• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scrolls Beta Thread: On my Beard ! Not the Elder ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuroNeeko

Faction specific. Maybe I just got lucky, but I got way more rares than commons.

Commons have a light border, uncommons have a darker border, and rares have an even darker border and some cracks on the card.

Yeah, I usually tell rarity by the number of cuts on the side of the card. If you open up a 10-scroll booster, the last three picks will be uncommon, uncommon, rare. That should give you a chance to see how the border differs for each type. I think another GAFfer said that there are more colored stripes depending on rarity - one for common, two for UC, and three for rare.

garath

I wish I could take a mulligan on my starter deck. I picked energy but I really liked Growth from the tutorial. I don't want to save up and then spend 6500 on a starter growth deck. Seems pointless.

Guess I'll just trudge through energy.

Only played a few easy AI matches just to get the feel for the game. I kinda like it. Good timing for release. Beat Hearthstone to the punch.

KuroNeeko

I won't. Not gonna give in to a greedy decision like that.

How is that greedy? Maybe he just wants to retain complete control over his product. Maybe he doesn't want his players tied to the whims of another corporation. Who knows what his line of thinking is; it's pretty unfair to just say greed.

edit: Wow, energy vs. energy matches take for-ev-ar.

Bought a 10-pack and had 6 growth spells. Both uncommons and rares were growth as well. :/ Feels bad, mayne.

-GJ-

How is that greedy? Maybe he just wants to retain complete control over his product. Maybe he doesn't want his players tied to the whims of another corporation. Who knows what his line of thinking is; it's pretty unfair to just say greed.

edit: Wow, energy vs. energy matches take for-ev-ar.

Bought a 10-pack and had 6 growth spells. Both uncommons and rares were growth as well. :/ Feels bad, mayne.

Maybe we could trade. I bought two boosters and some single scrolls so far and I play Growth.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I guess my question is how they support this going forward. It certainly doesn't seem to have the avenues for expansion Minecraft did/does.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm guessing that there will be rebalancing stuff, maybe new cards too, assuming they keep providing support along the way.

As long as running in Vista SP2 compatibility keeps the game working for me, I think it may be fun to play every so often. I started energy as well, and it does feel like it takes 4+ turns to get enough energy, at which point you may not have many cards. Being able to 2-shot idols (in one turn if you have the boost card) is cool if you can pull it off, though I imagine human opponents would block that pretty easily.

Wok

The beta is really buggy. Twice, the game froze and I had to brutally close the window. Yesterday, there were some problems connecting to Mojang. Now, I cannot even launch a trial.

I play Growth. When I go up against Energy players, things can get really ugly if they get a few artillery pieces out. I use lots of small creatures so if the Energy player can cover a decent amount of my board with cannon fire it's hard for me to get anything going. Also if they put up a Charge Coil behind some protection, that's very hard for a Growth player to deal with. Growth has to attack things from the front and doesn't have unit-removal cards to deal with something like that directly.

Oh, and if you can survive long enough to get an Iron Ogre out you'll be in pretty good shape.

Morokh

I wonder if I got shafted picking Energy. Growth seems like a far more solid deck from the very little I played.

Picked Energy too I feel it's a bit harder, but nothing too troubling.
Playing against Growth can be a pain if you don't have things to play in the first turns, but if you manage to settle your opponent is in big trouble.

garath

I play Growth. When I go up against Energy players, things can get really ugly if they get a few artillery pieces out. I use lots of small creatures so if the Energy player can cover a decent amount of my board with cannon fire it's hard for me to get anything going. Also if they put up a Charge Coil behind some protection, that's very hard for a Growth player to deal with. Growth has to attack things from the front and doesn't have unit-removal cards to deal with something like that directly.

Oh, and if you can survive long enough to get an Iron Ogre out you'll be in pretty good shape.

The only game I lost against AI (haven't done multiplayer yet) as energy so far was against a growth where somehow it ended up with like 4 white wolves and one had 7 strength and like 9 health. It one shot my iron ogre. I was just overwhelmed by tons of regenerating buffed wolves. It was ugly.

But I suppose that can happen with any of the factions.

The only game I lost against AI (haven't done multiplayer yet) as energy so far was against a growth where somehow it ended up with like 4 white wolves and one had 7 strength and like 9 health. It one shot my iron ogre. I was just overwhelmed by tons of regenerating buffed wolves. It was ugly.

Yeah, I went up against an Energy player last night as Growth and knocked over 2 of their idols pretty quickly, but then they turtled up on the bottom three rows and slowly obliterated all of my forces until I ended up losing. All those ranged attackers, and so strong, too. oneshotting all my stuff. By the end it was just sad.

Flooding the board with wolves seems like Growth's best endgame strategy. Great Wolf gets +1 attack for every other wolf on the board, so playing against Growth you'll want to take those out ASAP before their numbers build up. Same thing with Brotherhood of the Wolf since those guys can spit out a new wolf every 2 turns.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Someone should post this with a screenshot and some impressions in the current Indie games thread.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm enjoying the game so far, but I feel like it's lacking depth. I know I just started playing, but I keep seeing the same monsters and strategies over and over again.

Morokh

I'm enjoying the game so far, but I feel like it's lacking depth. I know I just started playing, but I keep seeing the same monsters and strategies over and over again.

Most of the people still play with preconstructed decks or slightly altered ones, the game will certainly open up a bit more as we go, the basic Energy and Growth decks already show some very good possible synergies for instance.

But I'll gladly agree that adding more cards on a regular basis should be one of their priority.

Yeah, it'll get dull if they don't continually add new cards. Supposedly a 4th faction is on the way.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That's good to hear. I'm using Order right now and basically just buffing my relentless dudes up so they mow down whatever the opponent spams the field with.

garath

There must not be that many cards yet. Just bought a scroll bundle and they were all cards I've seen before. Nothing that useful either.

Blizzard

Banned
The beta is really buggy. Twice, the game froze and I had to brutally close the window. Yesterday, there were some problems connecting to Mojang. Now, I cannot even launch a trial.
I had similar problems to start with. Are you running Avast? Try at least running Scrolls.exe in Vista SP2 compatibility mode.

Well I started with Growth but I really struggle when fighting the other 2 deck types. Although it would be very helpful if I had more White Wolves.

Anyway, I'm saving up for the energy deck now, because those turrets seem to be really powerful for crowd control and holding the board. It looks more fun to play with as well.

garath

Seems about right. Guess we're stuck with little variation till the cards start coming out. Shouldn't be long. If you want to maintain a game like this, need at least monthly "packs"

Well I started with Growth but I really struggle when fighting the other 2 deck types. Although it would be very helpful if I had more White Wolves.

Anyway, I'm saving up for the energy deck now, because those turrets seem to be really powerful for crowd control and holding the board. It looks more fun to play with as well.

I guess the grass is always greener :p

I guess the grass is always greener :p
I'll at least have Growth to fall back on if Energy turns out to be crap. I imagine Growth could be considerably better if I had a larger selection of cards to choose for my deck. It's probably a good idea to get all the starter decks as soon as possible, I imagine.

I just played a really fun game online where the opponent (Energy) killed 2 of my totems and got a third down to 2 HP before I did any damage to him, and I still came back.

I also started the game at a disadvantage because I clicked on the chat box and it ended my turn (since the chat box sits on top of the end-turn button). Watch out for that.

Gurrry

Won my first online match last night. Good feels man.

But honestly, I still dont know what Im doing with growth. I feel lost as far as strategies go. All I try and do is get all my best units out there and thats pretty much it.

I still cant find any tutorials or basic strategies for each deck... anyone know of a place to level up my game?

Won my first online match last night. Good feels man.

But honestly, I still dont know what Im doing with growth. I feel lost as far as strategies go. All I try and do is get all my best units out there and thats pretty much it.

I still cant find any tutorials or basic strategies for each deck... anyone know of a place to level up my game?

Going from personal experience, I thought the default Growth deck had too many spells/enchantments and not enough creatures to cast them on. So I added more creatures in to replace spells as I got them. Wolves are really good, as is Kinfolk Brave (attacks every turn) and Kinfolk Veteran (attacks the turn he comes out). I keep putting out more creatures and prioritize killing enemy units to gain board control.

Wok

I had similar problems to start with. Are you running Avast? Try at least running Scrolls.exe in Vista SP2 compatibility mode.

I will try the compatibility mode. My first guess is the game needs a reliable Internet connection, and mine is not all the time.

Gurrry

I noticed the lack of creatures in growth as well. Ive been trying to decide what cards to keep and which cards to throw out. Any suggestions?

I just played the AI with the strategy you mentioned before of getting as many wolves as possible + the great wolf. Seems like a solid strategy to get me started. Feels much better to play like this rather than just sticking random people on the board.

I played a few of the trials, and went and lost my first match against a real opponent. It was a close one though. I chose Growth. I think I need to unlock some more cards and tweak my deck a little. Pretty awesome game so far though.

Ken

Can I buy this game + shards with those Minecraft cards I see at Gamestop (assuming those cards are for Mojang points or whatever instead of just the Minecraft game; didn't look too closely).

Can I buy this game + shards with those Minecraft cards I see at Gamestop (assuming those cards are for Mojang points or whatever instead of just the Minecraft game; didn't look too closely).
I was wondering this too. Someone on the Scrolls forum said no, but that doesn't mean it's true. I kinda wanted to buy it with some GameStop credit, but just went ahead and did PayPal. They will probably start stocking Scrolls cards at GameStop before too long.

Ardvent

Decided to try and jump start my friend who was getting frustrated by giving him my 38 Order cards.

Now he's gone and quit the game claiming 'it's been a fucking waste of $20.' He just doesn't seem to properly understand how to build his deck. It's very frustrating to both of us and he's lost interest completely saying that, "Growth is the best and Order is useless." There really isn't any information about the three decks before you choose one.

Ken

I was wondering this too. Someone on the Scrolls forum said no, but that doesn't mean it's true. I kinda wanted to buy it with some GameStop credit, but just went ahead and did PayPal. They will probably start stocking Scrolls cards at GameStop before too long.

Can you buy shards with paypal?

Decided to try and jump start my friend who was getting frustrated by giving him my 38 Order cards.

Now he's gone and quit the game claiming 'it's been a fucking waste of $20.' He just doesn't seem to properly understand how to build his deck. It's very frustrating to both of us and he's lost interest completely saying that, "Growth is the best and Order is useless." There really isn't any information about the three decks before you choose one.

I've heard various people say "energy is the best" and "energy is the worst." I don't hear order talked about much, but I think it's more focused on card combos than the other two. When you stack your units right it's pretty deadly. I do think growth is pretty good though.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm planning on idling in the "Neogaf" chat channel if I have the game running late tonight, in case anyone wants some duplicate energy fire chain cards (I forget the name) in exchange for other basic energy cards. :p

The rate at which you earn more cards is pretty slow for a pay to play game. I wonder how much playtime it will take before you can play with a deck that's more than a slightly modified starter.

Also, it feels like the lack of colorless mana is going to hurt multicolored decks.

The rate at which you earn more cards is pretty slow for a pay to play game. I wonder how much playtime it will take before you can play with a deck that's more than a slightly modified starter.

Also, it feels like the lack of colorless mana is going to hurt multicolored decks.

Winning one game online gets you enough for 3 singles or about a third of a pack. I've been adding cards pretty quick.

I haven't experimented with a multicolor deck yet but lack of colorless might make it difficult. There are "memorial" cards though that give you resource for a different color. Those are probably important if you play a multicolor deck.

I'm planning on idling in the "Neogaf" chat channel if I have the game running late tonight, in case anyone wants some duplicate energy fire chain cards (I forget the name) in exchange for other basic energy cards. :p
I might be on later. Ill trade other sets for growth cards.

Plumpman

I'm an order player and can absolutely crush people when I get the combo's out.

Problem is stopping that early growth rush / map control...

Card Boy

Banned
I'm confused is the game F2P? The way TB talked at the start of the vid gave the impression the game is going to be F2P and all your doing by paying is getting early access? Or was TB just straight out wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom