• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's a console with a lot of exclusives that didn't get re-released and were often smaller print runs than it's competitors. Gamecube is inevitably the next console to be hit by high prices. A lot of Japanese games that were release multiplatform often had Gamecube as the lead platform. I've pretty much got all the rare games I want, so personally, I'm pretty relieved it's happening right now and not while I was in a Gamecube buying frenzy. Controllers are also going to be useable with the Wii U.

It's interesting, though, because the high prices thing never really hit the N64. Granted, that's probably because most N64 games were crap, but I guess I expected the high prices thing to be a generation by generation thing.

But yeah, it's clear that the GC is the next on the list of stupidly priced systems. Makes me wish I'd been a little more proactive in buying stuff, and a little less stupid about selling games that I now want to have again.

I wonder if it'll be the PS2, Xbox, or Dreamcast that skyrockets next.

Jamix012

It's interesting, though, because the high prices thing never really hit the N64. Granted, that's probably because most N64 games were crap, but I guess I expected the high prices thing to be a generation by generation thing.

But yeah, it's clear that the GC is the next on the list of stupidly priced systems. Makes me wish I'd been a little more proactive in buying stuff, and a little less stupid about selling games that I now want to have again.

I wonder if it'll be the PS2, Xbox, or Dreamcast that skyrockets next.

Woah now, the N64 is a marvelous console, you take that back.
That having been said, the N64 sold a lot better than the 'cube and a lot of it's stuff hasn't aged as well as the 'cube. Take for example: the controller. The N64's controller was revolutionary at the time, but today? I don't mind it, but I'd be lying if I knew people who wouldn't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole. A lot of Nintendo 64 games were also not the "best ports" at least not in the eyes of some: while I prefer MM64 to Mega Man Legends, most would not agree.

Also few of the best Nintendo 64 games received the remake treatment, and some that didn't were put on virtual consoles. Conker's Bad Fur Day, Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64 and Mario 64 all have different ways to play them that don't involve the N64, and it's likely Majora's Mask will join them.

Not to mention, Cartridges are much easier to take care of and as a result less of them have deteriorated due to bad handling.

Dreamcast and Wii will be next most likely and I think they will be shortly followed by the PSP. That's just my hunch though.

TheMoon

I put in my ToS copy the other day to test if it had progressive scan since I forgot and the box sometimes doesn't say (sadly it doesn't have it) and was surprised how smoothly it ran. Totally didn't remember it being 60fps on GCN.

It's nice to see Tales of Symphonia complete still only goes for about $20. Great value.

The port seemed to decrease prices since it became available on other platforms. It was going for over $35 for a complete copy before it was re-released.

prateeko

Think I got burned on a sealed game on eBay. Anyone have any good ways of spotting fake Y-resealed games? THis one is obvious because there is no Security hole in the bottom (I am in the US), but I was thinking about how I would go about NOT getting scammed in the future...

Danny Dudekisser

Think I got burned on a sealed game on eBay. Anyone have any good ways of spotting fake Y-resealed games? THis one is obvious because there is no Security hole in the bottom (I am in the US), but I was thinking about how I would go about NOT getting scammed in the future...

I am very good at it, but I'd need to see the thing to call it out.

prateeko

I am very good at it, but I'd need to see the thing to call it out.

What do you look for? I'm extremely near sighted so if I take off my glasses I can inspect things up close well. I can tell almost immediately when it comes to GBA, GB, and GBC games but for the Cube most games I wanted I purchased back in the day but i need to rebuy some games that were stolen (and mostly looking to get those sealed, hence the sticky situation).

Are there certain areas you look for that are gave aways to the dirty Y-fold reseal business?

Danny Dudekisser

What do you look for? I'm extremely near sighted so if I take off my glasses I can inspect things up close well. I can tell almost immediately when it comes to GBA, GB, and GBC games but for the Cube most games I wanted I purchased back in the day but i need to rebuy some games that were stolen (and mostly looking to get those sealed, hence the sticky situation).

Are there certain areas you look for that are gave aways to the dirty Y-fold reseal business?

Usually, the giveaway is the thickness of the plastic, or how tight it's wrapped on the case. There should basically be no extra space under the wrap.

Drain You

This is probably going to sound stupid, but was the spice orange cube really only available in Japan? I could have sworn one of my good friends had it?

Hey guys. My Gamecube is now chipped with the Xenochip. I was all excited because the next step was for a custom paint job to make it bright yellow. However, the guy I found on Etsy that does this hasn't returned my e-mails in ages :-/ It's like he's fallen off the face of the planet. He was also going to replace the front controller plate for me, as the one I have is yellowing.

So...I'm hoping someone here may be able to help. Does anyone know of anyone / place that does good spray paint jobs? Preferably in the UK but willing to send overseas for good quality service. The guy I found insisted he does a proper job, a three step paint job as like how car manufacturers do. I thought I'd hit a goldmine with this guy, and now I never hear back.

Also, anywhere I can order replacement GC parts? I'd like to get a front controller port piece and the round black disc that sits on top of the lid, as the one I have is scratch to high heaven and back.

Thanks.

EDIT: if anyone here thinks they can do a good custom colour job, let me know.

Peltz

Opinions on Billy Hatcher?

My local store has it CIB for $20. I've eyed it for a few weeks now but I'm not the biggest post-Nights into Dreams Sonic Team fan. Still, I'm willing to be convinced if people love it.

Mzo

LOL look at this Pokemon Box auction that ended yesterday.

I still have my sealed copy of that same version.

CTCEUyP.gif

It's not even a game! Crazy...

Also, Billy Hatcher is decent fun. It's nothing great, but if you like Sonic Team 3d platformers, it's fine. $20 seems like a lot, though... it looks like it goes for a lot less on ebay.

Danny Dudekisser

Also, Billy Hatcher is decent fun. It's nothing great, but if you like Sonic Team 3d platformers, it's fine. $20 seems like a lot, though... it looks like it goes for a lot less on ebay.

Non-games have a tendency to be pretty pricey down the road. For example, WALTZ and Eyeful Home are two of the most expensive Saturn games (I think they were like $1000+), and they're nothing.

Non-games have a tendency to be pretty pricey down the road. For example, WALTZ and Eyeful Home are two of the most expensive Saturn games (I think they were like $1000+), and they're nothing.

Wasn't there a Saturn game that was made exclusively to be played by contestants on a game show? I remember seeing a youtube video about it a while ago. That's got to be rare as heck.

Slermy

Not only is it not a game, it's uses dwindle as time goes on (and generations advance). It has been superseded by (most recently) Pokémon Bank.

It really only has collector's value unless you are stuck in Gen III of the Pokémon world.

Not only is it not a game, it's uses dwindle as time goes on (and generations advance). It has been superseded by (most recently) Pokémon Bank.

It really only has collector's value unless you are stuck in Gen III of the Pokémon world.

Gen 3? I wonder if the new 3DS remakes out in a couple of months is driving up the price.

Timu

My local store has it CIB for $20. I've eyed it for a few weeks now but I'm not the biggest post-Nights into Dreams Sonic Team fan. Still, I'm willing to be convinced if people love it.
It's a decent game worth trying.

It's a decent game. My only real annoyance with it was the quantity of bottomless pits especially on the later levels that made some of the missions a pain. But nothing that is really new, coming from Sonic Team.

Slermy

Gen 3? I wonder if the new 3DS remakes out in a couple of months is driving up the price.

Maybe, but if you really liked Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, would you really go out of your way to track down copies of the GBA games and this? I'd think if anything it'd just encourage people to pick up a 3DS if they didn't already have one and a copy of X or Y.

Has anyone here ever taken apart a Gamecube? By taken apart I mean remove it from its case. If so, is it relatively easy to do? I'm keen to replace the yellowing controller port piece on the front and also considering getting a friend to do a colour job.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Has anyone here ever taken apart a Gamecube? By taken apart I mean remove it from its case. If so, is it relatively easy to do? I'm keen to replace the yellowing controller port piece on the front and also considering getting a friend to do a colour job.
As long as you have the right bit to get through the 4 outer-most screws, the rest is simple.

If you're just replacing the front controller panel, then you barely need to remove anything at all. Getting all the way to the base to complete a paint job for the entire case might require a complete disassembly, which is easy, but requires going through a lot more screws.

When putting it back together, make sure that the disc lid is open as you slide the top of the case back into place. If you reassemble the case with the lid closed, you may snag the switch that rests under the drive lid and break it.

Peagles

To do a full disassembly is not difficult, but it is time consuming, because it doesn't come out in one piece, it's all screwed in, in multitude of separate layers. But yeh, getting to the controller port piece is pretty easy.

This could be relevant to your needs!

Guys, I did it. Today I plunked down $80 for the Hori GC controller. Fuck me, I'm insane.

That sucks. Sure it's a nice collector piece, but as far as utility, the D-pad and buttons are very stiff. I was disappointed. You're better off with a controller adapter and a proper SNES controller, unless you absolutely need that Z button.

Mercutio

That sucks. Sure it's a nice collector piece, but as far as utility, the D-pad and buttons are very stiff. I was disappointed. You're better off with a controller adapter and a proper SNES controller, unless you absolutely need that Z button.

Is there a good adapter for SNES to Gamecube? I remember hunting around for a bit and not finding one. I guess a pad-hack wouldn't be too tricky, but that's still a lot of work...

televator

Actually I much prefer the buttons on this to the SNES gummy feelling buttons. The pad is a bit stiffer, it's functionally the same.

If I really end up not liking it, I can always resell.

As long as you have the right bit to get through the 4 outer-most screws, the rest is simple.

If you're just replacing the front controller panel, then you barely need to remove anything at all. Getting all the way to the base to complete a paint job for the entire case might require a complete disassembly, which is easy, but requires going through a lot more screws.

When putting it back together, make sure that the disc lid is open as you slide the top of the case back into place. If you reassemble the case with the lid closed, you may snag the switch that rests under the drive lid and break it.

To do a full disassembly is not difficult, but it is time consuming, because it doesn't come out in one piece, it's all screwed in, in multitude of separate layers. But yeh, getting to the controller port piece is pretty easy.

This could be relevant to your needs!
Thanks for the responses, most appreciated. I'm too scared to take the risk though, gonna find someone to do it for me!

prateeko

Usually, the giveaway is the thickness of the plastic, or how tight it's wrapped on the case. There should basically be no extra space under the wrap.

Quick question - I got a Pikmin sealed (I won't be cable to take pictures for a few days) and I thought it was fake (like one before it) because there was no security device space/hole on the bottom, but it had the Player's Choice sticker on it (the yellow one they put on the game before the reprinted coverart came out, which I figured would be a surefire way to avoid a reseal) - I figured it was not legit but I wanted to check and make sure there isn't a chance it may be original (I got a great deal on it)?

Top Bottom