• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed Most Wanted U |OT| Burned out, Upshift

andthebeatgoeson

+Gorgeous visuals
+Ultimate sandbox version of the game
+Thrilling
– God-mode undermines the challenge
– Too much freedom

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03...eview?utm_campaign=twposts&utm_source=twitter

It's almost, too much freedom.

It doesn't necessarily REMOVE some of the game's challenge. It only gives options for those who don't want to bang their heads against the wall. Particularly in some of the later challenges.

Me. I don't want to fight traffic as I'm a novice at racing games. I kinda get drift but it's hard at times. I don't know how to consistently do it. So, I'm all over the road. Right now, I have enough to think about. And, great thing is it's optional. Thank god a developer thought it thru.

Edit2: Any reccs on what cars to use for the most wanted race? Is the venom race one of the easiest or hardest? I can't even get close to him. Should I only be using a lambo or something?

True, BUT, just add a timer on the digital button, the "longer" you keep it pressed the faster you drive, "fake" it in the gamecode.

Nah, because then you could never hammer the throttle.

Edit: unless you double-tap it like Cruis'n world... but no, i don't think i'd like that either... I'd rather have analog triggers.

It's almost, too much freedom.

Me. I don't want to fight traffic as I'm a novice at racing games. I kinda get drift but it's hard at times. I don't know how to consistently do it. So, I'm all over the road. Right now, I have enough to think about. And, great thing is it's optional. Thank god a developer thought it thru.

Edit2: Any reccs on what cars to use for the most wanted race? Is the venom race one of the easiest or hardest? I can't even get close to him. Should I only be using a lambo or something?

Even if you're not a novice, there are certain challenges that passing is basically blind luck of the traffic draw anyway. It's OPTIONAL and welcome at times.

Looking at you, Downgraded. Still dunno how Burgerdog pulled that one off. Even if his average is 120.1 MPH.

The Venom one shouldn't be on top of the Most Wanted list. Do 10 and 9 first.

I used the Nissan Skyline with track tires and a lightweight chassis to beat the first few challenges, and used the unlocked cars on the subsequent ones I've done thus far.

Skyzard

Banned
True, BUT, just add a timer on the digital button, the "longer" you keep it pressed the faster you drive, "fake" it in the gamecode.

The longer you press it the faster you drive anyway as the speed builds up :) ?

It's not a huge deal really, the game works okay without analogue acceleration as well.

fernoca

Yep. The Origin receipt says $59.99, but the only charged $29.99 to my PayPal account. My copy arrived yesterday, with free shipping and put the order the day the sale started.
right after I grabbed my $60 copy at Gamestop. :p

By the way, are all the "Nintendo refrences" new? I mean, the Nintendo-inspired license plates obviously are (Plumber with a red car, Princess with a pink car), but the areas with green pipes and grafittis saying 2-1, etc. (even featuring the cars from the Nintendo-licence plates)...are new? Or are this in the other versions with a few changes?

One of the warp-pipe videos.

Been enjoying the game, got it off the E-Shop a few days ago.

That Venom challenge was some bullshit. I think that was originally DLC content or something, there's no way it's the first Most Wanted race. I had to go into god mode (aka break out the Veyron Vitesse) to take it down.

Been enjoying the game, got it off the E-Shop a few days ago.

That Venom challenge was some bullshit. I think that was originally DLC content or something, there's no way it's the first Most Wanted race. I had to go into god mode (aka break out the Veyron Vitesse) to take it down.

Yeah, pretty sure it was part of the included ultimate speed DLC pack. No way that's the first most wanted race.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I tried the Venom race way too many times before I figured out it was originally part of the DLC. Tried the 10th Most Wanted race after, and it was so much easier! It should have been clearer that Venom was not the 1st one (move it at the end of the list?).

GulAtiCa

JGMhHO.jpeg

I got 200 yards on this billboard jump in that big central park/monument area. Took me a while, not cause I wasn't going fast enough, but because I was going too fast! I literally had to slow down everytime, else I went way over the billboard.

I now have a very fast car, about 4/5th filled bar of top speed and acceleration.

Really loving this game.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
First impressions:

The cars all feel so heavy, like everyone has said steering is going to take a lot of getting used to. I unlocked track tires just before I stopped playing and it did seem to handle a bit better.
I crash a lot In this game, much more than I ever did in Burnout Paradise(the last racer I've actually played).
I wish there was a seperate ebrake button, haven't quite figured out how long I need to press the brake to initiate a drift.
Autolog is awesome, this is the kind of friend integration that should be in every game like this. I'm really going to miss it when Mario Kart U eventually comes out.

japtor

First impressions:

The cars all feel so heavy, like everyone has said steering is going to take a lot of getting used to. I unlocked track tires just before I stopped playing and it did seem to handle a bit better.
I crash a lot In this game, much more than I ever did in Burnout Paradise(the last racer I've actually played).
I wish there was a seperate ebrake button, haven't quite figured out how long I need to press the brake to initiate a drift.
Autolog is awesome, this is the kind of friend integration that should be in every game like this. I'm really going to miss it when Mario Kart U eventually comes out.
Having some trouble with the steering here too, almost feels laggy or something, like maybe the stick-wheel mapping has some strange curve to it. Haven't played the other versions, and last one of theirs I played was their version of Hot Pursuit a while back so I can't compare much. Drift initiation feels different from what I remember in Hot Pursuit at least, I vaguely it being really easy to start and control in comparison. I think it's mostly in the steering feel for me (if not just a change in the mechanics between HP and MW) since I was one of those 100% on/off people with the analog triggers anyway.

There is an e-brake button, I think X (and remappable if you wish).

My NNID is japtor, seem to have a few on my friend list that have the game already. I like how it recommended some others through that, although without some accompanying message I'm not sure my friend requests will go through, and I'm not sure that's separate from Miiverse or just all combined with Origin.

Finally had time to play it today and it's fantastic so far, off tv play is always welcome :)
Had a long and awesome race with the viper and barely beat the car and the takedown/police chase after was great .

I'm pretty sure Y is the ebreak....

First impressions:

JGMhHO.jpeg

I got 200 yards on this billboard jump in that big central park/monument area. Took me a while, not cause I wasn't going fast enough, but because I was going too fast! I literally had to slow down everytime, else I went way over the billboard.

I now have a very fast car, about 4/5th filled bar of top speed and acceleration.

Really loving this game.
I've spent way too much time trying to get the top score on that. I'm in third with 172.5m (188.6yd) and I can't get any further without flying over the billboard. What car did you use? I've been using the Ariel and Gallarado.

hey guys please thank @Barg8a and @DJGandalf1M on twitter for they Warp Pipes they are the guys on the Wii U team who are making the call for the DLC because they are the ones who are or would work on it if it ever comes

notice that each warp pipe garage has reserved space for 4 more cars each so you never know with enough feedback from fans

edit: I just loaded the game when I quit last I was in the Yoshi Bac Mono it loaded me inside the Warp Pipe garage! :)
also the orange pipe on the cliff is an exit spot lol

JCH!

Just got my first hard lock after 20h of having no problems :( I was starting to think my Wii U was immune to these things.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
just 1 speed camera left to find is brutal
Wait, doesn't the city map show the ones you still need to trigger? If not then yeah I can see that being brutal - I'm still at a dozen or so left, and I already experience the rare cam shot syndrome.

I need help.

Is it possible to evade the police in this game by parking into warehouses and in dark alleys, without having to hit the paint garages? I swear I can't shake these guys even when I escape that circle of detection; they hone in on my exact location even when I'm off the grid.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I need help.

Is it possible to evade the police in this game by parking into warehouses and in dark alleys, without having to hit the paint garages? I swear I can't shake these guys even when I escape that circle of detection; they hone in on my exact location even when I'm off the grid.

I managed to do it, but I'm not sure if I used a paint garage before.

bryehn

Started into this last night after getting my $30 origin copy and wasn't exactly impressed. It's legitimately tough to see on the gamepad and I didn't find it comfortable for a racing game.

It's a decent Burnout game but nothing about it feels like like Need for Speed.

I'm sure it'll be better using the Pro Controller on the TV when I try it again, but that's not why I bought it.

Also the crash animations are brutally immersion breaking for me.

Started into this last night after getting my $30 origin copy and wasn't exactly impressed. It's legitimately tough to see on the gamepad and I didn't find it comfortable for a racing game.

I'm sure it'll be better using the Pro Controller on the TV when I try it again, but that's not why I bought it.

This may be a stupid question, but do you have the brightness turned up on the gamepad? It's just that I really enjoy the off screen play and tend to just not use my TV for NFS.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Having some trouble with the steering here too, almost feels laggy or something, like maybe the stick-wheel mapping has some strange curve to it. Haven't played the other versions, and last one of theirs I played was their version of Hot Pursuit a while back so I can't compare much. Drift initiation feels different from what I remember in Hot Pursuit at least, I vaguely it being really easy to start and control in comparison. I think it's mostly in the steering feel for me (if not just a change in the mechanics between HP and MW) since I was one of those 100% on/off people with the analog triggers anyway.

There is an e-brake button, I think X (and remappable if you wish).

My NNID is japtor, seem to have a few on my friend list that have the game already. I like how it recommended some others through that, although without some accompanying message I'm not sure my friend requests will go through, and I'm not sure that's separate from Miiverse or just all combined with Origin.

I'm pretty sure Y is the ebreak....

Thanks guys. This is where a manual being included with the game would have helped, I never think to check the digital one.

Has anyone tried the motion controls yet?

gamingeek

The button layout is fully mappable, try tinkering.

Turn the brightness up on the Wii U pad, or try plugging it in on max brightness. It feels more like Burnout crossed with GTA cop chases to me.

jacksrb

Did I miss the demo in NA? I have been out of the country and would like to try the game, but I didn't see the demo in the eShop today.

Looks like a really great version of the game.

1 million speed points and over half the Most Wanted races taken care of! I damn near maxed out my Lexus LF-A too. Poor "Most Wanted" don't stand a chance other than blind luck it seems.

Am I the only one that finds racing in first person by far the way to go?

I don't like the first person to much. Wish you could see the good and steering wheel. ...
Did I miss the demo in NA? I have been out of the country and would like to try the game, but I didn't see the demo in the eShop today.

Looks like a really great version of the game.

Top Bottom