• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Hat in Time Kickstarter. Wind Waker-styled 3D platformer, PC/Mac/possibly Wii U

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonaskaerlev/a-hat-in-time-3d-collect-a-thon-platformer

Kickstarter Trailer
Chapter 2 Trailer
Steam Greenlight

A Hat in Time is a 3D collect-a-thon platformer in the spirit of the beloved Nintendo and Rare games from the Nintendo 64 era. Think Banjo-Kazooie, The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario 64 all in one!

Time is falling apart and it is the job of the brave interstellar-travelling Hat Kid to collect all the time pieces and put them back together! But watch out, you're in a race against the evil Mustache Girl who wants to use time for evil!

The game mashes the best from old-school 3D platformers and gives it a modern twist! Not only can you navigate terrain using traditional gameplay mechanics such as running and jumping (and wall jumping - everybody loves wall jumping!), but you are also provided with your trusty umbrella, which can be upgraded to provide a wide range of abilities!

919968_549167225134812_1891535543_o.jpg

461138_555611257823742_1819500641_o.jpg

860682_516662291718639_162014623_o.jpg

887388_524918814226320_522603636_o.jpg

$30k main goal, with several stretch goals planned out. PC/Mac release, and Wii U planned but not able to promise yet:

A Hat in Time will be available on Windows and Mac. We also aim for getting a Steam release (please give us a vote on Steam Greenlight!). Additionally, we have plans on releasing console versions if everything goes to plan. Being big Nintendo fans ourselves, we are talking with a publisher to help making a Wii U version. However, at this point we are not able to promise anything - so stay tuned and cross your fingers!

k3zEmz6.jpg

The Wii U has the potential to be a great little system. This looks ace too..I'm in. This will be the first kick starter I will donate. :)

Dwayne

Confused why all the kickstarters are going to Wii U and not more popular platforms (where they'd potentially get more sales).

Looks great, and as I said in the other thread, I'll totally back this if they can confirm Wii U support (or even add it as some sort of reasonable stretch goal).

Ceebs is correct.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
A Hat in Time is a 3D collect-a-thon platformer

I remember a lot of people disliking Rare games like Donkey Kong 64 specifically because of all the collecting going on. Is that something people actually want in their games nowadays?

They don't need a publisher to get this on the Wii U. They need to look into that.

I would guess it's more of a publisher to help them out with porting the game and the extra work that comes with it. Like Nicalis has been doing and Curve Studios recently started doing.

syko de4d

looks really great. If they already have a playable demo they should contact some popular Youtube Guys like TotalBiscuit.

Heyt

Banned
Confused why all the kickstarters are going to Wii U and not more popular platforms (where they'd potentially get more sales).

Because Nintendo is making things quite friendly for indies, it seems. If the Nintendo Framework works out and ths system finally start selling, it could compete with Ouya in therms of indie catalog.

Too bad the console is having a really hard time at shops and may still suffer from this for quite some time.

In regards to this game, my credit card aready did it's job. I'm really looking forward to this.

Gbraga

Looks great, and as I said in the other thread, I'll totally back this if they can confirm Wii U support (or even add it as some sort of reasonable stretch goal).

Ceebs is correct.

You can always cancel your pledge. Best case scenario you get in the early bid tiers for your WiiU copy, worst case scenario you lose nothing.

Meelow

Banned
I remember a lot of people disliking Rare games like Donkey Kong 64 specifically because of all the collecting going on. Is that something people actually want in their games nowadays?

I loved collect-a-thon games, I was sad last gen didn't have much, hopefully this gen is much better and this game is the first part of it.

gngf123

If they haven't already, they should try contacting Nintendo. I'm sure Dan would help them out.

Project looks great, hope it reaches its goal.

NotLiquid

Self publishing is only really available on PS4, Wii U and Vita (I think), though if they claim they're actually looking for a publisher then I'm surprised they're not aiming for PS3/360 either.

A lot of indies are doing really well on the Wii U because of the ease of development and publishing, and also since Wii U owners are starved for games. The eShop is doing really well of itself and it offers a ton of publisher leeway.

Wikzo

We don't want to make a promise that we can't be 100% sure of yet. Then it is better to express that we really hope to release on Wii U, but we can't confirm it at the moment. We hope you can understand this :)

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, it's a platformer? I'll really have to keep my eye out on this one. Hope it hits the eShop sooner than later.

Meelow

Banned
Yeah, never got the widespread hatred for them.

Some, like Banjo Kazooie, were among the best games ever.

Exactly, and the best thing about games like those, especially Banjo is they we're completely optional.

We need more games like this/Banjo/collect-a-thon N64 type games and a little less generic shooters.

Note to people that might get mad at my last comment: I said "generic" shooters, FPS games are perfectly fine with me.

wrowa

Reminds me of Mario Sunshine rebuild with Wind Waker's graphics. Not sure if I'll end up liking it, but it definitely looks neat.

Collect-a-thons have been huge in the N64 gen and there are still quite a lot of people who have fond memories of these games. That kind of game isn't mainstream popular in today's landscape anymore, but it's an indie game. Catering to the audience who wants to play a new plattform in that vein should be more than viable for the team.

At least if the game's actually good.

PK Gaming

Platformer Checklist
-Double Jump
ZA001117936.gif

-Wall jump
ZA001117936.gif

-Ground pound
ZA001117936.gif

-Grapple hook/Hookshot
ZA001117936.gif

-Lava world
ZA001117936.gif

oh man, I hope they get to 100K, I want to play this game with voice acting :D

oVerde

Banned
Looks awesome! Console publishers should take more advantage of well backed Kickstarter games as they have already an audience.

Top Bottom