• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light Xbox 360 Impressions

Making this thread for MauroNL who got the game early but isn't allowed to create threads.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=56447564

Sorry to keep you waiting guys, didn't think anyone would make a thread this fast. I'll share as much details as possible without spoiling anything.

First up, the UI has been greatly improved. Metro 2033 was pretty sluggish in the general menu and the HUD was quite generic looking. Last Light greatly improves this with a much faster menu system and a much better UI. The inventory system has a much easier access, simply pressing LB brings up the inventory screen (without pausing the game so watch out there) and you can select your gear/weapons by pressing the trigger/bumpers buttons or the A/B/Y/X keys.

I won't spoil the story to much so I'll just focus on the Xbox 360 build. The game runs pretty good actually. Load times are a lot faster compared to Metro 2033, and the framerate is solid all round. In the first hour or so I played thus far its been a solid 30 FPS as far as my eyes can tell. Even in battle or when on the surface in pretty big area there are no dips in frame rate.

Lighting is a lot better compared to the first game. There are some cool light effects when looking around and light bounces and reflects on most areas. The 360 build does have all the cool wiping off your mask when it gets wet and you get tiny spiders and flies on your mask/screen when you come in contact with any. Was afraid they left that out in the 360 build but it has all the cool effects you see on PC.

It doesn't look as crisp as the trailers witch are obviously PC build, and there are some jaggies here and there but nothing mayor. It's comparable to Metro 2033 in that area. So overall I can say the 360 build looks an plays really solid for the first hours I've played the game. I'm uploading some off screen photos in a sec (sorry guys don't have any capture stuff) to give you some proof.

Any questions you have I'll answer.

IMAG0625_1.jpg
IMAG0626_1.jpg
IMAG0628_1.jpg
IMAG0629_1.jpg

Deadbeat

Banned
Im pretty sure if he PMed an admin they would have branched off his post anyways. They have done it before.

Goldmund

Pretty damning to rather just say nothing. Worth more than a thousand words. Thanks for the impression, dear friend. I guess I won't get this game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hate links to mobile-GAF almost as much as having to wait more than two weeks for Last Light.

Yeah, I'd like for Gromph/EviLore to set up a header redirect so desktop browsers are automatically redirected to the desktop site upon opening MobileGAF links.

MauroNL

Sorry to keep you waiting guys, didn't think anyone would make a thread this fast. I'll share as much details as possible without spoiling anything.

First up, the UI has been greatly improved. Metro 2033 was pretty sluggish in the general menu and the HUD was quite generic looking. Last Light greatly improves this with a much faster menu system and a much better UI. The inventory system has a much easier access, simply pressing LB brings up the inventory screen (without pausing the game so watch out there) and you can select your gear/weapons by pressing the trigger/bumpers buttons or the A/B/Y/X keys.

I won't spoil the story to much so I'll just focus on the Xbox 360 build. The game runs pretty good actually. Load times are a lot faster compared to Metro 2033, and the framerate is solid all round. In the first hour or so I played thus far its been a solid 30 FPS as far as my eyes can tell. Even in battle or when on the surface in pretty big area there are no dips in frame rate.

Lighting is a lot better compared to the first game. There are some cool light effects when looking around and light bounces and reflects on most areas. The 360 build does have all the cool wiping off your mask when it gets wet and you get tiny spiders and flies on your mask/screen when you come in contact with any. Was afraid they left that out in the 360 build but it has all the cool effects you see on PC.

It doesn't look as crisp as the trailers witch are obviously PC build, and there are some jaggies here and there but nothing mayor. It's comparable to Metro 2033 in that area. So overall I can say the 360 build looks an plays really solid for the first hours I've played the game. I'm uploading some off screen photos in a sec (sorry guys don't have any capture stuff) to give you some proof.

Two weeks? Great timing, gives me 3 days to finish it before I head out of town( and away from my darling PC) for three weeks.

DukeBobby

How are the shooting mechanics? Are they better than they were in Metro 2033?

Karak

Man the store date breaks this last couple months have been insane. Huge street date breaks. I can't remember the last time this kind of stuff continued to happen at this rate.

Feindflug

Finally some impressions for the console versions...first one on the 360 was a great port and this one sounds equally impressive which is great news! can't wait to play this game.

Game looks really good btw. o_O

Thanks for the impressions and pics. :)

Thorgal

are all the physics effects still in the game?

specifically stuff like this .

metrolastlightphysx_by_teddyterror-d5z1byf.gif

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

In addition to this how is the enemy AI, enemy hit reaction whilst you shoot them etc. I enjoyed the combat in the first Metro but the thing that stood out was there didn't seem to be much enemy reaction to being shot.

MauroNL

Why is your wall Orange? That's my question.
It's red. I like it cause it's a dark red so it's easier on the eyes when playing games I've noticed.
Shooting mechanics are same-ish I guess. I do notice the response time is slightly better. Also you don't feel like a slugish 100 kg guy anymore; you can walk around and sprint a lot easier now.
are all the physics effects still in the game?
Can't really tell yet as I've only played a fraction yet, so I'll have to play through to that part to really tell.

I also found out that you can wipe your mask anytime you want when on the surface so that's awesome, so its not just context sensitive or triggered every X amount of time ( don't know if this was known already )

AkuMifune

Banned
Thanks for the impressions! This has been #1 on my Steam wishlist since it was listed.

Russian language option? Strong narrative? Scary at all?

EagleEyes

Is there any screen tearing? Thats the one thing I hate the most, incessant tearing everywhere.

Qassim

The developers said that the "advanced PhysX features will only be available on PC", and I imagine they're using PhysX for that cloth stuff.

DukeBobby

Shooting mechanics are same-ish I guess. I do notice the response time is slightly better. Also you don't feel like a slugish 100 kg guy anymore; you can walk around and sprint a lot easier now.

Thank you. Well, at least there's some improvement.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Forgot that it's out soon. Looking forward to it alot. Be picking up the PC version.

MauroNL

Thanks for the impressions! This has been #1 on my Steam wishlist since it was listed.

Russian language option? Strong narrative? Scary at all?
Russian language is in there, including French German English etc cause it's the PAL version. Also has subtitles in almost every language now (like Dutch), not only English.
Is there any screen tearing? Thats the one thing I hate the most, incessant tearing everywhere.
Have not noticed any yet. Don't really have the eye for it to so maybe we have a different view. It's not as apparent as say Far Cry 3 for example.
In addition to this how is the enemy AI, enemy hit reaction whilst you shoot them etc. I enjoyed the combat in the first Metro but the thing that stood out was there didn't seem to be much enemy reaction to being shot.
Hit detection is much much better. Forgot to mention this, sorry. I also had the impression sometimes in the first game that bullets didn't reach the target or they weren't affected at all. Totally different in Last Light fortunately. Enemies react or get hit back when shot and they don't move in a straight line towards you; they'll try to jump away from your fire or hide in cover. Much better I'd say. Playing on Normal though.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the impressions. Looks like it's coming along very nicely.

Top Bottom