• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog will use existing Uncharted, The Last of Us engine for PS4

This is not a bad thing. Apparently the God of War 3 engine was initially a port of the engine used in GoW games of PS2.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132688/interview_the_shape_of_god_of_war_.php?print=1

Game director Bruce Straley explained how it won't repeat past mistakes of developing a new engine from scratch for a new console generation, as it did when it started work on Uncharted for the PS3."We learned a big lesson coming from PS2 to PS3," he told Digital Spy.

"There was a lot of hype over what next-gen was going to be. It was all going to be like movies, like a pre-rendered cutscene-style fidelity.

"That turned out not to be true. Granted, what we're able to do now is pretty damn close, but it took Naughty Dog four games to get there - one of the top developers in the industry with some on the most amazing scientists working in our programming department."

"We scrapped everything at the beginning of Uncharted 1, and we had a perfectly good engine with the Jak & Daxter franchise.
"Again, we were creating a new IP, with a new engine, with a lot of weird expectations. Nobody had a dev kit soon enough, and as we all know, trying to figure out how to programme for a whole new piece of hardware was really difficult.

Straley continued: "We learned our lesson in saying, as we move into development into next-gen, we want to take our current engine, port it immediately over as is and say, 'Okay, we have a great AI system, we have a good rendering system'.

"We have all these things that already work. Only when we hit a wall will we say, 'When do we need to change something? When do we need to scale it?

"'When does the gameplay, when does the story, when does the world that we need to create - when does this engine hit the wall? Right, now we need to change this part of the engine.'

"Hindsight's 20-20, and it sounds obvious to say it, but it's one of those things that you learn in development. We've gained something from this experience, and now we want to apply it moving into next gen."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...-last-of-us-engine-for-ps4.html#ixzz2UrTOf3Le

Great. Hope they make a vast upgrade to it though. Would love to see some ultra realistic details in their new generation games.

RdN

It's a great engine, and with the improvements that it will receive, I'm sure it'll again stand in the top.

I guess this increases the possibility of The Last of Us on PS4 a lot. In 10 days we will know why Sony delayed the game to after E3. ^^

StevieP

Banned
ITT, people discover that "new engines" are actually many times just built on existing tech. They'll add a SM5 renderer and they're good to go.

flattie

Nice. Can't wait to see what these guys come up with next. Also, I wonder if this improves the chances of seeing 1080/60 versions of the UC Trilogy and LoU for the PS4.

good, they won't have to spend 2 years just making a new engine.

their animation system is pretty impressive as well, glad they are keeping it and probably making it even better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ITT, people discover that "new engines" are actually many times just built on existing tech. They'll add a SM5 renderer and they're good to go.

should we now perhaps stop shitting on other companies doing the same just because they aren't a darling developer?

this is a good, commonsense approach. And in 3-4 games time the PS3 engine will barely stil exist, having been replaced over time with new parts.

StiLt

given the differences between the architectures (i.e. how the engine would be load balanced across the CPU/RAM/GPU) it will be interesting to see just how smooth their next gen transition will be. With the voodoo they've managed to squeeze out of the PS3, I can't wait to see what to see just how far they can dial it up on the new hardware.

allan-bh

Same engine in new generation is good news?

I know will be upgrade, but sounds to me that graphics are not going to have the improvement that could have in a new engine.

AOC83

Banned
Gemüsepizza;60358869 said:
I guess this increases the possibility of The Last of Us on PS4 a lot. In 10 days we will know why Sony delayed the game to after E3. ^^

If The Last of US is coming for PS4 they are not going to announce this before the game has launched.

Pretty much. Switching to a new engine only makes sense if it's reducing development time or drastically improves performance.

ND is trained on that engine, it would be a complete waste to throw that away.

Nibel

I know will be upgrade, but sounds to me that graphics are not going to have the improvement that could have in a new engine.

I think a heavily-modified current-gen Naughty Dog engine will look way better than U3/TLoU

There's no reason to start over and I think that their architecture is modern enough to upgrade the thing to almost no end

Kind of bummed that they are not making a new one, but oh well. To be honest it's not fair if this doesn't get any flack and Call of Duty does in terms of principles.

The difference in opinion here versus the COD thread is startling. Granted the COD engine is older, but similar principles apply.

Either way if it leads to less dev time I'm all for it!

I'd say very, very few next-gen games, certainly around launch, will use an entirely new engine.

Game development is iterative; you build on what you have. I'd wager Infinity Ward's "new engine" for CoD: Ghosts still has elements from the Quake engine in it.

The Naughty Dog engine will be expanded, modified, utilise higher res art and textures, etc. Their games already look a step ahead of the competition - imagine what they can do with all that extra processing power and memory, plus no real bottlenecks or headaches like the PS3 architecture.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

It just means less time reinventing the wheel. Crytek and epic don't scrap all the progress they've made. They adapt and improve upon them.

The difference in opinion here versus the COD thread is startling. Granted the COD engine is older, but similar principles apply.

Either way if it leads to less dev time I'm all for it!

But we have seen how Infinity Ward has "improved" the engine - which is not much. People are just a lot more confident that Naughty Dog will be able to really upgrade the engine for nextgen. They also probably don't have to focus on making the engine work on the PS3 and PS4, so they can fully use all the power of the PS4.

Kind of bummed that they are not making a new one, but oh well. To be honest it's not fair if this doesn't get any flack and Call of Duty does in terms of principles.

CoD wouldn't get flack if it didn't resemble the current-gen game so much. When the teaser trailer for that leaked many people thought that it was the current-gen game. If the same happens with ND's first game then they'll be criticized as well.

Piggo

Feels like the smartest move. This thread reminded me of a post from this one;

When unbridled from the shackles of 720p, there aren't many games anywhere that rival Uncharted 3. An open world game with these quality of visuals would be something else.

screenshot_02242009_001526.png

screenshot_02242009_001307.png

screenshot_02242009_002445.png

screenshot_02242009_002735.png

screenshot_02242009_002941.png

9-yemen-chase-11.png

2-yemen-intro-market-1.png

9-yemen-chase-8.png

6-yemen-temple-well-1.png

The texturework in this game is really astounding.

Danielsan

PS4 Uncharted collection incoming!

Good to hear that they can port over the engine to the PS4. It's a fantastic engine and hopefully they can push it to new limits on the new hardware.

Afrikan

I'm sure the ICE Team is still working behind the scenes on a new engine to be ready in 2-3 years.

just wishful thinking. >_<

MilesVor

Banned
Pretty much. Switching to a new engine only makes sense if it's reducing development time or drastically improves performance.

ND is trained on that engine, it would be a complete waste to throw that away.

There is a downside though.
The engine is built for the PS3 architecture which is radically different from the x86 architecture.
Sure, they'll optimize it, but it would need significant rewriting to be "optimal" for the PS4.
Basically, they won't be able to truly push visuals on the PS4 too far until they rewrite or switch engine. I mean, it"ll still look nice, and it will look better than their PS3 games, but not by as much as graphics whores would like.

Top Bottom