• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sega Genesis RPG release... no really!

jarrod

Banned
It was originally developed in 1996 by a Taiwanese company, C&E Inc.

Super Fighter Team is doing the localization, OlderGames is doing the manufacturing and distribution (4MB cart, 32KB SRAM). Looks pretty decent, especially by Genesis RPG standards...

bprince1.png
bprince2.png
bprince3.png
bprince4.png
bprince5.png
bprince6.png
bprince7.png
bprince8.png

And the link.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Paladin69 said:
why not just port it to DS or GBA where it could actually sell?

it would be hot on the GBA...

Link316 said:
is this legit?
Yes, it's an authorized, commercial release. (But authorized by Sega? Probably not, and who cares.)

I'm looking forward to this, if only to see a new cartridge Genny release rather than the dregs of previously-unreleased Sega CD games that have been trickling out. I hope the game plays decently, but it looks pretty nice.

belgurdo

Banned
I've always wanted to play a non-Japanese, non-Anglo RPG to see how they tell stories. Where exactly can you buy this?

The colors look a bit rich, I wonder if it's using a hacked mode (128 plus colors onscreen instead of the normal 64)similar to games like Ranger X, and that zelda clone.

BlackClouds said:
The colors look a bit rich, I wonder if it's using a hacked mode (128 plus colors onscreen instead of the normal 64)similar to games like Ranger X, and that zelda clone.

You mean Crusader of Centy, also made by the same folks behind Enger X, NexTech? Yeah, those games looked amazing for the Genny.

Regniws

Might have to go and dust off my old Genny thats sitting in a box in the basement... Old school games always end up giving off a great feeling when you get'em done

BenT

BlackClouds said:
I'm not sure any Genny game used more than 64 colors, despite what rags like GameFan said. (I think they cited Puggsy as one such game.) Ranger-X looked nice and all, but I was under the impression it didn't go beyond 64 colors at once.

I always wondered what the big deal about using 64 at once was. It was in the Genesis' hardware spec, so what was hard about it? Perhaps increased memory requirements? I dunno.

Holy shit!

can someone (former Sega people) now make Phantasy Star: The Return of Alis, and Phantasy Star 5 for the Genesis and or SegaCD :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This is why (and I probably shouldn't delve too deep into this) the translation scene with roms and ISO's is backwards. Too many people are wanting to do obscure SNES/NES game #14827 rather than dedicate time to going through the vast Genesis catalogue that we missed out on.

FightyF

Banned
I'm not sure any Genny game used more than 64 colors, despite what rags like GameFan said. (I think they cited Puggsy as one such game.) Ranger-X looked nice and all, but I was under the impression it didn't go beyond 64 colors at once.

Apparently big games like Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles had more colors as well. VR also did too. This was because of added tech on the carts. Of course, I'm just remembering what I read in a magazine...they could be wrong...I'm not getting this info straight from SEGA.

cvxfreak

I no longer have a Genesis unfortunately. I think a GBA or DS release would be a much more profitable solution, but I guess a Genesis game doesn't hurt.

Gazunta

Fight for Freeform said:
Apparently big games like Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles had more colors as well. VR also did too. This was because of added tech on the carts. Of course, I'm just remembering what I read in a magazine...they could be wrong...I'm not getting this info straight from SEGA.

It wasn't extra hardware, it was just colour interpolation between frames to create the illusion of there being more colours on screen at once. C64 games did it too to create "new" colours beyond the 16 in hardware. A whole heap of Mega Drive games did this...

(Or, translated for the americans...)

It wasn't extra hardware, it was just color interpolation between frames to create the illusion of there being more colors on screen at once. C64 games did it too to create "new" colors beyond the 16 in hardware. A whole heap of Genesis games did this...

BenT

Gazunta said:
It wasn't extra hardware, it was just color interpolation between frames to create the illusion of there being more colors on screen at once. C64 games did it too to create "new" colors beyond the 16 in hardware. A whole heap of Genesis games did this...
So I hear. It'd certainly be nice to see some actual visual proof, though, because I've never noticed it.

Come to think of it, the SNES' vaunted 256-color mode was almost never used, either. Why? (Same for its high-res feature.) Killer Instinct was supposed to have used some special graphics trick (I think Next-Gen said it used 512 colors, which seems ridiculous), and I think Final Fantasy VI may have used 256 colors... I wonder if it did.

[rant about Genesis color]

it sickens me that Genesis could only display 64 colors on screen at once, in hardware. nevermind the software tricks. this is only a modest improvement over the amount of colors that the Master System can display on-screen, 32 colors. (more on that later)

Genesis has a pallete of 512 colors, well THAT should have been, at minimum, the amount displayable on-screen, in hardware. the pallete should have been 4096, at the very least. smaller than SNES color pallete (32,768) but reasonable given the time Genesis hardware was done (1988, released in Japan as the MegaDrive)

back to on-screen displayable colors: it's just mind-boggling to me why Genesis was limited to 64 colors in hardware. the 1-year older 8-bit NEC-Hudson PC-Engine (TurboGrafx) can display at least 4 times as many colors on-screen as Genesis. 256 at least, and possibly all 512 colors, or maybe it is somewhere over 400 colors. whatever the PC-Engine's exact amount of displayable colors is, it is 4 to 8 times as much as Genesis. and the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx does it IN HARDWARE, without tricks.

WHY is Genesis limited to 64 colors on-screen in hardware? I don't know, but I have a guess.
the main graphic-video chips in both the Genesis and the previous-generation Master System are called VDP - video display processor. you will remember that the Saturn also has VDP, actually VDP1 and VDP2. I am just *guessing* (wondering if) the VDP in Genesis is only a modest improvement over the VDP in the Master System - at least as far as the amount of colors displayable on-screen is concerned.
Master System: 32 - Genesis: 64 ....hmmm.... I feel that my theory is helped by the fact that Genesis can only display 80 *sprites* on screen at once. not that much for a 16-bit console. the Master System could do 64 sprites. and even though the Genesis could do more and *larger* sprites than Master System, the Genesis max sprite-size (32x32) was smaller than what the PC-Engine could do (32x64). dispite the fact that Genesis could do more individual sprites (80) than PC-Engine (64). The various color and sprite capabilities would all be determined by what the Genesis VDP can do, no?
the 68000 CPU probably helped Genesis move things around very FAST, and was of great use for all kinds of programming tricks. but, the VDP and its hard-wired, fixed capabilities would determine how many colors on-screen and how many sprites Genesis could display, right? I am not hardware tech expert by any means.

back to my actual ranting....

why is it that the PC-Engine ~ TurboGrafx, ((a console that came out in Japan: Oct 1987 one year before the Sega console came out in Japan: Nov 1988 .... same year launch in the U.S.)), can display so many more colors on-screen in hardware, than the 1-year newer Sega console? I mean what the fuck.

*IF* Sega had done things RIGHT (haha, as in so many other things) the Genesis would have been displaying closer to 4096 colors on screen, and been closer to 8 ~ 16 times *ahead* of the PC-Engine ~ TurboGrafx (256-512 colors) *instead* of being 4 ~ 8 times BEHIND the NEC console as Genesis was (64 colors)

Now you might ask: why *should* Genesis have had the ability to display an astonishing 4096 colors on-screen, or close to it? because that is what the hardware that Genesis was derived from can do. the System16 board of 1986 (two years *older* than Genesis hardware going by MegaDrive launch in 1988). The System16 can do 4096 colors on-screen from a pallete of 32,768.

as I said near the beginning of my rant, the Genesis should've had, at the very least, a 512 color on-screen out of 4096 total capability. still much less than that of its parent, the System16 board (4096 out of 32,768) but still respectible. instead of the *laughable* 64 out of 512 capability that Sega saw fit to give Genesis.

the SNK NEO-GEO btw, has a 4096 out of 65,536 color capability - a good balance of total colors in its pallete and on-screen displayable colors.

the SNES, although nowhere near as HORRIBLE has the Genesis, could have had a better color capability. SNES color pallete: 32,768, is very large, half the size of the NEO-GEO, which is good for a machine that cost half as much. ($200 vs $400) but SNES could have used more colors on screen also. while 256 is not bad, it isnt great either, for a console that came out later than the other 3 (PC-Engine, Genesis, NEO-GEO), and especially compared to an 8-bit console (PC-Engine) that came out 3 year earlier (PC-Engine: 1987 ..... SNES: 1990 Japan) and that can display at least as many colors as SNES (256) if not more (PC-Engine can do at least 256, if not 400+ and possibly upto 512 colors). so best case for SNES: the SNES equals the PC-Engine in displayable colors on screen at once (256) or worse case: PC-Engine beats SNES by 2x in displayable colors, depending on what the actual real amount was for PC-Engine.

something that is for certain though: not counting the expensive NEO-GEO, the PC-Engine is the best as far as the amount of displayable, on-screen simultaneous colors, in hardware. especially given that PC-Engine is older than the other 2 consoles that I am counting (Genesis and SNES)

one more time in case the color amounts got lost to your eyes in those paragraphs ....

PC-Engine~TurboGrafx: 256+ (256-512) - first released: 1987
MegaDrive-Genesis: 64 - first released: 1988
SNES: 256 - first released: 1990

ok now something on topic

this Genesis RPG, Beggar Prince, has several different names. I'll try to come up with a list.

yo Jarrod, you find a list of names too, and we can compare what we've come up with :)

-Beggar Prince
-New Beggar Prince
-Myth On Light
-Xin Qi Gai Wang Zi (its Chinese name I guess)

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Gazunta said:
It wasn't extra hardware, it was just colour interpolation between frames to create the illusion of there being more colours on screen at once. C64 games did it too to create "new" colours beyond the 16 in hardware. A whole heap of Mega Drive games did this...

(Or, translated for the americans...)

H.A.M. ?

Evenball said:

HAM aka Hold and Modify. basicly any 16-bit machine could do it. if C64 did it, then I guess 8-bit machines can do it too. HAM is a software programming trick / hack to get beyond the max, on-screen simultaneous color display limitations that a given system has in its hardware. I cannot explain how it works, I dont remember, I don't know.
(i see that others are already explaining it)

Amiga did it in many games, and so did Genesis for many of its games.

iirc, Amiga was limited to 32 colors on-screen out of a 4096 color pallete. Genesis was limited to 64 colors on-screen out of a 512 color pallete. both Amiga and Genesis had a 68000 CPU. it seems both Amiga and Genesis were good candidates for using HAM in their games.
both had limited amount of maximum on-screen colors displayable + both had a good, strong, fast CPU.

...I totally (and purposely left) HAM *out* of my rant about color, since I wanted to talk about real, actual, true in-hardware on-screen color capabilities.

Paladin69 said:
why not just port it to DS or GBA where it could actually sell?

Genesis has a higher install-base than DS

Genesis has higher screen resolution ( 320 x 224 ) than either GBA or DS

Genesis has, probably, better sound capabilities than GBA, at least this has been true of any Genesis-to-GBA port so far.
(GBA does not have SNES' nice sound chip)

this is a RPG for a SEGA system, not a Nintendo system. why would Nintendo fans even care about a Genesis game?

want portable Beggar Prince? get a Nomad and wait for the release :D

or Genesis emu on GBA? :lol

Kato

Man I really miss all these 2d games. Ain't got nothing to do with nostalgia, I just really mis these kind of games. Thank god voor GBA/DS games and .. Genesis for this game :)

Deku

Banned
Man looking at those 2-D art brings back memories of the 16-bit hayday with the great RPGs that came out during that period.

If i get the job I applied for, I'll try to get a copy of this game.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Nintendo REALLY needs to get a deal with Sega to get Genny games on Revolutions download service. I would like Mircrosoft to get a deal like that with Sega but I want to have all my retro goodness on one console.

Shaheed79 said:
Nintendo REALLY needs to get a deal with Sega to get Genny games on Revolutions download service. I would like Mircrosoft to get a deal like that with Sega but I want to have all my retro goodness on one console.

in Japan, Sega had a download service to play MegaDrive and NEC PC-Engine games on Dreamcast.

Gazunta

Evenball said:

C64 didn't have H.A.M. (which I seem to remember was part of the Amiga hardware, but I may very well be wrong). What the C64 did was (for example) in software make a pixel white and then, on the next frame, make it purple. Do that at 50 / 60 FPS and voila, you now have a pink colour on screen that the C64 didn't have in hardware.

jarrod

Banned
speedpop said:
This is why (and I probably shouldn't delve too deep into this) the translation scene with roms and ISO's is backwards. Too many people are wanting to do obscure SNES/NES game #14827 rather than dedicate time to going through the vast Genesis catalogue that we missed out on.
There's tons of MegaDrive/CD RPGs I'd like to see translated...

-Dragon Slayer: Eiyuu Densetsu (Sega/Falcom)
-Dragon Slayer II: Eiyuu Densetsu (Sega/Falcom)
-Langrisser II (NCS/Masaya)
-Lord Monarch (Sega/Falcom)
-Madou Monogatari (Compile)
-Rent-A-Hero (Sega/Sega-AM2)
-Surging Aura (Sega/Japan Media Programming)

-After Armageddon Gaiden (Sega/Micro Design)
-Aisle Lord (Wolfteam)
-Shadowrun (Compile)
-Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (Sega/Falcom) *never released

...really, it seems like Monster World IV is the only decent MD translation we've ever gotten. Though to be honest, I think PC Engine gets far more neglected by the translation scene than MegaDrive considering all the classics that never came here (Tengai Makyo, Emerald Dragon, Ys, Xak, etc).

did you guys see this
http://www.sega-16.com/Feature- Left in Japan RPGs.htm
http://www.sega-16.com/Feature- Left in Japan RPGs 2.htm

MegaDrive and MegaCD RPGs that stayed in Japan

one in particular: Faeria or Fhey Area (Wolfteam) 1992, MegaCD
I wanted this one when I saw it in EGM's International Outlook

fheyarea_back.jpg

ahh, or something even more obscure, a MegaDrive RPG that even *Japan* did not get....

Moon Dancer

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=26899@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU&output=gplain

Subject: more on MD Fan and Beep! MD
date: 1990-08-09

Moon Dancer [Sega] (a long awaited RPG masterpiece)

28geq

.........cancelled *never released

add that one to your lists, Jarrod :)

oh yeah, almost forgot, another unreleased(?) MegaDrive RPG... er, Action-RPG:
Vasome or Vazome (Treco) - better known as: Dando

28gfp

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8501@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU&output=gplain
Subject: SEGA NEWS -part 3
Date: 1990-11-04

Dec. ?, Vazome, Action RPG, Treco, 4 Meg,
[will be "Dando" in US]

Dando definitally never made it to the Genesis, but I am wondering if maybe
it was released on MegaDrive under the name Vazome or Vasome ?

edit: [ ATTENTION: Sega and RPG fans in general: tell me what you think
(or know) about the three RPGs in this post. the first one actually came out,
in Japan only. the other 2 apparently did not even make it to Japanese release ]

Top Bottom