• @NeoGAF

Loudninja
No oxygen in space?
How does the sun burn?
Food for thought.
(05-09-2013, 04:39 AM)

Originally Posted by farisr

Dualshock 4 prototype hands-on (some new in-depth info, some we already knew):

- Some components are still being refined (like the d-pad and overall weight)

- Deadzone on the analog sticks has been greatly reduced.

- Both sticks feature stiffer resistance.

- Thumbs bumping into each other is no longer an issue, the analog sticks are spaced farther apart.

- Analog sticks have a ridged concave top that prevent your thumbs from slipping off.

- Stuck with symmetrical design. (Edit) Writer suggests the assymetrical design would cause more dificulties to interact with the touchpad without unintentionally bumping into the left stick. (Not said by sony or the game devs)

- Touchpad is multi-touch, replaces start and select buttons.

- Ridge at the end of the triggers grasps at your fingers instead of letting them slide off.

- There is a small speaker above the ps button, below the touchpad.

- Lightbar works in conjunction with the ps4 eye to track your position and adjusts the split screen accordingly.

- Controller felt comfortable and sturdy.

- Got input from Bungie (and a bunch of first party studios) for designing the DS4, Bungie really wanted to make it a controller that worked great for fps games.

- Writer of the article says the controller is a big reason for gamers to be excited for the console.

Thanks farisr!
Last edited by Loudninja; 05-26-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Man
(05-09-2013, 04:40 AM)
Beautiful controller. Looking forward to try it.

*Love* the look of the rigged grips.
Courage
(05-09-2013, 04:40 AM)

- Ridge at the end of the triggers grasps at your fingers instead of letting them slide off.

hatchx
(05-09-2013, 04:41 AM)
Sounds great. Honestly, PS4 can do no wrong it seems.
-Pyromaniac-
(05-09-2013, 04:41 AM)
Honestly looks like the perfect controller. Them cotddamn pics.
sunnz
(05-09-2013, 04:42 AM)
I think the R2/L2 from the looks of it could be curved a little more maybe.

Hope it's not too wide, 360 wide would be great.

ALSO, VITA d-pad please.
darkside31337
Tomodachi wa Mahou
(05-09-2013, 04:43 AM)
I really hope they decide to go with the Vita dpad in the end.
Clairvoyance
- Thumbs bumping into each other is no longer an issue, the analog sticks are spaced farther apart.

All I needed.
Radec
Bow down to the new king.

I hope it's build is firm.
nhlducks35

- Analog sticks have a ridged concave top that prevent your thumbs from slipping off.

Thank you based Sony
metalslimer
(05-09-2013, 04:44 AM)
Sounds almost perfect. Very glad they didn't listen to the people saying DS3 was perfect blegh...can't wait to try it out
Pagusas
I like that they at least considered moving the analogue sticks. Wish they would have gone through with it but I can respect there reasons not to.
jambo

Lightbar works in conjunction with the ps4 eye to track your position and adjusts the split screen accordingly.

...That could be awesome.

Really hope this is PC compatible or hackable, looks like a great controller.
kingocfs

Originally Posted by Courage

lol

Sounds great
enzo_gt
tagged by Blackace
Good news. I don't think a touchscreen on your controller should take priority over a better, asymmetrical stick layout, but I think at this point they just can't because of the history of the Dualshock.

Still looks like it's going to be a solid controller Particularly love what they're doing with the triggers and I hope MS is doing something similar. And if Bungie thinks it's good, it must be good.
Bronetta
Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
(05-09-2013, 04:45 AM)

Originally Posted by metalslimer

Sounds almost perfect. Very glad they didn't listen to the people saying DS3 was perfect blegh...can't wait to try it out

People actually thought the DS3 was perfect?
Alex
Please use the Vita's D-Pad.
Concept17
So damn sexy.
Juice
I don't understand how Sony can be on such a roll. They've been so tone deaf for nearly a decade, and now they're completely routing MS on the PR battle.
Smellycat
(05-09-2013, 04:46 AM)
I still think it looks terrible. That screen looks out of place.
Nerfgun
(05-09-2013, 04:46 AM)
I hadn't realized that the dpad buttons curve slightly at the outer edges. Interesting touch.
Epic Drop
(05-09-2013, 04:47 AM)
Really looks like a great controller. I'm hoping that the dpad is as nice as the vita
Blueblur1

Originally Posted by Alex

Please use the Vita's D-Pad.

This. It's the best D-Pad a PlayStation device has ever had.
Inorigo
The Durango pad will likely reign supreme as it's predecessor does currently, but this sounds great. Going to Bungie was really smart.
Callibretto

Originally Posted by metalslimer

usually when people say ds3 is perfect, they're referring to symmetrical analog placement. thank god they didn't change that, especially when they start looking input from 3rd pary like bungie who primarily use 360 controller so far.
CrazyDude

Originally Posted by Smellycat

I still think it looks terrible.

It's not like you'll be looking at it for more the 5 seconds.
codhand

Originally Posted by Juice

I don't understand how Sony can be on such a roll. They've been so tone deaf for nearly a decade, and now they're completely routing MS on the PR battle.

back against the wall and all that
R dott B
(05-09-2013, 04:48 AM)
Share button and Options button seem too close to the Dpad and buttons.
Killthee
helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
(05-09-2013, 04:48 AM)

Originally Posted by jambo

...That could be awesome.

Really hope this is PC compatible or hackable, looks like a great controller.

I think the Gaikai group will push SCE to release PC drivers this time.
Knux-Future
Banned
(05-09-2013, 04:49 AM)
There was an issue of thumbs touching on the ds3?

da fuq?
TouchMyBox
Sony, please release proper PC drivers for this beaut.
Articalys

Originally Posted by Pagusas

I like that they at least considered moving the analogue sticks. Wish they would have gone through with it but I can respect their reasons not to.

Originally Posted by enzo_gt

Good news. I don't think a touchscreen on your controller should take priority over a better, asymmetrical stick layout, but I think at this point they just can't because of the history of the Dualshock.

Agreed. Everything else sounds great though.

I do wonder how the pad will replace start/select, especially for pausing a game.
Wynnebeck
get daddy a sandwich
(05-09-2013, 04:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Smellycat

I still think it looks terrible. That screen looks out of place.

Also, love this assumption that asymmetrical is automatically the better control scheme.
Callibretto

Originally Posted by Knux-Future

da fuq?

where's that gif of someone handling ds3 wrong? lol
Pagusas

Originally Posted by Callibretto

usually when people say ds3 is perfect, they're referring to symmetrical analog placement. thank god they didn't change that, especially when they start looking input from 3rd pary like bungie who primarily use 360 controller so far.

Which is weird given how its the most problematic part of the ds3. The dpad was good, the shoulder and face buttons were great. The triggers sucked but it was earshot fix them. The sticks though, so loose, terrible feeling, and symmetrical. The last part is forgivable as preference (obviously I prefer the 360 layout) but the actual feeling of the sticks was truly terrible.
LightOfTruth
(05-09-2013, 04:51 AM)
I think this is the best anyone could have hoped for. They could never make a radical redesign.
Minions
Sounds great. Hope they don't mess the dpad up. Make it clicky! (like vita)
DMeisterJ
Banned

Originally Posted by Knux-Future

da fuq?

Yeah, I've never had that issue with the DS3, but good for those who apparently did though.
Zombie James
(05-09-2013, 04:52 AM)
Sounds fantastic. The only thing left that I hope they announce is some sort of official PC support. Getting a DS3 to work on a PC is a pain in the ass.
JordanLMiller
I think it looks pretty ugly, but I'm hoping it will be a good controller. I'd like it to be a bit heavier actually.
Tallshortman

Originally Posted by enzo_gt

Still looks like it's going to be a solid controller Particularly love what they're doing with the triggers and I hope MS is doing something similar. And if Bungie thinks it's good, it must be good.

That's entirely subjective, I prefer having the dpad directly across from the face buttons and the dualshock stick layout.
Valnen
(05-09-2013, 04:53 AM)
I just want to know if the headset jack on the controller actually outputs game audio or it's *just* for voice chat. If it's just for voice chat that's disappointing and I hope the PS3 pulse wireless headsets work with the system.
Loudninja
No oxygen in space?
How does the sun burn?
Food for thought.
(05-09-2013, 04:54 AM)

Originally Posted by LightOfTruth

I think this is the best anyone could have hoped for. They could never make a radical redesign.

Yep they took imo a great design and completely redesign.

New rumble,triggers,analog sticks and added features.
abstract alien
baby dolphin -> sun
it's the only way
(05-09-2013, 04:54 AM)

Thank the fucking heavens. Every platformer and every shooter involving any kind of precision was screwed from the start due to this.
blamite
(05-09-2013, 04:55 AM)
Sounds really great so far. I've always hated the feel of the dualshock but with the new triggers and grips it seems like most of m problems should be taken care of. Still not sold on the touchpad and I'll miss Start and Select but in most other ways this seems really good.

I'm just glad that switching from the 360 to PS4, I won't have to take too steep of a downgrade in controller quality.

edit:

Actually, I'm not really liking the look of the material of those analogs. I'd rather have them be 100% concave and smooth than convex/concave with that textured of a material.
Last edited by blamite; 05-09-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Pagusas

Originally Posted by Valnen

I just want to know if the headset jack on the controller actually outputs game audio or it's *just* for voice chat. If it's just for voice chat that's disappointing and I hope the PS3 pulse wireless headsets work with the system.

I doubt they would add in full audio transmitting to the controller. It would be to expensive and underused, not something to realistically expect.
iamvin22

Originally Posted by Loudninja

Dualshock 4 prototype hands-on (some new in-depth info, some we already knew):

- Some components are still being refined (like the d-pad and overall weight)

- Stuck with symmetrical design because the assymetrical design would cause more dificulties to interact with the touchpad without unintentionally bumping into the left stick.

- Touchpad is multi-touch, replaces start and select buttons.

- There is a small speaker above the ps button, below the touchpad.

- Lightbar works in conjunction with the ps4 eye to track your position and adjusts the split screen accordingly.

- Got input from Bungie (and a bunch of first party studios) for designing the DS4, Bungie really wanted to make it a controller that worked great for fps games.

- Writer of the article says the controller is a big reason for gamers to be excited for the console.

Thanks farisr!

cuyahoga
Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Looks ugly as sin, like the stole Nextel's product designers.
Nerfgun
(05-09-2013, 04:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Valnen

I would think it's a setting. You'd want one mode for single player stuff and the other for multi, no?

I think it has the latest Bluetooth and it does have a speaker... assigned audio is possible it seems.
CaptainZombie
(05-09-2013, 04:56 AM)
Sony please release some PC drivers for the DS4 this time around. One of my biggest beefs with the DS3. I can't wait to get my hands on this controller.