• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clairvoyance - Cutest Robot Chess Deathmatch EVER

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Mini-OP because of time constraints! I highly recommend checking out this video where someone explains how to play the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wFmyZB57ldQ

And other Indies you should check out in the monthly Indie thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532236
ioLwXzgg2wY08.gif

This game is oooozing charme and is surprisingly polished. I love that you can "draw" the pixels on your robot faces and make them say something in between the rounds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Info Box |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Price: $5
Genre: MP Only Asynchronous Turn Based Tactical Robot Shenanigans (Similar to Frozen Synapse, on a grid)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Description |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can compare this to chess, or Frozen Synapse if you know that game. You are giving orders to your robots and then the actions of both players are being run in turns. Action 1 of player A, then Action 1 of player B, then action 2 of Player A, etcetc. The fun of this kind of game comes from the mind games you are having with your opponents. You can shoot, move, turn and throw bombs and your task is to correctly judge what your opponent might do to conduct the perfect counter attack. The game is not as deep as Frozen Synapse because there are less options and less "fine tuning" needed, but its still highly enjoyable, especially since its also more quicker to play. Biggest drawback: The game does not have that many players so far (since its still somewhat early in development) and really needs some more exposure to build up a decent community. But thats what this thread is for! Lets have some GAF matches!

I highly recommend checking out this video where someone explains how to play the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wFmyZB57ldQ

Short feature list blurb:

- MP only
- Every match is kept track of and can be immediately viewed
- Customization of avatar and robot faces
- Robot talk in the game
- asynchronous MP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Other pictures |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| FAQ |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Will there be an iOS/Android/Linux version?
We want to port the game to as many platforms as possible, iOS is our first priority. We will have to wait and see if the game gets popular enough on Windows and Mac first though!

Is the game secure?
We use SSL for the connection between the client and the server. All passwords are encrypted before storage. We take security very seriously but can't guarantee anything in case of a malicious attack. Please be responsible and don't re-use your password.

Is there a fullscreen mode?
Yes, there is a little icon up in the left corner that toggles between windowed and fullscreen mode. The game requires a minimum resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels. On small monitors we recommend using the fullscreen mode to save vertical space.

When do I receive e-mail notifications?
If you have selected "receive notifications" in the settings menu you will get an e-mail in the following cases:
When someone challenges you
When someone is waiting for you to make your move (they have submitted one turn more than you)
When you haven't made a move in a game for a long time (2 days)
When you have lost a game because of not making a move in time (3 days after the reminder has been sent out)
You will never get e-mail notifications when you are logged into the game.

Why do my moves happen last?
Read all about the initiative here: http://www.gameofclairvoyance.com/help/initiative

Are you going to do Steam Green Light?
Thanks for asking! We will investigate possible platforms and sale channels more when we reach version 1.0

Dev comment:
Hey man,
For starters, thanks for digging the game!
We are currently working on another game cuz we needed a little break from Clairvoyance and we also wanted to see how the game is doing by itself before we make a final release.
We do have some things planned like the ones you are mentioning but right now there is actually a way to see what players are online if you check out the right tab in the Lobby.

There is also a Random Fight Button on that there tab which lets you challenge a random player who is online and it also picks a random map for you.

Its cool that you contacted us directly here on Facebook and maybe we will get a forum up when the game is done. It all depends on how many people play the game I guess. As this game is still in Beta-phase we welcome feedback of all sorts!

We also have plans for a Map Editor but thats abit hush hush at the moment.
Yep, see ya around!

Since I want to play this game a bit, give it a whirl! Its only $5 and the devs are still measuring the interest in this game to decide how they progress with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| GAF names |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(let me know if you want to be added here or if I should take you out of the list)

travisrwebster
TxdoHawk
elyetis
SapientWolf
Toma
wok
messofanego
Costanza
Pylon

I'd say that if we get a few guys together (8?) we'll start a tournament at some point next week since all of us will be somewhat new to this game. :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh and yeah, props for the GIF go to Messofanego..

Can see this getting big. Even for someone not into MP or strategy games, this looks appealing.

The video replay feature is genius, and pausing it reminds me of Max Payne 1.

Toma

Can see this getting big. Even for someone not into MP or strategy games, this looks appealing.

The video replay feature is genius, and pausing it reminds me of Max Payne 1.

Not with this kind of reception on here (317 views and no post! yay) :p But yeah, it has a lot of potential, especially since its really polished. The map editor would be a nice addition too.

Btw, you bought the game?

Ferrio

Banned
Remind myself to check it out when I get home, you always find good gems.

How is the community? MP isn't a ghosttown is it?

Toma

Damn it, I gave in and bought it! The cute robot faces were too much.

Add me, it'll be my username.

Let me know when your account has been created :) Cant add you before.

Toma

Remind myself to check it out when I get home, you always find good gems.

How is the community? MP isn't a ghosttown is it?

The game is still very young, so its not all that much with 830 players. You can always challenge other players and I got a few games going, since its asynchronous, meaning people dont need to be online to be played against.

But that was a bit unsatisfying since I want some more quicker matches atm after buying the game. I'd say if people want to check out the game, NOW is the best time, since we'll have a few gaffers offering to play :) And its pretty cheap with $5 for a very polished game. Even if I only get 20-30 hours of playtime out of it in the next 3-4 weeks with some gaffers here, I'll be rather satisfied with my purchase.

Hopefully, the thread does some convincing work for lurkers to pick it up as well. If this thread gets a few people chiming in, chances are the community is getting a bit bigger via the reception through this thread too.

Nivert

I started a game with you Toma! Name is Costanza. I have a feeling you're going to kick my butt.

This is cool though and I'm digging the music.

Man Toma should get a tag. Probably "indie connoisseur"

And kudos man, you've made some great threads in the past. Love your recommendations of games.

Haha lost but just needed one match to get acclimated.

There's a way to add people as friends? What does "remember your foe" mean? Will be hard to type in players to challenge every time.

Toma

Haha lost but just needed one match to get acclimated.

There's a way to add people as friends? What does "remember your foe" mean? Will be hard to type in players to challenge every time.

Here is your first match btw, archived until eternity ;)

http://www.gameofclairvoyance.com/tv/8406

Gotta admit, pretty much everything went right for me in that one.
Remember your foe adds them to the "Foe" list on the right side, which basically works as a friends list.

Oh and (Mess, Nivert) you guys should add each other too. Should I add you guys to the list in the OP?

Even when not being good at it, I still feel like I'm learning while the nice music and cute aesthetic is like "there there, son".

Toma

Even when not being good at it, I still feel like I'm learning while the nice music and cute aesthetic is like "there there, son".

I just started out as well, you pick up most tricks pretty fast in this game. ;)

Toma

How do I climb other robots? Haven't gotten that down yet.

Just walk towards it, like any other block. You can also walk on bombs, but.. tread carefully.

Just walk towards it, like any other block. You can also walk on bombs, but.. tread carefully.

I realized sometimes I wasn't clicking on the letter to start their move, my bad.

Turning around is key. Don't underestimate the power of rotation!

Toma

I realized sometimes I wasn't clicking on the letter to start their move, my bad.

Turning around is key. Don't underestimate the power of rotation!

Yeah, you need to turn around to throw bombs or climb.

I've got to have dinner and head out, sorry couldn't accept challenges with Toma and Costanza (Nivert) but you guys gave great matches :D

Toma

I've got to have dinner and head out, sorry couldn't accept challenges with Toma and Costanza (Nivert) but you guys gave great matches :D

No worry, its asynchronous anyway ;) You'll be back!

Oh and yeah, in case you guys didnt see it in the OP: I'd say we do a mini tournament next week if we get to it. We are currently 6, so maybe we'll find another 2 somewhere.

Toma

D'aww. Nivert just lost 2 games within 2 minutes. Sorry, man! But at least you managed to destroy one of my robots ;)

elyetis

Seriously, someone give Costanza a win ;p
Sorry, endend up being quite lucky ( things never went as expected, but most of the time for the better ).

I did find funny the kill he got on me with a grenade on the top of one of my robot.

Really fun game.

Toma

Sorry, endend up being quite lucky ( things never went as expected, but most of the time for the better ).

I did find funny the kill he got on me with a grenade on the top of one of my robot.

Really fun game.

Oh god, lol. I laughed so hard when you wrote "Thx, I love that hat" at the end :D
http://www.gameofclairvoyance.com/tv/8420

You deserved to win just for that line, haha.

Toma

Too bad -for me- it's the only good thing I did for the entire match. ^ ^"

D'awww. Dont be too hard on yourself. But yeah, you should poke your head out in the first turn if you dont have the initiative.

TxdoHawk

I liked Frozen Synapse, but not how twiddly it was as far as minute details, so this looks right up my alley. Will grab once home from work.

Toma

If we find at least one more person, we could do a small tournament :-o

Toma

I liked Frozen Synapse, but not how twiddly it was as far as minute details, so this looks right up my alley. Will grab once home from work.

Yeah, its basically the mind games of Frozen Synapse without half an hour of preparation for each move. Kinda nice that this game is a bit more fast paced in comparison (although I absolutely adore FS).

Toma

Alright, enough of this game for today. Managed to play enough to get a good grip on how the game works :) I wont neglect the games started though and will play some more over the next few days and hopefully get the small tournament rolling. If anyone new enters the thread, feel free to challenge me or any of the other guys mentioned in the list at the end of the OP.

Wok

Good game, Toma. You managed a really good move at the end.

People who like mind games like Frozen Synapse and Clairvoyance will also like SpyParty, when it gets released.

Toma

Good game, Toma. You managed a really good move at the end.

People who like mind games like Frozen Synapse and Clairvoyance will also like SpyParty, when it gets released.

I prepared that move like... 3 turns before? Glad you thought I was going for the "end" of that platform. You could have easily fucked up my plan if you realized what I was trying to do.

Awesome match though! Probably the best I had so far. The 1on1 situation was super tense. Thanks! (Edit: lol, I already forgot about me singing at the end there, haha. Sorry, that wasnt meant to be insulting :) )

If anyone is interested in my super-uber move at the end (lol):
http://www.gameofclairvoyance.com/tv/8394

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sweet. This thread turned into a robot fight club. I'll send some invites out today.

The game isn't as intimidating as it sounds. A lot of new players do really well because their moves are so unpredictable.

Top Bottom