• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putting the Ly into Polygon, Crecente: "Oh, that I saw"

Gies doesn't precisely strike me as intelligent:

PaVu0zE.png

This is hilarious, he's desperately trying for an aha! moment.

Beckx

In whatever version of the Afterlife currently holds Richard Nixon (I'm betting on Ringworld), he's sitting there in his cups, shaking his head and saying, jowls all a flutter, "where were these guys when I was president?"

Then he realizes Mark Twain has found him again, and begins shambling drunkenly away.

RobbieH

Serious question (and not specific to Polygon but to Twitter meltdowns in general); is there a point at which someone from the parent company (Vox Media in this case, I guess) would step in and tell Gies to lay off twitter for a bit? Or is that not their concern? I know 'any publicity is good publicity' or whatever, but the dude's clearly off his rocker lately; the hostility and hypocrisy is hitting higher levels every day. Can't imagine it's doing the site's image any favours, even in the eyes of its fans.

The impression I get is that they don't really give a shit. In the comments section of the Polygon story Crecente, the moderators and other editors basically said Gies comments are irrelevant to them because he's not part of the news team.

So, yeah, Walker saw the tweets and is pissed, Crecente is still pleading innocence, etc.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
*snip*

You have to do two things at your job Arthur; to be entertaining and to get the facts right. You can't do either.

Um... maybe you should keep that kind of criticism to yourself until you actually try your hand at games writing.

To the people saying Arthur is not a nice person:

I don't know him personally so I don't want to make any broad assessments, but like many gafers i used to listen to him on Rebel FM when it first started, and followed his twitter account.

I don't know if its just a show he's putting on, but if you listen to the early podcasts he spends his time basically cutting people off with one word answers (no, wrong, nope) and offering no real explanation outside of "your wrong and I'm right, now be quiet". The podcast became uncomfortable because discussions were derailed by him with no real follow through on the topics they were covering. The same could be said from his twitter account as you can see in this tread. I don't know if its him not being a nice person but the personality he has is not someone I would associate to a "journalist". All journalists are lied to and wrong about things over the course of their career, good journalists learn from it and move on.

He could be completely different in "real" life, for all we know this is a show. He wouldn't be the first narcissist to do it.

I also don't listen to RebelFM or read his twitter so my info could be outdated

nbthedude

The entire problem of the Polygon staff boils down to this:

1. They cannot ever admit they are wrong.

2. They cannot handle criticism.

3. They enjoy patting themselves on the back.

Sneds

It isnt the same thing though. The original argument started with what we were told, and what the game actually did and the PR that came out of it. If someone says that using a keyboard in that song wasnt possible, without a lot of work, only to figure out the person who originally wrote the notes for the song, also used a piano, then there is nothing wrong with saying, you should have probably used a piano/keyboard. Whether you agree or not that they should have used a piano, you can no longer hold the stance that saying they should have is "going beyond your means".

Having gone back to read Gies twitter feed and his conversation with @DrPizza, I think that you are right. I didn't realise he was talking specifically about playing SimCity offline.

Edit: That being said, people do still seem to be misrepresenting him, for example:

I hate the "if you don't make games then you can't say bad things about it" argument.

is extrapolating what Gies said in a way that Gies clearly didn't intend. You can see this from his most recent tweets.

rpmurphy

He isn't pretending to be an authority at all. His argument is a pretty basic appeal to ignorance, with a rather self-righteous tone.

"Nobody knows what is going on in the magical mysterious source code of Sim City! So how dare you attempt to speculate about whether or not it needs a persistent online connection!"
Another thing is that too, would you actually blame the programmers for the bungled algorithms considering how the software industry -- particularly the video game software industry -- works? I'd be way more inclined to believe that the business and management entities are far more responsible for creating all of this mess.

I'd imagine it could have gone like this:
Manager: Directive from the top says that the game needs social because social = $$$ and DRM.
Team: Our experience is in simulation.
Team: Can we get someone with experience with creating a massively-scalable client-server application?
Manager: We're not going to increase headcount. Just make sure that you prioritize this requirement above all else.

I hate the "if you don't make games then you can't say bad things about it" argument.

I may not be a chef but I can say that my own personal tastes may not enjoy something. The same could go with movies and other forms of entertainment and topics where personal opinion and subjective thinking form your overall experience with a product or event.

What I really can't get into is Arthur and Brian becoming the story instead of SimCity, Maxis, and EA. I mean, who cares if these guys copy a story or whatever, or don't source someone's original piece. It happens. There are no set-in-stone ethics and guidelines for how this so-called "games journalism" works.

If you don't like Polygon then don't give them clicks, visits, or impressions. All this does is keep the conversation on them and not the real story. Remember....

kfZV71O.jpg

SteveDaWonder

Neo Member
Hopefully they (Polygon Staffers) read it, and here I can make my compassionate plea for the Brothers McElroy to leave Polygon before they become like the rest of them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Because with Crecente’s recent tweets and the instances of Polygon’s moderators deleting comments it’s becoming ever clearer that the core is rotten.
Polygon's moderators deleted SimCity article comments? That's fucked up. I know they did it in the past and they're still shitty for doing that in the first place, but I didn't know they were still doing it.

rakhir

@crecenteb said:
Brian Crecente ‏@crecenteb 15 min
@Negative_Hippie @aegies @botherer Thanks. I tweeted because I wanted to point people to good piece of work, but I only scanned it.
oh, so he just scanned it? That's absolutely ok, right?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Arthur Gies took jus primae noctis with my mother!

We're taking inflammatory outlier NeoGAF posts and pasting them on Twitter for an echo chamber circle jerk, right?

If they didn't use twitter, none of us would be discussing this right now. Take a lesson from this. Use twitter to promote articles and your site, don't use it to respond to criticism.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
xtET5rQ.jpg

Why do I even play videogames when there are videogame journalists tweeting all day, every day!

I see Crescente is still the cunt he's always been, this is what he emailed back to a tip on an article that was falsely reporting on a fireware update:

To: tips@kotaku.com
Sent: 5/26/07 9:50 AM
Subject: PS3 Firmware 1.80 on PAL

Just to let you guys know that the 1.80 update on PAL consoles DID improve the compatibility. Just like 1.7 did before as well. Games like MGS3S, MSG2 (didnt work on some regions), SOCOM 3, ZoE2, etc... all work now

You guys should spend more time researching instead of thinking in ways on how to put a negative spin on any Sony news... it gets annoying really... That shit died months ago.

Subject: RE: PS3 Firmware 1.80 on PAL
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 11:34:46 -0600
To:

Too bad you didn't.

Risette

A Good Citizen

This is really embarrassing and a good insight into the mind of a "Games Writer". He's essentially saying that reviews should just be descriptions of a game like it's a cheap mass-produced appliance (to be fair most games are around or below this level but we should encourage them to improve with tough love by giving them the full treatment in criticism) and then applying "good" (translation: "works") or "bad" (translation: "doesn't really work") at the end of it all -- the typical game review. You can see it, for instance, in Polygon's review guidelines. Let's look at what they reserve a one for:
A score of one indicates that Polygon review staff believe said game doesn’t properly function. Most reasonable people will not be able to finish a game with a score of one due to massive technical, design, and execution problems.
Why not give a one to a game that is absolutely dreadful in every aspect yet works? Something that is just downright repulsive isn't better because it works, if anything it'd be worse because it lets you experience more of the garbage! Games that don't "function properly" shouldn't be scored, because if it doesn't properly function then you can't really judge it beyond the fact that it doesn't properly function -- it's just busted!

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and not assuming that he's implying that being a "Games Writer" gives him some sort of elevated status to talk about games, because that would be too embarrassing even for Gies. This really is one of those things that just airs out everything wrong with games journlolism (not to be confused with decent games journalism that exists in some places) and the mindset of the people who are a part of it.

Veezy

que?
Arthur Gies took jus primae noctis with my mother!

We're taking inflammatory outlier NeoGAF posts and pasting them on Twitter for an echo chamber circle jerk, right?

EL, it's a brilliant political trick. Addressing real concerns admits fault. However, if you find that a representative of the opposition shows extremism, you can hand waive an entire argument away by saying "see THIS is the shit I'm talking about with these people!"

It's even better when others do the work for you. Allows you to create a base of people to fight your arguments with out ever actually arguing.

Revven

I'm lost right now. What's going on in the journo's twitter world, now? I understand what's going on in the OP but...

Sneds

This is really embarrassing and a good insight into the mind of a "Games Writer". He's essentially saying that reviews should just be descriptions of a game like it's a cheap mass-produced appliance (to be fair most games are around or below this level but we should encourage them to improve with tough love by giving them the full treatment in criticism) and then applying "good" (translation: "works") or "bad" (translation: "doesn't really work") at the end of it all -- the typical game review.

That really isn't what he is saying. If you go to Gies' twitter feed you'll see that he has elaborated on this, for example:

i think there's a difference between saying "i didn't like the way this was done" and "they should have done this."

Now, you might disagree with that but Gies certainly isn't saying that all reviews should just be descriptions of a game without any criticism.

I see Crescente is still the cunt he's always been, this is what he emailed back to a tip on an article that was falsely reporting on a fireware update:

Doesn't surprise me honestly. Had friends show me emails where they emailed him legitimate complaints about the site's content and he told them to fuck off and die.

Veezy

que?
I'm lost right now. What's going on in the journo's twitter world, now? I understand what's going on in the OP but...

What's going on is grown men care not for their reputation nor the reputation for the organizations they represent. This is reflected in their non anonymous chest thumping and outright attack of anybody disagreeing with them.

It's sad, shameful, and immature and the perfect example of everything wrong with Twitter and Facebook.

spwolf

This is hilarious, he's desperately trying for an aha! moment.

if i remember correctly, when talk about orbis and durango appeared he "tried" to make himself look like he knows what he was talking about, but tehnically, as above, he has no background to make him understand even tiny bit of tech behind the medium he is reporting about.

Didn't Bischoff play a key role in sinking an entire company (WCW)?

He made his mistakes with the Hulk Hogan / Goldberg match and also the Pay-Per-View debacle, which also just so happened to include Goldberg (and DDP). But he really created controversy by bringing in Hall and Nash from WWF, then turning Hogan into a villain, as well as giving out the winners of WWF matches as soon as Nitro came on.

His main problem was giving too much control to the big guys in the later days, like Nash and the NWO, which made the lesser known talent unhappy, and then eventually it all succumbed to WCW being sold to AOL with Ted Turner no longer having a say in the matter.

Fixed1979

Yep.

He said their story was completely new based on an entirely original interview that had nothing to do with the same RPS story with the same source, took 3 days to put together and was inspired by their Lucy Bradshaw interview...but he didn't start working on it until after reading the RPS interview which he claims he never saw despite tweeting about it 3 days ago.

I've been trying hard to keep up with this whole debacle since the launch of SimCity 3 and the 9.5. I didn't believe for a second when he claimed not to have known about the RPS article, it's nice to see some proof. I don't know why those guys feel the need to deny and hold their ground when called out...it really surprises me. Although they do their best to separate their twitter accounts from P******, that site has some serious issues right now.

Top Bottom