• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My mind is blown. HOOK related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hook was fuckin garbage, then, and still now. It doesn't even hold a candle to JP. The holy trinity back then was JP, The Sandlot, and Home Alone. I would also accept Mrs. Doubtfire as an answer. Jumanji is a bit of a stretch. Please no one mention Goonies..ugh..

Lets not say thing we don't mean.

The Goonies is forever.

I have to question how old some of you are, to be running down Hook as a bad film? I was six when it came out and I fucking loved it! Easily would put it up there with Jurassic Park in terms of greatness.

"BAD FORM!"

Tobor

I was hoping this thread would be about Sculli coming to his senses and realizing Hook is a bad movie.

It's so sad that this is the first movie he remembers seeing in the theater. A tragedy.

The first film I remember seeing was Empire Strikes Back, I was also 4. The first Spielberg movie I saw in the theater was ET at age 6. Now that's a great first Spielberg movie!

Good times. Now watch it again.

I have done and can clearly see the films flaws, but I can also remember WHY I loved it as a child in the first place - those things haven't changed, even though my tastes and appreciation of film has.

'Blinded by nostalgia' is such a ridiculous phrase. I don't think I've ever gone back and watched a film I used to love, only to declare it as irredeemable trash and question why I even liked it in the first place upon repeat viewings.

daviyoung

Banned
I have done and can clearly see the films flaws, but I can also remember WHY I loved it as a child in the first place - those things haven't changed, even though my tastes and appreciation of film has.

That's the same with me and Cool Runnings, but ain't no way I'm going to put it there with Jurassic Park. That's just silly.

Hook was fuckin garbage, then, and still now. It doesn't even hold a candle to JP. The holy trinity back then was JP, The Sandlot, and Home Alone. I would also accept Mrs. Doubtfire as an answer. Jumanji is a bit of a stretch. Please no one mention Goonies..ugh..

Wow...I agree with every single word in this post. I thought I was alone with these opinions.

When I was a kid watching this film, it put a real fear in me of growing up. Now I read some of these posts above me and know why.

Addi

Screw the haters! I didn't know people disliked Hook before I got internet... Poor Rufio :( Also, that fat kid curling up in a ball made me laugh so hard!

EDIT:
When I was a kid watching this film, it put a real fear in me of growing up. Now I read some of these posts above me and know why.

Damn

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Thought this thread was going to be about Glenn Close or the George Lucas/Carrie Fischer came where they are kissing on the bridge.

Certainly not better than Jurassic Park, but still one awesome movie. Robin Williams was good, but Dustin Hoffman and Bob Hoskins were amazing.

I loved Hook, and my kids love it now. That's good enough for me.

And seriously? Someone talked shit about The Goonies in this thread? SMH.

strafer

During an interview with Entertainment Weekly magazine, Spielberg says: "There are parts of Hook I love. I'm really proud of my work right up through Peter being hauled off in the parachute out the window, heading for Neverland. I'm a little less proud of the Neverland sequences, because I'm uncomfortable with that highly stylized world that today, of course, I would probably have done with live-action character work inside a completely digital set. But we didn't have the technology to do it then, and my imagination only went as far as building physical sets and trying to paint trees blue and red."

There you have it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To this day the movie has a large number of amazing quotes to me and memorable dialog.

Hook: Peter Pan, prepare to meet thy doom.
Peter: Dark and sinister man, have at thee.

Peter: I remember you being a lot bigger.
Hook: To a ten-year old I'm huge.

RyanDG

I'm skeptical that an hour of green screen would have made this movie better. Maybe the EW fanbase eat that up?

Hollywood's fascination with green screens and digital effects is really troublesome. Some of the best creative works in Hollywood, in terms of sci fi and fantasy, were born from the limitations that art directors, set creators, and designers had to work with when creating their pieces.

Kingbrave

Smee: I've just had an apostrophe.
Captain Hook: I think you mean an epiphany.
Smee: Lightning... just struck my brain.
Captain Hook: Well, that must hurt.

How can anyone hate a movie with such great quotable material?

Hook is a great movie. Spielberg says he doesn't like it, but he also says he doesn't like Temple of Doom which is another great movie. Maybe the avalanche of negative reviews for both clouded his mind over the years and caused him to rethink them?

Hook is a great movie. Spielberg says he doesn't like it, but he also says he doesn't like Temple of Doom which is another great movie. Maybe the avalanche of negative reviews for both clouded his mind over the years and caused him to rethink them?

the ravages of old age have turned the minds of lucas and spielberg to mush.

jbueno

Haven´t watched this premiered in cinemas when I was a wee lad, I remember loving it so I should see it again sometime.

Mr_Moogle

Jurassic Park was great but it didn't have Rufio.

lwSXB8L.gif

ToxicAdam

I understand how someone could get confused and think Hook wasa good movie. Perhaps they were born in the mountains and had very little visual stimuli growing up. Then children services rescues them and their new foster parents take them to their first movie, which is Hook. I could then understand how that would have a lasting positive impression on them but for the others of average intellect and discerning taste, it's hard to imagine.

It's not even the second best movie about Peter Pan.

Manu

This was on Fox about a week ago. It was awful.

I had good memories of it, but man, it aged like shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom