• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Mr. RHC
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:00 PM)
Mr. RHC's Avatar


Edit: Wow it is indeed, true.

In my personal opinion, I think this is a great loss. Thank you for your amazing work in the series, for portraying Snake.

https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/sta...02108115234816

Edit 2: Hideo Kojima confirming a new actor for Metal Gear Solid V. http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/8...jima-interview About 5 minutes into the video.
Last edited by Mr. RHC; 03-29-2013 at 09:55 AM.
JordanKZ
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:01 PM)
JordanKZ's Avatar
3 theories:

1) Kojima is fucking trolling us, and that's not Big Boss in the trailer.
2) Hayter isn't playing Big Boss because Snake is somehow in this game.
3) Hayter has literally been cast aside for one reason or another.
DidntKnowJack
Banned
(03-27-2013, 09:02 PM)
DidntKnowJack's Avatar
I think by this point it's most obviously true.
Canis lupus
Junior Member
(03-27-2013, 09:02 PM)
Canis lupus's Avatar
The game won't be the same without Hayter.
Y2Kev
The Dark Souls of Moderators
(03-27-2013, 09:02 PM)
Y2Kev's Avatar
Good. He sucked it up in MGS3 and 4. Time for something new.

Au Revoir, our sweet prince from MGS1.
King of the Potato People
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:02 PM)
King of the Potato People's Avatar
Why wouldn't it be true? I guess they wanted to show the transition of BB getting older until he sounds like Richard Doyle.
Megalosaro
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:02 PM)
Megalosaro's Avatar
He was cast aside because they're using the "Old Man Big Boss" actor from MGS4
Hank Scorpio
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:03 PM)
Hank Scorpio's Avatar
GTFO!

My body is definitely not ready.
Lime
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:03 PM)
Lime's Avatar
You never know with Kojima. Nothing is certain until you have the game in your hands.
Eidan
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:03 PM)
Eidan's Avatar
Hayter is Snake. It won't be the same without him.
BosSin
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:03 PM)
BosSin's Avatar
Maybe it's because, for some strange reason, they've just decided to separate Big Boss and Solid Snake in terms of voice actors.
Sola Scriptura
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:03 PM)
Sola Scriptura's Avatar
If Snake is in MGS 5, why wouldn't they use Hayter? I'm confused.
brianmcdoogle
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:04 PM)
brianmcdoogle's Avatar
That's a shame.
Sola Scriptura
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:04 PM)
Sola Scriptura's Avatar

Originally Posted by Y2Kev

Good. He sucked it up in MGS3 and 4. Time for something new.

Au Revoir, our sweet prince from MGS1.

Why were you disappointed in his MGS3 and 4 performances?
ReturnOfTheRAT
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:04 PM)
ReturnOfTheRAT's Avatar
David is doing his best to give people with Cryptology degrees something to do.
ColbyTheFox
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:04 PM)
I'm expecting young snake to appear near the end (But even then, it would probably be a kid voicing him)
DJSharpeCheddar
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:04 PM)
DJSharpeCheddar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Megalosaro

He was cast aside because they're using the "Old Man Big Boss" actor from MGS4

Might not be Richard Doyle, actually. In the beginning of the gameplay demo Kojima was playing, Boss was also Kiefer Sutherland. Listen closely.
Shadow Hog
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:04 PM)
Shadow Hog's Avatar

Originally Posted by JordanKZ

3 theories:

1) Kojima is fucking trolling us, and that's not Big Boss in the trailer.
2) Hayter isn't playing Big Boss because Snake is somehow in this game.
3) Hayter has literally been cast aside for one reason or another.

4) Big Boss has aged considerably, so they're using Richard Doyle as that's his "old" voice.
Sponge
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:04 PM)
Sponge's Avatar
As if my day couldn't get any worse.
Echoenigma
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:04 PM)
Echoenigma's Avatar

Originally Posted by Y2Kev

Good. He sucked it up in MGS3 and 4. Time for something new.

Au Revoir, our sweet prince from MGS1.

He wasnt bad in 3, and it's not like the performances in metal gear are any more than goofy fun anyway.
shinobi602
Banned
(03-27-2013, 09:05 PM)
shinobi602's Avatar
NOOOOOOOOO
Alienous
Banned
(03-27-2013, 09:05 PM)
At least he can write the screenplay for the next X-Men m... oh, wait.

Don't be a hater, Hayter. Every Diamond Dog has its day. Yours is ... behind us.


(This is strange though, since Miller sounds the same. Hayter'll always be the voice of Solid Snake. He has that character. I suppose Big Boss allows for more creative liberty).
trimon
Junior Member
(03-27-2013, 09:05 PM)
trimon's Avatar
I think Hayter will show up as one of the two "phantoms".
Xun
Banned
(03-27-2013, 09:05 PM)
Xun's Avatar

Originally Posted by JordanKZ

3 theories:

1) Kojima is fucking trolling us, and that's not Big Boss in the trailer.
2) Hayter isn't playing Big Boss because Snake is somehow in this game.
3) Hayter has literally been cast aside for one reason or another.

I'm thinking this, but we'll see.
boinx
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:05 PM)
boinx's Avatar
I will be sad if he is not in this game.
Vandrar
(03-27-2013, 09:05 PM)
Vandrar's Avatar
Shame, but MGS4 was a pretty bad performance.
maquiladora
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:06 PM)
maquiladora's Avatar
Hayters gonna wait to reprise his role in MGS6
jediyoshi
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:06 PM)
jediyoshi's Avatar
And a follow up

bernardobri
Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
(03-27-2013, 09:06 PM)
bernardobri's Avatar
Edit. Heh, beaten.
Last edited by bernardobri; 03-27-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Wounded
Junior Member
(03-27-2013, 09:06 PM)
Wounded's Avatar
I'm going with Solid Snake being in this, thus Big Boss voiced by someone else.
Sephzilla
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:06 PM)
Sephzilla's Avatar
My "Kojima" sense is tingling a little bit.

I don't think Hayter would be the type who would want to burn a bridge & given that Snake's normal VA is doing MGSV in Japan, I think something's up. Perhaps Solid Snake is actually in the game someplace.
alr1ght
bish gets all the credit :)
(03-27-2013, 09:06 PM)
alr1ght's Avatar
I hope he's just trolling.

He is Snake.
diamount
Banned
(03-27-2013, 09:06 PM)
He was shit. Stick to directing/writing.
fadetoblack
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:06 PM)
fadetoblack's Avatar
I really like Hayter, but really, another good voice actor can fill his shoes and do just as good a job if not better. Mel Blanc created Bugs Bunny, but his successors have done a wonderful job fulfilling that role. I appreciate Hayter and would prefer him for sentimental reasons, but I'm not sure any changes would have any appreciably negative effects.
funkystudent
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:06 PM)
funkystudent's Avatar
How close are we to MSX metal gear 1 in the timeline if 5 takes place 9-10 years after peace walker?


Could a young Solid Snake make a appearance?


Never had a problem with David. He did the best he could with the scripts he had.
keltickennedy
ah can't conversate
(03-27-2013, 09:07 PM)
keltickennedy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Canis lupus

The game won't be the same without Hayter.

I know...it will just be better. lol. I kid. That actually does suck for the people who really liked him.
PedroPanache
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:07 PM)
PedroPanache's Avatar
So are they definitely going with Richard Doyle then? Because I'm ok with this, the transition needs to happen at some point, and besides Doyle can deliver a mean monologue, not to mention it's time Big Boss/Snake evolved beyond his incredulity (Metal....Gear???) why everyone around him monologues him to death.
J-Rod
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:07 PM)
J-Rod's Avatar
To me, this is worse than changing darth vaders voice.
Binabik15
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:07 PM)
Binabik15's Avatar
Eh, it's BB, anyway.

If Hayter is gone for good for voicing Solid, though, get to the phone asap and contact the guys from the German dub. Have them take over the English VA. Hilarity will ensue.
Spwn
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:08 PM)
Spwn's Avatar
Hayter's character is Solid Snake. Despite his voice work as Big Boss in MGS3, I think they wrote him off from that role with MGS4. I didn't expect this to be a shock to anyone.
Chamber
love on your sleeve
(03-27-2013, 09:08 PM)
Chamber's Avatar
You'll always be Snake to me, David!
SalsaShark
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(03-27-2013, 09:08 PM)
SalsaShark's Avatar
he was getting bad but at the same time he kinda is Snake
shinobi602
Banned
(03-27-2013, 09:08 PM)
shinobi602's Avatar

Originally Posted by jediyoshi

And a follow up


WTF?
Maddocks
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:08 PM)
Maddocks's Avatar
If Richard Doyle is doing Big Bosses voice, then its all good to me.
DJSharpeCheddar
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:08 PM)
DJSharpeCheddar's Avatar

Originally Posted by PedroPanache

So are they definitely going with Richard Doyle then? Because I'm ok with this, the transition needs to happen at some point, and besides Doyle can deliver a mean monologue, not to mention it's time Big Boss/Snake evolved beyond his incredulity (Metal....Gear???) why everyone around him monologues him to death.

Originally Posted by DJSharpeCheddar

Might not be Richard Doyle, actually. In the beginning of the gameplay demo Kojima was playing, Boss was also Kiefer Sutherland. Listen closely.

.
alr1ght
bish gets all the credit :)
(03-27-2013, 09:09 PM)
alr1ght's Avatar

Originally Posted by PedroPanache

So are they definitely going with Richard Doyle then? Because I'm ok with this, the transition needs to happen at some point, and besides Doyle can deliver a mean monologue, not to mention it's time Big Boss/Snake evolved beyond his incredulity (Metal....Gear???) why everyone around him monologues him to death.

It appears to be Kiefer Sutherland voicing Big Boss/Bandaged man.

Originally Posted by Sephzilla

My "Kojima" sense is tingling a little bit.

I don't think Hayter would be the type who would want to burn a bridge & given that Snake's normal VA is doing MGSV in Japan, I think something's up. Perhaps Solid Snake is actually in the game someplace.

If regular Snake voice actor is voicing Big Boss/Bandaged man in Japan, then Hayter is definitely out.
DoctorWho
BOSS
(03-27-2013, 09:09 PM)
DoctorWho's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mr. RHC



Edit: Wow it is indeed, true.

In my personal opinion, I think this is a great loss. Thank you for your amazing work in the series, for portraying Snake.

https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/sta...02108115234816

I can understand why they may have decided to change things up but they should have at least talked to him about it considering how long he's been with the series.
GhostTrick
Member
(03-27-2013, 09:09 PM)
GhostTrick's Avatar
No Hayter, no buy.

Except if they have a very good reason.
Angry Fork
Spelling is Hard
(03-27-2013, 09:09 PM)
Angry Fork's Avatar

Originally Posted by fadetoblack

I really like Hayter, but really, another good voice actor can fill his shoes and do just as good a job if not better. Mel Blanc created Bugs Bunny, but his successors have done a wonderful job fulfilling that role. I appreciate Hayter and would prefer him for sentimental reasons, but I'm not sure any changes would have any appreciably negative effects.

If they get an actor who can replicate Snake's voice I can tolerate that, but it cannot be something entirely different.

Troy Baker or Nolan North as Snake.... NO.
JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.
(03-27-2013, 09:09 PM)
don't care what anybody says on GAF. dude was awesome as Snake.

Thread Tools