• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

WoodenLung
Member
(03-08-2013, 11:01 PM)
WoodenLung's Avatar

Originally Posted by Globox_82

buahahahah someone please tell me this did not happen? hahaha omg

It did. But sim city UK is some fansite.
Resilient
Member
(03-08-2013, 11:01 PM)
Resilient's Avatar

Originally Posted by imjust1n

It's funny how people can complain about only online when they don't play the campaign of cod and go straight to multiplayer? My Internet doesn't stop so why complain? Oh I know why because you had to wait to play the game oh that's why you hate the game. Lol

This right here. This is now acceptable posting here at NeoGAF. youbeststartbelievingintrollthreads.jpg
GetemMa
Banned
(03-08-2013, 11:04 PM)

Originally Posted by mavs

SimCity 4 absolutely was about bullshit like placing bus stops and micromanaging sliders. And it was a fun game.

But they had 10 years to improve on it.

Have you played the new SimCity? It is annoying bullshit masquerading as depth. Give me those sliders all day compared to this thing. This is micromanaging on a whole different, more annoying level.
Flunkie
Member
(03-08-2013, 11:06 PM)
Flunkie's Avatar
I'd buy it if it were on Steam. There. Now the viral EA people will read this and maybe get a clue.

yeah right
xJavonta
Member
(03-08-2013, 11:06 PM)
xJavonta's Avatar
I really want to believe you and I want to play it myself, but as long as this Always-online DRM is still here, it's not happening.
mavs
Member
(03-08-2013, 11:07 PM)
mavs's Avatar

Originally Posted by GetemMa

Have you played the new SimCity? It is annoying bullshit masquerading as depth. Give me those sliders all day compared to this thing. This is micromanaging on a whole different, more annoying level.

Well yes, the point is they didn't improve very much over a decade. Still, I'll take it over trying to get the school bus range just perfect. And at least you don't have to make sure your bus stops won't block road access for buildings.
Haunted
(03-08-2013, 11:11 PM)
Haunted's Avatar
What do you mean, small maps aside? Those are my biggest gripe.

I'd probably just give it a shot if they made the cities bigger, let me terraform the ground and directly influence all of the map, not just some separated squares in the middle of larger regions.

I actually do like the idea of several smaller communities slowly growing together to form a naturally larger one, I think that could be cool.


edit: oh and they should put it on Steam, obviously.
Last edited by Haunted; 03-08-2013 at 11:14 PM.
i-Lo
Member
(03-08-2013, 11:11 PM)
i-Lo's Avatar

Originally Posted by imjust1n

It's funny how people can complain about only online when they don't play the campaign of cod and go straight to multiplayer? My Internet doesn't stop so why complain? Oh I know why because you had to wait to play the game oh that's why you hate the game. Lol

You complain that people are combining service with quality of the product and is therefore unfair to paint the whole thing with the same brush. However, because being connected is a part of the game design itself people have every right to be pissed about a game they paid for and can not play or when they do it may crash and the player may lose his/her save.
Corto
Member
(03-08-2013, 11:12 PM)
Corto's Avatar

Originally Posted by imjust1n

What does tripe mean? Lol

Not a viral market, I enjoy the game and want to see if people agree instead of bashing the game because of being online only.

The game is broken. A non-functional game is a bad game.
Rebel Leader
THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
(03-08-2013, 11:13 PM)
Rebel Leader's Avatar

Originally Posted by imjust1n

It's funny how people can complain about only online when they don't play the campaign of cod and go straight to multiplayer? My Internet doesn't stop so why complain? Oh I know why because you had to wait to play the game oh that's why you hate the game. Lol

Call of duty is playable OFFLINE with bots.
^atleast the black ops

Go on

What if your internet does stop? What if they shut down the servers within 5 years?
Spl1nter
Member
(03-08-2013, 11:15 PM)
Spl1nter's Avatar

Originally Posted by GetemMa

Have you played the new SimCity? It is annoying bullshit masquerading as depth. Give me those sliders all day compared to this thing. This is micromanaging on a whole different, more annoying level.

The sliders make a lot less sense than what is in the game now. It was a hell lot more tedious managing services in simcity 4. Need more police services in simcity 4, destroy current buidlings, place down station, change sliders on both stations. Need more police services now, click upgrade add appropriate resource.

But ya no doubt, having to bulldoze your city to place bus or subway stops or having to put down sewage pipes was not tedious at all.
Last edited by Spl1nter; 03-08-2013 at 11:17 PM.
imjust1n
Member
(03-09-2013, 12:03 AM)
imjust1n's Avatar

Originally Posted by Corto

The game is broken. A non-functional game is a bad game.

I'm on the game right now? I've been on the game for the past 2 days haven't had any issues.

I think all of you are over exaggerating a bit too much.
imjust1n
Member
(03-09-2013, 12:07 AM)
imjust1n's Avatar

Originally Posted by Eusis

To me it's less you're "not allowed to like what I don't like" and more you don't have a right to be so utterly dismissive about our issues. There's admittedly some bandwagoning here, though partially because if want to make a point we HAVE to avoid buying the game, but these are legitimate, serious issues. But it's not even a matter of taste, it's a matter of releasing a product that's fundamentally broken (for now at least) because they wanted to go with a consumer unfriendly DRM set up rather than just have a somewhat crippled offline mode and an online mode that tries interesting new things. We'd probably still be mocking their servers going down if they offered that and they got overloaded anyway, but you have your game and you can enjoy it.

And it's worth remembering everyone has finite time and as I recall the waits CAN be long with intermittent disconnections, and unlike an arcade they're big and should reasonably be able to predict how many would play and prepare for that, so I think it's fair to be angry when they tried to force something like this on everyone and screwed up.

I have the right to say what I want its called the internet, no one is happy on the internet.
orznge
Banned
(03-09-2013, 12:09 AM)

Originally Posted by imjust1n

I have the right to say what I want its called the internet, no one is happy on the internet.

no one's self-aware or smart either lol
famousmortimer
Banned
(03-09-2013, 12:12 AM)
famousmortimer's Avatar
It's not exactly what i wanted but now that I'm understanding the changes and why they exist I agree that it's a very good game. I'm looking forward to 2015 when it's playable.
crazy monkey
holds a masters in liberal arts
(03-09-2013, 12:16 AM)
crazy monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheNatural

Posts from other threads. Viral marketer or batshit fanboy? What a defense force.

:O that is a defense alright.
soundahfekz
Member
(03-09-2013, 12:16 AM)
soundahfekz's Avatar

Originally Posted by imjust1n

I have the right to say what I want its called the internet, no one is happy on the internet.

You have the right, huh?

ok fuck this im getting popcorn hahaha
Zeliard
another, slower tempo, made half of dreams
(03-09-2013, 12:17 AM)
Zeliard's Avatar

Originally Posted by imjust1n

no one is happy on the internet.

Poignant bit of philosophical wisdom
Freki
Member
(03-09-2013, 12:31 AM)
Freki's Avatar

Originally Posted by imjust1n

It's funny how people can complain about only online when they don't play the campaign of cod and go straight to multiplayer? My Internet doesn't stop so why complain? Oh I know why because you had to wait to play the game oh that's why you hate the game. Lol

What kind of logic is that? Am I in bizarro world? What's your point?
It's ok for simcity to be completely unplayable 90% of the time because other games have multiplayer components?
I'm always online as well - for some strange reason I couldn't play in my own private region the whole day....
Bedlam
Member
(03-09-2013, 12:32 AM)
Bedlam's Avatar
I'm starting to think the OP is a viral marketer for EA. In the other Sim City threads he defended the game in the most idiotic ways and now he's starting new threads to praise the game.

And no, it's fundamentally flawed and limited by its online-centric structure.

Mind you, I haven't read this thread yet so I might judge a little too quickly, but this is really the most moronic post I've read on Gaf ever:

Originally Posted by imjust1n

We dont need a billion people complaining at the same place at the same time after you just saw someone complaining then going on twitch and the streams and complain

it annoying stop it. I dont care if you cant wait. I paid money too and im perfectly fine waiting or playing another game. Games are not real life.

Is this guy a real person?
Last edited by Bedlam; 03-09-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Dreamwriter
Member
(03-09-2013, 12:34 AM)
Dreamwriter's Avatar
There's a lot of negativity surrounding this game, but I agree that once you can actually play the game, it's really damn fun and addictive. At least it was when Cheetah Speed worked. I even like the multiplayer stuff, though I don't like how two cities in a region can be right next to each other and not be allowed to interact because the highway stops just short of connecting them (one of my two SimCity-playing friends accidentally choose one of those disconnected spots for his city).

As for the small cities, I would love to have large cities I can use for just playing around offline, but the smaller cities add quite a bit of strategy and complexity to the game, keeping it interesting as a game rather than just a simulation toy - it forces you to plan ahead (or do some serious remodeling). I had a city I was making, I got too caught up in just growing the population (which was mostly commuting to a friend's city for work) and keeping them happy, eventually I realized that I had made the city perfect as a tourism town by spending way too much on transportation and having more Commercial zones than Industry, but by that point I had to really cram the tourist traps in there. When I play next (which will be after they return Cheetah Speed to us), I'm gonna have to do some remodeling of my city to better work as a tourist town.
Last edited by Dreamwriter; 03-09-2013 at 12:36 AM.
sunnz
Member
(03-09-2013, 12:35 AM)
sunnz's Avatar
ASIDE from the DRM, I am interested in buying it BUT there is a few things that is annoying me/ putting me off.

That is the small area in which you can make your city and the general lack of content/ not that in depth( like bike travel, subway and many other things not in) It feels very limited.
Retro
The Tree of Liberty
(03-09-2013, 12:35 AM)
Retro's Avatar
I feel like the Moderators are watching this thread, but aren't shutting it down because they're curious to see just how deep of a rabbit hole can be dug.

It reminds me of the old Looney Toons cartoon where the Tasmanian Devil, spitting and sputtering as he spins wildly, digs himself deeper and deeper underground like a drill.
Freki
Member
(03-09-2013, 12:36 AM)
Freki's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bedlam

I'm starting to think the OP is a viral marketer for EA. In the other Sim City threads he defended the game in the most idiotic ways and now he's starting new threads to praise the game.

And no, it's fundamentally flawed and limited by its online-centric structure.

That's what I thought at first.

But then I realized that a viral marketer who would want to keep his job would need to use coherent logic. Right?
Retro
The Tree of Liberty
(03-09-2013, 12:41 AM)
Retro's Avatar

Originally Posted by sunnz

That is the small area in which you can make your city and the general lack of content/ not that in depth( like bike travel, subway and many other things not in) It feels very limited.

That's all coming later, for the value price of $39.99 every 5 months. Look for SimCity: Metropolis in October, SimCity: Down on the Farm in March 2014, SimCity: Railway to Adventure in September 2014, SimCity: Seasons in February 2015 and SimCity: Events and Adventures featuring Katy Perry in August 2015, just in time for the 2016 launch of SimCity 6.

Originally Posted by Freki

That's what I thought at first.

But then I realized that a viral marketer who would want to keep his job would need to use coherent logic. Right?

They're also usually subtle.
Currygan
Member
(03-09-2013, 12:49 AM)
Currygan's Avatar
game might be good and even great, but the bollocks surrounding it make a non-purchase pretty damn sure for me
Untalkative_Bunny
Member
(03-09-2013, 12:58 AM)
Untalkative_Bunny's Avatar

Originally Posted by Retro

That's all coming later, for the value price of $39.99 every 5 months. Look for SimCity: Metropolis in October, SimCity: Down on the Farm in March 2014, SimCity: Railway to Adventure in September 2014, SimCity: Seasons in February 2015 and SimCity: Events and Adventures featuring Katy Perry in August 2015, just in time for the 2016 launch of SimCity 6.




Simcity is now a social game with microtransactions and lots of dlc. No more stupid fan made mods or playing by yourself. and only $470 for the whole game once all the addons are released. yippee.
Dreamwriter
Member
(03-09-2013, 01:03 AM)
Dreamwriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Untalkative_Bunny

Simcity is now a social game with microtransactions and lots of dlc. No more stupid fan made mods or playing by yourself. and only $470 for the whole game once all the addons are released. yippee.

Are you being sarcastic? It currently has what, 3 DLC (the city packs that you get in the Deluxe set)? And is designed around allowing easy fan-made mods.
Bedlam
Member
(03-09-2013, 01:03 AM)
Bedlam's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freki

That's what I thought at first.

But then I realized that a viral marketer who would want to keep his job would need to use coherent logic. Right?

I don't know. He could be a step ahead of us and pretend to be a clueless child so we don't suspect him to be a viral marketer.
Untalkative_Bunny
Member
(03-09-2013, 01:05 AM)
Untalkative_Bunny's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dreamwriter

Are you being sarcastic? It currently has what, 3 DLC (the city packs that you get in the Deluxe set)? And is designed around allowing easy fan-made mods.

nope. apparently the sims 3 costs $470 if you buy all the addons. And I'll believe the fan mods when I see them.

Pretty sure they made modding sims 3 a lot harder than sims 2, btw.
Last edited by Untalkative_Bunny; 03-09-2013 at 01:08 AM.
br0ken_shad0w
Member
(03-09-2013, 01:06 AM)
br0ken_shad0w's Avatar
There's a difference between liking/enjoying the game and being passive-aggressive as fuck and shifting the blame. OP's recent posts pretty much tell it all.
Nibiru
Member
(03-09-2013, 01:08 AM)
Nibiru's Avatar
Servers were actually good today. I'm not excusing the epic disaster this launch was at all but the game itself is very good. While playing it I never once wanted to go back and play any of the previous SimCity games and I loved them.
ambientmystic
Member
(03-09-2013, 01:10 AM)
ambientmystic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dreamwriter

Are you being sarcastic? It currently has what, 3 DLC (the city packs that you get in the Deluxe set)? And is designed around allowing easy fan-made mods.

Fan made mods in an always online, persistently connected game? I'll believe it when I see it.
Art Teitlebaum
Member
(03-09-2013, 01:14 AM)
Art Teitlebaum's Avatar

Originally Posted by imjust1n

I think all of you are over exaggerating a bit too much.

See, comments like these make you look either like a paid viral or a troll. Just sayin. (I have the right, this is the internet.)
Dreamwriter
Member
(03-09-2013, 01:16 AM)
Dreamwriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Untalkative_Bunny

nope. apparently the sims 3 costs $470 if you buy all the addons. And I'll believe the fan mods when I see them.

Pretty sure they made modding sims 3 a lot harder than sims 2, btw.

This isn't Sims 3 we're talking about, but SimCity (5). Of course Sims 3 has tons of addons, it's a game that's been out for 5 years, and they decided to keep releasing addons instead of Sims 4. SimCity as it currently is has 3 DLC at $10 a piece or $20 for the three if bought with the game. As for modding, this is what Ocean Quigley said about it:

“We know modding is hugely important to our community. We know the reason why people are still playing SimCity 4 ten years later is because the modding community has kept it alive. [SimCity engine] GlassBox is built to be moddable, but beyond that we haven’t announced anything.”

Last edited by Dreamwriter; 03-09-2013 at 01:18 AM.
mattiewheels
And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
(03-09-2013, 01:17 AM)
mattiewheels's Avatar
There's an official thread for this....right?
Retro
The Tree of Liberty
(03-09-2013, 01:19 AM)
Retro's Avatar

Originally Posted by mattiewheels

There's an official thread for this....right?

Seems like there's actually 4 or 5 of them at the moment, actually.
Dreamwriter
Member
(03-09-2013, 01:20 AM)
Dreamwriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by mattiewheels

There's an official thread for this....right?

GAF isn't really about huge megathreads anymore, they'd prefer lots of little threads on different topics.
eznark
john deere tramp stamp
(03-09-2013, 01:22 AM)
eznark's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dreamwriter

This isn't Sims 3 we're talking about, but SimCity (5). Of course Sims 3 has tons of addons, it's a game that's been out for 5 years, and they decided to keep releasing addons instead of Sims 4. SimCity as it currently is has 3 DLC at $10 a piece or $20 for the three if bought with the game. As for modding, this is what Ocean Quigley said about it:

I imagine he also said the game would be playable.
Untalkative_Bunny
Member
(03-09-2013, 01:23 AM)
Untalkative_Bunny's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dreamwriter

This isn't Sims 3 we're talking about, but SimCity (5). Of course Sims 3 has tons of addons, it's a game that's been out for 5 years, and they decided to keep releasing addons instead of Sims 4. SimCity as it currently is has 3 DLC at $10 a piece or $20 for the three if bought with the game. As for modding, this is what Ocean Quigley said about it:

here is sp3000 wrote when I asked about simcity mods:

I'm pretty sure that will turn out to be about as true as this http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/dice-were...ing-mod-tools/

If mod tools ever release for a game, then they are usually committed to from release, even if they are not out the first day. See Skyrim. See Crysis 2.

EA has a history of blocking mods in games. Can anyone even name the last EA made game that supported mods?

And I'm thinking the reason they made Simcity they way they did was so they could push dlc and addons to those whales, like they do with the Sims 3.
mattiewheels
And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
(03-09-2013, 01:24 AM)
mattiewheels's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dreamwriter

GAF isn't really about huge megathreads anymore, they'd prefer lots of little threads on different topics.

True, a thread for each place on the doll that EA touched us, ha.
Philia
Member
(03-09-2013, 01:52 AM)
Philia's Avatar

Originally Posted by mattiewheels

True, a thread for each place on the doll that EA touched us, ha.

I really want to make a thread about how perfect SimCity is turning out to be to a model game for fleecing whales. With all of them expansion packs and the like for 20 bucks each. I'm calling it right now. :\ But hey, people have money to blow. I just wish there's a better way to kill this fucking trend though. Its just disgusting.
BrLvgThrChmstry
Banned
(03-09-2013, 02:01 AM)
BrLvgThrChmstry's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dreamwriter

This isn't Sims 3 we're talking about, but SimCity (5). Of course Sims 3 has tons of addons, it's a game that's been out for 5 years, and they decided to keep releasing addons instead of Sims 4. SimCity as it currently is has 3 DLC at $10 a piece or $20 for the three if bought with the game. As for modding, this is what Ocean Quigley said about it:

No offense but the same was said in regards to another franchise under EA's watch and then DICE played the backpedal game and BF3 is completely modless (and will continue to be). SimCity will be no different. It will in fact be much worst. They don't want your praise or loyalty unless its in the form of money.
Jac_Solar
Member
(03-09-2013, 03:41 AM)
Jac_Solar's Avatar

Originally Posted by SteveWinwood

It's the same as simcity 4 medium size. I'd probably fill it up in an hour or so.

I read a thread on Simtropolis where a guy said that, while the biggest map sizes are similar to the regular Sim City 4 medium, the buildings are much larger, which puts the scale out of whack.

Maxis originally told us that SC2013's tile size would be 2 km by 2 km, or about the same size as the 'medium' tile from SC4. I originally found this to be mildly acceptable, as SC4's medium tile is respectable in size. However, I now realize that while the tile may indeed be 4 km^2 in area according to whatever standards of measuring they use, the implications of this are highly misleading. This is because the scale of plopables in SC2013 are FAR bigger than those in SC4. Really, the amount of space you have to play with is closer to the 1 km by 1 km or 'small' tile from SC4.

http://community.simtropolis.com/top...bles-is-large/
Last edited by Jac_Solar; 03-09-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Open Source
Member
(03-09-2013, 04:12 AM)
I like the whole online thing, server problems nothwithstanding. Dislike the forced interdependency resulting from the small city size, even if it makes online play more interesting.

And of course I hate the small city size. Used up all the space in a couple days and now feel like there's really no reason to keep playing. Simcity to me was always about making the biggest, most populous city possible, with different sections of the city having their own distinct characteristics, but all connected logically and visually together. Seven by seven city blocks is not cutting it. Not even by half.
bennyc12
Member
(03-09-2013, 04:34 AM)
bennyc12's Avatar

Originally Posted by imjust1n

I have the right to say what I want its called the internet, no one is happy on the internet.

GAF Terms of Service say otherwise
RionaaM
Member
(03-09-2013, 05:32 AM)
RionaaM's Avatar

Originally Posted by Art Teitlebaum

See, comments like these make you look either like a paid viral or a troll. Just sayin. (I have the right, this is the internet.)

Well, about that...


Originally Posted by imjust1n

If you guys keep complaining its not actually fixing the problem youre just being annoying.

Originally Posted by imjust1n

We dont need a billion people complaining at the same place at the same time after you just saw someone complaining then going on twitch and the streams and complain
it annoying stop it.

Originally Posted by imjust1n

Complaining about you not able to get online is not going to fix the problem....If you are that mad return the game and dont bother with it.

Looks like you don't have a right to complain. I guess that right doesn't apply to everyone, you know?
BajiBoxer
Member
(03-09-2013, 06:19 AM)
BajiBoxer's Avatar
From what I've seen, it doesn't look like a bad game, but it also doesn't look like it is nearly as interesting as its predecessors. Sim City 2000 was a great game for many years and people still buy it today. This one looks like I'd be done with it in a week, if not sooner.
Hero_of_the_Day
Member
(03-09-2013, 06:32 AM)
Hero_of_the_Day's Avatar

Originally Posted by imjust1n

I think all of you are over exaggerating a bit too much.

Yep. EA asked sites to stop running advertisements for the game, disabled a bunch of features to take pressure off the servers, and is now going to give out a free game to buyers, all over the crazy exaggerations of the GAF hive-mind.
Valnen
Member
(03-09-2013, 06:50 AM)
Valnen's Avatar

Originally Posted by bennyc12

GAF Terms of Service say otherwise

Is it really against the terms of service to have a controversial opinion and to disagree with other users?

Originally Posted by QisTopTier

Why should someone have to wait or not be able to play a game they payed for hmm?

Because that's what happens to online games when they go down?
Last edited by Valnen; 03-09-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Thread Tools