• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ to Receive $6.55 Million in Sale of IP to Nordic Games, Gearbox, and 505

duckroll

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/thq-inc-receive-6-55-215600268.html

The $6.55 million sale of the IP assets breaks down as follows:
  • $4.9 million from Nordic Games Licensing AB, a Swedish-based video games publisher, for Darksiders, Red Faction, MX vs ATV, Other Owned Software (includes Destroy all Humans!, Summoner and more), and Other Licensed Software (includes Marvel Super Hero Squad, Supreme Commander and more);
  • $1.35 million from Gearbox Software, LLC, a Plano, Tex.-based developer of interactive entertainment, for Homeworld; and
  • $0.3 million from 505 Games Srl, an Italian video game publisher, for Drawn to Life and Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter.

Edit:

Here are the correct answers to the THQ legacy IP buyers prediction game in the last thread.

Lot 1 (Red Faction): Nordic Games
Lot 2 (Homeworld): Gearbox Software
Lot 3 (MX): Nordic Games
Lot 4 (Darksiders): Nordic Games
Lot 5 (Owned Software/Original IPs): Nordic Games (Everything else) + 505 Games (Drawn to Life games)
Lot 6 (Licensed Software): Nordic Games

Laughing/sad gif. Where is it? WHERE IS IT?!

Edit:

laugh6fzww.gif

Kade

Man, we could have successfully Kickstarted a campaign to get Homeworld easily. At least that way Gearbox wouldn't have gotten it.

farisr

Goodbye Darksiders.

hoping for Nordic games and its ip ownerships to be bought out by MS or Sony.

but not gonna happen I know.

Looks like it was mostly one publisher with lots of cash and wanted all the IPs they could muster. 505 offered to buy an IP from them for a little more than it was originally worth (thus buying it from Nordic probably), and Gearbox got whatever remained.

THQ going out the most THQ-esque way I guess :/

Jawmuncher

This is the most depressing buyout I've ever witnessed. Hope you guys weren't expecting the franchises to live on. Since I've given up all hope.

EDIT
Also drawn to life for .3 million?
Lol

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
4.9 million from Nordic Games Licensing AB, a Swedish-based video games publisher, for Darksiders, Red Faction, MX vs ATV, Other Owned Software (includes Destroy all Humans!, Summoner and more), and Other Licensed Software (includes Marvel Super Hero Squad, Supreme Commander and more);

Why. Why. WHY.

Fuck. Well, the IP's dead, that's for sure.

Slermy

I can't believe Nordic Games won multiple lots. Would be funny if they big on multiple hoping to win just one of them.

NMFried

Can Nordic be trusted with all of these franchises? Will Volition even work on another Red Faction?

Where was Retro at with Darksiders? Could have been a mature IP without having to compromise Zelda too much.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is the most depressing buyout I've ever witnessed. Hope you guys weren't expecting the franchises to live on. Since I've given up all hope.

Also drawn to life for 3 million?
Can't believe that was so sought after.

.3 million. Not 3 million.

Who the heck is Nordic Games?

JoWooD Entertainment AG was an Austrian computer game publisher of video games, founded in 1995 by Andreas Tobler. In 2011 the company went into administration and was purchased by Nordic Games Holding. The JoWooD Entertainment brand is currently being used as a publishing label for Nordic Games GmbH, a wholly owned subsidiary of Nordic Games Holding
Their games include the action roleplaying games in the Gothic series, the Spellforce series and the Industry Giant series of games. Other titles include Transport Giant, World War III: Black Gold, The Sting!, Hotel Giant, and other games of the Giants series. They also released Sam & Max and Neighbours from Hell. They also worked on AquaNox: Angel's Tears for the PlayStation 2.

DreamCatcher Interactive Inc. (a.k.a. DreamCatcher Games) was a Toronto, Ontario, Canada-based publisher of video games founded in 1996 by Richard Wah Kan. In 2006 the company became a subsidiary of JoWooD Entertainment. In 2011 the company went into administration along with its parent JoWooD and was purchased by Nordic Games Holding. The DreamCatcher Interactive brand is currently being used as a publishing label for Nordic Games GmbH, a wholly owned subsidiary of Nordic Games Holding. The Adventure Company brand label under DreamCatcher has released many adventure game series' including series' based on Agatha Christie novels. They also recently signed to release a series of titles based on The Hardy Boys.[7] Outside of adventure gaming, DreamCatcher is best known for publishing the first-person shooter Painkiller developed with People Can Fly. Painkiller became a commercial success and was signed with the CPL World Tour 2005.[8] Dreamcatcher would also create another label, Silverline Software, around 2004 for the distribution of some non-core games and the publishing of utility software. Silverline Software would release the "Time to Ride" series of girl’s horse games starting in 2004, which would later be acquired by Ubisoft.

Nordic Games owns JoWooD, Dreamcatcher, and The Adventure Company.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Look at those prices. It seems to indicate no major publisher was interested in any of them at all. Lol.

They probably regarded the THQ properties here as failed IPS in the eyes of the major publishers. Also, they picked the prime cuts at the first auction.

Blueblur1

So does this pay off the debt that THQ had or were they better off selling to that company Jason Rubin wanted to sell to?

duckroll

Also drawn to life for 3 million?
Can't believe that was so sought after.

.3 million. Not 3 million. Lol.

Top Bottom