• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

GwG is, at least IMO, an added bonus TO Live Gold, not a reason FOR subscribing.

Its both. Many people don't play a lot of online games but may still pay for the sub because of the value add. Ive seen your argument with regards to PS+ as well, but the bottom line is fluctuating quality of the games on each service has a discernible effect on perceived value.

jesu

Doubt it will be Limbo. The devs of that game want to make money by porting their game to next gen. Already the day one peeps are getting it free, makes no sense to make it free for everyone else too.

MS pay for the GWG and free games the give away.

danowat

Banned
Its both. Many people don't play a lot of online games but may still pay for the sub because of the value add. Ive seen your argument with regards to PS+ as well, but the bottom line is fluctuating quality of the games on each service has a discernible effect on perceived value.

I pay paid for Gold for many years prior to GwG, I pay for Gold, primarily, for multiplayer, anything else I get on top is a bonus.

I understand others don't see it this way, but GwG was something that was added to the gold subscription, fairly recently.

Tesseract

Banned
For a beat-em-up the main protagonist has extremely wooden attack animations. I personally couldnt get into it for that reason. It felt like a regression to the days of altered beast.

it's more like ghouls and ghosts in that you are locked into moves once you make them. like monster hunter, dark souls, so on. it demands deliberation.

RulkezX

I pay paid for Gold for many years prior to GwG, I pay for Gold, primarily, for multiplayer, anything else I get on top is a bonus.

I understand others don't see it this way, but GwG was something that was added to the gold subscription, fairly recently.

It's a pretty big part of perceived value now , especially when MS are sending out flagship first party games using peer2peer for multiplayer.

JaggedSac

This isn't about "entitlement." This is about whether or not XBL is a good value-proposition. It sounds like the way you interpret the social/economic contract between buyer/seller is backwards. Its up to MS to compete and make their service enticing enough for people to continue paying for the subscription. Like it or not, PS+ changed the equation and now people who subscribe expect monthly games along with net access. Both services have had their ups and downs over the past few months. A month of Limbo and whatever the hell #IDARB is would be one of the lowest values months yet.

That's why one shouldn't pay for monthly random smatterings of games.

Remark

Banned
This isn't about "entitlement." This is about whether or not XBL is a good value-proposition. It sounds like the way you interpret the social/economic contract between buyer/seller is backwards. Its up to MS to compete and make their service enticing enough for people to continue paying for the subscription. Like it or not, PS+ changed the equation and now people who subscribe expect monthly games along with net access. Both services have had their ups and downs over the past few months. A month of Limbo and whatever the hell #IDARB is would be one of the lowest values months yet.
But most people buy XBL/PS+ to play online. Why you would spend money on either for their free game offerings is beyond me. They're mainly looked at as a bonus to having said subscription but you do you man.

Nephtes

At work so I can't test this, but browsing the Xbox Smartglass app on my phone at lunch, I saw that Ryse Son of Rome says "Play on Xbox" on the button instead of "Purchase for $49.99" or whatever...

I've never purchased Ryse before...
Xbox Live glitch or Games With Gold gone early?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
At work so I can't test this, but browsing the Xbox Smartglass app on my phone at lunch, I saw that Ryse Son of Rome says "Play on Xbox" on the button instead of "Purchase for $49.99" or whatever...

I've never purchased Ryse before...
Xbox Live glitch or Games With Gold gone early?

I've seen that before with other games. I think it will either do nothing or ask you to buy it if you press.

VanWinkle

But most people buy XBL/PS+ to play online. Why you would spend money on either for their free game offerings is beyond me. They're mainly looked at as a bonus to having said subscription but you do you man.

PS+ is easily worth it to anybody who loves to play a lot of games, regardless of whether they need it for online. Why do you think so many people swore by it here long before it was required for online play with PS4?

Chris1

That said, chariot is an unexpectedly charming game. Really liked it. Everything else has been shite.
Max was quite good, really enjoyed that. That's been the only game I liked.

I don't think it'll be Limbo or IDARB though, hopefully with PS4 giving away retail games we get one too. DR3 is basically the only "old" game that's not going on sale on the black friday sales so I hope it'll be that, not setting myself up for disappointment or anything here...

It'll be crimson dragon

If they are giving retail, I think Forza5 is a good choise. Not only one of the best aelling games (which mean less lost sales) but also is curently under a sick discount, so less lost sales.

For a person, like myself, that very rarely plays online multiplayer the older I get GwG is the value add for XBL. I can't remember the last time I played an Xbox game competitively online with anyone.,,

I hope it's not #idarb. It doesn't look like something I would enjoy.

Last month was a write-off for me, because I'm not a masochist (Volgarr) and had already downloaded Chariot although it's not all that interesting. (Haven't played it, because I need to get a second controller and friend)

Remark

Banned
PS+ is easily worth it to anybody who loves to play a lot of games, regardless of whether they need it for online. Why do you think so many people swore by it here long before it was required for online play with PS4?
True I guess. The thing is though during the PS3 days online was (is) free. PS+ at that time was only really for the free games you got out of the service. With the Xbox, Gold has always been for online multiplayer since it's inception, Games with Gold is still a somewhat new service that MS threw in as a bonus. You can obviously see that MS is not pouring a bunch or resources for this so I don't really can't GwG being a big part in buying gold because all I see it as is an extra thing on top with having of course the ability to play online.

UraMallas

Last month was a write-off for me, because I'm not a masochist (Volgarr) and had already downloaded Chariot although it's not all that interesting. (Haven't played it, because I need to get a second controller and friend)

In the same boat. These GwG are making me yawn.

NoPiece

For all the huge moves Microsoft has been making at retail to drive hardware, it's weird they are choking on Gold. They should be going all out for December (and should have done better for Nov) to convert people and create more excitement around their ecosystem and get people subscribing.

Krilekk

Banned

You can play Chariot with one controller in singleplayer. It's not a multiplayer game.

Worms?

I guess that's cool. Was kind of hoping MS might step it up and give us a retail title from the launch line up, but Worms is cool as well.

I know, but I heard it's a bit of a pain in single player and is much better in co-op. That said, I don't even know if I really care to play it.

No way, it's not at all frustrating playing solo. It's better playing with someone (most games are), but it's not an absolute requirement to enjoy the game.

I love Chariot. Such a charming and slow paced platformer. Makes for a nice change of pace from your average games.

ryan299

I'm not going to be surprised at all when it's only one new game. Chariot will probably stay around. Hopefully they pick two new games and ones that aren't platformers. Last couple of months have sucked.

I'm not going to be surprised at all when it's only one new game. Chariot will probably stay around. Hopefully they pick two new games and ones that aren't platformers. Last couple of months have sucked.

Viking is pretty decent, tough as nails though. Game doesn't seem to save your progress, which is kind of annoying, but I guess that's part of the appeal? Trying to recapture the old arcade style of gameplay?

Top Bottom