• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Live 14 exclusive to PS4 & Xbox One

Nice article from GI.Biz

That feeds into another part of EA's plan for NBA Live 14. The game is coming to Xbox One and PlayStation 4, but skipping the current-generation consoles entirely. By focusing solely on the new consoles using the EA Sports Ignite engine, the hope is that the team will be able to focus on living up to those expectations and setting a foundation for the new generation rather than using resources to produce a technically inferior option on over-the-hill hardware. And as EA has experienced in the past, the gap between generations is a potential stumbling point for the competitors, and a chance to swing the momentum in a rivalry.

"If you look at Gen 3, that was the first large hiccup that NBA [Live] made," O'Brien said. "With NBA Live 06, there was a decision to rewrite a lot of technology and that put us in a position where we didn't have a full feature set and weren't able to provide our consumer with what they expected. 2K did a different approach and I think were able to gain significant momentum and overall product parity on us at that time. And they continued with a very strong direction, and EA has been trying to play catch-up ever since that moment. Whether that was reflected in revenue or consumer reaction, it was understood internally how strong of a game they've had for so long."

"2K did a different approach and I think were able to gain significant momentum and overall product parity on us at that time," said O'Brien to GamesIndustry International. "And they continued with a very strong direction, and EA has been trying to play catch-up ever since that moment."

Chamber

love on your sleeve
SAM-JACKSON-CLAPPING-GIF.gif

Hope they have more than CGI renders next week.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Man, if it looks as good as that CGI footage they showed at the MS event...

...then this game is gonna suck bad.

TriGen

Good idea. They've got no shot in a current-gen battle with 2k, so trying to draw some people in with a graphical edge on next-gen is at least something.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Really smart of EA.

Konami should have taken a page out of the same playbook and realized that the battle for this gen was already over. Not being ready at the start of a new console gen is insane.

games like nba 2k and mlb the show already look so good this gen, it's funny that the only real way to improve visuals is to make the audience look better at this point lol.

Its really smart to just brand NBA Live as the next gen basketball game, hopefully the game is good enough to justify the relaunch.

hackdog

Banned
Wow. This is going to shift a lot more consoles at christmas. It'll also sell a lot less but it's a big leg up for the new consoles.

rvy

Banned
A game that nobody wants to buy, for consoles that most people won't be able to afford during the first few months. A match made in heaven.

Thank God for 2k.

NBA 2k13 shipped 4.5M copies as of Feb 2013, a franchise record.
Just because you may not like sports doesn't mean that having sports property on your console is a bad thing.

His point is that Live is shit, not that people don't buy or like sports games.

jwhit28

2k's different approach was continuing on with the engine they already had and refining it over another generation. No sports game will get it all right the first time and Live won't be a serious contender for years.

Ramirez

I just hope they show actual gameplay next week, mostly for Madden, I don't really care about either bball game.

I find it odd that people seem to want the game to suck, good competition can only be positive.

bud23

Jesus Bynum next gen. Konami, take note. I fucking love 2k series (2k12 is the best basketball game ever) but competition is always a good thing.

jwhit28

One thing EA easily does better than 2k though is the online aspects. If EA can bring the same online features they have for the NHL games to the NBA it would go a long ways towards closing the gap. Gameplay-wise there is no way they could go from 0 to matching 2k in 1 try.

I don't know how many years I completely gave up on 2k's online features.

Top Bottom