• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Stuart444
Member
(03-16-2013, 11:50 PM)
Stuart444's Avatar
I posted this in the Atelier Ayesha OT and figured it was worth a new thread (unless there is already a thread on this that is)

You have to understand that most of the time (pretty much 99% of the time at this point, really), when the original Japanese voice-acting is removed from a game during localization, it's done out of necessity, NOT by choice. NO publisher is going to remove the original voice track if there exists an option to keep it -- there'd be no reason to, after all! But I speak from personal experience when I tell you that there are many, many times where publishers aren't given any choice in the matter whatsoever. Technical limitations and storage space aren't the only factors, either -- there's also that dreaded specter known as LICENSING. Sadly, everyone who's ever spoken a line of dialogue or sung a phrase of music in a video game signed a contract of some sort... and some of those contracts, ESPECIALLY in Japan, can be pretty draconian when you get down to the fine print. It's not at all uncommon for a Japanese voice-actor to record his/her voice for a game under the stipulation that it ONLY be used within the country of Japan, making it ILLEGAL to use those lines anywhere else in the world.

I'm not able to comment as to whether or not this is the reason we've removed Japanese voice tracks from some of our past titles, but I can give a relatively well-known example from the world of anime: Kodocha. When that show was brought to the U.S. by The Right Stuf, there were major licensing problems associated with the first opening theme, "19 O'Clock News" by the band Tokio. Not only was that song originally used as the opening theme for episodes 1-51 of the show, but Tokio's lead singer Mamo made a cameo appearance in episode 1 as himself, exchanging a few lines of dialogue with the series' main character Sana. And when the show was brought over to North America, absolutely NONE of that could be used due to licensing issues. Not only did Right Stuf have to substitute the second opening theme (originally used in episodes 52-102 of the anime) in place of the first, but they had to bleep out all of Mamo's lines from the Japanese language track on the DVD, and I think they even had to bleep out Mamo's NAME when Sana spoke it!

Now, that's a pretty extreme example, but it just goes to show you that Japanese contract law can be a HUGE problem, oftentimes leaving publishers with only three choices: release the game with dubbed voices, release the game with NO voices (bearing in mind that most games featuring English voice-acting also have an option to TURN OFF the voice-acting, so there's no reason dubbed voices are any worse than no voices)... or don't release the game at all.

And while I do understand your passion for playing things in their original language, I would urge you not to avoid supporting games simply because their language tracks have been dubbed. Remember, when you pay for a game, you're compensating the publisher for all the work they did to translate it, edit it, test it, master it, produce it, etc. We do a tremendous amount of work to make sure these games are playable and enjoyable in our own language, and it's extremely disheartening to hear that anyone would choose NOT to support us, even if it's a game they really want to play, simply because we were forced to dub the voice track into English. Especially since, quite honestly, I think most publishers would prefer to leave EVERY game in its original Japanese -- dubbing a game's voices is a time-consuming and costly process, and electing not to dub something invariably makes it take less time to release AND cost less money. And what publisher WOULDN'T want that?!

So yeah... bottom line, if you're going to "vote with your wallet," as it were, please make sure you know what you're voting FOR. By not supporting games that publishers had no choice but to dub, you're not sending the message that you want fewer dubs... you're sending the message that you want fewer games of that type released in English, period. And I'm pretty sure that's NOT the message you're trying to send.

-Tom

Source: XSEED forums

Also, just to be clear: I'm a little afraid the above-quoted explanation may imply that we only ever begrudgingly dub games and never actually WANT to do it, which isn't true at all. Actually, we LOVE dubbing games, because voice-recording is just a LOT of fun! Probably the most fun any of us ever have at our jobs, in fact.

It is super-expensive and extremely time-consuming, though, so deciding whether or not to dub a game is always a tricky prospect, and requires a lot of business analysis. The amount of voice-acting included in the title, the type of voice-acting and the availability of the original Japanese voices are always key factors in our final decision. And in general, if we DO dub a game, we always at least TRY to keep the original Japanese language track intact as well.

-Tom

Source: XSEED forums
Last edited by Stuart444; 03-17-2013 at 12:29 AM.
RurouniZel
Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
(03-16-2013, 11:53 PM)
RurouniZel's Avatar
Oh yeah, I remember that when it happened to Kodocha. They didn't bleep things out though, they completely dropped the volume in those scenes if I recall correctly.

But yeah, I've heard crazy licensing stories from Japan like how in Mobile Suit Gundam (the original) Bandai owned the show but some other company owned the show's audio or something to that effect. Crazy stuff.
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!
(03-16-2013, 11:54 PM)
Takao's Avatar
Not really surprised.
Glass Rebel
Member
(03-16-2013, 11:55 PM)
Glass Rebel's Avatar
I'm not surprised and always assumed this was the case. Publishers must be aware that the people who buy their games want dual voice tracks. Good to see confirmation although it doesn't change the fact that it's shitty.
Mauricio_Magus
Member
(03-16-2013, 11:56 PM)
Mauricio_Magus's Avatar
It's funny because I'm a fan of Kodocha

anyways, it all comes to the fact that they shouldn't do the "only in japan" thing, they need to think globally or die. I'm not buying Atelier Ayesha because it doesn't have the original dub, the old ones(all the Arland saga) had it so I don't see why they didn't think about it. I would have thought about buying it, but then we only got a partial dub, hahahaha no
SatelliteOfLove
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:00 AM)
SatelliteOfLove's Avatar
It's pathetic that there are big fans of Japanese games who don't know this in 2013, and lash out still.
hongcha
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:00 AM)
hongcha's Avatar
As long as they have the option to completely mute the English track, it's not a problem for me. I just play the games with bad dubs SNES-style. Being forced to listen to an awful English dub would turn me off from buying a localized game, however. (Some English dubs are quite good. I don't want to give the impression I think all dubs are bad simply because they are in English. Many Japanese dubs are awful too, I should add).
CielTynave
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:01 AM)
CielTynave's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mauricio_Magus

It's funny because I'm a fan of Kodocha

anyways, it all comes to the fact that they shouldn't do the "only in japan" thing, they need to think globally or die. I'm not buying Atelier Ayesha because it doesn't have the original dub, the old ones(all the Arland saga) had it so I don't see why they didn't think about it. I would have thought about buying it, but then we only got a partial dub, hahahaha no

I don't see why you'd expect otherwise, NISA has put out plenty of partial dubs.
jello44
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:01 AM)
jello44's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mauricio_Magus

It's funny because I'm a fan of Kodocha

anyways, it all comes to the fact that they shouldn't do the "only in japan" thing, they need to think globally or die. I'm not buying Atelier Ayesha because it doesn't have the original dub, the old ones(all the Arland saga) had it so I don't see why they didn't think about it. I would have thought about buying it, but then we only got a partial dub, hahahaha no

No, I'm pretty sure they should have their own laws as they see fit.

But yes, this always was the case and has been brought up many times before, but that doesn't stop some of the populace from whining about it.

Oh noes, I have to play in English, heaven forbid.
Eusis
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:02 AM)
Eusis's Avatar
Yeah, that's always a bitch. It does seem sometimes they literally don't comprehend why we'd want it kept (I believe Motomu Toriyama or Kitase was surprised there was any interest for FFXIII's Japanese VA), but dealing with game code's already more complex than just slapping in dual audio on a disc-based movie or any flexible video format, and some of them seem to have frustrating conditions in their contracts that bar not only international releases but also non-physical ones (I'm willing to bet we're not going to hear "Into Free" in Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen as that SEEMED to be the likely reason we didn't get the original through DD as it wasn't there in the DD demos). Honestly, for something like Ayesha I'd take more issue with either the fact it's not fully dubbed to make up for it or the fact the translation clearly has issues at time (was string typoed as "sting" for alchemy? What about when text spilled out of the text box?)

Anyways, while it's a feature I like to have present whether or not it's actually used, I would fixate more on other cuts or changes ahead of that. SO4 changing out all the anime profile pics for CGI rendered crap bugged the hell out of me especially with how uncanny valley the visuals were anyway, and cutting out gameplay or heavy handed excessive censoring's pretty terrible to have at this point. Also helps in regards to VA that we're long past when terrible dubs were the norm rather than the exception, nowadays if it's bad it has more to do with the base material, possibly the VA director rather than the actors
HolyBaikal
Japanese Culture Expert
(03-17-2013, 12:05 AM)
HolyBaikal's Avatar

It's not at all uncommon for a Japanese voice-actor to record his/her voice for a game under the stipulation that it ONLY be used within the country of Japan

I'd like to know what Japanese voice actors have done such a thing, because I'll have become far less of a fan of them for doing something so ridiculous.

This is a part of why I hate countries. Not as in "I hate this specific country", but all countries by nature of being a country. I wish countries didn't exist and we existed as a world society. Illegal to do certain things in certain places. What a stupid useless thing.

I don't want to live in Japan. I love the media and I love multiple other facets of the culture. But living and working there is stressful. So an idea that something can only be used in one country is ridiculous.

So I have to be in a certain country to hear a certain voice work? Don't make me laugh.
Last edited by HolyBaikal; 03-17-2013 at 12:09 AM.
dakkumauji
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:08 AM)
dakkumauji's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mauricio_Magus

It's funny because I'm a fan of Kodocha

anyways, it all comes to the fact that they shouldn't do the "only in japan" thing, they need to think globally or die. I'm not buying Atelier Ayesha because it doesn't have the original dub, the old ones(all the Arland saga) had it so I don't see why they didn't think about it. I would have thought about buying it, but then we only got a partial dub, hahahaha no

The Ayesha problem is definitely weird especially since as you said all the old Atelier games had it and I thought it would be a common thing by now.

But, yeah, licensing is a bitch, but of course for the big name titles they really should plan if they plan to localize or not especially since programming usually ends up going back to the Japanese company anyway.
Eusis
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:08 AM)
Eusis's Avatar

Originally Posted by HolyBaikal

I'd like to know what Japanese voice actors have done such a thing, because I'll have become far less of a fan of them for doing something so ridiculous.

This is a part of why I hate countries. Not as in "I hate this specific country", but all countries by nature of being a country. I wish countries didn't exist. Illegal to do certain things in certain places. What a stupid useless thing.

I don't want to live in Japan. I love the media and I love multiple other facets of the culture. But living and working there is stressful. So an idea that something can only be used in one country is ridiculous.

So I have to be in a certain country to hear a certain voice work? Don't make me laugh.

It's possible that it's more a problem with their agents or whatever company they're working with, and they may want to renegotiate for higher or whatever if going abroad. I doubt very many are actively malicious to other countries and/or cultures here, they more likely either don't think these out fully or want to bite off more than they can chew, so when exporting most companies would rather just cut their losses instead.
darkside31337
Tomodachi wa Mahou
(03-17-2013, 12:09 AM)
darkside31337's Avatar

Originally Posted by SatelliteOfLove

It's pathetic that there are big fans of Japanese games who don't know this in 2013, and lash out still.

Honestly the only thing I found pathetic was the notion that I'm supposed to pay money for a game with poor quality dubs because Japan fucked up.

A lot of the dubs are just really poor, sorry. I'm going to be much less likely to buy a game if there is English only and its done poorly. Thats reality - thats honestly how it should work. The idea that I should not care about the game not having a JP track or not care that the dub is mediocre is pretty ridiculous. While I understand where Tom is coming from I just disagree with his overall point.

In Ayesha's case its really bad because a standard was already set in place and they failed to meet it.
Stuart444
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:10 AM)
Stuart444's Avatar

Originally Posted by dakkumauji

The Ayesha problem is definitely weird especially since as you said all the old Atelier games had it and I thought it would be a common thing by now.

The change of publisher (NISA to KT) and the way they do things probably caused that including how they buy the rights to something (Cherry picking what they have the rights to ie the opening song versus buying the rights to everything in a bundle) but that's just theory. Only Gust/KT/NISA know that stuff.
Khrno
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:16 AM)
Khrno's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mauricio_Magus

I'm not buying Atelier Ayesha because it doesn't have the original dub

Your loss since it is a great game.
Mauricio_Magus
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:16 AM)
Mauricio_Magus's Avatar

Originally Posted by CielTynave

I don't see why you'd expect otherwise, NISA has put out plenty of partial dubs.

but we still get Japanese voices with them



Originally Posted by darkside31337

Honestly the only thing I found pathetic was the notion that I'm supposed to pay money for a game with poor quality dubs because Japan fucked up.

This

Originally Posted by Khrno

Your loss since it is a great game.

I believe you, totori and meruru were fantastic, I'll eventually buy it used or just get it from one of my friends. They aren't seeing my money
Jinko
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:18 AM)
Jinko's Avatar
Hmm time for Publishers to change their contracts me things.

I would never not buy a game though because it didn't have JP voice overs, that's absurd and kind of cutting of your ...uhh ears to spite your head ?
Anony
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:23 AM)
i dont understand how can a big series, like tales, not get dual audio, and a smaller series like xenoblade get dual audio

if their argument is that licensing issues, aka $$$, then how can a game like xenoblade, which presumably makes less money than tales, get dual audio

bottom line, company is too cheap to put in the money for the sound track
Eusis
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:23 AM)
Eusis's Avatar
I actually wonder how long people who'd boycott based on a lack of Japanese VA were even playing localized JRPGs. Admittedly Atelier Ayesha's unique in that the series ALWAYS had Japanese VA as an option (even on DS? Actually that's a case where you'd probably pass on dubbing), but I couldn't see doing that over something like the Tales series as they never included it outside of the first US released one, and that's because they were too cheap to even bother with dubbing then, and every game post-PS1 had a reasonably good dub, at least far better than what we got in Tales of Eternia. Dubbing only has been the standard so long that even now it's more a feature we're lucky to get rather than something to take for granted in most cases.

Originally Posted by Anony

i dont understand how can a big series, like tales, not get dual audio, and a smaller series like xenoblade get dual audio

if their argument is that licensing issues, aka $$$, then how can a game like xenoblade, which presumably makes less money than tales, get dual audio

bottom line, company is too cheap to put in the money for the sound track

You make a game on a lower budget, you're less likely to pay for VA that'll want more money brought in for when the games get localized. Though Xenoblade did have some big names so I dunno, I'm guessing it's the singers that tend to be a problem here anyway if Kodocha's any indication.
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(03-17-2013, 12:25 AM)
Jintor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anony

i dont understand how can a big series, like tales, not get dual audio, and a smaller series like xenoblade get dual audio

if their argument is that licensing issues, aka $$$, then how can a game like xenoblade, which presumably makes less money than tales, get dual audio

bottom line, company is too cheap to put in the money for the sound track

You didn't read the article did you
Chacranajxy
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:26 AM)
Chacranajxy's Avatar
I think it's good for them to clarify exactly why they can't necessarily give the fans what they want. A lot less outrage over things that might legitimately be out of their hands.

And I'm sure there actually are a few weeaboos who would boycott a game over no Japanese VAs. I know that on anime forums, there are people will boycott DVD releases because they don't credit the Japanese voice actors. Fuckin' weirdos, yo.
Aeana
Medal Princess
(03-17-2013, 12:26 AM)
Aeana's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anony

i dont understand how can a big series, like tales, not get dual audio, and a smaller series like xenoblade get dual audio

if their argument is that licensing issues, aka $$$, then how can a game like xenoblade, which presumably makes less money than tales, get dual audio

bottom line, company is too cheap to put in the money for the sound track

Please make an effort to actually read the first post in threads you post in.
Mauricio_Magus
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:27 AM)
Mauricio_Magus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Eusis

I actually wonder how long people who'd boycott based on a lack of Japanese VA were even playing localized JRPGs. Admittedly Atelier Ayesha's unique in that the series ALWAYS had Japanese VA as an option (even on DS? Actually that's a case where you'd probably pass on dubbing), but I couldn't see doing that over something like the Tales series as they never included it outside of the first US released one, and that's because they were too cheap to even bother with dubbing then, and every game post-PS1 had a reasonably good dub, at least far better than what we got in Tales of Eternia. Dubbing only has been the standard so long that even now it's more a feature we're lucky to get rather than something to take for granted in most cases.

I'm just doing it with Ayesha because it was something that was done for the rest of the series, It just feels wrong to play an Atelier game without them, a huge part of why I play them is for the atmosphere and the voices helped a lot.

haha, Xenoblade had dual audio and I still heard it in English because REYN TIME
CielTynave
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:27 AM)
CielTynave's Avatar
I can think of a few VA's that might have some ridiculous shit in their contract like that, like Takehito Koyasu. Just an assumption though based off the last Tales Fest DVD not having anything from the first day because he didn't like being recorded...
Mauricio_Magus
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:29 AM)
Mauricio_Magus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chacranajxy

I think it's good for them to clarify exactly why they can't necessarily give the fans what they want. A lot less outrage over things that might legitimately be out of their hands.

And I'm sure there actually are a few weeaboos who would boycott a game over no Japanese VAs. I know that on anime forums, there are people will boycott DVD releases because they don't credit the Japanese voice actors. Fuckin' weirdos, yo.

some people were mad as fuck when Capcom wasn't giving credit to Clover for making Okami Wii, it's the same shit
darkside31337
Tomodachi wa Mahou
(03-17-2013, 12:29 AM)
darkside31337's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jinko

Hmm time for Publishers to change their contracts me things.

I would never not buy a game though because it didn't have JP voice overs, that's absurd and kind of cutting of your ...uhh ears to spite your head ?

I really don't see how its that absurd. The audio component is part of the game.

I'm going to spend 50+ hours playing Neptunia Victory. I honestly would not buy the game if they cut out the JP track the same way they did to Ayesha and to me it doesn't really matter what the reason would be. I found the English track to be completely dreadful in the previous games and it would take away from the enjoyment of the game to the point where I'd be less interested in playing it.

I realize that it sucks for companies like XSEED and their hands are tied behind their back in these cases but thats not my problem.
Last edited by darkside31337; 03-17-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Anony
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:29 AM)
oh, i'd like to mention

going by the general news of how shit japanese voice actors gets paid over the years, you'd think that they'd jump on the idea of getting paid extra money for doing NO WORK what so ever just by licensing their voice to be included in overseas version of the game

that's just my assumption on that aspect as well
NotLiquid
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:30 AM)
NotLiquid's Avatar
Funny that NISA is brought into the conversation. Pretty sure the only reason they can afford dual dubbing is because NIS funds the localization of Disgaea titles. Mugen Souls kind of proved that outside of that their budget is pretty damn dry when it was only partially dubbed.
Mauricio_Magus
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:30 AM)
Mauricio_Magus's Avatar

Originally Posted by darkside31337

I really don't see how its that absurd. The audio component is part of the game.

I'm going to spend 50+ hours playing Neptunia Victory. I honestly would not buy the game if they cut out the JP track the same way they did to Ayesha and to me it doesn't really matter what the reason would be. I found the English track to be completely dreadful in the previous games and it would take away from the enjoyment of the game to the point where I'd be less interested in playing it.

I realize that it sucks for companies and XSEED and their hands are tied behind their back in these cases but thats not my problem.

pretty much this, watching the Neptunia Victory dub made my ears bleed.... and you're going to hear it the whoooooollleeeeee game.
firehawk12
Subete no aware
(03-17-2013, 12:31 AM)
firehawk12's Avatar
Or, you know, since we live in a world where people presumably want to sell their games to more than the 20-100k nerds in Japan that buy these games, maybe get some of this contract stuff sorted out.

I can understand when shows from the 90s and earlier can't get released on DVD without the music stripped out, but this is 2013.
synce
Banned
(03-17-2013, 12:32 AM)
I say stop worrying about localizations and dubs and just dedicate 30 minutes a day to learning Japanese if you want to enjoy not just a whole new world of videogames but a whole new culture.
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(03-17-2013, 12:32 AM)
Jintor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anony

oh, i'd like to mention

going by the general news of how shit japanese voice actors gets paid over the years, you'd think that they'd jump on the idea of getting paid extra money for doing NO WORK what so ever just by licensing their voice to be included in overseas version of the game

that's just my assumption on that aspect as well

...I don't think the problem here is on the part of the voice actors writing their own contracts, either.
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!
(03-17-2013, 12:33 AM)
Takao's Avatar

Originally Posted by firehawk12

Or, you know, since we live in a world where people presumably want to sell their games to more than the 20-100k nerds in Japan that buy these games, maybe get some of this contract stuff sorted out.

Atelier games with dual audio sell 20k in the US. Honestly, the fanbase for these games should be happy these continue to get localized with numbers like that.
Anony
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:33 AM)

Originally Posted by Aeana

Please make an effort to actually read the first post in threads you post in.

i did, i'm sorry but the bottom line is licensing issues = money
unless the voice actor specifically said, they only want their voices remained in japan, if there has ever been such i case, i'd like to see it

the theme song and the actual cameo/likeness of a celebrity is a different issue
wyrdwad
XSEED Marketing
(03-17-2013, 12:34 AM)
wyrdwad's Avatar

Originally Posted by darkside31337

I'm going to be much less likely to buy a game if there is English only and its done poorly. Thats reality - thats honestly how it should work. The idea that I should not care about the game not having a JP track or not care that the dub is mediocre is pretty ridiculous. While I understand where Tom is coming from I just disagree with his overall point.

Actually, that doesn't disagree with my overall point at all! In fact, I completely agree with that line of reasoning. If the localization was done poorly -- and make no mistake, voice-acting is part of localization -- then that's a completely fair and justifiable reason not to spend your money on the product, I believe.

This post was in response to a person who stated they wouldn't buy any game that removed the original Japanese language track, period. No stipulation on the quality of the English dub -- basically just, if it's dubbed, it's not getting bought, even if the dub is absolute top-quality work.

That's really what I find disheartening. Being picky about the quality of a localization, though, is totally fine, and I would always strongly encourage that. ;)

Also, just to be clear: I'm a little afraid the above-quoted explanation may imply that we only ever begrudgingly dub games and never actually WANT to do it, which isn't true at all. In actuality, we LOVE dubbing games, because voice-recording is just a LOT of fun! Probably the most fun any of us ever have at work, in fact!

It is super-expensive and extremely time-consuming, though, so deciding whether or not to dub a game is always a tricky prospect, and requires a lot of business analysis. The amount of voice-acting included in the title, the type of voice-acting and the availability of the original Japanese voices are always key factors in our final decision. And in general, if we DO dub a game, we always at least TRY to keep the original Japanese language track intact as well.

i did, i'm sorry but the bottom line is licensing issues = money

No, that's really not true. In most cases, the voices simply aren't available at all -- no matter how much money we throw at them. If publishers could pay off the studio to extend their licensing to other countries, and that's all there was to it, then I'm pretty sure they would in most cases. I mean, we have very little budget for anything, but I know we certainly would if we could in all but the most extreme cases.

-Tom
Last edited by wyrdwad; 03-17-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Mauricio_Magus
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:34 AM)
Mauricio_Magus's Avatar
I'd say more Japanese games should go the Yakuza route and only have Japanese audio with subs, that HAS to be cheaper than doing any dub.

I'm not going to accept that excuse just because "lol contracts"

Also, for the record, there are good dubs like Xenoblade Chronicles that I'm willing to buy(ironically, it also had dual audio)... but you guys know that most dubs suck because they don't even care.
Last edited by Mauricio_Magus; 03-17-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(03-17-2013, 12:36 AM)
Jintor's Avatar
Yeah its not as if contractual rights constrain the behaviour of corporations at law and via chilling effect or something, huh

Seeing a weird disregard for licencing issues here, as if they're all just smoke and mirrors
Stark
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:37 AM)
Stark's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mauricio_Magus

I'd say more Japanese games should go the Yakuza route and only have Japanese subs with subs, that HAS to be cheaper than doing any dub.

I think this is ideal. Most of it would be just direct-translation of the script and tutorials.
Stuart444
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:40 AM)
Stuart444's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mauricio_Magus

but you guys know that most dubs suck because they don't even care.

And I disagree with this, Atelier Ayesha for example has a great dub as do most Tales games.

but to each their own.
Eusis
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:40 AM)
Eusis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mauricio_Magus

I'm just doing it with Ayesha because it was something that was done for the rest of the series, It just feels wrong to play an Atelier game without them, a huge part of why I play them is for the atmosphere and the voices helped a lot.

haha, Xenoblade had dual audio and I still heard it in English because REYN TIME

Yeah, while it's arguably a mistake for something as niche as Ayesha (they seem to have gotten the message it's a desired feature, so maybe they'll keep it in mind and leave Ayesha as a single off time so long as the games keep selling), I do understand frustration there as I kind of highlighted. And to be honest unlike something like, say, Last Story the Atelier games are closer to being ones I'd rather only hear in Japanese, and speaking of which...

Originally Posted by darkside31337

I really don't see how its that absurd. The audio component is part of the game.

I'm going to spend 50+ hours playing Neptunia Victory. I honestly would not buy the game if they cut out the JP track the same way they did to Ayesha and to me it doesn't really matter what the reason would be. I found the English track to be completely dreadful in the previous games and it would take away from the enjoyment of the game to the point where I'd be less interested in playing it.

I realize that it sucks for companies like XSEED and their hands are tied behind their back in these cases but thats not my problem.

... to be fair I'm pretty sure something like a Neptunia game would drive me fucking insane if I had to understand the actual dialogue, at least in English. Atelier might be preferable or equal in Japanese, but Neptunia seems even more blatantly "anime".

Originally Posted by synce

I say stop worrying about localizations and dubs and just dedicate 30 minutes a day to learning Japanese if you want to enjoy not just a whole new world of videogames the Kiseki series but a whole new culture.

Edited to show how I feel. :(

It's seriously the biggest motivation, I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few games were "eh, would've been nice" but I can blow over, but going off the first game the Kiseki series could be one of my favorite JRPG series, likely one of the most consistently great anyway, and it'd suck to never see the rest. Hell, as it is it sucks we'll be waiting forever to see the rest even in a best case scenario, wish XSEED jumped on years ago but they probably lacked some of the people who pushed for it most then.
Last edited by Eusis; 03-17-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Mauricio_Magus
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:42 AM)
Mauricio_Magus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stuart444

And I disagree with this, Atelier Ayesha for example has a great dub as do most Tales games.

but to each their own.

it's just my opinion, I'm not even from an English speaking country. My experience with dubs is from Tales, FF, and NIS games mostly.... and Anime, I can't stand 90% of dubbed anime
Stuart444
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:43 AM)
Stuart444's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mauricio_Magus

it's just my opinion, I'm not even from an English speaking country. My experience with dubs is from Tales, FF, and NIS games mostly.

That's why I said to each their own. We all have our own preferences.

The ideal situation would be to have dual audio for every release but we make do with what we can. As said above, hopefully future Atelier games get Dual audio back, hopefully Tales games get dual audio eventually, etc. Then everyone wins.
Mauricio_Magus
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:44 AM)
Mauricio_Magus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stuart444

That's why I said to each their own. We all have our own preferences.

The ideal situation would be to have dual audio for every release but we make do with what we can. As said above, hopefully future Atelier games get Dual audio back, hopefully Tales games get dual audio eventually, etc. Then everyone wins.

having different options is always the best, but sadly we've got low budgets and greedy publishers

and now stupid contracts
akaoni
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:44 AM)
akaoni's Avatar
It would've been interesting if his provided extreme example was a video game rather than somewhat obscure anime and to counter said example I would argue it happened because of the timeframe (8 years~) between production and acquiring the license. At the end of the day anyone who cares enough knows licensing issues arise but it changes very little - the product isn't free, if it doesn't meet standards (not just concerning voice tracks obviously) then it doesn't get purchased and the consumer isn't the one to blame, nor should they feel any guilt about doing so.
Last edited by akaoni; 03-17-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Eusis
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:45 AM)
Eusis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mauricio_Magus

it's just my opinion, I'm not even from an English speaking country. My experience with dubs is from Tales, FF, and NIS games mostly.... and Anime, I can't stand 90% of dubbed anime

Check out many of the PS1/Saturn/Dreamcast(/N64?) games here. That'll give you context for why people like me keep swearing modern dubs are not only fine but generally pretty good.

Though the source material can make dubs a bad fit period (assuming they aren't fundamentally atrocious anyway like SO4 seems to be.)
jschreier
(03-17-2013, 12:45 AM)
jschreier's Avatar
Hey XSEED I don't need dual-audio just Trails in the Sky SC thanks in advance =]
jello44
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:45 AM)
jello44's Avatar

Originally Posted by darkside31337

I really don't see how its that absurd. The audio component is part of the game.

I'm going to spend 50+ hours playing Neptunia Victory. I honestly would not buy the game if they cut out the JP track the same way they did to Ayesha and to me it doesn't really matter what the reason would be. I found the English track to be completely dreadful in the previous games and it would take away from the enjoyment of the game to the point where I'd be less interested in playing it.

I realize that it sucks for companies like XSEED and their hands are tied behind their back in these cases but thats not my problem.

Well, there's your problem.

Aside from being a Jets fan, I mean.
erpg
GAF parliamentarian
(03-17-2013, 12:45 AM)
erpg's Avatar
Are there frequently massive differences between anime and videogame voice acting contracts? Because Funimation and Crunchyroll seem to have easy access to livestream a ton of properties (*wink* Senran Kagura *nudge*).
Last edited by erpg; 03-17-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Mauricio_Magus
Member
(03-17-2013, 12:45 AM)
Mauricio_Magus's Avatar

Originally Posted by akaoni

It would've been interesting if his provided extreme example was a video game rather than somewhat obscure anime and to counter said example I would argue it happened because of the timeframe (8 years~) between production and acquiring the license. At the end of the day anyone who cares enough knows licensing issues arise but it changes very little - the product isn't free, if it doesn't meet standards (not just concerning voice tracks obviously) then it's doesn't get purchased and the consumer isn't the one to blame, nor should they feel any guilt about doing so.

but but... entitled gamers always have the fault!

Originally Posted by jschreier

Hey XSEED I don't need dual-audio just Trails in the Sky SC thanks in advance =]

hahaha this

Originally Posted by Eusis

Check out many of the PS1/Saturn/Dreamcast(/N64?) games here. That'll give you context for why people like me keep swearing modern dubs are not only fine but generally pretty good.

Though the source material can make dubs a bad fit period (assuming they aren't fundamentally atrocious anyway like SO4 seems to be.)

I agree, it was worse before... way worse

Thread Tools