• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

Exactly. What if people were saying "Man, Microsoft won't change their mind at all! They have DRM, no used games, etc., and that's how it is, we shouldn't do anything, because if we did, nothing will change anyway."?

Customer-driven feedback over an issue of concern led directly to Sony delivering a satisfactory answer for a huge victory.

Nintendo going region-free would be a big win for the most passionate platform ambassadors and bring in more customers from the sidelines.

Every time a system's pros and cons are listed, the presence of region-locking is always a con. It doesn't help to sell any platform, only the opposite.

skull kid

Would they need to make the Wii "emulator" region-free separate from the Wii U? Being able to play a few Wii games that never came over would get me on board with this.

I'll probably throw the tweets out anyway for Cheesemeister, since he does so much for us. <3

the only Wii japan-only title I'd really want to get is Zangeki No Reginleiv, looks really fun. Region free DS has been a godsend though..just got Radiant Historia for 24 $ (from HK), can't wait to play it.

Keyouta

Customer-driven feedback over an issue of concern led directly to Sony delivering a satisfactory answer for a huge victory.

Nintendo going region-free would be a big win for the most passionate platform ambassadors and bring in more customers from the sidelines.

Every time a system's pros and cons are listed, the presence of region-locking is always a con. It doesn't help to sell any platform, only the opposite.

With the DS, region free played a huge part in the success of many of the games. I do not think it would have gotten to 150 million without it. It's really weird that they have their best-selling system ever not locked, but follow it up with a locked system.

Also, not many people import games compared to those who buy locally, so one of the arguments of "people will just import for cheaper prices" doesn't hold.

I really don't see how it could do any negative damage to Nintendo as a brand, company, or to their consoles, as it only helps in sales of a game. If x game isn't coming out of Japan/whatever region, and people are importing it or downloading it from outside of Japan, that just helps sales.

IrishNinja

That's never gonna happen.

again, so long as that's the response, sure

Club Nintendo feedback too. Apparently they read that a lot.

oh man, i use these things for all kindsa stuff...improve VC, put up earthbound, etc! don't know why i didn't think to include this on there, will from now on.

I can't disagree with that. You are right in that but I have come to terms that I buy a Nintendo for Nintendo games only so know that I will get the goods I want. Personally would rather an account system above region free at this stage.

sure, but it's not an either/or - they need to get on that account system if they want me/others to feel safe buying more full retail titles. i also wanna present region-free as another way to collect money on the table as well.

haha...first post as always

wasn't helpful or that funnyy tho

Eusis

Not gonna happen, sorry.
Seconding, or if it happens you're going to have to wait for a new generation of hardware. The systems are already out, and I kind of expect they're set up in a way that requires a lot of overhauling to allow proper region free, so it's simply not worth wasting money with when they need to get the Wii U to be successful period, and importing is mainly a niche.

I still threw a Yeah in, but that basically requires no effort anyway.

AzaK

Done Cheese, but man, getting Nintendo to do anything is futile. Especially this, which means them letting go of some control of their distribution. It just won't happen.

Mr-Joker

Banned
To anyone thinking that this is pointless remember Europe used Miiverse to complain about the Wii U Virtual Console games being in 50hz and guess what Nintendo actually listened. We also used Miiverse to get Earthbond on the US and European Wii U Virtual Console, again it actually worked.

Maybe Nintendo might listen and just ignore it or they could do two things make the Wii U and 3DS region free or actually localize the games themselves like what they are doing with Bravely Default.

damaph

Can someone explain the advantages of having a region locked system? If someone is going to buy the game why does it matter from where?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
A defeatist attitude never accomplished anything! Let's make it happen!

Also, tell them to reprint Xenoblade (more feasible) while you're at it, cheddar!
I'll be joining your crusade.

#ReprintXenoblade @Nintendo @NintendoAmerica @NintendoEurope @NintendoUK @NintendoES

Dr Dogg

Any 3DS cart will fit into any 3DS, it just won't show up on the menu. I'd imagine it's the same deal on Wii U. We're past the cartridge slot tabs to something that's not worked around so easily.

Firmware. Ironically it used to be hardware (cartridge slots slightly different but possible to work around with DIY or adaptors) between Japan and America. Europe always had chips...(heck, when NES came out in Europe there were two regions)

Well then you got my support. Even if we just gain an acknowledgement it's better that sitting idly by. As a European, region locking has been a stupid and unjustifable burden I've had to endure my whole gaming life. I though we had turned the corner with the GBA, PSP, DS and PS3 but alas...

Doczu

Well, I registered some games yesterday and in the comment section I wrote about going region-free. Nothing much, but everything helps, right? Also, i'm sick of spamming Nintendo mails. Never got an anwser about starting Club Nintendo for Poland. Now we don't even have a distributor :(

Meelow

Banned
Can we do this? It worked for Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo isn't as stubborn as they used to be, I think we could get the Wii U to be region free.

I could live with this. A completely region-free future in the gaming industry would finally be something that fully caters to my gaming habbits.

Azure J

Cheese, I was already on this train with you on Twitter, is there anything specific (hashtag) you're using though?

Edit: Just caught all the info from the OP, will do right now.

ASIS

What are you guys on about? In these past few years people made operation rainfall work. This can too especially with the new MS news.

If MS can change, Nintendo can change, I can change, YOU can change

rocky4-2-760821.jpg

EVERYBODY CAN CHANGE!

Operation Rainfall ending up working pretty well in the end and it looks like Monolith got a lot more recognition out of it. We are seeing that we are not just a bunch of whiny gamers on the internet. We do have some power.

Operation Rainfall and Earthbound did show that Nintendo does listen.

The bigger question is if there are enough people that care to make their concerns heard.

Somnid

Nintendo does listen to their consumers if they make a big enough noise. Not enough people care about region locking, sadly.

Rainfall, PAL 60Hz, Earthbound, 1080up etc. I can't see how anyone can say otherwise. People just literally don't care.

Meelow

Banned
Nintendo did show that they do listen when it gets enough complaints, we just have to keep pushing for this.

The Investor Meeting is next week so if we make a huge push they could announce it at the Investor Meeting if they wanted to that they will end region locking.

Top Bottom