• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco's Dark Souls 2 marketing: "We're treating this as a massive, massive AAA title"

Awesome, I'm all for more people playing the Souls games. I just hope it doesn't come in the form of preorder DLC nonsense. Also, I would eat Dark Souls Doritos.

Anteater

They just need to make a trailer with the protagonist taking lots of arrows to the knee, and skyrim fans will market the game for you

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know, I try to stay on the positive side when it comes to video games. When it comes to the big budgets and the preorder bonuses. I typically don't think they're that big of deals. I usually, not defend them, but try to tell people it's not such a big deal.

But then the Metro Ranger mode preorder bonus happened and my brain broke. 'Sign up for Namco Bandai social and get a fast travel ring for free!'

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dark Souls Dorito Edition:

Some chips are chips

Some chips are rat poison in the shape of chips

Dark Souls Mountain Dew:

It's all cat piss

Instro

If Namco wants to plop down enough money to attract Skyrim players or have the same type of marketing as Skyrim then that's an incredibly naive and ill fated strategy.

Dark Souls was successful financially due to word of mouth and decent coverage before release, no marketing dollars meant money saved. More marketing isn't going to up the existing market or player base substantially or even at all.

Word of mouth is limited in this case, as its generally only certain people talking about it on gaming forums. Video games have not reached the wide acceptability and understanding of movies, sports, or music where you can randomly start up a conversation with anyone about a game that doesn't already have a massive marketing campaign behind it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Can someone phone up Jim Sterling?

I want to see his reaction to this after the article about reasonable budgeting for development and marketing.

UrbanRats

"We're going to go balls-deep and guns-blazing with it, and hope to God that it works"

ibvetgAZaCiRPb.gif

BraXzy

Dark Souls II |OT| Balls-deep and Guns-blazin

Love it ;) I hope it works out for them and they get a good return

So this game might not end up making profit if they spend to much on marketing .
Just goes to show you that even a good budget game , pubs will kill by over spending on marketing .

DaBoss

Please don't make dumbed down and don't excessively spend money and not make it possible to get a return on it.

Oh my god they're putting a lot of resources into marketing this game and ensuring that it'll be as successful as possible and, gag, reaching out to fans of other RPGs to share in the franchise.

Oh god, preorder canceled.

From my experience: reach Taurus or Gargoyles, too hard, quit game

There's no way to help them.

It won't be the bosses that make them quit. It will be the "what the fuck am I doing? Where am I supposed to go and why is this first enemy owning my ass? How do I level up? Where is the loot? This game sucks. Where is the fucking quest marker?!"

Lots of used copies available I guess.

UrbanRats

"We'll release it, and pray to fucking God it doesn't Bomb, because i still have to finish paying my car and my ex-wife is killing me with the alimony; that's our strategy"

I mean you have to appreciate the honesty there.

MormaPope

Banned
Oh my god they're putting a lot of resources into marketing this game and ensuring that it'll be as successful as possible and, gag, reaching out to fans of other RPGs to share in the franchise.

Oh god, preorder canceled.

More high risk gambling in the game industry! Yay!

K.Sabot

They already alleviated my worries with the gameplay demonstration.

They should go balls deep with the marketing, but not in a "you are going to die a lot" kind of way.

elfinke

That someone in a 'PR Director' position... No, I'll go one step back.

That a position titled 'PR Director', which presumably had a fairly comprehensive position description to be answered before you even get an interview, can be filled by someone who speaks like this

"We're going to go balls-deep and guns-blazing with it, and hope to God that it works,"​

I just don't even know. It's not new or the first time I've heard this, but it does seem like a particularly egregious use here.

Otherwise, I look forward to EBGames here in Australia being plastered floor-to-ceiling with Dark Souls malarkey closer to release, including the now de facto 'pre-order here and get XXX in-game items!'.

Urgh.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I can understand putting more effort and more money into marketing. That's good.
...I can't see the typical, absurdly bloated "console AAA" marketing budget being a worthwhile investment here. That sounds bad.

Courage

The biggest troll would be to market it as something that it isn't and when people buy it they'll keep dying. Over and over and over.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This cannot possibly end badly.

It kind of reads like an Onion article really.

All they needed was another paragraph or two about how Namco Bandai made a bunch of money off the first one by being conservative with marketing spend and all the other companies that just missed expectations on major titles.

Top Bottom