• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie game developer Chloe Sagal attempted suicide on TwitchTV, not dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused. Was the indiegogo/life saving surgery thing a scam?

I believe some terms or something was broken and money was not received. I forget.

Edit: This is the whole story taken from a comment (that one reddit site, Locators of the Boston bombing suspect???). http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1c3t3z/indie_game_developer_chloe_sagals_lifesaving/

So, Metal Poisoning is not a thing. You also cant just lose a court case like this for no reason, no matter how unprepared you are, and a hospital would not bother to take it to court unless they were very convinced there was a possibility they were not responsible.
This comment:
" I called and talked with my mother the other day. It started as me breaking the news about all of this, pleading for her help, to her telling me I'm a disappointment, and that all my problems were my fault or in my head, because of my 'lifestyle choice'. I screamed at her and that was that."
this comment:
"Unfortunately the metal object is in a compromising place"
this comment:
"On a side note, there is a second surgery that I am seeking to get caused by the accident, however, it is not vital to my survival, but it is vital to myself being able to live a normal life. "
this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KbFJZHTzuy0
Did you see it yet? The reason her surgery is not covered by insurance, and the hospital was able to get out of this, and she made up a disease is... You're funding a Transexuals follow up to a botched surgery.
I have nothing against transexuals, but its pretty shitty to lie about why you need surgery while at the same time asking for handouts.

fallagin

what a fucking asshole

livestreaming a suicide?

im not condemning her or saying she didnt have issues and it's none of my business, but doing it live is just incredibly bad form for me.

I dunno man, I don't really think there is a 'form' for this kind of thing. These were her last moments(well hopefully not), and it was kind of hers to choose how she did it.

Calvarok

Banned
I am really sick of the people who see someone committed suicide and use it as an opportunity to boast about how great they are for NOT killing themselves. Like they know something that person didn't.

It's not a game. You didn't win anything. In fact you lost a fellow human being.

Evidently, if the person raising the (denied) funds attempted suicide over this, it's probably not a scam. Also cross-posting from the original thread:

So, Indiegogo issued a statement to Eurogamer:
"Indiegogo has a proprietary and effective fraud algorithm and when suspicious activity is detected the campaign is immediately suspended and all contributors are refunded," an Indiegogo spokesperson told me.

"Indiegogo's proprietary trust and security algorithms, and our community of credible, conscious participants help to make Indiegogo the world's largest, most trusted global crowdfunding platform."

I replied asking for more information on why that specific Indiegogo campaign had been taken down, and received more or less the same answer.

"When suspicious activity is detected, the campaign is immediately suspended and all contributions are refunded."

I couldn't reach the spokesperson by phone but will continue to ask for further clarification.

So in other words, they killed the campaign because they suspect money laundering.

SHARKvince

Neo Member
I'm shocked. Damn. I supported and chatted with her through Facebook the last few weeks, she was nice. Her mood got progressively worse and I (and a few others) tried to cheer her up, but there's only so much you can do from far away, even though she appreciated it lots.

After these campaigns were shut down, she additionally got tons of hate messages (much more so than support) which had an impact on her.

sephi22

It seems like she disabled youtube comments when people started asking her about the sex reassignment surgery, then afterwards re-enabled them with this description:

'I re-enabled the comments, so please, tell me more about how you know all about what is going on and what actually happened.'

It seems like she wasn't denying the allegations after this, or maybe she was just fed up of replying to trolls, and felt she didn't need to explain herself any further.

FC7E26d.jpg

If the allegations are true, I don't know how I feel about this. She could've just said 'My life's been hell because of my sexual identity. Please, I need money for reassignment surgery, etc.' but I don't know the legal ramifications of that.

ReaperXL7

o_O

Why would you livestream your death??

This is tragic, but the answer to this is clear. She did it because she was in pain and felt alone, like no one understold, or wanted to understand her situation.

The second was to prove a point in that (as she believed) no one gave a shit, and this is the consequence for that. This really is just further proof (like we need anymore) that mental healthcare needs some serious overhaul in this and probably many other contries in the world, because when people feel desperate for help they could do anything to try and get it.

Ill be curious to see if its proven she did in fact go through with the act, but if she did thats a terrible outcome, and i wish the best to those who cared for her.

Calvarok

Banned
This is also why I get uncomfortable when people try to justify constant barrages of hate towards any individuals in the gaming community. You never know how someone's life is at the moment and what might push them over the edge.

BrunoM

hahaha, let me just commit suicide on a videogaming streaming website to get noticed at least enough to satisfy my cravings, even if just for a moment!

still gets trumped by league of legends
Buddy really ? I mean what a dumb comment .. I hard to fight tru spine cancer lost my legs for a year learned how to walk again pain that I can not describe but I had people by my side
But even I at points had it pass by my mind I wish it would just all end the daily pain the looks everything I got 2 more tumors and I'm gonna keep fighting

So the point is that in a way I get her and of these really did happen then I'm sorry for her and the ones that did love her I'm sorry she had to do something like she did and doing it live ( not the right thing to do ) but who are we to say what's right when the ones you love push you to that point ...

If we can't do nothing that we can't its to late right she has passed at lest lets not look ignorant and say idiotic things as u did ..

Hope I didn't offend your Internet ego or pride bud ...

But please you and others like you please use ur head and even heart at times respect others alive or dead

KarmaCow

I am really sick of the people who see someone committed suicide and use it as an opportunity to boast about how great they are for NOT killing themselves. Like they know something that person didn't.

It's not a game. You didn't win anything. In fact you lost a fellow human being.

It's fucking sickening how severe depression and suicide is seen as a joke to some people. Good fucking god, get some perspective on your life when you're chastising a person who thought death was only recourse to end their suffering.

it'd be pretty hilarious if admins condoned live streaming suicide instead of seeking help for someone

whihc, lol, gaf helps people in rough places. sorry i can't call out shitty actions

because i gotta be so sensitive to dead rude people

e: hey, wonder what this dev is up to! oh they're killing themselves, this isn't emotionally scarring. props to those if they got her help but nah, fuck this person.
How would that be condoning suicide in any fucking way or form? Some of you guys scare the hell out of me with your stupidity.

Juice

This sounds like a terrifically complex situation.

The shrapnel/metal/car crash story sounds really bizarre, as if ripped out of the plot of Iron Man.

If it was a scam, that'd be a shame, for sure.

But what of all the vitriol and hate she received? Was it because of these allegations or were there other reasons for it as well?

DrPirate

Banned
The second was to prove a point in that (as she believed) no one gave a shit, and this is the consequence for that. This really is just further proof (like we need anymore) that mental healthcare needs some serious overhaul in this and probably many other contries in the world, because when people feel desperate for help they could do anything to try and get it.

I'm going along with this sentiment. The tragedy is that this situation had to end up getting to this point in the first place. More should be done about mental health, especially when taking into account how stressful the average life is, we don't do enough as a society to promote the importance of mental healthcare.

When it comes to the point of no return, we see things like this, and shootings and whatnot. Really, really sad.

antonz

It was revealed that the person was more or less lying and trying to scam people to fund her sex change. I am guessing this led to this unfortunate situation if it has indeed happened

jtb

Banned
Some of the posts in this thread... I don't even know where to begin. Vidcons has always been nothing more than a cruel troll (and that's putting it very kindly), so that doesn't surprise me in the least.

As for the general "suicide is cowardly/selfish" bullshit:

Suicide is selfish—just like every action a person takes, ever. none of us are in any position to decide what another human being does with their own life, so it sure as fuck is not our position to judge them for this actions with regards to their own life.

As for "cowardly"... ugh. What does this even mean? you want to pat yourself on the back because you "survived" while someone else wasn't strong enough? okay. Go ahead. Feel better about yourself because of someone else's suffering.

(neither of these particularly relate to the story at hand, I suppose, but I figure I might as well respond to this stigma that surrounds suicide)

AppleMIX

I've been looking around and no one really knows if the Indiegogo was a scam or not.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1c3t3z/indie_game_developer_chloe_sagals_lifesaving/

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1akyhh/indie_game_dev_chloe_sagal_developer_of_homesick/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1bmequ/indie_game_homesick_developer_needs_life_saving/c985j27

Most people thought it wasn't very legit. The comments don't really shock me, it is the internet after all. Still sad news...

There were rumors IndieGoGo determined that the metal poisoning story was just a front and the real surgery she was going to have was a sex change operation. I knew nothing about her before this incident, so I'm just going by what I've picked from the net, so that could be completely wrong.

There's a post in the previous thread outlining several causes for skepticism.

This is still somewhat tangential to the suicide, a strange and sad situation any way you think about it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It was revealed that the person was more or less lying and trying to scam people to fund her sex change. I am guessing this led to this unfortunate situation if it has indeed happened

So was the accident thing made up? I'm not very clear myself. If there's stuff I'm missing in the OP that should be in there, let me know.

xbhaskarx

People have a right to not be scammed, and to be pissed off at those who try to scam them.
Still a sad turn of events, whether it was a scam or not.

hahaha, let me just commit suicide on a videogaming streaming website to get noticed at least enough to satisfy my cravings, even if just for a moment!

still gets trumped by league of legends

So many lovely people on the internet...

sephi22

FFVBOqB.jpg

I don't know. If I were in her position, I would take this man's offer. This scam theory might have some weight to it. This person might have dug their own grave, so to speak. They should have been truthful from the beginning, or at least more forthcoming with evidence, etc.

Also, she replied to some of the comments with stuff like 'I'm going to die a slow death', someone said 'You're not going to do it.' and she replied with 'That shit's gonna be livestreamed bro'.

I'm really conflicted.

This is horrible. Regardless of what kind of person she was (or hopefully still is), it's just tragic to see a person resort to this. As someone who's dealt with suicide in the past, I can't help but feel sick when hearing about stuff like this.

So was the accident thing made up? I'm not very clear myself. If there's stuff I'm missing in the OP that should be in there, let me know.

I'm on the working assumption that it's not, judging from the fact that the channel was suspended and that the /v/ claims are plausible.

JABEE

It sounds like people are just inferring it based on some of the things that she purportedly wrote.

Either way, this is a tragedy. I hope there is still time for her to get the help she needs.

cafemomo

People need to stop labeling all suicide as selfish/cowardly. There are many people who commit suicide for many reasons with many different mental faculties. Someone acting irrationally/without sound mind can hardly be called selfish for their actions. They don't know what they are doing.

Alright, you have some valid points, but there is no excuse at all to broadcast her suicide.

Either way, like what many people said it's a sad situation and my wishes go out to her close friends and family.

B-Dex

Bad timing on her part (to lie about the situation if she actually was making anything up). There was recently that huge scammer streamer pretending he couldn't walk getting exposed. I'm guessing that is why there was a lot more scrutiny/hate being thrown in her direction.

antonz

I'm on the working assumption that it's not, judging from the fact that the channel was suspended and that the /v/ claims are plausible.

Yeah people are claiming there is footage out there because there is always at least one person who gets their kicks on this stuff. Story is OD on pills and cam stayed running for 20 minutes till site shut it down.

Bad timing on her part (to lie about the situation if she actually was making anything up). There was recently that huge scammer streamer pretending he couldn't walk getting exposed. I'm guessing that is why there was a lot more scrutiny/hate being thrown in her direction.

Nah, that's was last week, wasn't it? Certainly far, far more recent than the IGG in question.

I wasn't aware of the game or the funding campaign/scandal, but very sad story regardless of what happened. No burden should be so much that it drives someone to suicide.. :(

And in no surprise to anyone, the internet is full of assholes.

TheD

The Detective
Some of the posts in this thread... I don't even know where to begin. Vidcons has always been nothing more than a cruel troll (and that's putting it very kindly), so that doesn't surprise me in the least.

As for the general "suicide is cowardly/selfish" bullshit:

Suicide is selfish—just like every action a person takes, ever. none of us are in any position to decide what another human being does with their own life, so it sure as fuck is not our position to judge them for this actions with regards to their own life.

As for "cowardly"... ugh. What does this even mean? you want to pat yourself on the back because you "survived" while someone else wasn't strong enough? okay. Go ahead. Feel better about yourself because of someone else's suffering.

(neither of these particularly relate to the story at hand, I suppose, but I figure I might as well respond to this stigma that surrounds suicide)

Yeah!
The real cowardly and selfish thing to do is to judge people that are in a terrible enough place to kill themselves!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I was such on a high after achieving a gaming milestone, see this, wow that shit brought me back down to earth at a fast rate

Wow, she's really dead?

There's so much confusion to the articles and all the misinformation from all the comments

Did she really commit suicide on twitchtv? (confirmed?)
I know the channel has been pulled

sephi22

The reddit comment that started this thing

So, Metal Poisoning is not a thing. You also cant just lose a court case like this for no reason, no matter how unprepared you are, and a hospital would not bother to take it to court unless they were very convinced there was a possibility they were not responsible.
This comment:
" I called and talked with my mother the other day. It started as me breaking the news about all of this, pleading for her help, to her telling me I'm a disappointment, and that all my problems were my fault or in my head, because of my 'lifestyle choice'. I screamed at her and that was that."
this comment:
"Unfortunately the metal object is in a compromising place"
this comment:
"On a side note, there is a second surgery that I am seeking to get caused by the accident, however, it is not vital to my survival, but it is vital to myself being able to live a normal life. "
this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KbFJZHTzuy0
Did you see it yet? The reason her surgery is not covered by insurance, and the hospital was able to get out of this, and she made up a disease is... You're funding a Transexuals follow up to a botched surgery.
I have nothing against transexuals, but its pretty shitty to lie about why you need surgery while at the same time asking for handouts.

Calvarok

Banned
What I currently believe is that people started rumors and she simply got tired of correcting them.

The internet can be a blunt and unthoughtful place, and dealing with it on the scale it appears she had to would be hell for any person who's in a dark place and feeling unstable.

EDIT: That reddit comment sounds like it made some questionable deductive leaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom