• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS4 - $429/$529 models/ Online paywall/ DRM left to publishers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted by Thuway
I want GAF to prepare for the worst, so I'm going to put this out here right now:

PlayStation World will be a tiered premium service. Most likely paywall will be there. Still unclear if the most basic functions aren't behind a pay wall, but MOST features will be.

Price of the system should be $429 low end-- $529 (larger hd + camera + better finishing?).

I know its been posted before, but it's mostly right. If you are ok with the price, everything else should make you happy.

This information is a bit old and NOTHING new has come. I know Bruce is on the case trying to figure things out as well, but I think there will be an online play paywall. The tiered plan I am hearing will be-

A. Basic online play / cross game chat / streaming. (30 a year)

B. All of A. + PS Plus discounts / games (60 a year)

C. Gaikai Streaming (100 dollars a year)

Numbers were guesses, and this info is from a week AFTER PS Meeting.

Disclaimer: This info was originally reported by Kotaku, Thuway has simply heard the same info. It may have changed since then, we can only hope.

Update 1
And Kagari says she has heard recently, opposing information
Basic online play is still free AFAIK.

Update 2
thuway recants his initial statements
----- thuway is stupid and speaks out of ignorance with old information.

Everything I said has been shut down. I will edit the posts. Bird will shut up now.

Panic over?

Tuck

Hope its not true. I will not pay for online under any circumstances, especially since the PSN on PS3 was free.

Also letting publishers decide DRM means their system is just as bad as Microsoft.

This rumor does not please me.

Skilletor

Hope its not true. I will not pay for online under any circumstances, especially since the PSN on PS3 was free.

Also letting publishers decide DRM means their system is just as bad as Microsoft.

And is currently free on Vita. How would that work?

How do they make me pay for a service I get for free on two of their other platforms?

Raonak

Banned
no.... not like this.

that's gonna be extremely jarring if my vita has free online and crossgmae chat while ps4 doesn't.

Ugh oh, I hardly play online but when I want to I don't think I should have to pay extra...just build it into the price of each game.

After giving Sony a chance for the first time with PS3 and it's a great system glad I did, I don't see myself getting a PS4 if it's going to be shitty and at a high price.

Glad I have my Wii U for now. Come on Sony don't let us down!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
$100 a year is a bit steep.

But $60 a year with all the PS+ features would be cool with me.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
If true then Sony can shove the PS4 where the Sun don't shine right along with MS and the Xbox One. That simple.

God dammit Sony.

I know why you're doing it but now. Keep basic online play free, charge everything else.

UGH. THIS INDUSTRY.

edit: Going to feel great streaming on Twitch tonight FOR FREE.

isn't that the same now?

If Gaikai actually gives you access to a lot of stuff included in that 100 a year, thats not so bad. If all games cost money on top of that, then no thanks. The no free online play is horse shit though. Also DRM left to publishers sucks. It's not surprising, but I guess this is the world we live in now. le sigh

Also letting publishers decide DRM isn't necessarily the same as MS. XBO has DRM natively built into the system that prevents lending and renting. We will see what Sony does in this regard. I don't have a whole lot of confidence though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think you will have a premium sku at 499/529.

I don't like them charging for online play. I think it's crappy. I do have PS+ so I guess it won't affect me but that's super crappy.

Theorymon

Yikes, paywall for online gaming... It's not a deal breaker for me since I play a lot of single player games, but it'd probably mean that all my multiplayer gaming would be on PC / Wii U / 3DS / Vita =/

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Mixed reactions to the potential. It's not as expensive as XBL for the basic package and the upper tiers are ok as long as they are optional. If I end up getting one then I may actually look into the upper tiers if it's enticing enough.

Either way we shall see.

Erimriv

Online Pay wall. DRM up to publishers.

itpITfWda0GKp.gif

No next gen console gaming for me.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
hmmmmm

What is the difference between A. Streaming and C. streaming?

I have a hard time believing they would start charging for basic online play (especially since vita does not)

I can see them charging for PS+ (like normal though) and most features awesome crazy features tied behind that.

dionysus

Yaldog
If true, these companies really want me to be PC and handheld only next gen. I was planning on that anyway but the decision is just being reinforced.

lefantome

cross game chat is voice game chat between 3+ people right?

streaming must be free if you upload few videos. all the streaming services on the internet are free and sony does nothing.

Pandemic

I really hope Sony stick to what they did with the PS3, had PS+ available but didn't intrude on the things that should be free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom