• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Box of Bunnies
(03-02-2013, 05:28 PM)
Ever notice this? The first work in a duology deals with time travel and is widely considered to be a masterpiece of its form. The follow-up deals with alternate planes of existence (life and death in Bogus Journey, parallel dimensions in Chrono Cross) and while generally considered to be weaker is still held in good regard and has its proponents that put it above its predecessor.
Count of Monte Sawed-Off
gimme some of that "black man dap"! hey, where are you all going? guys? guys
(03-02-2013, 05:30 PM)
The Epoch should have been named the Wyld Stalyn.
genjiZERO
(03-02-2013, 05:30 PM)
You should write a dissertation on this.
LevityNYC
Banned
(03-02-2013, 05:36 PM)
Chrono Cross was pretty shitting in relation Chrono Trigger and Bogus Journey is pretty shitty compared to Excellent Adventure.
Red UFO
(03-02-2013, 05:38 PM)
Nothing about Chrono Cross puts it above its predecessor.
Onion_Relish
(03-02-2013, 05:41 PM)
Woah
zeelman
(03-02-2013, 05:46 PM)
This is still an important issue in gaming?
giant_frying_pan
(03-02-2013, 05:46 PM)
Good analogy, although I quite liked Bogus Journey :'(
Karsticles
(03-02-2013, 05:49 PM)

Originally Posted by giant_frying_pan

It had that weird ass bunny rabbit...that's all I remember.
SatelliteOfLove
(03-02-2013, 05:50 PM)

Originally Posted by zeelman

I blame SE monkeying with the DS version of CT's ending.
Box of Bunnies
(03-02-2013, 05:51 PM)

Originally Posted by zeelman

The importance of issues is relative when time travel is involved.

Originally Posted by giant_frying_pan

The overriding point is that they're both good, even if one is less good than the other. Neither is heinous :)
Unstoppable Lionheart
Banned
(03-02-2013, 05:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Box of Bunnies

The overriding point is that they're both good, even if one is less good than the other. Neither is heinous :)

I don't know man. Chrono Cross was so ridiculous that when I was a kid, I literally had no idea what was happening 90% of the time.

I understood Chrono Trigger just fine.

Chrono Cross was just a bad game all around. All it had going for it was a great OST.

You know you have a problem when your party roster in an RPG is bigger than some fighting games roster.
ProtomanNeo
(03-02-2013, 05:59 PM)
Excellent Adventure is the better "film", but Bogus Journey is without a doubt funnier. How would this translate into the op's theory?
Hero_of_the_Day
(03-02-2013, 06:00 PM)

Originally Posted by SatelliteOfLove

I blame SE monkeying with the DS version of CT's ending.

What do you mean? I've never played the DS version, didn't know they made changes to the ending.
davepoobond
you can't put a price on sparks
(03-02-2013, 06:02 PM)

Originally Posted by ProtomanNeo

Excellent Adventure is the better "film", but Bogus Journey is without a doubt funnier. How would this translate into the op's theory?

Chrono Trigger was more coherent, while Chrono Cross was more artsy
thelongdarkriversofhell
(03-02-2013, 06:04 PM)
If a new Bill and Ted's movie is made, does that mean we finally get Chrono Break?
Nairume
(03-02-2013, 06:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Hero_of_the_Day

What do you mean? I've never played the DS version, didn't know they made changes to the ending.

If he's referring to the change made in the PSX version, the epilogue FMV connected the games by

Having Lucca find Kid
Dali
(03-02-2013, 06:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Unstoppable Lionheart

I don't know man. Chrono Cross was so ridiculous that when I was a kid, I literally had no idea what was happening 90% of the time.

Chrono Cross was just a bad game all around. All it had going for it was a great OST.

You know you have a problem when your party roster in an RPG is bigger than some fighting games roster.

That's not a problem. That's part of why it was awesome. I loved hearing the stories of each of the supporting characters many of which were interconnected. They offered a bunch of interesting little tales in the same vein as frog's from chrono trigger. Yeah some were lame and less involved but a good handful were great and had decent depth considering. The characters also added a fun collecting element which made a replay (necessary to get them all iirc) all the more fun.
Last edited by Dali; 03-02-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Box of Bunnies
(03-02-2013, 06:06 PM)

Originally Posted by thelongdarkriversofhell

If a new Bill and Ted's movie is made, does that mean we finally get Chrono Break?

Sure.

Keanu and Alex can talk with the press all they want, we're never getting Bill and Ted 3 ;_;

And at this point Chrono Break is likely to be either iOS exclusive or unlocalised.
Last edited by Box of Bunnies; 03-02-2013 at 06:09 PM.
iLLmaticV3
(03-02-2013, 06:07 PM)
Chrono Cross is a masterpiece. I don't get it.
Seasoned Badger
(03-02-2013, 06:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Nairume

If he's referring to the change made in the PSX version, the epilogue FMV connected the games by

Having Lucca find Kid

Also:

Dalton raising an army in Porre (A.D 1000) which caused the fall of Grandia and connecting Magus with Guile. Magus goes into a forest and willingly loses all his memory, comes out an empty shell. There might be some more.
Last edited by Seasoned Badger; 03-02-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Shahed
(03-02-2013, 06:13 PM)
I love Chrono Trigger. Probably in the top 5 games I have ever played.

Cross is better though!
bengraven
will fuck homely black hookers in the name of progress and tolerance
(03-02-2013, 06:14 PM)
On it's own, Chrono Cross is one of the best JRPGs ever.

I guess I'm lucky that I played Trigger much later. I didn't have preconceived notions. I loved Cross for what it was and still is.
BillyBats
Banned
(03-02-2013, 06:15 PM)
Box of Bunnies
(03-02-2013, 06:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Shahed

Cross is better though!

Originally Posted by bengraven

On it's own, Chrono Cross is one of the best JRPGs ever.

Congrats, you're basically alongside the people that prefer Bogus Journey. Of course, this is a radical area where we're excellent to each other and either opinion is considered most triumphant. In other words: Station!

Originally Posted by BillyBats

giant_frying_pan
(03-02-2013, 06:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Karsticles

It had that weird ass bunny rabbit...that's all I remember.

It's certainly a much better weird-ass, bunny-containing, time-travel movie than say...Donnie Darko is :l

Originally Posted by Box of Bunnies

Oh sure! The good analogy comment was aimed at yourself, whereas the rest was aimed at anyone who craps on Bogus Journey :)
vocab
(03-02-2013, 06:20 PM)
Chrono Cross is asssssss.
Conan-san
(03-02-2013, 06:20 PM)
"bogus" is right.
Chairhome
(03-02-2013, 06:28 PM)

Originally Posted by ElTopo

Willem Dafoe. Death. Battle for life.

Willem Dafoe was not in these movies
NIN90
fish heads fish heads
roly-poly fish heads
(03-02-2013, 06:29 PM)
Let's all be excellent to each other.
Kukuk
Banned
(03-02-2013, 06:29 PM)
Woah woah woah, wait a minute. There's still people who like Trigger more than Cross?
MoxManiac
(03-02-2013, 06:30 PM)
Don't see it. Liked Bogus Journey a lot more than the original.
Box of Bunnies
(03-02-2013, 06:33 PM)

Originally Posted by NIN90

Let's all be excellent to each other.

Party on, dude!
ToastyFrog
Inexplicable Treasure Hate
(03-02-2013, 06:38 PM)
Dark Serge = Evil Bill / Evil Ted? Works for me.
reelbigtink
(03-02-2013, 06:47 PM)

Originally Posted by MoxManiac

Don't see it. Liked Bogus Journey a lot more than the original.

This is some truth. Steve Vai's guitar intro to "God Gave Rock and Roll to You" at the end of the movie is in itself better than the first movie.
Karsticles
(03-02-2013, 06:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Kukuk

Woah woah woah, wait a minute. There's still people who like Trigger more than Cross?

Flip the two names around, and you have my expression of disbelief. Cross is pure garbage aside from the gorgeous music.
Holy Order Sol
(03-02-2013, 06:53 PM)
I love both games and won't rank them. Part of what I liked in Cross was looking for everything related to Trigger in it so I'm not one of those who complain about it not being a "proper" sequel, whatever that means.
Correctomundo
(03-02-2013, 06:57 PM)

Originally Posted by ElTopo

Willem Dafoe. Death. Battle for life.

William Sadler.
Maxim726X
(03-02-2013, 06:58 PM)

Flip the two names around, and you have my expression of disbelief. Cross is pure garbage aside from the gorgeous music.

Ehh... That's a bit too strong.

But Trigger is the best game ever, so by definition nothing is better.
CurseoftheGods
(03-02-2013, 06:59 PM)
Chrono Cross is great.
-MB-
(03-02-2013, 07:00 PM)
Cross haters are just Trigger zealots and not to be taken seriously, they're both great games in the end for different reasons.
Sheroking
(03-02-2013, 07:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Maxim726X

Not in my top-40. Not in my top-5 in SNES. Overrated.

But it is still better than Cross.
Karsticles
(03-02-2013, 07:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Maxim726X

I can't think of a single redeeming quality Cross had. A massive and uninteresting (not to mention undefined) cast, a pointlessly convoluted plot, and a combat system I would call the worst ever if we didn't have FFVIII as a shining example of what not to do. Not to mention that, atmospherically, the game only ever felt like it was part of the Chrono Trigger universe at one moment, and the game shit on Magus. Those really are small points to me, though.
Effect
(03-02-2013, 07:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Unstoppable Lionheart

For while I thought something was wrong with me when I tried to play Chrono Cross. I had no problem following and understanding other RPGs at the time when I was younger. Chrono Trigger was one of my favorite games, still is. I was so lost with Chrono Cross though. I just stopped playing and never went back. I still have it to. It was only later that I found out others had problems with the game.
Kukuk
Banned
(03-02-2013, 07:13 PM)

No way dude. Writing is infinitely better, the web of character history was great, and even NPCs had great little stories tied to them.

Not to mention I have a full-on robot chubby for the themes of the game. All these great what-if scenarios not just for the playable characters, NPCs as well. And it was really something special to bring characters that may be dead in one world into the other, to see how their loved ones would react. Little touches like that are something you just never see in a game, and certainly not in Trigger.

And, of course, the Dead Sea is the greatest area in a game ever.
Dr Stabbingworth
(03-02-2013, 07:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Effect

For while I thought something was wrong with me when I tried to play Chrono Cross. I had no problem following and understanding other RPGs at the time when I was younger. Chrono Trigger was one of my favorite games, still is. I was so lost with Chrono Cross though. I just stopped playing and never went back. I still have it to. It was only later that I found out others had problems with the game.

I realized that I could not remember Cross's plot at all the last time this conversation came up. I read a summary and still couldn't understand most of it.
Karsticles
(03-02-2013, 07:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Kukuk

No way dude. Writing is infinitely better, the web of character history was great, and even NPCs had great little stories tied to them.

I don't remember great little stories. I remember miniature introductions before a character becomes yet another soulless face in my party that will never see combat. Unless your idea of good writing is long, convoluted explanations, I don't know how you can think the writing is better.

Not to mention I have a full-on robot chubby for the themes of the game. All these great what-if scenarios not just for the playable characters, NPCs as well. And it was really something special to bring characters that may be dead in one world into the other, to see how their loved ones would react. Little touches like that are something you just never see in a game, and certainly not in Trigger.

You mean like the various reactions Chrono's Mom has to all the "friends" he brings over? These things are cute, but they can ultimately take away from the game. Bring a "dead" character to the other world, and my thought is "What the hell, you're just going to be surprised and then go about your business?" It was obnoxious, not cherish-able.

And, of course, the Dead Sea is the greatest area in a game ever.

I don't even remember it, just that I had to suffer another goddamn boat in a PS1 RPG. Ugh.
Meia
(03-02-2013, 07:20 PM)
It's an ok analogy, but only if Bill and Ted weren't in Bogus Journey at all. :P

I always have a desire to go back and play CT again. CC I'm trying to forget existed, if for no other reason than it kind of crapped on CT's characters.

Biggest offender to me about CC though is still it doesn't need to have the Chrono in the name, as there's maybe 5 minutes in a BIG RPG that actually has any mention of the original, and that's terrible. That being said, even if it wasn't called Chrono Cross, I still wouldn't have liked it much.
Hero
(03-02-2013, 07:27 PM)
Cross is shit. The only good thing about the game is the music.
Craiji
(03-02-2013, 07:29 PM)
The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing.