• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every PS4 won't come bundled with an EyeToy after all? Image Inside.

Another reason for Devs to put "Better on Kinect" on the box. Optional means the majority won't bother to support it outside of mini-games and last-gen ports.

Sony should be packing it in. The tech cannot be that expensive, so they should have one in all packs and developers can choose to support it.

Good. I don't want it. Keep that nonsense on Xbox.

AOC83

Banned
Kinda weird choice. I totally expected it to be a part of the basic pack. Now developers cant 100% count on that camera being present in every system.

Fantastic. So they will spare us with implemented gimmick crap in their games.

Kyoufu

I disagree with the assumption. Seeing as this is an ad for the controller itself, I completely see this as saying "for games that need the camera, you won't get it when you buy only the controller." Which does not mean that the camera won't be packed into the system. It also covers their ass if you have to buy another camera down the line for some reason.

It's just saying that the camera and the controller aren't specifically sold together.

I don't think so. The video is showcasing a controller that comes with every PS4. Something everybody will be using. Then it says the camera is sold separately.

Majmun

I disagree with the assumption. Seeing as this is an ad for the controller itself, I completely see this as saying "for games that need the camera, you won't get it when you buy only the controller." Which does not mean that the camera won't be packed into the system. It also covers their ass if you have to buy another camera down the line for some reason.

It's just saying that the camera and the controller aren't specifically sold together.

Playstation®4 camera may be required and is sold seperately.

Sold seperately as in sold seperately

Can't spin this.

I had said a long time ago it would come packed in because every electronics device has a camera these days.

But I don't think I'll miss it if it isn't in there, I think we're still a generation away from playing graphically intense games while video chatting.

Drachma

Banned
Wonder if they're still deciding and are just playing it safe with that disclaimer.

Seems a bit pointless to NOT bundle it given the camera probably costs fuck all to make.

DBT85

Sold seperately as in sold seperately

Can't spin this.

Maybe they mean sold separately as in "included in the box, but if you break it you can buy another one"?

:p

I really wouldn't have minded it being in the box so long as it wasn't mandatory to connect it.

Liamario

Banned
There are non gaming benefits to having the camera. Video chat being the most obvious example.
It's perhaps indicative of Sony's feeling towards the camera, that packing it in isn't worthwhile for them.

AniHawk

So that they can release cheap gimmick games if they want. Kinect demonstrated that even a far more advanced camera has practically zero applications for 99% of all genres, and all you're left with is shitty dance games and mini-game compilations nobody ever wanted anyway, so what's left? Move titles? Well there were never many good Move games either, but at least this way we ALL won't be fronting the bill for a gimmick that is virtually pointless for most games.

i think with oculus rift support, some move/kinect stuff could be really fucking cool.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Some stupid fucking collector's edition with a bunch of hot garbage for $40 more than the regular game and liquidated for $10 a month later: PREORDER DAY ONE ETERNAL

Camera pack in for a few more bucks: Travesty! Casuals! Bullshit! Never buying, how can I afford this!

DieH@rd

Banned
only 3cm wider than Dualshock4... very small device. Sony cant spend more than ~30$ on this.
800mankjkjkdops4.jpg

vs

xbone-gifzbfm1.gif

We have too?

Sony had the PS eye since the PS2 days.

Yes the Eye predates the Kinect just like a Bicycle predates a Bugatti Veyron.

When you use a very limited variable set (like "thing moves body" and "time") you can claim anything, except the argument looks very foolish.

Amir0x

Banned
C'mon. You can see in Rift, the positioning of things. How you are holdin or aiming something. Plus rumble for collision. Not worthless.

without tactile feedback, that all is pointless fluff. Full VR of the direction you obviously want is not going to function until the day when you enter those worlds, your fingers can actually feel around and 'touch things' and get a sensation.

Dizzy

Banned
Yeah, which they brought back as a major focus clearly because of the Kinect.

Major focus? lol if its sold separately I think Sony will leave it to die like they did with Move and the PS3 camera.

To be honest I'm glad. Move was ok but I wouldn't want it to be pushed in so many games like kinect is, or have developers work on games that I would never care about.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514688&highlight=ps4+initial

This estimates that the PS4 Eye costs $12-$20. People thinking that this will result in a lower price are wrong, it'll just reduce the loss Sony takes on each console. It being packed in wouldn't raise the price either.

This is a ton of functionality that PS4 is losing. This Eye will never be supported well if it is not standard. I have a feeling a lot of people cheering this are just giving their knee-jerk reaction to change. For some reason a lot of hard-core gamers are against change.

AngryMoth

i think with oculus rift support, some move/kinect stuff could be really fucking cool.
Problem is you'd still need a controller in your hands for most games just for basic movement which complicates things a lot. I do agree though that the technologies are a lot more appealing when combined with the rift, but not sure whether its practical.

Morpork

I'm interested in using the streaming feature with a camera, but I wonder do I need the new camera or will the PS3's Eye work with it?

Also is streaming only available to friends, or can anyone view it?

Can't wait for E3!

Freki

When you use a very limited variable set (like "thing moves body" and "time") you can claim anything, except the argument looks very foolish.

You are right - the argument looks very foolish...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Much like Kinect usefulness.

Let's not pretend Kinect is some vital thing to gaming now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
two skus - the one you really want with nice big HDD will have the PSeye to jack the price up, just to piss you off :)

if they don't pack it in, then at least that lets us decide whether the benefits are worth buying it separately. For me it is just a pain to have any large cameras in front of my TV - my setup doesn't really allow for one to be permanently set up.

But I'd buy one for a new eyetoy for instance, my kids loved that.

Danj

Which means if a console is €399 in Europe, it should be £263 in the UK.

Back in 2007, the PS3 launched at €599 in Europe, £425 in the UK.
€399 would become £282.

This is why I think it'll be £299/€399. Dat ripoff Britain tax.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm kind of feeling this is going to be the case
but I still have a foolish hope that they do a TB bundle.

It makes perfect sense. The 500GB/PSEye model is the one that will match the Kinect/500GB XB1. I expect XB1 and PS4 premium model to be the same price, while Sony offer a cheaper camera-less/320Gb SKU which MS will not offer.

aceldama

Banned
Sure you can. It will not be packed in a box when you buy standalone controller. :) :D :lol

Exactly. This ad the screencap came from was for the controller, not the system. They are saying the camera is not included when you buy the controller.

Thank you jebus, I really don't want some shitty waggle cam that I'll NEVER use to up the price of the console (if I end up buying one, doubtful atm)

AngryMoth

It makes perfect sense. The 500GB/PSEye model is the one that will match the Kinect/500GB XB1. I expect XB1 and PS4 premium model to be the same price, while Sony offer a cheaper camera-less/320Gb SKU which MS will not offer.
My prediction is $400 gets you a 500GB hdd and 6 months ps+ (no ps eye), while $500 gets you 1TB, 6 months ps+, ps eye and maybe a pack in game. Maybe slightly optimistic

Top Bottom