• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Eternals - Eternal Darkness Spiritual Sequel [Crowdfunding, Dyack, ???]

Status
Not open for further replies.
/runs to local game store and throws money at cashier/
ohmygod yes yes yes
So is this basically using footage/assets from the "failed prototype"? I hope they include the Sanity Meter.
Although after that long post about SK/Dyack, not sure if I wanna exactly contribute.

They probably can't, as that is a feature patented by Nintendo.
But let's see how far they can go.

I honestly think that without Nintendo this game won't have a chance of being released or even be good enough so that people care.
Though I still wish it's the exact opposite of what I think.

Persona7

Banned
How big of a role did Nintendo dev teams have while ED was being developed? People in this thread make it sound like Nintendo developed a large portion of the game and Silicon Knights had zero creative control.

Shiggy

Yeah, that's probably true.

Also, I did a little digging on Twitter and a former SK-er who worked on ED2 says the trailer is using assets from the failed prototype but it's much further along now than when he was canned. How is that possible without funding?

That guy was laid off in November 2011. The prototype continued to be in development until mid 2012 when pretty much everyone else was laid off. Assets, camera shots, and perhaps even this trailer were all from the ED2 pitch.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think the copyright concern skirts a little close when Shadow of the Eternals is replicating Eternal Darkness environments in HD. That's my concern. It's one thing to say you're making a third person horror action game starring several characters panning centuries worth of human history, surrounded by ancient gods that have the power to drive people insane. It's another to be upfront that this is set within the same universe, and go as far to showcase your first episode as having the same environment as an original game set piece.

We'll learn a lot more tomorrow I guess.

If it is true that they're reusing assets from SKs ED2 project (which I guess was funded by Nintendo) that got cancelled, wouldn't that further complicate the situation?

This whole thing is so confusing.

duckroll

If it is true that they're reusing assets from SKs ED2 project (which I guess was funded by Nintendo) that got cancelled, wouldn't that further complicate the situation?

This whole thing is so confusing.

No it wasn't funded by Nintendo. It was just a prototype they were building to try and get Nintendo (or any other publisher?) interested. They were apparently doing it with manpower and resources which should have gone to the X-Men game instead, which is why it kept getting delayed and was crap when released. They basically pulled an Aliens Colonial Marines on Activision. The difference is that while Gearbox got themselves a great selling series out of that, Silicon Knights couldn't even pay their own bills in the end.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
We'll know more details in four hours, but I also am questioning about the environment thing and how Nintendo may respond. The developers said that there would be sanity effects, and the environment out of the teaser does look like an HD version of an Eternal Darkness location, so part of me is wondering if they have something worked out with Nintendo or if they're taking too many liberties.

It could just be an internal demo, but with footage now out to the public it is questionable.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
No it wasn't funded by Nintendo. It was just a prototype they were building to try and get Nintendo (or any other publisher?) interested. They were apparently doing it with manpower and resources which should have gone to the X-Men game instead, which is why it kept getting delayed and was crap when released. They basically pulled an Aliens Colonial Marines on Activision. The difference is that while Gearbox got themselves a great selling series out of that, Silicon Knights couldn't even pay their own bills in the end.

Ah, ok thanks. It will be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out anyway. There's bound to be some drama. And man do I wish someone else were doing the (spiritual or real) successor to E. D. :/

Shiggy

SK only really died when the court ordered them to pay millions of USD which they simply didn't have. But I guess after X-Men Destiny no publisher was willing to work with them again anyway.

Shion

That's exactly what makes this whole thing stink so much. Dyack is using the brand and the fans love for it, not only to promote the project, but to actually fund it. He is using the fanbase to kinda do a project that's not actually his to make. It's defintely going to be interesting to see if Nintendo responds to this in any way. I would be surprised if they don't.
How is this any different from a project like Torment: Tides of Numenera?

Thank god spiritual successors are not illegal to make.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Uff...what a torment for us ED fans!
I hope that at least from this initiative we can get a good game in the mood of ED...

Celine

How big of a role did Nintendo dev teams have while ED was being developed? People in this thread make it sound like Nintendo developed a large portion of the game and Silicon Knights had zero creative control.
It's more than Nintendo ensured the quality.

There is a reason why Next Level Games went from Captain America: Super Soldier to Luigi's Mansion 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom