• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One vs Steam | How the two are actually very different

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
I wish people would stop suggesting that the Xbox One's new gaming management is essentially the same as Steam. It isn't. Hopefully we can use this thread to highlight just some of the reasons why.

---

Some of the differences between Steam and Xbox One.

- Steam isn't a closed platform. You don't need a particular box to use it.
- Steam works on any PC or laptop, long after a generation of new hardware, even two, or three.
- Steam allows you to download the game an unlimited number of times on any number of computers.
- Steam has far superior prices and sales.
- The basic RRP for a PC game is less than that of a console game, with Steam, usually cheaper.
- Steam is primarily a digital download service, with less emphasis on actual physical retail discs
- Steam allows for complete offline play. No check ins at all once a game is downloaded.

---

Feel free to add points or further elaborate.

Steam is DRM!
Steam doesn't have a monopoly on it's own market. You can still buy Steam games from Amazon and GMG.
PC have alternatives to steam to choose from including: GOG and Origins

lenovox1

All have had good OPs, all have been locked without comment.

Probably because they're not super conducive to conversation. People end up yelling past each other, parroting the same talking points. It'd probably be best to have a thread like this after all the dust has settled.

eot

Banned
Steam is DRM!
Steam doesn't have a monopoly on it's own market. You can still buy Steam games from Amazon and GMG.
PC have alternatives to steam to choose from including: GOG and Origins

Steam isn't DRM, it has DRM features built in which are enabled on a per game basis. Lots of Steam games don't have DRM, you can launch them without launching Steam.

nib95

Banned
Probably because they're not super conducive to conversation. People end up yelling past each other, parroting the same talking points. It'd probably be best to have a thread like this after all the dust has settled.

Well seeing as how a particular band of "posters" (I use the term loosely) use the "XO is basically Steam" line of argument, I thought it important we get some more discussion on it.

Wonder why it got locked? :(

jtb

Banned
Its used as a comparison because of no resale rights parallel. I don't even get why this is such a big point... Basically all digital goods can't be resold so the line in the sand was crossed many years ago.

Another thing that seems to be forgotten by the "b-but Steam" people is the huge difference between the PC market(at the time that Steam rose to prominence) & the console market, Steam improved the DRM situation(for PC gamers) whilst MS are forcing a worse form of DRM to its customers.

nib95

Banned
Its used as a comparison because of no resale rights parallel. I don't even get why this is such a big point... Basically all digital goods can't be resold so the line in the sand was crossed many years ago.

I appreciate that, but there's a lot more to it than just that. It's all about value proposition. If you take away someone's right to resell their games, you have to offer other benefits and advantages back which make up for it and replace the value, some of which I've outlined in the OP.

OP, please feel free to add:

- Steam doesn't allow you to trade in your old games

- Steam requires you to download every game using your Internet bandwidth

Just a couple of differences I noticed you had missed there. Unless you have an agenda?

mr_toa

Having used the service for a time, here's what I've come to consider on a few of your bullets:

Steam isn't a closed platform - Steam is very much a closed platform. Valve controls the contents, the T&C's, the offered service, the availability and 100% controls access to your library.

Steam isn't DRM - Steam is very much DRM. The purpose of STEAM is to provide an online-only store front and delivery system, where Valve alone controls and manages the rights to and availability of the digital content you've purchased.

While Steam is very far from the complete mess Microsoft has proposed for the XB 1, anyone thinking that Steam isn't a closed ecosystem with tight reins on your digital content via DRM is just kidding themselves.

If a mod locks this thread, can they point us to a non-locked thread (that can be bumped) discussing this, or at least state why a thread covering this subject is not allowed?

The argument 'XBox One is just like Steam' keeps coming up, it's easier to point to a thread than retyping the same points over and over. Thanks.

Having used the service for a time, here's what I've come to consider on a few of your bullets:

Steam isn't a closed platform - Steam is very much a closed platform. Valve controls the contents, the T&C's, the offered service, the availability and 100% controls access to your library.

Steam isn't DRM - Steam is very much DRM. The purpose of STEAM is to provide an online-only store front and delivery system, where Valve alone controls and manages the rights to and availability of the digital content you've purchased.

While Steam is very far from the complete mess Microsoft has proposed for the XB 1, anyone thinking that Steam isn't a closed ecosystem with tight reins on your digital content via DRM is just kidding themselves.

The difference is you can buy Steamworks games from many other outlets, at prices much lower than Steam. You can pretty much preorder every single Steamworks $50 game for $36.50 on GMG and may even get it for less on other sites. I was able to get Tomb Raider day 1 for $26.00. Also, quite a few games on Steam can be ran without Steam.

Trey

We don't know the actual price of X1 games, and X1 is basically a digital download service itself. You don't play any games from the disc, and every release has same day DD.

Your third and last points are the most cogent. MS really needs to make it so you can carry your games over to the next system.

- Steam works on any PC or laptop, long after a generation of new hardware, even two, or three.
This could be true for the XB1 as well if they stick to x86 architecture.

- Steam allows you to download the game an unlimited number of times on any number of computers.
Isn't this the case for XB1?

- Steam is primarily a digital download service, with less emphasis on actual physical retail discs
Irrelevant?

RS4-

$20 games with no resale value is better than 60+ tax and getting shafted on trying to get rid of the thing.

nib95

Banned
You can give your account to your friend, I guess

Even though game sharing is not necessarily permitted, yes, you can do exactly that. A friend or relative could just log on using your steam details and download the games, a bit like PSN game sharing now.

Irrelevant?

Not irrelevant. I don't buy physical games so they can be treated like digitally downloaded one's. The only authoring required should be on the disc itself. That's why I buy physical, to avoid these sort of pit falls, which I appreciate others care less about that. I don't like the idea of specifically partnered trade in stores, no buying or selling privately, caps on lending and borrowing etc, that's why I buy physical.

What Microsoft is trying to do is turn physical in to digital, whilst offering us even less value proposition.

I think it's also worth it to mention that Steam is trending towards being platform neutral. You can buy Civilization V on the PC and have it work on your Mac. Left 4 Dead 2 initially came out as a Windows only game but was recently been ported to Mac and Linux. If you bought a copy of Left 4 Dead 2 all those years ago, the Linux version is is available to you at no additional cost.

Microsoft hasn't even made the effort to carry XBLA games forward to the XBone but Steam has games on it from as far back as the early 90's that work on modern systems.

If a mod locks this thread, can they point us to a non-locked thread (that can be bumped) discussing this, or at least state why a thread covering this subject is not allowed?

The argument 'XBox One is just like Steam' keeps coming up, it's easier to point to a thread than retyping the same points over and over. Thanks.
The problem with threads like this is the agenda of the OP. He fails to point out the positive differences of XB1 vs Steam, and instead only the negatives. There are pros and cons to both services that should all be listed for a more fair and balanced discussion.

Oh good, disc sales being compared to digital sales because who the fuck cares about the main reason there's a controversy, better just compare them lol

Fixed1979

OP, please feel free to add:

- Steam doesn't allow you to trade in your old games

Just a couple of differences I noticed you had missed there. Unless you have an agenda?

The thread is called how they are different...Your second point isn't valid. You can buy a physical copies and install from the disc.

Doesn't that violate the Steam terms of service?

No. Selling your account violates the service. Valve hasn't really stepped forward and offered it's stance on giving your account away. But it's not like Valve is going to know anyhow. Also realize that it's possible for you to let your friend log into your account, download games, go into offline mode, then you can log into Steam from your computer and play your games.

Sentenza

The problem with threads like this is the agenda of the OP. He fails to point out the positive differences of XB1 vs Steam, and instead only the negatives. There are pros and cons to both services that should all be listed for a more fair and balanced discussion.
It's an obsession for you, isn't it?

I also have no idea of what this is supposed to mean:
Ehr, of course, if you are downloading a digital purchase you need to use your bandwidth to do it... Your point?

The thread is called how they are different...
And, those are two differences the OP missed. I'm missing your point.
It's an obsession for you, isn't it?
Ooh, i said agenda twice!! I'll be honest, I'm getting tired if seeing these DRM arguments as DRM doesn't bother me.

There will be a shit ton if awesome PS4 and One games shown next week and at this rate all anyone will be talking about is the DRM policies of both machines.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Thing I've always hated about steam is that no more then 1 person can be logged into a steam account at any time. For anyone with more then 1 gamer in the house this is a pain in the ass. I've taken to buy as many games off steam as I can for this reason.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I can't really add more but what I like is not just necessarily tied to Steam but the entirety of the meaning that encompasses PC gaming.

It's not even tied to just 1 app but the heaps of benefits that PC gaming gets you so I can't really make a list too long to show those overwhelming advantages PC gaming brings. So this brings me to my point....

Steam is a part of the whole pie chart included in PC's. With that brings all the advantages including things like Steam specific features. Steam Workshop, tradings cards, trading in general, gifting, I can go on.......

Steam is not just backed by a great set of features but also by the vast backbone of PC programs and modifications that can enhance the richness of an already robust Steam platform.

Thing I've always hated about steam is that no more then 1 person can be logged into a steam account at any time. For anyone with more then 1 gamer in the house this is a pain in the ass. I've taken to buy as many games off steam as I can for this reason.

This limitation doesn't apply even all the way to general PC gaming but on Steam, you have an account system. It's no different in that regard to PSN or XBL but the canyon of difference in my original message still stands.

I'm not really involved in all the recent moral outrage with the xbone, but the relationship between steam and my consoles for me is simple: I like having a console because I can sometimes play new, full-priced games that I'm excited about by getting them through gamefly. If the new consoles aren't offering that, the only reason I would have to buy them is a lot of genuinely amazing exclusives and I don't think either of them can deliver it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom