• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

The irony here is that TES games suck horribly bad with combat, but feel like awesome terrain exploration simulators (since the dungeons kind of suck too). On the other hand, Dragon's Dogma excels at the combat, but is rather "meh" when it comes to exploring (mostly due to the repetitive nature of the terrain and the backtracking in vanilla), while the dungeons were "okay".

Also, am I just reading some of the posts here too deeply, or are some of you suggesting that new enemies will appear in the vanilla game as well, and not just when you enter the new dungeon?
I thought DD's landmass (and what little dungeons there were) were quite varied and facsinating. The issue was that spawns never change and no treasure outside the Everfall is ever really worth it. DD's exploration would trump Skyrim's if only they gave you an incentive to do so.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a demo of Dark Arisen on PSN? I tried vanilla DD's demo and even though I like the combat, I didn't know what the fuck was going on.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The irony here is that TES games suck horribly bad with combat, but feel like awesome terrain exploration simulators (since the dungeons kind of suck too). On the other hand, Dragon's Dogma excels at the combat, but is rather "meh" when it comes to exploring (mostly due to the repetitive nature of the terrain and the backtracking in vanilla), while the dungeons were "okay".

Also, am I just reading some of the posts here too deeply, or are some of you suggesting that new enemies will appear in the vanilla game as well, and not just when you enter the new dungeon?

According to the change log (there are spoilers in there for all y'all that didn't play through the base game, so heads up on that) there are balance changes to skills and items from the base game and there are new enemies in old areas.

That was the impetus for me in terms of wanting to start a fresh character in Dark Arisen, but I'm not sure I'm going to be patient enough.

Sanctuary

I thought DD's landmass (and what little dungeons there were) were quite varied and facsinating. The issue was that spawns never change and no treasure outside the Everfall is ever really worth it. DD's exploration would trump Skyrim's if only they gave you an incentive to do so.

That just killed any "variance" the actual terrain may have had. I thought the areas were nice enough the first time through, but they just felt like a slog after repeated visits. The static enemies and the inane pawn chatter amplified the problem too.

According to the change log (there are spoilers in there for all y'all that didn't play through the base game, so heads up on that) there are balance changes to skills and items from the base game and there are new enemies in old areas.

That was the impetus for me in terms of wanting to start a fresh character in Dark Arisen, but I'm not sure I'm going to be patient enough.

Hopefully that's true. The only other thing that really needed to be done was for them to change the pawn speech triggers. Watching a short clip of the Japanese version shows that they haven't. :(

That just killed any "variance" the actual terrain may have had. I thought the areas were nice enough the first time through, but they just felt like a slog after repeated visits. The static enemies and the inane pawn chatter amplified the problem too.

Hopefully that's true. The only other thing that really needed to be done was for them to change the pawn speech triggers. Watching a short clip of the Japanese version shows that they haven't. :(

I don't believe there are any new enemies in outdoors areas - only in dungeons.

ixix

Change log says they've spaced out unimportant speech triggers, which to me sounds like they'll start off as the traditional wolves hunt in packs/castle walls or the ruins of such/the duke could stand to commission some new roads/its kind targets women above all else/aughtaughtaughtaughtaught chatterboxes we all know and love and then start shutting up.

Which is terrible. I like my pawns to be attention-seeking kleptomaniacs.

I don't believe there are any new enemies in outdoors areas - only in dungeons.

Yeah, it sounds like cyclopseseses still rule the overworld.

ixix

I'd have called them chazzwazzers myself.

It is hilarious how I'll try to be nice and not take everything I see around me... only for them to open every chest and pillage it anyway.

One of my proudest pawn-raising moments was when my pawn started picking flowers while I was being savaged by a hellhound.

Brought a tear to my eye, it did. They grow up so fast.

Jac_Solar

How come so few games get a re-release with additional content like this? Outside of "GOTY" editions with DLC, that is. Most DLC is relatively insignificant anyhow.

Especially nowadays with digital delivery. Ie; Add a bunch of content to the game, tweak it and work out the known issues with the main game, and resell it, perhaps even at a lower price like in this case.

Dragons Dogma supports this structure well, but it's not right for every game. Still, there are very few titles that get a re-release with a significant content boost in addition to the DLC.

I think some enemy randomization after certain periods of time, but they were fairly rare. Like a cyclops being in the road, would be replaced with harpies.
Bandits would not always appear in an area etc...

The terrain variance also had to be, at the very least, equal to Skyrims & Oblivions.

Pooya

cyclops needs a huge buff, they were just too easy to kill, you should feel threatened by them. killing them made me feel bad instead...

Eusis

How come so few games get a re-release with additional content like this? Outside of "GOTY" editions with DLC, that is. Most DLC is relatively insignificant anyhow.

Especially nowadays with digital delivery. Ie; Add a bunch of content to the game, tweak it and work out the known issues with the main game, and resell it, perhaps even at a lower price like in this case.

Dragons Dogma supports this structure well, but it's not right for every game. Still, there are very few titles that get a re-release with a significant content boost in addition to the DLC.
Because most of them actually design with DLC hooks to just sell the DLC, put in patches to cover other changes, then release the GotY edition with it all preinstalled (ideally.) This would've been DLC too had they actually designed with that possibility in mind.
Is this your home master? oh this looks interesting *breaks every crate in your house*
Not even extending courtesy to their own masters. Makes me wonder how (serious spoilers)
those pawns like Selene do after getting hearts from their Arisen. Once they try to integrate in society do they ransack everyone else's home?

ElfArmy177

CTRL+F PC... 1 result...

IgMyx.gif

Capcom... :(

felt the same way.. I thought it was on its way to PC for some reason, very very dissapointed.

Eusis

If we're lucky they'll eventually announce something. I'm happy to at least get performance improvements if those pan out though.

I remember playing DD last year. The gameplay was to amazing imo, and I was hooked into playing it all month. It kind of reminded me of a cross between Dark Souls (Huge open world) and Monster Hunter (battling huge monsters).

I want to buy this expanded version, but I probably won't at Day 1.

ixix

Anyone rocking warrior. Its needs better skills and the fact it gets out powered by assassin is just plain stupid.

I messed around with it a bit on one of my characters and my first pawn went Fighter -> Warrior -> Ranger and turned out pretty okay on the whole, but Warrior has always felt like an awkward class to me. They only get 3 skills, which makes squeezing in utility skills like Ladder Blade and Battle Cry way harder for them than it is for Fighters, and the AI can't use their charging skills for schmotz so Warrior pawns get like half their skillset taken off the table right off the bat if they want to be effective.

The raw stat growth disparity's not all that bad. Warrior only loses out on 1 point of physical attack per level compared to the Assassin, while gaining nearly double the HP and 1 point better physical defense. Assassin totally pantses Warrior in Stamina gains, though. It's the best growth class for pawns in terms of both HP and physical attack power until level 100, but then the HP growth drops off a cliff for some reason.

Kind of hoping they get some TLC in Dark Arisen.

SJRB

Gold Member
Messed around in the vanilla demo some more, is there even a targeting mechanic?

I kept pressing R3 like a dumbass, haha.

Eusis

Messed around in the vanilla demo some more, is there even a targeting mechanic?

I kept pressing R3 like a dumbass, haha.
Nope. I think they used experience from this to develope DmC's lockon-less combat system actually.

Sanctuary

Which is terrible. I like my pawns to be attention-seeking kleptomaniacs.

Sorry, what? You actually like the horrendous verbal diarrhea that lasts over sixty hours? Can't they still be kleptos with their mouths closed? Or do they scoop up the goods with their flapping beaks?

Anyone rocking warrior. Its needs better skills and the fact it gets out powered by assassin is just plain stupid.

I doubt this game did anything for the heirarchy, but maybe it did. To me it just seemed like it was: Assassin > Sorcerer > Magick Knight > Mystic Archer > Ranger > Strider > Fighter > Mage > Warrior in terms of player usefulness (Fighter/Mage for pawns). I hated the fact that the Warrior felt so much like a Monster Hunter Great Sword or Demon's Souls Dragonbone Smasher character in a game that's much too fast for it.

Dawg

Anyone by any chance know if any stores in Belgium are breaking the street date?

Belgian here and it's not available yet it seems... I know some stores break street dates here with big titles like Uncharted, God Of War etc, but this is probably a smaller title and it probably ain't worth it.

Sanctuary

Capcom should take a serious look at what Bioware has done if they want to implement party chatter in future games. Hell, even "I was once an adventurer like you..." would be a vast improvement.

DrFurbs

Guys I'm planning on defs getting DA... what's a good starting class that will carry Mr thru the game. I like mid range / magic stuff.

Watevaman

Just bought this from the UK for ~25 USD. Guess it will be closer to the first week of May when I get it but heck, for $15 off the launch price I couldn't resist. Loved the adventure demo of DD but never got around to buying the full game.

Considering the difference in Stat growth between the classes, should I plan ahead of time which classes to use during the 3 tiers of growth to be able to take on every and any monster in the game, or does a rotation spread out give me enough of every stat for the end-game?
Some classes don't give (much) points in some areas at certain times so I'm worried to spend too much time on those at the wrong moment and have a deficiency somewhere.

At which point in the story/game can someone get to level 100? (beginning of the 3rd growth tier)

Can you still gain Discipline while being a class, and use that to upgrade some other class, or is it bound the one you're currently using?

Kyoufu

Considering the difference in Stat growth between the classes, should I plan ahead of time which classes to use during the 3 tiers of growth to be able to take on every and any monster in the game, or does a rotation spread out give me enough of every stat for the end-game?
Some classes don't give (much) points in some areas at certain times so I'm worried to spend too much time on those at the wrong moment and have a deficiency somewhere.

At which point in the story/game can someone get to level 100? (beginning of the 3rd growth tier)

Can you still gain Discipline while being a class, and use that to upgrade some other class, or is it bound the one you're currently using?

It's best to kill enemies that give less than 100 EXP so you gain 37% or so of it in Discipline Points (which ranks up your vocation). Anything over 100 EXP gives only 17% or so of DP.

You'll also want to plan ahead for stat growth. I'm playing as magic based classes so I play as Sorcerer to level 100. You will finish the story quests much earlier than that level, but there is a boss battle you can repeat for money and high EXP when you reach post-game.

There's also a very efficient method to farm DP post-game.

Saying all that, there's no need to worry about stat growth. The game becomes easy when you reach high levels. Min/Max-ing is rather unnecessary IMO.

Top Bottom