• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 4-10 | The Empire Strikes Black

image.php

Is that Dave Chappelle?

Nah. Some random ass dude on OKCupid, which this asshole, who has a crush on me, said I'll be in 20 years. lol

Lil B probably got like nine copies of Tekken
Classic.
Classic.
Classic.
Classic.
Classic.
Classic.
Classic.
Classic.
Classic.

Classic. Classic... classic, goddammit!!

My nominee for song of the week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2DpuQiBsFM

I've been watching the matches that WGE uploaded and wow, I didn't realize they were playing AE and not AE 2012. Imagine if you were a godlike Yang or Yun player and knew what was up but acted like you didn't know shit like everybody else. Man that would have been funny if someone knowingly exploited this. That reminds me, my local tournament from last month they were actually playing Super on the stream during top 5 or so. I remember a Cammy player I once played was on and he missed every single cr. LK, cr. LP, cr. MP, spiral arrow combo. I was in disbelief at how he couldn't do it for the life of him. He was probably like 0-20 in the two matches I saw him play. He finally got eliminated and later a couple other guys were playing and realized that the wrong version was on. They thought they were playing AE, but it was actually Super since their were no twins, Oni, and Evil Ryu. But that explains it because that combo the Cammy player was going for wasn't possible until AE.

Tizoc

Darkstalkers Resurection is releasing on the 12th of March, I'll have the OT up by the 11th at the latest, just waiting for some banners and images to get ready, but I will begin finalizing everything by Friday or Saturday.
For now I'd like some OT subtitle recomendations, but please no Capcom bashing subtitles since you end playing and liking their games in the end anyway.
ATM I'm considering using, Karsticles I think, suggested subtitle: "Now selling tickets to Lord Raptor's re-debut!"

As for my weekly offerings, The Shend hasn't put up any new 3S matches in 2 weeks sad to say.
First off if here are 5+ HOURS OF VARIOUS CAPCOM FIGHTING GAME SERIES MATCHES
Game a-cho recently held an event featuring various Capcom fighting games, and so far most of them have now been uploaded to their Youtube page:
http://www.youtube.com/user/GAMEacho/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Here the games that were featured this year:
MORE THAN 2 HOURS OF JAPANESE MVC2 MATCHES!

90 MINS OF CAPCOM VS. SNK 2 MATCHES!

Is that some new Joe Higashi tech I see at around the 26:00 mark?!

2 HOURS OF STREET FIGHTER ALPHA/ZERO 3 MATCHES!

1 HOUR OF JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE!

Nearly AN HOUR'S WORTH OF DARKSTALKERS 3/VAMPIRE SAVIOR MATCHES!

90 MINS. OF FUC!

MORE THAN 90 MINS. WORTH OF STREET FIGHTER EX 2 PLUS MATCHES!

Oh and 90 mins of SSF4 AE

Enjoy the nostolgia folks!

...and if you missed them from last week:
90 MINS. OF KOF 02 UM!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HiGd3qnz2U

90 MINS. OF KOF 98!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DERlBa82WHQ

1 HOUR OF PUYO PUYO!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njPIB1HkJEI
#PUYO PUYO FOR EVO 2013!

NOT 3! NOT 5! BUT 8! 8 HOURS OF BLAZBLUE CP!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycqNGOgGdXI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7qC2kAcd3k

90 MINS. OF MELTY! Featuring a little cat person
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm6Im4Iv6cc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X3V-rRqnBM

90 MINS. OF GUILTY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u8-9twDjEI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHsAcXoeiR8

Adios amigos I'm off to my 9 hour shift @3@.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
EMP is actually good for the community in a sense where there needs to be a villain/heel/whatever for the good guys to strive and beat.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
At ARK, the stream station for Marvel was unpatched for the whole first day. Nobody noticed until top 8.

lol, whoops.

JeTmAn81

At ARK, the stream station for Marvel was unpatched for the whole first day. Nobody noticed until top 8.

lol, whoops.

I went to a tiny little tournament where they said the game would be the old version. I thought they meant unpatched, with the throw tech glitch and everything but no, it was actually vanilla Marvel. I went home and got my copy of Ultimate. Of course that was still unpatched. Hurray for the internet age.

That's what people assumed, but nope. Top 16 until the Loufy/Ryan Hart match was on the wrong version if you watch the videos.

Thinking about, I noticed Poongko failing to punish Mago's second hit rekkas on block couple of times, not saying that Mago wouldn't have beaten him either way, but I guess now I know why.

lol, whoops.

but the Marvel patch changes are far less noticeable than AE>AE2012 right ? All I know is that PW assist got nerfed and the throw break bug being fixed.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
but the Marvel patch changes are far less noticeable than AE>AE2012 right ? All I know is that PW assist got nerfed and the throw break bug being fixed.
If Astral Vision was active, Felicia's wall jump turned into a teleport.

That top secret tech.

EDIT: And the throw bug was borderline game-breaking imo. Or at least severely game-changing.

I went to a tiny little tournament where they said the game would be the old version. I thought they meant unpatched, with the throw tech glitch and everything but no, it was actually vanilla Marvel. I went home and got my copy of Ultimate. Of course that was still unpatched. Hurray for the internet age.
In 2003 the patch would have either not existed or been sold as Uncanny.

I will take a $40 retail update over free DLC every single time, no questions asked.

Still glad the game got patched at all, of course.
In other genres a DLC/patch accumulation are sold as a GOTY edition, wonder why fighting games haven't done something like that yet?

PS I would totally buy the disc version of SFxT if it included all the DLC as unlocked and had v2013 preinstalled for the right price

Malice215

I must be the only one that doesn't have this hatred for Triforce that other people have because I'm not paying attention to every single thing he says. I see the comments on Twitter and people act like he personally wronged them somehow.

There's also not enough references to da beech in the OP. Still godlike though.

People wouldn't be making the mistake of playing the wrong version of SF if Capcom simply forced everyone to play on the latest version of AE. I wish these games more make the version information more apparent, but I've seen plenty of times where people played on unpatched consoles, but at least with the PS3, that update data isn't tied to the user account.

In other genres a DLC/patch accumulation are sold as a GOTY edition, wonder why fighting games haven't done something like that yet?

PS I would totally buy the disc version of SFxT if it included all the DLC as unlocked and had v2013 preinstalled for the right price

MK came out with a GOTY version with the Komplete Edition and the SF25 collection has all that in one huge box. It really comes down to the market. MK sold very well, so it makes sense to come out with a GOTY edition. Other fighting games either don't sell as well or don't offer enough DLC where it makes sense to repackage it.

But then the Komplete Edition had bugs that the standard version of the game didn't have, and Capcom has already stated that people would only need to buy one SFxT disk so....

Was this posted? Daigo and Sako are running a Darkstalkers Resurrection exhibition on the 8th
The first vid is a interview conducted by Nuki: http://youtu.be/_MJ0EkANc3M

It was posted in last week's thread. Doesn't hurt to post it again.

I will take a $40 retail update over free DLC every single time, no questions asked.

Still glad the game got patched at all, of course.

You can't expect them to release a $40 patch, or try to create some form of content to justify the $40 disc upgrade every single time there is a need for a patch (and there will be a need for many patches probably), especially since these "upgrades" end dropping half the player base in the best case scenario (usually much worse)

Malice215

The problem with the $40 update is that the majority of people don't want to rebuy disks for content that they could have received in a patch. That's why there's different versions of SF you can choose from and why there hasn't been another repackaging of SFxT
eventhough all the content was already on the disk to begin with

Plus for fighting games, people expect to have all the content available from the jump, so they're not looking to purchase a GOTY version months after.

Beckx

Darkstalkers Resurection is releasing on the 12th of March, I'll have the OT up by the 11th at the latest, just waiting for some banners and images to get ready, but I will begin finalizing everything by Friday or Saturday.
For now I'd like some OT subtitle recomendations, but please no Capcom bashing subtitles since you end playing and liking their games in the end anyway.
ATM I'm considering using, Karsticles I think, suggested subtitle: "Now selling tickets to Lord Raptor's re-debut!"

OT | The Most Fun You'll Have Being Bodied (A shout out to Creepshow)

OT | The RealStalkers are in Stream Chat (okay, maybe a bad idea)

OT | For Just Pennies a Day You Can Be a Vampire's Savior (my favorite)

EDIT: the Vita versions of UMvC3, SFxT, and BBCS:E will be 30% off this week (50% with plus).

sleepykyo

They were doing that before it became common. It's called Super SF4 this generation.

I got UMVC3 for PS3 really cheap recently. I swear to god there is more slowdown than my 360 version, and more than I have seen at tournies that use PS3. IDK, maybe I am tripping. I haven't played in a long time.

I do have a 2007 PS3, with a 3rd party harddrive. Weird.

Beckx

I got UMVC3 for PS3 really cheap recently. I swear to god there is more slowdown that my 360 version, and more than I have seen at tournies that use PS3. IDK, maybe I a tripping. I haven't played in a long time.

I don't mean to alarm you, but keep an eye on it. The third party hard drive in my launch PS3 went bad a couple of weeks ago. It started with odd slowdown during cinemas in the MGS:R demo. Then large downloads from PSN wouldn't complete and games wouldn't install. Finally hit issues where auto-saving didn't work (system would hang, game would cease functioning correctly). Replaced the hard drive and it took care of all the problems.

It may be something else, but if you start seeing any of that, or get 80010038 errors, be ready (a new 160GB WD Scorpio Black is only $50).

sleepykyo

I got UMVC3 for PS3 really cheap recently. I swear to god there is more slowdown than my 360 version, and more than I have seen at tournies that use PS3. IDK, maybe I am tripping. I haven't played in a long time.

Well it is widely known that UMVC3 is pretty bad on the PS3.

JeTmAn81

I go back and forth between all three versions of UMVC3 (360, PS3, Vita) quite frequently and I don't notice much of a difference in the framerate or timing of combos.

I go back and forth between all three versions of UMVC3 (360, PS3, Vita) quite frequently and I don't notice much of a difference in the framerate or timing of combos.
Clearly you are a liar or a magician, because top tournament players with many championships under their belts like Fanatiq™ would never lie about something like that to cover their own lack of skill.

JeTmAn81

Clearly you are a liar or a magician, because top tournament players with many championships under their belts like Fanatiq™ would never lie about something like that to cover their own lack of skill.

I get the joke, but I just may not be a good enough/precise enough player to tell the difference. I'm not one of the guys who has to have an EVO monitor to play on at all times.

Darkstalkers Resurrection |OT| Mummies, and Zombies, and Werewolves! Oh my!

Offer still stands.

Beckx

Darkstalkers Resurrection |OT| Everyone hold up your $15!

$15, if only. Can't resist the e-capcom limited edition, and I'm just not going to look at my credit card this month. (I swear if there's not a disc in that box, and just a points code...)

I don't mean to alarm you, but keep an eye on it. The third party hard drive in my launch PS3 went bad a couple of weeks ago. It started with odd slowdown during cinemas in the MGS:R demo. Then large downloads from PSN wouldn't complete and games wouldn't install. Finally hit issues where auto-saving didn't work (system would hang, game would cease functioning correctly). Replaced the hard drive and it took care of all the problems.

It may be something else, but if you start seeing any of that, or get 80010038 errors, be ready (a new 160GB WD Scorpio Black is only $50).

Hmm. I'll keep a lookout. I just swapped in a 750gb late last year when I signed up for PS+. I hope just my unique combo of HD brand and old PS3 is just giving Marvel problems specifically

Tizoc

OT | The Most Fun You'll Ever Have Being Bodied (A shout out to Creepshow)

I like this~
@SolarPowered- Heh your's isn't bad too but it feels simple ^_^;
For now I'll just collect the ones I like then before I put up the OT I'll make a vote on it in this thread ;3

Beckx

I like this~
@SolarPowered- Heh your's isn't bad too but it feels simple ^_^;
For now I'll just collect the ones I like then before I put up the OT I'll make a vote on it in this thread ;3

I could make a dozen Werewolves of London inspired ones but they'd be amusing only to me and the other two Warren Zevon fans on GAF.

|OT| I saw Jon Talbain walking with the Queen Bee

|OT| Gonna get a big dish of beef chow mein

|OT| Doing the Werewolves of London Capcom

|OT| Draw Blood

Top Bottom