• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

MLIG has a nice, short video about the 8Bitdo wireless NES receiver. I think this is a great idea but I just can't do an NES controller with four diamond buttons. Need the real thing. I also sit pretty close to my setup. However, I would really consider getting a SNES wireless receiver as those controller look to be near exact replicas and have gotten rave reviews here on GAF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8QQApEHpOg

I own one of these, and I LOVE it. I don't have any of the 8Bitdo Bluetooth controllers, but it's also compatible with Wii Remotes (but not any of their extensions like the Nunchuck or Classic Controller), Wii U Pro controllers, and DualShock 3 or 4s.

I use a Wii Remote (total cognitive dissonance to be playing an NES game with a Wii Remote and have it not be through the Virtual Console), or much more frequently, I use my DS4 (the Sony controller options allow you to play NES games with the Square and X buttons, while the Wii U Pro controller instead uses the B and A buttons as labeled), and it feels GLORIOUS to be on real NES hardware, and -- so to speak -- run with "Y" and jump with "B." I've noticed zero lag, just once you figure out how to pair everything, it's seamless, the perfect option for playing on a real NES with wireless controllers.

AmyS

EGM issue #1 - May/June 1989.

Xl1XEps.jpg

Edit: Holy shit ^ Jackal on NES looked amazing for the time.

alf717

Buddy and I played Base Wars tonight. I remember seeing images for it, but playing the game was a lot of fun. It is a baseball game, but there is a twist where if the runner is met with the defense, instead of tagging the player for the out, a one-on-one battle ensures and you fight to take all of your opponent's health. The health can regen, so there can be some strategy included. Bottom line - awesome game!

basewars01.jpg

Incredible game indeed. My brother and my neighborhood buddy would play this a lot. Beating the snot out of each other for a base was the best part of the game. =D

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Could somebody explain what the option on that HDMI kit for "pre assemble interposers" means? I have an AV Famicom if it makes a difference.

I own one of these, and I LOVE it. I don't have any of the 8Bitdo Bluetooth controllers, but it's also compatible with Wii Remotes (but not any of their extensions like the Nunchuck or Classic Controller), Wii U Pro controllers, and DualShock 3 or 4s.

I use a Wii Remote (total cognitive dissonance to be playing an NES game with a Wii Remote and have it not be through the Virtual Console), or much more frequently, I use my DS4 (the Sony controller options allow you to play NES games with the Square and X buttons, while the Wii U Pro controller instead uses the B and A buttons as labeled), and it feels GLORIOUS to be on real NES hardware, and -- so to speak -- run with "Y" and jump with "B." I've noticed zero lag, just once you figure out how to pair everything, it's seamless, the perfect option for playing on a real NES with wireless controllers.

Cool thanks for the impressions

-KRS-

I need help. I want to collect NTSC NES games (Im from Sweden). What are my options? Ebay? Any forum for buy/sell games?

As a fellow swede collecting NTSC-only these days, ebay is where I get most games. But the shipping from the US makes it not worth it a lot of the time. That's why I also get a lot of Famicom games, since shipping from Japan is a lot cheaper usually. If you want US games you'll have to wait for an auction with reasonable shipping. I've bought a lot of games BIN from sellers like Lukiegames and JJ Games, even though their prices might not be the best, simply because they have reasonable shipping and the conversion rate from SEK to $ makes it still be cheaper than getting the PAL version in Sweden a lot of times. They don't have pictures of the actual cart you'll receive, but if it says it is good condition it usually is. If it says "acceptable" you might want to skip it.

Other than ebay, there are the various forums like NintendoAge and Famicom World (obviously mostly Japanese stuff), as well as the previously mentioned B/S/T thread here on GAF. You can usually find some deals in these places.

If you're fine with Japanese games I can also recommend a Swedish import seller called Japanspel. He sells on Tradera and also has an online store, and usually have prices comparable to ebay and sometimes cheaper. I've bought a lot of games from him. Another place to get Japanese games is Japan Game Stock . It looks pretty ghetto but I've personally bought games there. Prices vary though.

You can also try searching "NTSC" on Tradera.

Mega

Banned
You sure it's not because of the low image quality that makes it look better than it really is? This happens a lot with games.

At second glance, it might just be the Operation Wolf screenshot, which is definitely from the arcade version. (NES version has completely different and inferior graphics, TG16 has very different UI layout).

StevieWhite

Hello fellow retrogaffers... I did a video retrospective on what is now probably the second most disappointing Mega Man knockoff, The Krion Conquest. It's another halfway decent game that got butchered in localization... Wouldn't recommend it, but it's a neat historical oddity.

https://youtu.be/gJ-7uCdEmtM

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Hello fellow retrogaffers... I did a video retrospective on what is now probably the second most disappointing Mega Man knockoff, The Krion Conquest. It's another halfway decent game that got butchered in localization... Wouldn't recommend it, but it's a neat historical oddity.

Please no youtubing about this game, its already expensive enough!
joking
or am I?

Anyways, got 10 new Nes-games today, all mid-tier but interesting stuff, Abadox, Adventure of Lolo 2, P.O.W., Kid Niki, Yo Noid, 1942, Cobra Triangle, GI Joe, Wrath of the Black Manta and Legendary Wings. Now just passed 200 Nes/Famicom/FDS-games!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just bought the Japanese cart version of Legend of Zelda after I realized there's no way I'm buying a disk system. I notice it has a lot of the US changes, does it have all the US sound differences?

OnPoint

Welcome to the thread! I'll check out your video tonight when I get home. I remember that game being pretty unfair, but it's been a while since I busted it out.

StevieWhite

joking
or am I?

Sorry! Maybe?

Welcome to the thread! I'll check out your video tonight when I get home. I remember that game being pretty unfair, but it's been a while since I busted it out.

Thanks on both counts! Weirdly, this is the retro thread I contribute to the least... albeit for no damn good reason.

OnPoint

Thanks on both counts! Weirdly, this is the retro thread I contribute to the least... albeit for no damn good reason.

Well hopefully we see more of you. The video was great. I always wonder what causes a person to choose between saying NES and N - E - S. I go for the latter myself. I don't know if it's a regional thing either, because (anecdotally) I find a mix of it wherever I go.

Also I didn't realize the price of this one shot up so much. I picked it up for 20 a few years ago. Thank God I did it then, now I can make my money back and pay for the disappointment it caused if I decide to move it haha

D.Lo

Just bought the Japanese cart version of Legend of Zelda after I realized there's no way I'm buying a disk system. I notice it has a lot of the US changes, does it have all the US sound differences?
Yes, it's just the NES sound. No beautiful horn/chime sounds and extra sound effects.

Shoulda got an FDS ;)

Teknoman

joking
or am I?

Anyways, got 10 new Nes-games today, all mid-tier but interesting stuff, Abadox, Adventure of Lolo 2, P.O.W., Kid Niki, Yo Noid, 1942, Cobra Triangle, GI Joe, Wrath of the Black Manta and Legendary Wings. Now just passed 200 Nes/Famicom/FDS-games!

Abadox, G.I.Joe, and Legendary Wings are great.

I need to try Lolo at some point.

PSA for everyone to still jump on Conquest of the Crystal Palace though. One of the guys from Quest (of Ogre Battle fame) first outing.

Need help with Conquest of the Crystal Palace.

I bought items and I have no idea how to use them. I bought pretty much everything from the shop, and I don't know how to use any of them. I tried pasuing the game and pressing buttons, or pressing select. Nothing works.

Teknoman

I bought items and I have no idea how to use them. I bought pretty much everything from the shop, and I don't know how to use any of them. I tried pasuing the game and pressing buttons, or pressing select. Nothing works.

press and hold down, then press A to select rotate through the items. Release A to activate them. I still dont what the "something good" that happens if you have a dog whistle.

Morfeo

Sorry! Maybe?.

Haha, just joking. Welcome!

Well hopefully we see more of you. The video was great. I always wonder what causes a person to choose between saying NES and N - E - S. I go for the latter myself. I don't know if it's a regional thing either, because (anecdotally) I find a mix of it wherever I go.

I do both myself, dont really know why I alternate.

Abadox, G.I.Joe, and Legendary Wings are great.

I need to try Lolo at some point.

PSA for everyone to still jump on Conquest of the Crystal Palace though. One of the guys from Quest (of Ogre Battle fame) first outing.

Good to know at least those are good!

I see Teknoman already explained it to you, but for me I very often couldnt get it to work properly, meaning i ended up using only one item (the dog). I did check out some of the weapons, but only on the second (or was it third) boss was it really useful imo, the big guy that you need to hit in the eye. I would rather conserve my money for extra lifes on the last level (where restarting it all fucking sucks) or sometimes, extra energy.

press and hold down, then press A to select rotate through the items. Release A to activate them. I still dont what the "something good" that happens if you have a dog whistle.

The dog becomes more aggressive according to the manual.

OnPoint

Heh. I was gonna put up the post for the new game today. I still will in a little bit, but people should still talk about Conquest if they're playing :)

The dog does a crazy dash attack. I never used it until the end of the game and was hoping it would help me against the final boss. No dice.

Morfeo

Heh. I was gonna put up the post for the new game today. I still will in a little bit, but people should still talk about Conquest if they're playing :)

The dog does a crazy dash attack. I never used it until the end of the game and was hoping it would help me against the final boss. No dice.

Yeah, Im curious if more people beat the game and what they think. Now its only us two right?

mattiewheels

I'm starting to think that RGB modding would suit me better than trying to get the new HD board installed, is there a good place with an all-inclusive price that I can send my NES off to for that?

BTails

Glad to hear of all the vouching for Bapho, I literally just sent him a PM today. I think I'm done with my Analogue NT, it's starting to look like the incompatability a lot of us have been having with Everdrives is not going to be fixable. It makes me worry about the quality of parts/build quality of the system, frankly.

Glad to hear of all the vouching for Bapho, I literally just sent him a PM today. I think I'm done with my Analogue NT, it's starting to look like the incompatability a lot of us have been having with Everdrives is not going to be fixable. It makes me worry about the quality of parts/build quality of the system, frankly.

Yikes, I just checked the price those things are going for on eBay. I think you're doing the right thing.

Teknoman

So what causes audio buzzing on an NES if you're using a scart cable, but still using RCA for the audio?

EDIT: Anyone have any protips for the boss of this stage:

I cant figure out a pattern, and when I try to brute force it...no dice.

Morfeo

So what causes audio buzzing on an NES if you're using a scart cable, but still using RCA for the audio?

This is the boss with all the small spiders/jumping things right? Stand on the plattform at the right, (not the highest, but second highest), kill the jumping enemies, but just let the spiders crowd the floor. There is a max number on enemies that can be on the screen at once, and its random what new enemy is spawning, so after a while, they will be all spiders, which then can not hurt you since they cant get up to the plattform - and you are free to stand there and kill the main boss.

Btw, what is the game for july? Should update the title!

OnPoint

Sorry i didn't get the July update out yet folks! I'll do that today. Crazy week.

I hung out on the platforms to the left, the lower one, and I also had the dog active.

OnPoint

GrBwstP.png

Sorry for the delay folks! July is off and running strong and June has taken
Conquest of the Crystal Palace with it. We're on to Compile's Zanac for the month
of June!​

76JN8ep.png

Let's get dat Wikipedia description up and moving:
In Zanac, the player controls the spaceship AFX-6502 Zanac as it flies
through various planets, space stations, and outer space and through an armada of
enemies comprising the defenses of the game's main antagonist—the "System." The
player must fight through twelve levels and destroy the System and its defenses. The
objective is to shoot down enemies and projectiles and accumulate points.​

Here's how the voting shook out for anyone interested.

Nothing much to note here.

Header image by D Lo, Monthly image made
by Wanyodos. Guidelines below by RavenholmDX. Selection Process by OnPoint.
Thanks guys!

NES Game Club Guidelines
The nominated title should be readily available via standard
channels such as eBay, for a reasonable price (Maximum $30,
preferably less to give the majority of people a chance to join
in). The title should be a licensed NES/Famicom title (No hacks,
homebrew, multicarts). Only exception is unlicensed, but readily available titles.
The title should be available in English, and if not, it should at the very least be
playable without knowledge of Japanese.

Due to the nature of the Club, excessively long or grind-heavy
games such as RPGs will be excluded.

Use this site to check prices.

Selection Process
Games can be nominated starting one day after the post for a month's pick
goes live (eg: if a game is posted on March 4, nominations open on March 5).

The first five games suggested after nominations open that have not yet been played,
and were not nominated the month before will be added to the list and will be voted on.

So be sure to come in early to nominate your favorites!

Five days after the nominations open, or when we reach five nominations (whichever
comes first) the nominations are tallied in the following manner:
The list of nominees are checked for infringements of the above
guidelines, and any not meeting the requirements are removed.
The voting list will be shuffled for each member voting.
Voting will take place until the 20th day of the month, at which point the poll will
close and the votes will be tallied.
The winner will be announced as soon as the tally is counted so that members
will have time to pick up the winning game.

Previous months:
- June 2016 - Conquest of the Crystal Palace
- May 2016 - Wrecking Crew
- April 2016 - Street Fighter 2010
- March 2016 -The Guardian Legend
- February 2016 - Shatterhand
- January 2016 - Rygar
- December 2015 - Super Mario 3
- November 2015 - Faxanadu
- October 2015 - Monster Party

Oh boy, I can't wait to play the game desinded by Complie <yes, look at the title screen>

EDIT: I just noticed! For those that subscribe to Project EGG, Zanac is actually FREE to play! Check it out!

BTails

Whoo! AV Famicom and NESRGB kit ordered! Bapho has agreed to do the mod for me, can't wait to jump in.

Shame the Analogue NT didn't work out, it was such a pretty piece of hardware...

Top Bottom