• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(05-07-2013, 01:13 AM)
Nirolak's Avatar
It seems they did give it a shot and didn't like the performance they were getting.

Given the engine doesn't run so hot on PC dual cores and needs a hard drive install on Xbox 360 to not look like ass, and honestly doesn't run super well on the 360/PS3 in general, this probably isn't overly surprising.

The original conversation between Frostbite Technical Director repi and Teletuby Hitler is as follows:



Source: https://twitter.com/repi/status/331549012022927360
R dott B
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:15 AM)
R dott B's Avatar
"I guess your "test ended around the same time as the "unprecedented partnership"

HEY OOOOH! Right in the kisser!
USC-fan
aka Kbsmoker
(05-07-2013, 01:15 AM)
someone should tell him about the edram and gpgpu....
shinobi602
(05-07-2013, 01:15 AM)
shinobi602's Avatar
Dat last tweet.

Mihael Mello Keehl
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:15 AM)
Mihael Mello Keehl's Avatar
The last tweet indeed
ShellyDeKiller
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:15 AM)
ShellyDeKiller's Avatar
hahaha, that last tweet got me.
shinra-bansho
Definitely Not Y2Kev's Alt Account
(05-07-2013, 01:15 AM)
shinra-bansho's Avatar
Were the PS3 and 360 versions of BF4 on FB3 as well, or are they using FB2, I can't remember?
Glorified G
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:16 AM)
Glorified G's Avatar
lol @ that twitter conversation. That is one bitter fanboy
DieH@rd
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:16 AM)
DieH@rd's Avatar
Shaanyboi
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:16 AM)
Shaanyboi's Avatar

Originally Posted by shinobi602

Dat last tweet.

.
BY2K
Membero Americo
(05-07-2013, 01:16 AM)
BY2K's Avatar
Is anybody ever gonna ask what the hell happened to that unprecedented partnership?
lordfroakie
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:16 AM)
lordfroakie's Avatar
"All Platforms" Yeah right EA....
VariantX
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Glorified G

lol @ that twitter conversation. That is one bitter fanboy

Bitter or not, its still hilarious
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(05-07-2013, 01:16 AM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by shinra-bansho

Were the PS3 and 360 versions of BF4 on FB3 as well, or are they using FB2, I can't remember?

Yeah, since Frostbite 3 is mostly a direct upgrade of Frostbite 2, and a lot of the changes are on the development side.
Kyzon
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:17 AM)
Kyzon's Avatar
Damn! That last tweet is brutal.
Malvingt2
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:17 AM)
Malvingt2's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mihael Mello Keehl

The last tweet indeed

yeah nailed it
Meelow
Banned
(05-07-2013, 01:17 AM)
Dat last tweet! Lol

I bet it ran fine on Wii U until EA and Nintendo got into a fight.
DragonSworne
Satoru Iwata and his Trilateral Commission cronies are suppressing the truth about Retro. Wake up, sheeple!
(05-07-2013, 01:18 AM)
DragonSworne's Avatar
Did they do their test pre or post hardware boost for the Wii U Dev kits?
Tron#1
Junior Member
(05-07-2013, 01:18 AM)
Tron#1's Avatar
So Cryengine can run on Wii U... But there engine FB2 and 3 can't and its too powerful for Wii U. B S.... Major B S.
The Abominable Snowman
Pure Life tonsil tickle
(05-07-2013, 01:18 AM)
The Abominable Snowman's Avatar
Hard on the CPU?
redmetal86
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:18 AM)
redmetal86's Avatar
Wait, going by those tweets, it doesn't have completed Frostbite 2 either? Or am I reading that wrong?
prag16
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:19 AM)
prag16's Avatar
Translation: "Lazy port wasn't going to run perfectly so we gave up."

It is what it is.
TreasureHunterG
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:19 AM)
TreasureHunterG's Avatar
Last tweet was nasty, but c'mon, that was what actually happened.
DigitalOp
Banned
(05-07-2013, 01:19 AM)

Originally Posted by shinobi602

Dat last tweet.

Classic
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(05-07-2013, 01:19 AM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by redmetal86

Wait, going by those tweets, it doesn't have completed Frostbite 2 either? Or am I reading that wrong?

Correct. You will notice that no Frostbite 2 games have actually appeared on the platform.
shinra-bansho
Definitely Not Y2Kev's Alt Account
(05-07-2013, 01:20 AM)
shinra-bansho's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Yeah, since Frostbite 3 is mostly a direct upgrade of Frostbite 2, and a lot of the changes are on the development side.

Ah, okay. And yes, then this is relatively unsurprising if the engine is as described, quite CPU-intensive.

I wonder how they deal with the Jaguars on the PS4 and Durango.
AstroNut325
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:20 AM)
AstroNut325's Avatar
DAT SALT with the last tweet. I didn't find it funny. Just childish.
Nerfgun
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:20 AM)
Nerfgun's Avatar

Originally Posted by DieH@rd

This pic is quickly becoming the Giant Enemy Crab of the Wii U.
maquiladora
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:20 AM)
maquiladora's Avatar
Thread is now about "dat last tweet".
timetokill
I call 'em "death hugs"
(05-07-2013, 01:20 AM)
timetokill's Avatar

Originally Posted by DieH@rd

Why is the Wii U looking out into the rain? It's stuck inside the house?

edit: Wait, I guess the pad would be reversed if that were the case. But then why is the controller semi-transparent/turning invisible?
AstroZombie
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:21 AM)
AstroZombie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tron#1

So Cryengine can run on Wii U... But there engine FB2 and 3 can't and its too powerful for Wii U. B S.... Major B S.

He never said that.
digoutyoursoul
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:21 AM)
digoutyoursoul's Avatar

Originally Posted by redmetal86

Wait, going by those tweets, it doesn't have completed Frostbite 2 either? Or am I reading that wrong?

If Frostbite 2 didnt have "promising" results then I think 3 wouldn't even get a sniff
AstroNut325
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:21 AM)
AstroNut325's Avatar

Originally Posted by timetokill

Why is the Wii U looking out into the rain? It's stuck inside the house?

edit: Wait, I guess the pad would be reversed if that were the case. But then why is the controller semi-transparent/turning invisible?

It can't go outside and play!
Malvingt2
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:21 AM)
Malvingt2's Avatar

Originally Posted by AstroNut325

DAT SALT with the last tweet. I didn't find it funny. Just childish.

it is reality not childish... but hey thanks for the spinning.
gngf123
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:22 AM)
gngf123's Avatar
This is what I hear when I read that:

We had no idea how to get anything out of the system so we didn't bother

Seriously, the thing is more than capable of running it.

Also, dat last tweet.
digoutyoursoul
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:22 AM)
digoutyoursoul's Avatar

Originally Posted by Malvingt2

it is reality not childish... but hey thanks for the spinning.

So it was you?
Meelow
Banned
(05-07-2013, 01:22 AM)

Originally Posted by AstroNut325

It can't go outside and play!

The Wii U is sad that it can't go outside in the rain and break down?
Tron#1
Junior Member
(05-07-2013, 01:22 AM)
Tron#1's Avatar

Originally Posted by AstroZombie

He never said that.

Well you can take it that way. All I'm saying is it BS. Its sad this is what they are using as their excuse. Man that deal left EA like a scorn lover.... Its a thin line between love and hate.
Holy Order Sol
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:22 AM)
NaCl pls
TheSeks
Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
(05-07-2013, 01:23 AM)
TheSeks's Avatar

Originally Posted by redmetal86

Wait, going by those tweets, it doesn't have completed Frostbite 2 either? Or am I reading that wrong?

They tried running Frostbite 2 on it, apparently it wouldn't run too well.

Which is a bit WTF since the We 2 is nothing but small step-up from PS3/360, isn't it? And those run Frostbite 2 with no major (outside of system freezes) issues.
Malvingt2
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:23 AM)
Malvingt2's Avatar

Originally Posted by digoutyoursoul

So it was you?

I wish..
JordanN
Junior Member
(05-07-2013, 01:24 AM)
JordanN's Avatar
I wonder when the myth of "hardware power has nothing to do with third party support" will end. So much evidence but I still see people plug their ears and go "lalalala can't hear you".
prag16
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:24 AM)
prag16's Avatar

Originally Posted by shinra-bansho

Ah, okay. And yes, then this is relatively unsurprising if the engine is as described, quite CPU-intensive.

I wonder how they deal with the Jaguars on the PS4 and Durango.

Here we go with this dead horse again.

The jaguars will be fine and espresso would have been fine too. EA is a lost cause with regard to the Wii U. Even after admitting to having backed the wrong horse last gen.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(05-07-2013, 01:24 AM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheSeks

They tried running Frostbite 2 on it, apparently it wouldn't run too well.

Which is a bit WTF since the We 2 is nothing but small step-up from PS3/360, isn't it? And those run Frostbite 2 with no major (outside of system freezes) issues.

To our knowledge the GPU is a straight improvement, the memory is larger but lower bandwidth, and the CPU might be worse.
Principate
Saint Titanfall
(05-07-2013, 01:25 AM)
Principate's Avatar

Originally Posted by AstroNut325

DAT SALT with the last tweet. I didn't find it funny. Just childish.

Heh it was pretty funny, considering how Ea intiated the unprecedented partnership and yet, they didn't bother running frostbite 2 on the wii u, despite it running similar level engines. Regardless of your view on the wii u, you gotta find Ea bullshit funny

Also kinda ironic using the term salt and calling someone else childish.
Alebrije
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:25 AM)
Alebrije's Avatar

Originally Posted by Meelow

The Wii U is sad that it can't go outside in the rain and break down?

Yes , besides all the philosophical implications that the pic shows...
shinra-bansho
Definitely Not Y2Kev's Alt Account
(05-07-2013, 01:25 AM)
shinra-bansho's Avatar

Originally Posted by maquiladora

Thread is now about "dat last tweet".

Nah, this thread is now about how Wii U owners know more about the Frostbite 3 engine than DICE.

Originally Posted by Meelow

I bet it ran fine on Wii U until EA and Nintendo got into a fight.

Originally Posted by DragonSworne

Did they do their test pre or post hardware boost for the Wii U Dev kits?

Originally Posted by Tron#1

So Cryengine can run on Wii U... But there engine FB2 and 3 can't and its too powerful for Wii U. B S.... Major B S.

Originally Posted by prag16

Translation: "Lazy port wasn't going to run perfectly so we gave up."

Originally Posted by gngf123

Seriously, the thing is more than capable of running it.

DieH@rd
Member
(05-07-2013, 01:25 AM)
DieH@rd's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Correct. You will notice that no Frostbite 2 games have actually appeared on the platform.

Many think that NFS: MW is Frostbite 2... but it isn't. Its modified Chameleon engine.
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(05-07-2013, 01:25 AM)
Plinko's Avatar

Originally Posted by JordanN

I wonder when the myth of "hardware power has nothing to do with third party support" will end. So much evidence but I still see people plug their ears and go "lalalala can't hear you".

I haven't heard anybody say that in months.
Meelow
Banned
(05-07-2013, 01:25 AM)
Nintendo and EA fighting remind me of little kids fighting.

EA: "We want you to do everything I say!"
Nintendo: "But you want us to make Origin our main platform for Wii U, we can't do that, sorry.
EA: "WHAT!!!???"
Nintendo: "You heard us"
EA: "Our partnership is over! We won't give your stupid Wii U anything!"
and so on...

Thread Tools