• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 4.45 coming - Trophy notification toggle [Warning: Update bricking PS3s?]

Amir0x

Banned
bricking PS3s!?

Why is this good shit always a goddamn TRAP!

Good thing I always keep auto update disabled

Edit 2: Imagine if this was Xbox One. Tsc tscv

it stays at 99% for a good two or three minutes.

don't touch it, allow it to reach 100%

Problem with FW 4.45?:
* No

HDD:
* 120 GB

PS3 type:
* Slim 1

PS3 Region:
* US/Canada

Replicant

looks like it's bricking for anyone with HDDs larger than 500GB from what the survey says here.

I should probably have asked how many GBs are left on people's HDD too in case the availability of the GBs left can affect performance.

it stays at 99% for a good two or three minutes.

don't touch it, allow it to reach 100%

I'll keep that in mind if I'm tempted to update mine. But yeah, most updates have this weird mechanism where it'll stall for a 2-3 minutes at certain percentage, then after that it just restarts and voila, it's finished.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Good thing I was watching the NBA finals and didn't update. Will turn off PS+ auto update now.

HardRojo

Sony's pulled the update.
Just logged in and it didn't ask for an update before logging on PSN and it also says I'm using the latest firmware so yeah, they already know but man people are going to be pissed tomorrow.

I should probably have asked how many GBs are left on people's HDD too in case the availability of the GBs can affect performance.

I doubt it. I upgraded from 120GB to 1TB less than two months ago, and have only installed a few things since then. I highly doubt I've used up more than, say, half the drive so far, even with my PS Plus download sprees.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Update should be pulled, I don't think it should prompt you but I can't test it since i"m updated

baekshi

Banned
Glad I was playing Last of Us. I have a 1TB, guess I'll have to be careful downloading the next patch also just in case.

Sony's pulled the update.
Just logged in and it didn't ask for an update before logging on PSN and it also says I'm using the latest firmware so yeah, they already know but man people are going to be pissed tomorrow.

Same on my end.. so there is something a bit F'd with it.

If you're getting a black screen, try booting to safe mode. If you can boot safe mode, you're good until Sony fixes this issue.

ok i Can get to safe mode, so thats a lucky break..i just wished i knew that before i reformatted around 400gb of games..

thanks for your help

Cyborg771

Neo Member
If their previous fuckups are any indication, this might mean some free games for everyone!

Glad to hear they've fixed this though.

Romir

I got black screen bricked updating to 4.41 with a 640gb drive and Sony didn't give a damn. Maybe I can try again now.

lucius

Turned off auto system update, even though it still asks you. I remember that system update that caused some controllers to keep losing sync with the system, took them like weeks to fix it.

Read the fucking thread idiot. A lot of people are having issues, including me.

That's what I'm wondering. There better be a fucking way to recover everything.

This wasn't a thread about the brick issue when it started. I come back for this last page it's a huge line of people saying no problem. SO, I asked where the issue report came from. i'm not accusing you of anything.

Keldor

Problem with FW 4.45?
* Yes :-(

HDD:
* Samsung HDD (1 TB)

PS3 type:
* Slim 1

PS3 Region:
* US

Didn't read this thread and formatted my PS3 to no avail. Lost about 300GB worth of games/music. I can still get to the debug menu so hopefully an update via usb will get me going again.

ElfArmy177

man I understand you are pissed off, but there really isnt a reason to be so hostile. I think the last page everyone posted "no" for problems, which is probably what he was talking about. Hopefully they fix everything and your PS3 starts working again though. Keep in mind though once its fixed you will get free games no doubt!

I cant even imagin the possibility of losing game saves...

This isnt making you feel any better is it? :(

This wasn't a thread about the brick issue when it started. I come back for this last page it's a huge line of people saying no problem. SO, I asked where the issue report came from. i'm not accusing you of anything.

edit: of course, fuck you

Because it's so difficult to go back a page or two and figure out why everyone's talking about it. Nope, gotta make a sweeping generalisation that there's no issue because a single page of people said they didn't have any problems.

Replicant

I have the same problem trying to install the new firmware via the recovery menu. (Managed to get back in after holding down the power button through one full turn on/beep/turn off cycle.)

FWIW, my info:

Problem with FW 4.45? (choose one):
* YES

HDD (choose one):
* Custom (1TB Samsung Spinpoint)

PS3 type (choose one):
* Slim 1 (CECH-2001A)

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US

Problem with FW 4.45?
* Yes :-(

HDD:
* Samsung HDD (1 TB)

PS3 type:
* Slim 1

PS3 Region:
* US

Didn't read this thread and formatted my PS3 to no avail. Lost about 300GB worth of games/music. I can still get to the debug menu so hopefully an update via usb will get me going again.

Interesting. So, 2 people who have problems have 1TB Samsung HDD on Slim PS3 US version. I wonder if the update to 4.25 from 4.20 or 4.21 matters. That'd be complicated since most of us don't even remember which version of update we downloaded.

I did notice someone with 750GB HDD having problem though.

man I understand you are pissed off, but there really isnt a reason to be so hostile. I think the last page everyone posted "no" for problems, which is probably what he was talking about. Hopefully they fix everything and your PS3 starts working again though. Keep in mind though once its fixed you will get free games no doubt!

This isnt making you feel any better is it? :(

Nope.

Afrikan

Mine's auto updates at 5am in the morning PST...

since the patch is pulled, I don't need to worry about turning off auto update now right?

Because it's so difficult to go back a page or two and figure out why everyone's talking about it. Nope, gotta make a sweeping generalisation that there's no issue because a single page of people said they didn't have any problems.

Please check again. I didn't say there was no issue, I asked where are the reports coming from. I thought maybe it went wide on twitter of came from Sony and we had lots of the people saying it did not happen to them.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Take a break. If you wouldn't act a fool in your own personal life then don't act a fool here.

deuce985

Banned
Somebody please explain to me how a software update can brick consoles? You should be able to manually remove the update but apparently you can't even reformat to fix it. How's that possible? I've never in my life heard of software breaking hardware. It's unfathomable. GG Sony.

Kinda reminds me of how crappy their software is on my Sony Bravia TV. It loads as slow as the XMB on PSN and sometimes will even crash. Worst. Software. Programmers. Ever.

Top Bottom