• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carnage Heart EXA (PSP) date for March 19th in North America on PSN

mAcOdIn

Awesome. Does this have the "AI" customization of the original Playstation game? If so I'm totally getting this if it runs on Vita.

fvng

Holy shit.

Awesome. Does this have the "AI" customization of the original Playstation game? If so I'm totally getting this if it runs on Vita.

I need to know this too, can you still program the robots in this version?

mAcOdIn

That seems a lot different. For this game it looks like you design a routine for what happens when you push certain buttons, in other words you control your mech yourself, in the original game you actually made a rudimentary ai that would fight for you, you didn't press anything during battles. Hmmm, I may have to wait and let others try this out first, I'm not interested in actually controlling the mech myself. Perhaps it has a fully automated mode and they just haven't shown it yet.

Eusis

The PSP refuses to die even in the U.S.!
The ability to sell digital games gives it a lot of longevity.

Actually, I wonder how things would be right now if digital really, REALLY took off with the PSP? Like something such as Type-0 reliably selling several hundred thousand through DD alone? Probably would be seeing more still localized right now, more like the PS2 at this point after the PS3's release and less like, well, a zombie.

Sqorgar

Banned
That seems a lot different. For this game it looks like you design a routine for what happens when you push certain buttons, in other words you control your mech yourself, in the original game you actually made a rudimentary ai that would fight for you, you didn't press anything during battles. Hmmm, I may have to wait and let others try this out first, I'm not interested in actually controlling the mech myself. Perhaps it has a fully automated mode and they just haven't shown it yet.

According to this:
Next, select the Button Input Chip and place it after "START", which signifies the beginning of the program. The Button Input Chip tells the program that you will be using the PSP controller to control your OKE, and, therefore, that you will be creating a manually-controlled OKE.
It implies that maybe being about to control your OKE directly is a choice. You place a button trigger chip which is then linked to lock-on and fire chips. That's sort of how the original Carnage Heart worked, except the lock-on chip would branch depending on whether or not it successfully locked on or not.

I think this has a lot of potential. Rather than using buttons to fire directly, perhaps you could use the button for indirect control, like changing OKE states or modifying how automatic actions perform.

mAcOdIn

According to this:

It implies that maybe being about to control your OKE directly is a choice. You place a button trigger chip which is then linked to lock-on and fire chips. That's sort of how the original Carnage Heart worked, except the lock-on chip would branch depending on whether or not it successfully locked on or not.

I think this has a lot of potential. Rather than using buttons to fire directly, perhaps you could use the button for indirect control, like changing OKE states or modifying how automatic actions perform.
It could. I'll have to wait and see.

Either way I'm glad I got the heads up and know to even look for this now.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Actually, I wonder how things would be right now if digital really, REALLY took off with the PSP? Like something such as Type-0 reliably selling several hundred thousand through DD alone? Probably would be seeing more still localized right now, more like the PS2 at this point after the PS3's release and less like, well, a zombie.

It's really too bad Sony did not ramp up PSP downloads earlier. When they first started, it was like one game every blue moon with no fanfare. Then the Go came out and they suddenly had to make a big deal of what was still a somewhat unimpressive catalog, then the Vita came out and most everyone's left town.

Tain

So this was out in 2010 in Japan? Any franchise experts around here with opinions on it? Is it the best in the series?

mAcOdIn

Oooh, so according to this:
The biggest difference in Carnage Heart EXA compared to the rest of the series is that players can control the robots they program. Which ultimately wins? An autopiloted robot, or a robot controlled by human? This is the theme for Carnage Heart EXA.
from an interview with Masaki Iizuka at Pocket gamer: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/Carnage+Heart+EXA/news.asp?c=47529

It really does imply that you can either play it like the original or take direct control. I like that, more options are better so if it has both I can't complain, heck maybe I'll even prefer the new way.

Mondriaan

According to this:

Yeah, you can choose to make the OKE completely automated from what little I played of this game. IIRC the tutorial will ask you to place some chips that will perform basic actions in a loop. I stopped playing because it seemed a little story heavy (and I had no idea what was going on) and figured I might get back to it later.

Top Bottom