-2013, 07:09 AM)

He's not a billionaire but he did get $28 million from NC Soft after he sued them. While he was in quarantine for his space trip, NC Soft released an open letter from him that said he was leaving the company. He then said that NC Soft made up this letter to force him out of the company. I guess the judge agreed with Garriott.

That would be one of the most epic defenses ever.

"Your Honor, I had no means at that time of responding to such defamations, as you see, I was in quarantine after returning from space."
diamount
(03-02-2013, 07:23 AM)

Originally Posted by PsySal

Oh, that FPS MMORPG was the game he made with Ncsoft wasn't it? What was it called? What happened?

Tabula Rasa

Full story here
eastmen
Banned
(03-02-2013, 02:00 PM)
I love the ultima series. Even the last one was good once fans fixed the issues and on modern pcs it runs like a charm.

Ultima online to this day is still the best MMORPG ever created. So I'm willing to give this a shot
TucoBenedictoPacifico
(03-02-2013, 02:01 PM)
I'm ready for crushing disappointment.
Banana Kid
(03-02-2013, 02:01 PM)
That Tabula Rasa money must have dried up. Gotta go back to space, gotta make another video game.
Uncle Rupee
Banned
(03-02-2013, 02:02 PM)
"Renaissance Festival 3D Simulator"
"Medieval Times: Rowdy Restauranteur"
Currygan
(03-02-2013, 02:02 PM)
I think his days are long gone, but we'll see
BosSin
(03-02-2013, 02:06 PM)
I had a decent conversation with the guy a couple years back, unfortunately I'm not a huge fan of the Ultima series (haven't even played a single one)