• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

IceDoesntHelp
(04-05-2013, 07:48 PM)

Most likely to Indie Devs, but maybe Western Devs too? Who knows.
Could this help Nintendo and the Wii U?
Or are they still effectively dooimed?
Sendou
(04-05-2013, 07:49 PM)
So it's like Sony with Vita? I could only see this benefiting to very small indies. I just hope this isn't because Nintendo can't find people to sell them to.
RurouniZel
Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Still doomed.
shagg_187
lapdance transform pants

Originally Posted by Sendou

So it's like Sony with Vita?

Yep. Common trend it seems for platforms that are in trouble.
gngf123
Great move if true.

However, the WiiU dev kit was already incredibly cheap compared to other dev kits, so I'm not sure this will actually help all that much.
Dark Octave
Banned
Desperate times.
KojiKnight

Originally Posted by IceDoesntHelp

Every major western dev has the dev kits. Even if they don't plan on using them, they purchased them just in case.
Futureman
(04-05-2013, 07:50 PM)
wouldn't it only make sense for this to be for indie developers? Wouldn't a dev kit be like 0.0005% of the budget of a normal 3rd party title?
GoofsterStud
This makes things look worse.

:-/
zroid
probably just indies, but yeah that's always good
ExigentContact
At this point it's a pretty sensible move if it means more games get made for the Wii U. Does anyone have a solid ballpark estimate on the cost of a Wii U devkit?
outunderthestars
He's not our sharpest knife.
Giving free dev kits doesn't change the fact that there is no consumer demand for the system itself.
Kyoufu
Makes sense. Sony is doing it with the Vita. Doesn't hurt them.
gngf123
(04-05-2013, 07:51 PM)

Originally Posted by ExigentContact

At this point it's a pretty sensible move if it means more games get made for the Wii U. Does anyone have a solid ballpark estimate on the cost of a Wii U devkit?

$3k

This includes a fully licensed version of Unity4 with WiiU exporting options.
Sendou

Originally Posted by outunderthestars

Giving free dev kits doesn't change the fact that there is no consumer demand for the system itself.

But maybe games will ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
pswii60

Originally Posted by IceDoesntHelp

The biggest worry is that they have to do this at all. Normally devs are jumping over backwards to get devkits, it seems this is the other way around.
Criminal Upper
Banned
Maybe Team Meat will developer for it now, since they routinely demand publishers give them everything on a silver platter.
cw_sasuke
(04-05-2013, 07:52 PM)

Originally Posted by GoofsterStud

This makes things look worse.

:-/

Yep, getting more indie support and offering eShop incentives makes thinks look worse ......erm what ?
Somnid
Corporate Ballwasher
Ignore everything I say

Originally Posted by Sendou

But maybe games will ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Preposterous.

They really need to just release their web framework for free and make people pay $50 to release something much like most mobile models.
Porcile
Seems like a decent incentive for indies if true.
fluffydelusions
(04-05-2013, 07:54 PM)
How does Wii U compare to past Nintendo systems sales? I mean is this one the worst seller so far?
Volotaire
Nice incentive for indies to play around a bit
Meelow
Banned
I think this is for indie devs, which is good since tons of indies can't afford a dev kit.

Originally Posted by fluffydelusions

How does Wii U compare to past Nintendo systems sales? I mean is this one the worst seller so far?

I don't know about that, I do know the Wii U sold about 3 million? Already, While compared to the 360 which sold 6 million in it's first year, so the Wii U might be on the same track as the 360.
Hero of Legend
(04-05-2013, 07:55 PM)

Originally Posted by cw_sasuke

Yep, getting more indie support and offering eShop incentives makes thinks look worse ......erm what ?

He means it looks like Nintendo are desperate.

But I welcome it! Hell, I WANT ONE! If they're giving them out... and I can't code for shit, I'd just keep one around... maybe that will kick me into learning how to code and maybe finally work towards making games!
Gonzo The Great
(04-05-2013, 07:56 PM)

Because there are no games. Which is why Nintendo is giving out free development kits. Does every positive Nintendo thread need to be plagued with trolling and negativity?
Hiltz
(04-05-2013, 07:57 PM)
According to Nintendo Business Development Manager Dan Adelman:

Dev kits are actually not all that expensive. They’re about the price of a high-end PC. Nothing that should be a showstopper for anyone.

http://nintendoeverything.com/117019...hreshold-more/
Nosgoroth
☑ Learn to code
☑ Get the help of a graphical designer
☑ Come up with a game
☑ Make the game (in progress)
☑ Get a secure space for the devkit
☑ Get a devkit (hopefully get it for free!)
☐ Have previous professional game dev experience

:(
EuropeOG

yeah.... but that is what software is for, creating demand, and free devkits means possibly more games. I thought that would speak for itself, I guess not.
cw_sasuke
(04-05-2013, 08:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Hero of Legend

He means it looks like Nintendo are desperate.

But I welcome it! Hell, I WANT ONE! If they're giving them out... and I can't code for shit, I'd just keep one around... maybe that will kick me into learning how to code and maybe finally work towards making games!

As platform holder it's their job to get content for their hardware, I don't see how it' is desperate.
TheGreatMightyPoo

Originally Posted by Criminal Upper

Maybe Team Meat will developer for it now, since they routinely demand publishers give them everything on a silver platter.

They said this is a step in the right direction in getting them onboard.

They'll be even closer to putting a game on the Wii U when Miyamoto watches their pets for them when they go on vacation.
DieH@rd
They probably have a healthy stock after many developer returned them back to Nintendo...
Hero
I talked to Yacht Club Games (Shovel Knight devs) at PAX East about them being so on board with Nintendo right out of the gates and they told me that Nintendo straight up lent them a Wii U development kit for free. I can see this being true for some developers in similar positions.
Dysun
(04-05-2013, 08:01 PM)
Please be excited make games for us
EuropeOG
(04-05-2013, 08:02 PM)

Good launch sales (3 million by end of 2012), very bad post launch sales.
pixlexic
(04-05-2013, 08:03 PM)
all the platforms need a sdk for public use.
Ghost_Protocol
(04-05-2013, 08:04 PM)
I'd be surprised if they weren't doing this. Developers already don't want anything to do with the system, why would they pay Nintendo to develop for it?
famousmortimer
Banned
(04-05-2013, 08:05 PM)
Whether it's an act of desperation or something nintendo would be doing even if they were selling 500K+ a month, it's always good news to get more developers, especially indies, in the mix.
Vashetti
(04-05-2013, 08:05 PM)
Sendou
(04-05-2013, 08:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Ghost_Protocol

I'd be surprised if they weren't doing this. Developers already don't want anything to do with the system, why would they pay Nintendo to develop for it?

I don't understand your logic. If they don't see the return for their investment (making games for a platform in this case) then they won't make it even if it was $3000 more profitable for them. This is more like a good gesture than anything.
Mudkips
Banned
(04-05-2013, 08:07 PM)
If I had a Wii U dev kit the first thing I would do is make an application that lets me control my fucking receiver. The current remote and TVii shit is pointless for me unless I can control my receiver to switch between inputs.
Live Free or Die
(04-05-2013, 08:07 PM)
Wow. not good. They're getting closer to being a software only company.
jay
(04-05-2013, 08:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Gonzo The Great

Because there are no games. Which is why Nintendo is giving out free development kits. Does every positive Nintendo thread need to be plagued with trolling and negativity?

It's probably one of those "no games will change anything because they have missed the market and it's so fundamentally flawed no one could want it" posts. Or he actually doesn't understand software is good at selling hardware.
Tobor
Look!
A crack addict with a tag!
(04-05-2013, 08:08 PM)

Easily solved. Give out free Wii U's to consumers.
Schnozberry
(04-05-2013, 08:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Hero

I talked to Yacht Club Games (Shovel Knight devs) at PAX East about them being so on board with Nintendo right out of the gates and they told me that Nintendo straight up lent them a Wii U development kit for free. I can see this being true for some developers in similar positions.

Yeah, it seems that Nintendo is bending over backwards to get smaller developers involved. With all the 3rd party partnerships Iwata keeps talking about, I'm wondering if they are just scouting small devs to see if they can find people they can farm work out to for Nintendo franchises.
Last edited by Schnozberry; 04-05-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Zoramon089
Banned

Originally Posted by DieH@rd

They probably have a healthy stock after many developer returned them back to Nintendo...

I don't think...they can do that...
Log4Girlz
I recently went to my friends house to check out his wii. I was generally impressed. It was larger than I expected though.
That war chest in action.
Coolwhip
(04-05-2013, 08:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Live Free or Die

No this is a clear sign they are going back to cardgames.
Schnozberry
(04-05-2013, 08:10 PM)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_(logic)
ExigentContact
(04-05-2013, 08:11 PM)

As far as things are going, it's numbers are actually sitting above at least one of the HD twins at a similar LTD and maybe the Wii, as well. That's more to due with the Wii U having a decent launch than its current performance, while the other systems had somewhat weaker launches but sold through better into the launch window and beyond.

There's no question that the Wii U is currently doing very badly, but provided that it can get back on track within the year it'll be fine, more or less. Handing out devkits to increase output is a good solution, even if the offer only extends to indies. Maybe they should be doing the same with select, smaller, third parties, as well.
IceDoesntHelp
(04-05-2013, 08:11 PM)

Not really.