• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAN OF STEEL Trailer 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KalBalboa

Banned
Probably has just as much to do with his grossing ability in similar franchises.

He hasn't been a major money maker in a long time (several films at this point), so WB seemed to pick him for Man of Steel for non-fiscal reasons. His last comic book film only grossed $107 million, so seeing Warner Brothers give him Superman, a very expensive franchise that needs a big hit, is surprising.

Instead of actually constructing a dialog, he just posts that when feeling defeated...even when he discussion's intention isn't to do so.

It symbolizes that you really, really want to have the last word in, as indicated by your consistently argumentative and insulting posts. I'd rather just leave it behind, hence the picture.

But hey, keep being the bigger man. You're doing great today. You really like making things personal apparently.

Sanjuro

It will do well. I fully expect it to outgross all the other comic films this year. Superman is still one of those universally recognizable brands, and having Nolan's name attached will draw even more interest.

Superman's stock is still not relatively high at the moment. I think the film will perform decently, but I can see it still failing to reach WB's absurd goals.

KalBalboa

Banned
It will do well. I fully expect it to outgross all the other comic films this year. Superman is still one of those universally recognizable brands, and having Nolan's name attached will draw even more interest.

Iron Man 3 did insanely well, though. I wouldn't bet on it. It could beat Star Trek, at least.

Consider how Batman Begins wasn't a major grosser, but that it saved the franchise. Man of Steel could be that movie and WB might still be happy. I bet it'll do well, but not be #1 this year or anything.

Sanjuro

It symbolizes that you really, really want to have the last word in, as indicated by your consistently argumentative and insulting posts. I'd rather just leave it behind, hence the picture.

But hey, keep being the bigger man. You're doing great today.

Right, like this posting isn't the same thing....

The point was we engaged in a completely different conversation of your choosing, where you just bowed out when you felt you had to put me down. I'm not trying to be the bigger man, I'm just doing what I normally do when enter this thread, talk about Superman. Something you aren't comfortable doing at the moment.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Superman's stock is still not relatively high at the moment. I think the film will perform decently, but I can see it still failing to reach WB's absurd goals.

If its a good movie then people will flock to it. Superman is still way more well known than pretty much any marvel character when they had their first films coming out in recent years.

KalBalboa

Banned
The point was we engaged in a completely different conversation of your choosing, where you just bowed out when you felt you had to put me down. I'm not trying to be the bigger man, I'm just doing what I normally do when enter this thread, talk about Superman. Something you aren't comfortable doing at the moment.

In this very post you directly contradict the notion that you're not trying to be the bigger man.

If you think I have an issue with being comfortable talking about Superman, look at my posts in this thread. Heck, even this page. My recommended comics lists was even quoted by someone a page or two ago. Stop making this personal.

It absolutely did. It was the lowest grossing film in the entire franchise.

It still grossed higher than any Marvel movie bar The Avengers.

Iron Man 3 did insanely well, though. I wouldn't bet on it. It could beat Star Trek, at least.

If we take worldwide box office into account IM3 might come out on top but I still think that Man of Steel will do better domestically. To my knowledge Iron Man never beat the Nolan films before.

Thor is coming at the end of the year but I don't think anyone expects it to compete at this level of cash.

KalBalboa

Banned
If we take worldwide box office into account IM3 might come out on top but I still think that Man of Steel will do better domestically. To my knowledge Iron Man never beat the Nolan films before.

Thor is coming at the end of the year but I don't think anyone expects it to compete at this level of cash.

It's hard to say. Iron Man 3's second week will be telling, with Gatsby and Star Trek hitting soon.

Sanjuro

If its a good movie then people will flock to it. Superman is still way more well known than pretty much any marvel character when they had their first films coming out in recent years.

Sure, that was the point of Batman Begins. It roughly did what Superman Returns did financially, but it set the groundwork for a good franchise and incredible word of mouth to push it along weekly.

The current day box office isn't really set up for films of that nature, and not many people are even aware of this film coming out at the moment. While that will change, it's questionable heading closer to release.

Consider how Batman Begins wasn't a major grosser, but that it saved the franchise. Man of Steel could be that movie and WB might still be happy. I bet it'll do well, but not be #1 this year or anything.

It really depends on how much Warners wants to spend on the marketing, and how well done the marketing is.

Right now, it looks like they're about to blitz. And they're not afraid to show snippets of stuff that might cause some to go "OH NO, TOO MUCH" but cause more to go "He does THAT in the movie?"

it's a calculated risk. Too much, and people will feel like they've seen everything. But the property has been so tired for so long that you have to do SOMETHING to get people in the theater, and the best way to do that is show Superman doing some fantastical stuff.

Sanjuro

In this very post you directly contradict the notion that you're not trying to be the bigger man.

If you think I have an issue with being comfortable talking about Superman, look at my posts in this thread. Heck, even this page. My recommended comics lists was even quoted by someone a page or two ago. Stop making this personal.

It's not really personal at all, especially when I suggested responding to the discussion at hand. If spoken to you prior in a Superman thread and got similar responses out of the gate, seems to be a slight pattern.

It's hard to say. Iron Man 3's second week will be telling, with Gatsby and Star Trek hitting soon.

Again, that's just how the box office is now. Practically every summer film is produced without legs.

KalBalboa

Banned
It really depends on how much Warners wants to spend on the marketing, and how well done the marketing is.

Right now, it looks like they're about to blitz. And they're not afraid to show snippets of stuff that might cause some to go "OH NO, TOO MUCH" but cause more to go "He does THAT in the movie?"

it's a calculated risk. Too much, and people will feel like they've seen anything. But the property has been so tired for so long that you have to do SOMETHING to get people in the theater, and the best way to do that is show Superman doing some fantastical stuff.

Yeah, they really need to lay all their cards on the table for marketing this one. The hardest part of it is that it seems to be pulling directly from some popular comics, so hard core fans can watch an ad and think "Oh, so the ending is clearly from ____."

I don't mind that so much, but it's the line they need to walk.

ReiGun

Lol yeah if it weren't for my pessimistic fear this movie will suck balls, my hype would be at a totally uncontrollable level right now. Which would, ironically, result in the movie being a complete disappointment regardless of how good it was.

You know I read that Chris Hemsworth is getting sick of having to bulk up ridiculously for Thor every time. I wonder how Cavill feels about it.

LosDaddie

Banned
Yeah, it's probably time that I stop lurking this thread. I don't want to spoil anymore of the movie for myself. I might check out the OT a few times when it goes up, but I've already seen too much. Those GIFs are so tight.

MoS is looking awesome. :) I want to walk out of the theater thinking that Supes could've handled the Avengers' villains all by himself.

Thor doesn't fly, he throws his hammer and holds on. The portrayal is deliberately different.

Indeed. Thor's "flying" is depicted exactly as it should be.

regardless, its still looks ridiculousness.

Weren't you shitting on the AVengers in its OT?

Dat flight!

I need to try and keep my hype in check. At this rate, there is no way the movie will live up to my dreams. lol

Maybe. Just maybe. But what if MoS lives up to your hype?

I had what I thought was unachievable hype for Avengers, and I was still blown away. I'm hyped for MoS, but I've deliberately stayed away from much of the media to keep my expectations in check.

so, like, whats that cone of white thats always following him around?

Best post in this thread.

ReiGun

Maybe. Just maybe. But what if MoS lives up to your hype?

I had what I thought was unachievable hype for Avengers, and I was still blown away. I'm hyped for MoS, but I've deliberately stayed away from much of the media to keep my expectations in check.
Well, the first thing I'd do is go see it like 3 more times. lol

DaveH

You know I read that Chris Hemsworth is getting sick of having to bulk up ridiculously for Thor every time. I wonder how Cavill feels about it.
Consider who his significant other is... If a gorgeous MMA / kickboxing champion can't keep you on track, I don't know who can.

I don't get the idea of using "Dark City" as an example of a BAD screenplay.

Also, nobody so far has mentioned that Zack Snyder's very first movie, his first swing at the plate, was a remake of one of THE most beloved horror movies of all time, and probably the best zombie movie ever made.

That was his first shot. He had to try and remake THAT.

And he ended up making a pretty damned good movie. People decried the lack of "subtext" in Snyder's version, as if Romero's original was somehow subtle, or sub-anything regarding the text. And to be fair, there wasn't much in the way of underlying theme in his Dawn of the Dead. It was closer to a remake of ALIENS than it was Dawn of the Dead. So maybe it wasn't a sledgehammer-obvious analogy for consumerism. But it was scary, and it was affecting.

Then he followed that up with making what was, at the time, the prettiest looking "shot almost entirely on greenscreen" movie that was made at that point, AND, on top of that, made a Frank Miller story seem palatable. In fact, it's fair to say that the book he was adapting was IMPROVED upon. And the book he was adapting was considered a very good graphic novel.

Then they gave him WATCHMEN.

So the dude is no stranger to taking on projects that should, on paper, be nigh-fucking-IMPOSSIBLE to pull off, and he's got a pretty decent record of pulling them off to varying degrees. He just needs

a) someone talented guiding the story, and
b) someone tough managing the production.

He appears to have gotten both on Man of Steel, so I'm a little more optimistic than I was when Sucker Punch and That Fucking Owl Movie were announced, where a & b were absent.
I just want to say this post is amazing and im of the same thinking when it comes to snyder. I understand if some people dont like his overuse of slow mo, or that his two original movies sucked, but he has too much bad rep on the internet and he is pretty good when he knows whats he doing and has other talented people behind him. Man of Steel seems to be of those projects he can do great.

Raptor

I just want to say this post is amazing and im of the same thinking when it comes to snyder. I understand if some people dont like his overuse of slow mo, or that his two original movies sucked, but he has too much bad rep on the internet and he is pretty good when he knows whats he doing and has other talented people behind him. Man of Steel seems to be of those projects he can do great.

I Was one of the few that was happy when they announce him for this movie, I love his movies, all of them, well I don't love Sucker Punch, but is a spectacle on its own still.

Sanjuro

I Was one of the few that was happy when they announce him for this movie, I love his movies, all of them, well I don't love Sucker Punch, but is a spectacle on its own still.

Damn, I couldn't remember the name of that film for the life of me. It was easily top three worst experiences in the cinema for myself.

Ashhong

These are all the usually good stories. I've underlined everything I've read and personally recommend.

All-Star Superman
All-Star Superman
All-Star Superman
All-Star Superman
All-Star Superman

...Seriously, it's the very essence of the character and probably one of my all time favorite comics

Cool thanks I'll check those out. The order doesn't matter right? And do you think these comics will be spoilers for the film at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom