• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Story of NeoGAF [Update: Part 3 - $$$] (VG247)

Vashetti

Banned
NeoGAF-Banner.jpg

Look at that poor AA

1/10 would not visit again

El Sloth

Banned
You know, I had always just assumed that VG247 was another N4G. Checking other stuff on the site though and so far I'm liking what I'm reading.

xJavonta

Banned
If neogaf offered live streams for events like E3 press conferences or game events I would love that shit. I'd use gaf exclusively for pretty much all my gaming news needs (assuming it could handle the load).

It'd probably bring gaf to it's knees though, so I couldnt' see it being implemented anytime soon.

You know, I had always just assumed that VG247 was another N4G. Checking other stuff on the site though and so far I'm liking what I'm reading.
Yeah VG247 is actually pretty good, one of my frequents.

I wonder if Evilore ever got those $50 from Fistful.
I don't know the story behind this one lol

Deku Tree

I've been here since 2004. This place is great. It is fun to read the back story. I never new most of that... looking forward to part 2 and the rest of it.

Salaadin

I laughed at the Dyack quote so early in the article. His shenanigans pretty much go hand in hand with this place now.

A lot of the stuff outlined in that article are the reasons I joined gaf. Used to frequent IGN and just became frustrated by the inconsistent moderation, the segmented fanbases, and the massive amounts of trolling. When they started to switch into some new forum design that was just pure shit, that was it for me.
Once my account got approve here, I found myself visiting the other places less and less and now gaf is all I need for news, discussion, and everything else. Its just all here.

legacyzero

Banned
The hate for GAF by some really confuses me..

It really is the best boards here is. Anybody who has ever frequented Gametrailers' forums might agree.

Sadist

It really is the best boards here is. Anybody who has ever frequented Gametrailers' forums might agree.
GAF be stealin' mah news!

But seriously, I think "the hate" is mostly for the first two pages of a thread with hyperbolic statements reacting to news being the trend. And every drive by comment/argument which appears every now and then derailing the thread. But overall, discussions get better. Well most of the times. But going back to the hate thing, I suppose some publishers/developers/sites/mags won't like the way how GAF discusses the news. Especially with calling out reviewers GAF became a big target for publishers and the press. They don't like what they see.

kswiston

I would imagine a lot of that hate comes from previously permabanned members. There must be thousands of those floating around the gaming community by now.

That was a great read, looking forward to the second part.

I've never understood the hate that GAF receives from other parts of the Internet. The community is great and you get back equal what you put in as a member of the community.

Go_Ly_Dow

Posting in the same thread as the big cheese himself. I am not worthy.

We also need a piece dedicated to blame space.

Kifimbo

we’re running on ridiculously powerful hardware right now – I even upgraded again after the Sony conference stuff. We’re at, like 64 cores, 160 gigabytes of RAM and this fast, cloud-based array

This is kinda out of place in an article called Humble Beginnings.

Anyway, good read.

I knew the general backstory, but this article added a few interesting details. Kudos to Mr. Malka, quite an amazing success story, and I'm glad someone with your perspective is running the place.

NeoGIF

I tip my hat even further with more respect to EviLore after reading that wonderful piece.

We truly appreciate all of your hard, dedicated work that you have done over the many years.

Looking forward to part 2 of the article.

I used to visit GA years and years back, but it wasn't until FFXIII at E3 went down, the infamous 'Japanese culture expert' post began circulating, and Denis Dyack's awkward Too Human promotion led me to register here. One of my better life decisions. :lol

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
All in all, a good read, and a nice introduction for us newcomers! I also recomend browsing the archives for newer members like myself - it's a gold mine!

Top Bottom