• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Eternals - Eternal Darkness Spiritual Sequel [Crowdfunding, Dyack, ???]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff9920

As much as I'd like to see another game along the lines of the original Eternal Darkness I won't give them a dime as long as Dyack is involved.

duckroll

I wonder if the footage they have for the trailer is the footage from the prototype which Silicon Knights was making to try and pitch the game to Nintendo while burning development resources Activision was paying for which should have gone to the X-Men game instead.

*cough*

Malvingt2

Wait so, Nintendo renewed ED trademark last December.. So a sign of Nintendo moving with the IP without Dyack & SN? and now Dyack is doing the same with this game?

wrowa

Wait so, Nintendo renewed ED trademark last December.. So a sign of Nintendo moving with the IP without Dyack & SN? and now Dyack is doing the same with this game?

Renewing a trademark does not mean that they are actively doing something with it. You don't just abandon your IPs, even if they're dead.

These guys haven't even shipped a game yet lol

Weren't they doing the Vita port of the MGS HD collection?

jdforge

Banned
I would say this news confirms a sequel is in the works within Nintendo. Dyack would pull a move like this to prove a point.

Ridley327

I would say this news confirms a sequel is in the works within Nintendo. Dyack would pull a move like this to prove a point.

No, I think it just proves that Dyack has no other cards to play and is putting everything on the strength of the following that ED has. The question at this point is just how strong that following is.

No, I think it just proves that Dyack has no other cards to play and is putting everything on the strength of the following that ED has. The question at this point is just how strong that following is.

Indeed. Since there is no question about the complete lack of talent for Dyack and thus the quality of the game in case it's ever finished, the only question that remains is about how many people they can sucker with ED's name.

Ridley327

I wonder if the footage they have for the trailer is the footage from the prototype which Silicon Knights was making to try and pitch the game to Nintendo while burning development resources Activision was paying for which should have gone to the X-Men game instead.

*cough*

That article from Kotaku mentioned that it was just a church, right? They sure do show a lot of that church in the trailer.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Takao

Banned
Weren't they doing the Vita port of the MGS HD collection?

They've worked on multiple released games, and have been the primary developer on one (MGS Pack for PSP). With the Batman game coming out probably this year.

Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate will be their first original release. I know they worked on the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for Vita, and the canceled Maverick Hunter FPS, but you can't really judge their abilities on those projects.

scitek

I'll take it. Hell, I'll take anything at this point.

image.php

Hiltz

Hope Nintendo sues them for similarities (they own the ED IP right?)

We don't know the details about who owns the IP. In an old video interview, Dyack stated it was "a complicated question with a complicated answer," and didn't want to discuss it any further, but my guess is Nintendo might co-own the IP. Dyack did claim that Nintendo was still "a silent partner for Silicon Knights," but this was back in Summer 2008.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/28/dyack-nintendo-a-silent-partner-eternal-darkness-ip-ownershi/

Ridley327

Hope Nintendo sues them for similarities (they own the ED IP right?)

It's not like the original game wasn't picking Lovecraft's bones clean to begin with.

The only legal thing they could go after these guys for would be if they started using the sanity system in the same way that ED did, as Nintendo owns the copyright on that.

scitek

A Google search of Precursor Games brought this up.

Shadow of the Ancients
precursorgames.com/shadowoftheancients/‎
Darkness has returned… When Detective Paul Becker is called to one of the bloodiest gang massacres in Louisiana state history, only two survivors remain from ...

The link's now dead, but the site's legit: http://precursorgames.com/

EDIT: Cached page: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...adowoftheancients/+&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

There's also a Twitter account and Facebook page that are about an hour old.

https://twitter.com/PrecursorGames

https://www.facebook.com/PrecursorGames

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm conflicted. ED was a great game, but SK's later games weren't all that great. Sooo, I dunno. Plus crowd funding is just a risky game to begin with.

The music reminded me of Eternal Darkness very much. In a good way. If they do make a spiritual successor to ED, I'd like to some of the original game's characters return. But if they don't have the license, that may be a problem. Graphically, it's not looking so hot but hey...The original was great, I'll keep an eye on this.

jmizzal

Maybe Nintendo wont publish it but told them if he can get funding and put it on WiiU, they wont have a problem with it.

With Rich being the one talking about IGN coverage on Monday it might be a WiiU game.

Ridley327

The music reminded me of Eternal Darkness very much. In a good way. If they do make a spiritual successor to ED, I'd like to some of the original game's characters return. But if they don't have the license, that may be a problem. Graphically, it's not looking so hot but hey...The original was great, I'll keep an eye on this.

Isn't 90% of the cast in ED totally dead? Hell, it's even implied that Firefighter Guy (whatever the hell his name was) dies shortly after delivering the Tome of Eternal Darkness to Alex.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Dyack's involved?

Precursor Games = Silicon Knights.

I loved loved loved Eternal Darkness, so I cannot wait for this, regardless of his past follies.

I definitely don't hate Dyack as much as the rest of you, so I hope this succeeds (i won't help it though). Loved Eternal Darkness. One of the few games I played through multiple times.

So they've got Dyack (...), but what about STERCHI? Could the promise of another mess of a project be enough to lure him away from MGS?!?

7qtnRuC.jpg

No? He's sane? Darn.

I loved ED so if this is at least half decent, I'll give it a try.

Though I have to say, the footage (while quite pretty) wasn't
creepy at all. The facial animation on the main character
seemed like something from a cutesy American CG cartoon.

Precursor Games = Silicon Knights.

I loved loved loved Eternal Darkness, so I cannot wait for this, regardless of his past follies.
Past is not a big problem, I'm more worried about Nintendo not being involved.

But yeah, I'm a ED fanboy so I'll buy this at a high price, good or not, I feel like I just need to give it a try.

I still want Retro working on ED2 though.

Kifimbo

Then man had 5-6 years to create this game, and he had some taxpayers money to do so. Now that he wasted everything, he'll ask people to give him money. And I'm sure enough people will.

Mifune

Mehmber
Oh man, I'll be rooting for this to succeed. But Denis and SK have burned so many bridges in the industry that I don't see how that's possible.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What kind of fool would donate money to a Denis Dyack production? This guy can't even manage money when there are strings attached and real accountability.

Also, Eternal Darkness sucked ;)

Neiteio

Eternal Darkness deserves better. :-\

Also, I wish Denis spelled his name "Dennis." All I see is "penis." :-\

Coolwhip

Banned
Watched the trailer:

- the character looks pretty lame
- the Inception horns are really not fitting

Other than that, let's see where this goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom