• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

entremet

I follow a bunch of Garage Sale Youtubers. There's still a lot of great hauls out there.

Never underestimate people's laziness when getting rid of shit they don't care for anymore.

While eBay is popular, many people find it a huge hassle.

I can only imagine the treasure troves sitting in people's attics.

Mzo

I often daydream of having some sort of video game detector and driving down the streets looking for old games stuck in attics.

Door to door is going to happen eventually.

I often daydream of having some sort of video game detector and driving down the streets looking for old games stuck in attics.

Door to door is going to happen eventually.

Haha, I like to imagine that as well. I think "There must be a small box of NES games hidden in that house's basement..."

Beep... Beep.. Beep.Beep.Beep.BEEPBEEPBEEP-!
"We're coming in on something big... We got games... and... unbelievable.. There must be at least 5 boxes .. Circa... 1992?? Alright, they're in the basement... We're gonna have to blow the wall. Detonating.... NOW! *BOOM*.

"I see 3..4... 5 boxes... Wait, there's a 6th box wrapped in foil labeled 'Dad's Games'!. Extracting now!"

I'm shocked that a video store in 2015 still had 8 and 16 bit games with the original boxes... Nice find tho.

Anywho, thoughts on the NES Nightmare on Elm Street game? It has a pretty negative reputation because of the AVGN review but I think it's pretty decent. I think it's a small miracle that there even is a Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street game on the NES given Nintendo of America's strict censorship. But the graphics and controls are good even if the jumps are a little too floaty. The music is quality and has a very faithful 8 bit interpretation of the nursery rhyme from the movies. It deceives you into thinking it's non-linear like a Mega Man game and you can go into any house but they have to be approached in order. It was done deliberately so you would lose time on your sleep meter and pad the game out a bit. I didn't mind that so much because actually fighting Freddy and hearing the nursery rhyme was great and got me spooked as a kid. Even if Freddy is easy as fuck in those battles.

The big problems are:

You cannot see your hit points. You get a maximum of 4 hit points before losing a life.

The hit detection on flying enemies is suspect.

Playing while awake in-game isn't as fun as playing in the dream world and having access to the Ninja and Athlete persona's.

There's some very cheap enemy spawn points and at least one jump that's almost impossible unless you're in the dream world and use the Ninja or Athlete persona. Not to mention that enemies (particularly flying enemies) almost never go away if you leave the screen. Those bats and flies will follow you to the very end of the level until you kill them.

The bosses are a little uninspired too.

Overall I'd give it a 6.5 which I think is fair.

The Friday the 13th game is terrible.

To be honest, I feel like that a 4-player simultaneous Rare-produced platformer runs on NES hardware at all and came out is borderline miraculous. Don't expect too much of it beyond that and fighting Freddy a few times on an NES, and you'll be pleased enough.

Teknoman

Good lord. That a LITERAL Shut up and take my money situation.

That being said, I gotta ask, how'd your brother know that it was a garage sale that was mostly old rental store stock? Was it on a storage lot or something?

I thought I was lucky getting S.C.A.T. for 3 bucks at a flea market a year or so back but damn. I wonder if Houston / surrounding areas would even have a minor chance of a garage sale actually having something of worth.

Spades

Holy shit. Amazing haul - congrats!

I'm still sitting on about 200 NES/Famicom games in my collection. I actually don't collect the original boxes, but rather just the cart and manual, which I place inside custom, plastic cases. My games take up more room, but they look really nice and uniform lined up on a shelf. Here are some pics of what I'm talking about:

Those boxes look fantastic.

NDPsycho

Good lord. That a LITERAL Shut up and take my money situation.

That being said, I gotta ask, how'd your brother know that it was a garage sale that was mostly old rental store stock? Was it on a storage lot or something?

I thought I was lucky getting S.C.A.T. for 3 bucks at a flea market a year or so back but damn. I wonder if Houston / surrounding areas would even have a minor chance of a garage sale actually having something of worth.

He went to the yard sale because they advertised it as having video games. I've always asked my family members to let me know if they ever find any when they're looking. He didn't know in advance that they were selling that much or that it was prior rental stock until he got there. He called and woke me up and said to come as fast as I could because there were crates and crates and they were selling quickly. That's why I missed their opening.

Not much left to buy there last time I left, so your wish is granted :) Sorry if this comes across as bragging (I know it kind of is..). None of my friends collect games, I felt compelled to share my euphoria in the moment and this seemed like the right place.

I just know that if I ever found something like that the next thing that would happen would be me waking up. That's not even true since even in my dreams I only find overpriced damaged goods. In the area I live it is literally pointless to go to yard sales with how many other people are trying to make money off of retro video games. If there is one that was advertised as having video games? That shit would be sold out the day before it even started. My jelly could feed a family for a year.

Holy crap, man!

Get some plastic game protectors STAT.

http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com

Those are some pristine cardboard boxes, which are rare these days.

What is hilarious is that they cost like 4x what he paid for the games themselves. Hilarious. :C

EDIT: shortening an overly long post. Basic question - is the Power Glove worth getting as a novelty item? Do they work with modern TVs or is it dependent in any way on CRT tech?

To be honest, I feel like that a 4-player simultaneous Rare-produced platformer runs on NES hardware at all and came out is borderline miraculous. Don't expect too much of it beyond that and fighting Freddy a few times on an NES, and you'll be pleased enough.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I didn't know this was developed by Rare until not long ago. The idea of playing a 4P co-op Rare platformer on the NES ... sounds really cool no matter that theme or license.

Zing

Banned
In the area I live it is literally pointless to go to yard sales with how many other people are trying to make money off of retro video games. If there is one that was advertised as having video games? That shit would be sold out the day before it even started.
Same here. Anything advertising video games has nothing left by the time of the actual sale.

entremet

yeah, the internet has changed the game, especially eBay.

Sometimes you do run into generous souls who just want to get rid of stuff, though.

That's why all collectors should put feelers out there--coworkers, associates, friends of friends. Ask if they have have old video games they'r looking to get rid off.

I've gotten a lot of free to super cheap this way.

Don't be afraid of your nerd hobbies!

Besides video games are cool now. It's the new vinyl and just as pricey lol.

sphinx

the piano man
anyone here played and enjoyed the Golgo 13 games?

I remember the first one being nigh broken, very clunky and hard to play with it lame "3D" corridors but I think I remember finishing it once.

The 2nd one though, wow, like day and night, Mafat conspiracy rocked, a phenomenal game.

anyone here played and enjoyed the Golgo 13 games?

I remember the first one being nigh broken, very clunky and hard to play with it lame "3D" corridors but I think I remember finishing it once.

The 2nd one though, wow, like day and night, Mafat conspiracy rocked, a phenomenal game.
I owned both and I prefer the first one. Second looked much better and nostalgia helps the first one but ultimately, the original was just more fun.

Mega

Banned
Agree with the rest about that being the best haul ever. I was an adolescent scrounging up lunch money trying to get my hands on NES games in the mid 90s when local shops and video stores were eager to get rid of "old Nintendo crap" and it still wasn't this good or this cheap. That's just crazy. Congrats.

The Friday the 13th game is terrible.

Cannot concur! This was a childhood favorite that legitimately terrified me before I got a little older and mastered it. It was fun getting your whole counselor crew well-equipped with machetes, hachets, torch and pitchfork. Then the game becomes Hunt Jason!

Played through Astyanax since I'm looking into Aicom's games. I hate how hard it is to find solid info on old Japanese developers, but the similarities between this and Legendary Axe were too big to be just coincidence.

The box art is actually more accurate than the in-game cutscenes. It is definitely an annoyance to lose the sword and then have to tough it out with the other weapons. I was playing this weekend and didn't have the patience to continue after some cheap deaths and going back down to the axe. Killing basic enemies becomes a slog.

On the bright side I finally beat Batman. I got to the Joker years ago but my NES got blinking reset and I never quite worked my way back to the end.

Laws00

Got Abadox last week

I'm looking at getting Zanac.

Didn't know Compile developed that game. My how they've changed over the years lol

Looking at it. Wow

Musha, Puyo puyo, blazing lazers just to name a few

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm getting ~1994 vibes from that haul. Not just because the games are from up until then, but I remember when video stores were clearing out their NES games in that era.

Congrats.

cantona222

He went to the yard sale because they advertised it as having video games. I've always asked my family members to let me know if they ever find any when they're looking. He didn't know in advance that they were selling that much or that it was prior rental stock until he got there. He called and woke me up and said to come as fast as I could because there were crates and crates and they were selling quickly. That's why I missed their opening.

Hopefully whoever bought the first few patches are from NewGAF and will share their stories here soon :p

Got Abadox last week

Didn't know Compile developed that game. My how they've changed over the years lol

Looking at it. Wow

I like Zanac a lot. I really want to try the PS1 reboot but it's a bit pricey. Might settle for PSN, haha.

sörine

Banned
Got Abadox last week

Looking at it. Wow

Compile really was amazing on basically every system they touched (MSX, NES, SMS, PCE, MD, GG, SNES, etc). Outside the name and the company's founder Compile Heart has pretty much nothing in common with them. I think they did buy Compile's old non-Puyo IPs from D4 Enterprise though.

Mega

Banned
I'm getting ~1994 vibes from that haul. Not just because the games are from up until then, but I remember when video stores were clearing out their NES games in that era.

Congrats.

Yeah, this takes me back. I had almost no Nintendo games in the early 1990s until around 1993-1995 when rental places were clearing stock, either to make space for newer games or because they were going out of business from getting their asses kicked by Blockbuster.

I picked up Zanac, my first new game in like over a year, maybe two years. Stingy parents. I got a ton of mileage out of that. The evolving stage mechanic was really something. Every playthrough was different from the last.

I think World Cup Soccer from the soon closing video store was my next game. Two games in less than a year... felt like I was swimming in new stuff to play. One of my controllers' D-pad's directions got screwed up from that game and my thumb painfully turned purple from having to press so hard. I couldn't stop playing! The super shots were like DBZ before I even saw DBZ.

click

My reaction to that mother haul post. Holy F U C K.

Laws00

I like Zanac a lot. I really want to try the PS1 reboot but it's a bit pricey. Might settle for PSN, haha.

I just bought the Nes version. And then downloaded the ps1 game come to find out the original is on there with Disk version, rom version, and special version.

i think im still going to nes cart for the hell of it.

i mean i spend like 10 bucks once a week on food so it evens it out i guess lol

Anth0ny

I had a once in a lifetime today. My brother called me to a yard sale that was selling off the stock of a previous video rental store. It pains me to think of what got sold last night to early buyers and the fact that I was about an hour late to their opening today. They had an absolute ton of NES, SNES, N64 and Genesis games 4/$1....that's right 25 cents each. Even with my late arrival, I did manage to find some gems. I finally got copies of Duck Tales 2, Chip 'n Dale 2, and Metal Storm for a quarter each. I was also happy to finally get River City Ransom, Journey to Sillius, some Mega Man, etc. So hyped, I'll be spending months cleaning carts. Anyone got any other Mega Man carts they'd trade for 2 or 3? I don't have any of the others. :)

Most of the SNES was cleaned out, but a lot of the NES was still there. I don't know as much about NES games though, so I'm sure I left a lot of good stuff behind.

I'm a image newb...how do I resize these so they're not so big? Any easy way?

this... I...

jEikhbI.gif

Timu

I had a once in a lifetime today. My brother called me to a yard sale that was selling off the stock of a previous video rental store. It pains me to think of what got sold last night to early buyers and the fact that I was about an hour late to their opening today. They had an absolute ton of NES, SNES, N64 and Genesis games 4/$1....that's right 25 cents each. Even with my late arrival, I did manage to find some gems. I finally got copies of Duck Tales 2, Chip 'n Dale 2, and Metal Storm for a quarter each. I was also happy to finally get River City Ransom, Journey to Sillius, some Mega Man, etc. So hyped, I'll be spending months cleaning carts. Anyone got any other Mega Man carts they'd trade for 2 or 3? I don't have any of the others. :)

Most of the SNES was cleaned out, but a lot of the NES was still there. I don't know as much about NES games though, so I'm sure I left a lot of good stuff behind.

I'm a image newb...how do I resize these so they're not so big? Any easy way?
How the hell did I miss this???

mRoZr5p.gif

Awesome haul, mind you, I'm just jealous of just how lucky you were there. (Wish I ever got such good luck...)

NDPsycho

Been trying to clean 10 carts a day and trying them out. I really like Fire 'n Ice. Simple premise and I only played it a short time, but it was a lot of fun and the puzzles started to get more complex. Way more enjoyable than I was expecting. Also had some fun with Wacky Races, though I was hoping to get to some actual racing in the game. Didn't care much for Defenders of Dynatron city...the music was very grating. I forgot how brutal 8 bit gaming can be...

catabarez

My NESRGB toploader just came in and it looks great running through the Framemeister. The input lag is honestly not that bad and I can play through platformers just fine.

NDPsycho

I was having fun playing twin cobra last night and wishing I had a stick for it. It made me curious. What's the best shooters for the nes?

My NESRGB toploader just came in and it looks great running through the Framemeister. The input lag is honestly not that bad and I can play through platformers just fine.

Cool. I'm getting closer myself. Are you on a CRT or modern TV?

I was having fun playing twin cobra last night and wishing I had a stick for it. It made me curious. What's the best shooters for the nes?

Here's a really old thread I have bookmarked about that topic, because I was curious about this, too. I'm interested in both the NES and Famicom shmups library, however, because I have it in my head that I'd like to get all of them in FC form. Which brings up a question - anyone know if there are some (good) shmups that were only released in the US and not in Japan?

D.Lo

That's really cool. You mention that the one you're missing is expensive. How much does it normally go for?
Exciting Boxing? The cheapest around right now is ~$600.

It's likely genuinely rare and the novelty aspect of an inflatable controller means collectors of weird Nintendo stuff are in on the market too.

Mega

Banned

From what I played:
I really like Zanac, 1943 and Abadox. It's been ages but I remember liking Legendary Wings as a kid.

Jackal is awesome too. It's a shooter with jeeps instead of flying vehicles and deserves a place here.

Sky Shark was okay but doesn't compare to 1943 and doesn't have an ending. I found Xevious was boring and basic.

NDPsycho

Cool. I'm getting closer myself. Are you on a CRT or modern TV?

Here's a really old thread I have bookmarked about that topic, because I was curious about this, too. I'm interested in both the NES and Famicom shmups library, however, because I have it in my head that I'd like to get all of them in FC form. Which brings up a question - anyone know if there are some (good) shmups that were only released in the US and not in Japan?

Thanks, very cool thread. Looks like I only have the one compile shooter. Didn't get a chance to clean and play it tonight, though I did try out fantasy zone. Not the best version, but it's still fun to play.

NDPsycho

Exciting Boxing? The cheapest around right now is ~$600.

It's likely genuinely rare and the novelty aspect of an inflatable controller means collectors of weird Nintendo stuff are in on the market too.

That is a bit high...I can see how that would be tough. If I was that close to it though, I'd wait have to use a bonus, tax return or save up to just finish it off :)

NDPsycho

From what I played:
I really like Zanac, 1943 and Abadox. It's been ages but I remember liking Legendary Wings as a kid.

Jackal is awesome too. It's a shooter with jeeps instead of flying vehicles and deserves a place here.

Sky Shark was okay but doesn't compare to 1943 and doesn't have an ending. I found Xevious was boring and basic.

Thanks for the suggestions. I know I got a few of those to try out. Jackal sounds right up my alley, I might have to look for one.

D.Lo

For shooters I stand by Gradius II as the best all round on the system.

Crisis Force is also very cool, mostly for the graphics and music.

That is a bit high...I can see how that would be tough. If I was that close to it though, I'd wait have to use a bonus, tax return or save up to just finish it off :)
That would be quite a bit more than I paid for everything else there put together though.

Mega

Banned
I finished Kirby's Adventure last night and enjoyed it. The game did not overstay its welcome unlike 3DS' Kirby Triple Deluxe. The latter has too many stages that feel long and easy to the point of boredom.

catabarez

Nope, so don't try it, or you could fry your system. The NES power adapter is a step-down AC adapter, while the Famicom is DC.

Are there any decent power supplies that I can use? The one I have causes a buzz in the audio.

I also have the original power supply, would it be possible to use that?

Top Bottom