• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

Can someone give me a summary?

Do we know for certain that it would not be possible to use the console in a country that is not on the list at launch? No workaround, etc?

AmFreak

They updated the map:

8ggrNDx.png

GQman2121

Banned
I can only assume that they have a small building full of people with MBAs and PhDs that have done the math on a release strategy such as this and know what they're in for. That's the only thing that makes sense. Because on paper, this seems fucking absurd.

I know Africa is not a priority to them, but there are gamers there. And there are expats there that are doing work to make life better for those who need help. To think people (my colleagues) will not even have the opportunity to get XBoned because of their internet speed is one thing. But to just cut those gamers off completely seems insane to me.

This is easily the craziest thing to come out of e3 yet.

Jomjom

Banned
First Kinect can't detect African-Americans and now they completely ignore Africa...

Also, the PS4 map above should also add Antarctica.

I know Africa is not a priority to them, but there are gamers there. And there are expats there that are doing work to make life better for those who need help. To think people (my colleagues) will not even have the opportunity to get XBoned because of their internet speed is one thing. But to just cut those gamers off completely seems insane to me.

This is easily the craziest thing to come out of e3 yet.

Isn't one of the Joystiq guys living in South Africa?

Xpliskin

so MS is skipping asia for an entire year ?

I'm worried their stubbornness will bring them into trouble.

By the way:

Toto - Africa
Thanks for those lyrics !

fred

Does anyone think they're doing this on purpose..? They seem to be going out of their way to make this console a flop. I can't see any benefit to them in killing a console before it's even launched but all of this is looking like they're doing their best to do so.

Any conspiracy theorists in the house..?

Or are Microsoft's decision makers just a few sandwiches short of a picnic..?

Ifrit

I can't wait for all the gifs all of this will bring us.

But seriously though, what the fuck were they thinking with these decisions! Jesus Christ MS get it together

:(

Alucrid

Banned
Does anyone think they're doing this on purpose..? They seem to be going out of their way to make this console a flop. I can't see any benefit to them in killing a console before it's even launched but all of this is looking like they're doing their best to do so.

Lol console conspiracy theorists. Jesus...

MCD

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2040024/microsoft-should-sell-bing-xbox-divisions-says-analyst.html

Only explanation I could think of.

The_Monk

I thought could be localisation issue but it's weird that even brazil gets on the map but not portugal?

To be fair, the did not even bother to translate the Xbox 360 Dashboard in Portuguese (PT-PT) it was always Brazilian portuguese (PT-BR) fellow GAFfer.

My internet is great and I do not pay that much. Optic Fiber is getting almost in every place in here too.

NHale

"All in One, Input One" looks so appropriate right now. Unfortunately not the way MS desired.

But sure Don, I would move if I ever want to buy your console. Sure pal. And people wonder why Sony and Nintendo have a 95% market share in Portugal. I wonder why....

fertygo

Someone ask Major Nelson about this please.

There's no way country like Singapore not allowed to import the console.

The enhanced TV functionality has been only confirmed for the US.

So a major selling point of the Xbone is unavailable (or extremely limited) outside of the US.

spons

Gold Member
The enhanced TV functionality has been only confirmed for the US.

So a major selling point of the Xbone is unavailable (or extremely limited) outside of the US.
Just like the 360 then? Live has so little services available outside the US, it's just insane.

Mikey Jr.

Wait, I don't understand. Only works in some countries at launch? The fuck does that mean? What is stopping the other countries from playing exactly?

MCD

It is true, the whole world could hear Phil Spencer say at the press conference that they would only be launching in 21 markets in November.

Launching, yes.

Again, the only question is: IP lock or not? That's what matters.

Anyone can use fake accounts from anywhere to play on X360.

fertygo

It is true, the whole world could hear Phil Spencer say at the press conference that they would only be launching in 21 markets in November.

That doesn't mean console not working if its got shipped to somewhere, what the fuck.

All my console are from NA region yet I'm so far from there.

Singapore is safe.
My country still fucked lol if the console actually refuse to work.

Morthas

Neo Member
A product which I can only use where and when the company allows it... Unbelievable. This thing should be retail poison.

Sblargh

Banned
I thought could be localisation issue but it's weird that even brazil gets on the map but not portugal?

Brazil might be a bigger market, considering both that we have moar ppls and how widespread X360 piracy is. (and in Brazil, the console with piracy will win the race... or not, that reality may be shifting)

Maybe Microsoft knows about our plans to create a portuguese-speaking empire by anexing other such countries via cunning diplomacy and soap opera subliminal messages. If this happens, Angola and Senegal might be getting the Xbone before South Africa.

Amo todos vocês, irmãos. É tudo piada.

RobbieH

Wait.

So, say somebody in Poland imports an Xbox One and some games from the UK. Even if they have a rock solid internet connection the games simply won't activate because they're not in one of the 21 specified countries? Really?

Why the fuck is this not being covered by every site?

Top Bottom