• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every PS4 won't come bundled with an EyeToy after all? Image Inside.

The GDDR5 isn't going to cost anywhere near as much as you seem to believe it is; BOM estimates peg it at around $110~140. Dedicated GPU prices are what they are on the PC because there's a distinct lack of competition in the market.

Dedicated GPU's also have a significant profit margin built into the cost. How do you think Nvidia stays in business, after all?

Consoles are well known to be sold at either zero margin, or even a loss in some cases.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That, and aren't Research and Development costs huge on PC GPUs?

Initially, yeah, but they can stabilise to a fraction of that value. There are other factors to consider, though, such as Nvidia chasing a dragon in the form of struggling to reach Tegra performance promises and on the red side there's AMD's continued investment into its flailing CPU business.

Dedicated GPU's also have a significant profit margin built into the cost. How do you think Nvidia stays in business, after all?

Consoles are well known to be sold at either zero margin, or even a loss in some cases.

Precisely what I was implying. See also: Intel charging through the nose for a hex-core.

DBT85

No way that's true, GDDR5 will not be cheap to manufacture, its not as widely manufactured as dinky camera components. I don't think 8GB of GDDR5 equates to a 1080p camera at all. My graphics card alone costs more than a PS4 or Xbox One will cost, and it has a fraction of the PS4s RAM.

And when you got sold your graphics card you got taken to the cleaners, everyone took a huge chunk of money when you bought that, the same can't be said of consoles.

lol no. i doubt addtional 4Gigs of Ram will be higher than a stand alone camera hardware . so no.

The estimates are putting the ram at at least $100 so hard of that would be $50. If the new P's Eye costs even $25 for Sony I'd be absolutely stunned.

Top Bottom