• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

LiK
(03-12-2013, 05:13 AM)
http://grumpygamer.com/2304836

Now that The Cave is done and unleashed on an unsuspecting world (ok, we did do a bunch of PR, so it wasn't exactly unsuspecting), it's time for me to move on from Double Fine and plot my next move.

So many games left to be designed.

I want to thank all the amazing people at Double Fine for all their hard work on The Cave. It was a true pleasure to work with every one of them over the past two years. So much fun. I will miss them all. And of course to Tim for creating the opportunity to come there and make The Cave.

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to post some behind the scenes pictures we took during the game's development and stuff like this...

That's a complete map of The Cave exported from Maya by designer J.P. LeBreton. Bonus points if you can figure out what the pink dots are.

For the short term, Clayton Kauzlaric and I have been toiling away on another iOS side project that I'm going to focus on over the next few months. It's called Scurvy Scallywags in The Voyage to Discover the Ultimate Sea Shanty: A Musical Match-3 Pirate RPG. I'll post some screen shots in the next few days.

I also have that PAX Australia keynote to write. How did I ever let them talk me into doing that. So much fun. So much pain. Maybe I'll just do a 45 minute Q and A session.

Lime
(03-12-2013, 05:14 AM)
Lucasarts re-hiring after the iOS side project?
zroid
(03-12-2013, 05:15 AM)
hmmm...
Zefah
This is now the second time he's joined a publisher, put out a mediocre game, and left immediately afterward?

I still think he's a funny guy.
wwm0nkey
Wonder what DF is going to do after the kickstarter game. Tim said they would be looking at investment options for Psychonauts 2 right?
SalsaShark
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(03-12-2013, 05:16 AM)
I expected this, to be honest, but I still didnt want it to happen because having Ron and Tim on the same company was just too dreamy.
Pyrokai
(03-12-2013, 05:16 AM)
Noooooo.....what does this mean for the Kickstarter game???

I can't believe he's leaving. I feel like this company was catered for the Tim and Ron duo. Is he leaving the video game business entirely?
Zefah
(03-12-2013, 05:17 AM)
Maybe Disney did give him the opportunity to "make the game he wants to make" with the Monkey Island franchise!
axisofweevils
Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
(03-12-2013, 05:18 AM)
Sad news. I loved The Cave.
Guess this means no DLC. :(
SalsaShark
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(03-12-2013, 05:18 AM)

Originally Posted by Pyrokai

nothing, he wasn't involved

I mean sure he probably looked at it once and said "yeah I like this, I dont like that" but he has nothing to do with the project

also..

Is he leaving the video game business entirely?

how about reading the OP
LuchaShaq
Banned
(03-12-2013, 05:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Zefah

This is now the second time he's joined a publisher, put out a mediocre game, and left immediately afterward?

Calling deathspank medicore is far too kind.
exmachina64
(03-12-2013, 05:19 AM)
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
BearPawB
(03-12-2013, 05:20 AM)

I can't believe he's leaving. I feel like this company was catered for the Tim and Ron duo. Is he leaving the video game business entirely?

Was he involved at all in the kickstarter? Besides basic idea throwing around?

Ron is a rambling man. I never felt like he was a double fine member. Rather a friend who they wanted to make one specific game with
FStop7
(03-12-2013, 05:20 AM)
Pending studio name change to Single Okay?
Alchemy
(03-12-2013, 05:21 AM)

I don't believe Gilbert had/has anything to do with Reds.
iuxion
(03-12-2013, 05:22 AM)
Terrible news.
Zefah
(03-12-2013, 05:22 AM)

Originally Posted by LuchaShaq

Calling deathspank medicore is far too kind.

It was a competent game. The humor just didn't click with me at all. I imagine that, if you could get behind the humor, the game would have been enjoyable.
ZoddGutts
(03-12-2013, 05:23 AM)

At this point of he's career he's a better fit for writing rather than leading/directing games.
Aaron

It was a competent game. The humor just didn't click with me at all. I imagine that, if you could get behind the humor, the game would have been enjoyable.

Much like the Cave, it was too clumsy mechanically for that to be true.
Zeliard

Wasn't a GAF poster one of the primary writers on Deathspank? Thought I recalled seeing some posts to that effect.
Aquamarine
GAF's Resident Waifu
(03-12-2013, 05:24 AM)
GOD DAMN IT. NO!!!

Ron Gilbert...we need you working with Tim Schafer. :-(
Lime

Originally Posted by Zeliard

Wasn't a GAF poster one of the primary writers on Deathspank? Thought I recall seeing some posts to that effect.

Yep, I can't recall the name though.
TucoBenedictoPacifico

Originally Posted by SalsaShark

nothing, he wasn't involved

I mean sure he probably looked at it once and said "yeah I like this, I dont like that" but he has nothing to do with the project

They even joked in the Kickstarter pitch about his contribution to the project being close to nothing.

Schafer: "We also have Ron Gilbert. Maybe he will help".
*Gilbert gives a grumpy look and closes the door of his office*
Schafer (faking confidence): "Yeah, he will help".
jett
Banned
(03-12-2013, 05:28 AM)
Unsurprising but still sad. It always seemed he was just there for The Cave.
SalsaShark
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(03-12-2013, 05:28 AM)

Originally Posted by TucoBenedictoPacifico

They even joked in the Kickstarter pitch about his contribution to the project being close to nothing.

ha, yeah, I remember that
GreatCharleston
(03-12-2013, 05:29 AM)
So we're not gonna get a sequel to The Cave now?
kurahador
(03-12-2013, 05:31 AM)
The Cave took 2 years to make? What the hell....
d1rtn4p
(03-12-2013, 05:33 AM)
Hmmmm why does this sound like mostly terrible news to me? Let's hope he gets started on kickstarting a spiritual sequel to Monkey Island 2!
Finaika
(03-12-2013, 05:33 AM)
no
Tan
(03-12-2013, 05:34 AM)

Originally Posted by SalsaShark

I expected this, to be honest, but I still didnt want it to happen because having Ron and Tim on the same company was just too dreamy.

Yeah, I'm feeling the same way. It sounds like Ron has a lot of ideas and doesn't ever want to stop to work on something else.
SalsaShark
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(03-12-2013, 05:37 AM)

Originally Posted by kurahador

? why wouldnt it?

not only just, you know, "games take time", but it also wasnt the lead project at DoubleFine.

Also, SEGA paid the bills.
Hot Coldman
(03-12-2013, 05:38 AM)

Originally Posted by kurahador

The Cave's development cycle was as long as your average dev cycle, yes
Azure Dream
(03-12-2013, 05:40 AM)

Originally Posted by TucoBenedictoPacifico

I took that as an implication that he would be helping, actually.
Phatmac
(03-12-2013, 05:41 AM)
Good luck to whatever you do after this Ron!
TucoBenedictoPacifico
(03-12-2013, 05:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Azure Dream

I took that as an implication that he would be helping, actually.

I always took it as an implication that his input, while not entirely excluded, was supposed to be limited at best.
FStop7
(03-12-2013, 05:44 AM)
I never got the impression from the Kickstarter campaign that Gilbert was going to be significantly involved.
LiK
(03-12-2013, 05:58 AM)

Originally Posted by FStop7

I never got the impression from the Kickstarter campaign that Gilbert was going to be significantly involved.

yea, he was just in the pitch video for humor, iirc.
fastkilr
(03-12-2013, 06:01 AM)
Damn. Hope there are creative options on the table. Always good to see more from him.
Eusis
(03-12-2013, 06:05 AM)

Originally Posted by FStop7

The most that likely could've happened (and probably did, and still will) were jokes being bounced off of Ron Gilbert along with everyone else working there to see how good they were. Unofficial QA I guess.
Inorigo
(03-12-2013, 06:21 AM)

Originally Posted by wwm0nkey

Wonder what DF is going to do after the kickstarter game. Tim said they would be looking at investment options for Psychonauts 2 right?

DF will be fine. They have a pretty steady stream of downloadable titles going thanks to their in-office game jams.

Ron will have a Kickstarter going before the end of the year.
Sqorgar
Banned
(03-12-2013, 06:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Zeliard

Wasn't a GAF poster one of the primary writers on Deathspank? Thought I recalled seeing some posts to that effect.

I think it was Denis Dyack.
Skybound
(03-12-2013, 06:55 AM)
The Cave was definitely not for everyone, but I loved my time with it. Nice little idea, fun implementation and suitably balanced tone too. Puzzles were fun, and clearly spirited within the "Choose your own adventure" mould.
inm8num2
(03-12-2013, 06:57 AM)
Hmm I would have enjoyed seeing Ron and Tim work together on another project. But best wishes to him.
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats
(03-12-2013, 06:58 AM)
he should open up a new studio called "Nostalgia Goggles"
MuddyDonut
(03-12-2013, 07:01 AM)

Originally Posted by Sqorgar

I think it was Denis Dyack.

So is this your alt account Dyack?
Sqorgar
Banned
(03-12-2013, 07:04 AM)

Originally Posted by MuddyDonut

So is this your alt account Dyack?

That's silly.

On a completely unrelated note, man, that Too Human game really was ahead of its time, wasn't it?
Santiako
(03-12-2013, 07:04 AM)
I just realised that he hasn't made a great game since 1993, that's 20 fucking years of mediocre games at best! Step it up Gilbert, become amazing again!
Sqorgar
Banned
(03-12-2013, 07:11 AM)

Originally Posted by Santiako

I just realised that he hasn't made a great game since 1993, that's 20 fucking years of mediocre games at best! Step it up Gilbert, become amazing again!

Didn't like Total Annihilation, huh?
CheesecakeRecipe
(03-12-2013, 07:16 AM)
He wasn't doing a whole lot there anyways, even though I wish they had found better use for him.
nbthedude
Banned
(03-12-2013, 07:20 AM)
I wish the guy well, but I don't really like his games that much and his sense of humor doesn't resonate strongly with me, so I'd rather not have some of doublefine's talent being tied up on new games he would design.