• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

if you liked Fallout 1-2 buy/try Underrail NOW

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The demo for alpha is here.

Alpha can be purchased at Desura and Gamersgate.

The trailer is here. Don't let graphics discourage you, once the game boots you into the character creation and then starts the adventure YOU'LL FEEL IT. The devlog is here.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
This looks good, I may pick it up when school is over. I wonder how long it is.

SerRodrik

Good timing, considering that I'm in the middle of playing through Fallout 1 for the first time. Will try out the demo.

I could see this being fun down the road. Not so much in its current state.

The structure for a decent game is in place but it is going to need a lot of work.

Sullen

Bumping this thread cause I just saw the trailer and then spent a few hours this morning playing the demo. Wow, this really came out of nowhere and is amazing. I immediately greenlit it after the trailer and passed on word to a bunch of my friends. I couldn't believe that I hadn't heard about this before. Word really needs to spread about this game.

subversus

I'll return to the demo after I finish Fallout 1 which might happen the next weekend.

I would totally play it on iPad too.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Just got so confused reading through this thread mentioning Greenlight. I didn't notice the year and could have sworn that I have Underrail on Steam already (Originally bought and played it on Desura, haven't actually installed it through Steam yet). It's very clearly inspired by Fallout and Fallout 2, but I haven't played a ton of the game. Waiting on final release before I wear myself out on an in-development title.

Tigress

I'm guessing this is only for Windows? Looks promising and I hope he makes a Mac version one day (or better, a PS version as I prefer playing on my consoles or handheld honestly).

Depending on price I'd be for buying the alpha to help him along (I'm on a tight budget though and have a huge backlog so I really can't justify any pricey games unless they are actually Fallout 4 or Witcher 3 ;) ). That is if I could play it (But I don't see the platform it is on anywhere so I assume it's just Windows).

Purkake4

Banned
Finished the Alpha, took me like 10h+. This is seriously the best crpg I've played in years. No bugs in the alpha that I could detect, a well-working stat system complete with tons of feats that's easy to understand, but already has a lot of depth. The combat is tough, but there are enough options to deal with most situations, including stealth and climbing in vents. Lots of environmental interaction and a really nice detailed crafting system that made me wish I had spent more skill points on it. Also a detailed world with lots of things to explore and steal, a bit like Arcanum where you could steal all the shop inventories if you were good enough.

Really, try it if you have any love for turn-based crpgs.

epmode

I really like what I've played of this game but I haven't followed its development very closely. Will the full game have significantly more content than the current game or will they only be adding a few areas and polishing/bugfixing?

Ludovico

Trailer looks pretty awesome, too bad I still need to go back and finish F1/2.

Too many games right now, but this is definitely on my radar!

Purkake4

Banned
I really like what I've played of this game but I haven't followed its development very closely. Will the full game have significantly more content than the current game or will they only be adding a few areas and polishing/bugfixing?
I'm actually not 100% sure, but they're certainly actively working on it and releasing new content. You can read the development log.

Purkake4

Banned
Is the current version the full game? I could tolerate a few broken skills or whatever. Otherwise I'd rather wait for the final release if I'm going to lose my save or something.
It's like the first two hubs + side quests, certainly not the full game. There's a free demo, but it's a pretty old build, kind of like the Kerbal Space Program demo worked.

54-46!

The presentation and gameplay looks good enough, but with a Fallout comparison I'm expecting great writing and quest design - so how good is Underrail's?

subversus

The presentation and gameplay looks good enough, but with a Fallout comparison I'm expecting great writing and quest design - so how good is Underrail's?

it's great but even Fallout 1-2 had some bland/boring/bad writing in some places so I wouldn't set the bar there. But from what I've played it's quite comparable.

The thing is... I got lost in the game very easily and it doesn't happen to me often.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Reminds me, wanted to make an OT for this last year. Oh well, maybe closer to release.

Purkake4

Banned
They finally added the main hub "Core City" in and the game is more than playable. I've sunk 27h into it in my 1,5 playthroughs and it's really does feel like the Divinity: Original Sin of the old Fallouts with tough as nail combat and many different options of going about each encounter (even vast ventilation shaft networks for that Deus Ex style stealth and turret hacking).

There's also tons of exploration, it's pretty much an "open world" with interconnected areas ala Fallout. The crafting system is amazing with tradeoffs and tinkering so you don't just want to get the random off-the-shelf assault rifle, but want to make your own.

hemtae

I tried this for a couple of hours a few days before wasteland 2 released and really liked it although I'm not sure if it will come out in 2014. Anyways their was an update.

http://www.underrail.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=43&Itemid=61

You will now be able to create fire bombs (such as Molotov cocktail) that set character, creatures and the ground on fire as well. The burning ground is very dangerous as it deals both flat and -percentage of max health- damage so you cannot ignore it even on high levels. The amount of damage dealt depends on the intensity of the flames (which depends on the power of the fire bomb, but can also stack if you throw multiple bombs).

You'll now also be able to craft gas grenades. The only type of gas grenade at the moment is "Toxic Gas Grenade" which deals flat bio damage. The damage dealt depends on the density of the gas (it's more dense at the source). While toxic gas doesn't deal damage quickly, the grenade does last for a long time and also bio resistance is currently not present on standard combat armors and if introduced later it will not be in generous amounts. Specialized equipment to deal with this and more powerful bio-hazzards will be added in the future. Also, players will encounter permanent sources of toxic gas in certain places (such as the one on the screenshot).

hemtae

RPGCodex has a preview on the general state of things and really likes it

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9657
I'll kick off with a bit of editorializing: In my opinion, Underrail is nothing less than the second coming of the incline. Its look and feel are indeed very similar to Fallout's, with a dash of understated cyberpunk thrown into the mix, though I must stress that it's not derivative—Underrail stands on its own two feet and has its own distinct identity and atmosphere. Speaking of atmosphere, Underrail is an incredibly atmospheric game. This must be experienced in order to be understood, but suffice it to say that the visuals, sound effects, music, level design, and even the UI all serve to immerse the player in the world Stygian Software has built.

Indeed, this game conjures up the old Origin Systems motto: "We Create Worlds."

As I wrote at the beginning of this preview, Underrail is the second coming of the incline. The only reasonable conclusion to draw here is that you should either play the game now, or look forward to playing it later when it's officially released. Although the current version offers an enormous amount of content, is very stable, and doesn't feel "unfinished" (although it is, as you'll discover once you reach higher levels), it isn't quite done, so you may prefer to wait.

Having said that, the game isn't without its flaws. As JarkFrank mentioned in his preview, there are a lot of typos, and boy, there really are a lot of them. They're present in skill/item descriptions as well as dialog. In addition, and this is my personal opinion, some of the NPC dialog is a bit awkward or rushed and should be copyedited and cleaned up. This is a very manageable flaw (though no small task) that could turn into a big one if allowed into the final release.

Also, the game is a little bit (really just a scosche) light on NPC dialog and C&C at the moment, though there is a good bit of dialog and C&C. Of course, the game's not finished, so it's hard to make a solid judgement, especially on the C&C front.

Almighty

I will have to keep an eye on this game now. Normally I don't buy RPGs in early access, but for ten bucks I might give it a shot.

Purkake4

Banned
I will have to keep an eye on this game now. Normally I don't buy RPGs in early access, but for ten bucks I might give it a shot.
Totally worth the ten bucks, it's got quite a bit of replay value and a huge chunk of it is pretty much complete. Plus, there's dozens of side areas that you'd most probably miss during a normal by-the-numbers playthrough.

hemtae

New Update

In this update we added new factions with their optional questlines, namely - Free Drones, Protectorate and the super secret one. We added most of the remaining areas that we planned for the game, which include Upper Underrail and Lower Underrail passages, so speaking geographically most of the game is complete.

Now I want to talk a bit about the future development plans. I won't be giving you a release date, though I can safely say it won't be this year as I initially hoped. However, know that the end is in sight.

When it comes to mechanical stuff, there are still stuff like components, items, feats, abilities, etc to be added. However, there are currently no plans to add any more major mechanics (gas and fire should be the last). From the content side there are two parts of the main quest left that, as it happens, take part in two locations that are yet to be added - Institute of Tchort and Deep Caverns.

So here's what going to happen.

The next content update that we release will feature Institute of Tchort part of the main questline. This will be the last Early Access release. Afterwards, only the Deep Caverns are left before the game is complete. When we finish those, we will take extra time to polish up the game (we won't release Deep Caverns right away), especially the older areas which are no longer up to par with the new stuff. We will also take extra time to test the game to stomp out as many bugs as possible. Then we will release the game in full, make lots of money, retire to a tropical island and live happily ever after. That's the plan at least.

How long will this take? As long as it needs to. It would be pointless for me to give you a release date estimate, since I will gladly ignore it for the sake of the game as I did before. The quality of the game is my primary concern and in the long run that is best for everyone. We're nearing the end, though, so stay patient, dudes.

jesu

I'll put this on my wishlist for now and look into it when it's finished.
After I finish Dead State I might be wanting another isometric RPG.

Purkake4

Banned
Nice to see this coming along. The last version looked good enough to be released, looking forward to trying this one out.

hemtae

New update: Dev Log #37: Institute of Tchort

Screenshots:
Entrance.jpg
Armory.jpg
Canteen.jpg
Chem%20Lab.jpg
Fountain.jpg
Library.jpg
Main%20Hall-Up.jpg
Mall.jpg
Phys%20Lab.jpg
Sleeping%20Quarters.jpg
Biogen.jpg

Purkake4

Banned
The change to PSI seems pretty good as well:

One major mechanical change I made since the last update is concerning the psi pool. Instead of functioning like a "mana" resource, the psi was changed to more of pre-alpha state when it functioned like an "energy" resource. Every character with Psi Empathy feat now has 100 psi points and regenerates 20 points per turn (or per 5 seconds in real time). Psi boosters now instantly restore 75 psi.

These changes were done for two reasons which tie into the same problem. One - they were meant to make the psi cost more relevant when choosing what to invoke. The cost of the psi abilities have been re-balanced accordingly - those abilities that were meant to be used as primary attacks, such as neural overload, cryokinesis and electrokinesis, have a low cost and can be spammed without running out of psi. However, those high impact abilities, such as bilocation and cryostasis can run you out of psi quickly.

The second reason, which is related to the first one, is to curb the multi-disciplined psi build. As it stands in the release version, builds that go for full psi can generally invest into all three schools of psi without much trouble because they all rely on the same base stat and also share a number of beneficial feats. This grants the player access to a large amount of crowd-control and AoE abilities that they can invoke in short 1-2 turn burst which makes most encounters a breeze. Now, however, the limited psi pool will keep that in check. You will still be able to spec in all the schools if you wish, but you won't be able to bring down the full power of all of them at the same time.

Another happy consequence of this change is that the psi builds will have easier time in early game because they won't have to worry about psi boosters as much. Now keep in mind that the numbers stated above are not set in stone. We haven't still done any extensive testing of this change so tweaks are likely to happen. Also, I'll probably introduce a couple of feats in the future that will allow the player to slightly expand the psi pool or increase the psi regeneration.

In other news, I've been working on various things related to crafting. Most of the planned components have been added to the standard blueprints. While I'll be adding more components before the game is released as well as some utility and consumable blueprints, there are no plans to add more general blueprints, such as those for a new type of weapon or armor. Keep in in mind that all the crafting stuff added here is crafting-only; that is - it does not appear in randomly generated loot. Also, most of these changes are not retroactive, so already obtained items in running games will be mostly unchanged. Anyway, here's the list:

Top Bottom