• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Sega Spectrum?

shaowebb

Searched and found nothing. Lock/mock if old.

wXZaWtv.jpg

Text translates to "A new world of entertainment."

What is this thing? Arcade board maybe? Digital platform? I'm clueless here...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sega digital distro wouldn't be surprising at all.

shaowebb

or a digital platform for arcades, which is more plausible.

Like the taito boards? That'd actually be pretty good overseas. The service on the taito boards is pretty good from the bits I pick up. It sounds pretty much like you download the title you want onto the board for trial and if it sells keep it after the trial by paying for it or a subscription or something. Means you buy one machine and have access to a huge library on it without changing boards. Course this is all secondhand from me though so its probably got more ins and outs than that on the taito board setup. Seemed like how it was described to me though.

Anyhow if thats what Sega Spectrum is it'd be cool in my eyes.

Also Sega isn't doing badly financially, but its not amazing enough to go for a console bid in my eyes. Keep your expectations in check Gaf. They had some impressive numbers during the THQ bankruptcy, but they still aren't big enough to go back into consoles from what I see.

Iacobellis

Wait, during E3?! OH MY GOD!

Spectrum, meaning the system finally completes the whole universe SEGA had going on.

MarkusRJR

I'd love anything new from Sega in terms of hardware, but it's more probable that's either something really stupid (eg. mobile shit) or a fake to hype people up for nothing.

Quackula

Is SEGA even in a good financial position to make a new console?

Sega's been doing pretty okay for themselves iirc. I dont' see them pulling something as risky as launching a new console right now, especially after some of the past problems they had.

xyzls

I'm hoping this has something to do with why Microsoft have been very silent on their next console.

Xbox Spectrum ;)

qq more

Sega's been doing pretty okay for themselves iirc. I dont' see them pulling something as risky as launching a new console right now, especially after some of the past problems they had.

Well I meant to say good enough. It sounds really risky to get back into the console business.

To be honest, I would totally be down for a new SEGA console. I was both a SEGA and Nintendo kid but... I don't see it happening.

So is this the real name for the Orbi, or does Sega have TWO upcoming consoles they're of course going to announce soon? :p

Seriously though, yeah, probably either an arcade board or digigal platform. Good guesses.

Is SEGA even in a good financial position to make a new console?

Sammy has plenty of money, but it's extremely unlikely that they'd want to spend lots of it on a console...

Kokonoe

Banned
Low chance of it being anything outside of arcade hardware, and if it's anything, it's most likely a gaming tablet as SEGA likes to innovate, or a handheld (very low chance).

GDGF

Soothsayer
Low chance of it being anything outside of arcade hardware, and if it's anything it's most likely a gaming tablet as SEGA likes to innovate, or a handheld (very low chance).

I'd play the hell out of a Sega Android Tablet with a six button controller and access to their console and arcade library.

Gonna take a wild guess and say it's probably new arcade hardware. (Which was the last one they developed? Ring Edge 2, right?)

BLunted

Banned
I just love how everybody jumps to the conclusion that it's a new console. No way in hell it's a new console.

I wouldn't mind eating crow on that though...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Never noticed they changed up their logo color in different regions. Likely means nothing in the content of the image in the OP though.

Top Bottom