• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - Steam to Allow Game Borrowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Found in the latest Steam Beta update.

Update to Steam Beta. Steam > Settings > Beta Participation
Go to you Steam/Public/steamui_english to verify

TeA8YXw.png

"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicense_Title" "Shared game library"
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_OwnerText" "Just so you know, your games are currently in use by %borrower%. Playing now will send %borrower% a notice that it's time to quit."
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_BorrowerText" "This shared game is currently unavailable. Please try again later or buy this game for your own library."

UPDATE 7/31

Found it on Reddit. Don't know if it is fake or legit.

UZVcqWs.png

Eusis

Ah, the one feature that DOES sound good with the X1 possibly hitting Steam. Yeah, I like the sound of that.
Oh look, taking a digital copy of a game and giving it MORE freedom.

Are you paying attention Microsoft?
It seems more like the inverse this time actually: read up on the X1's family sharing if you haven't already.

Oh look, taking a digital copy of a game and giving it MORE freedom.

Are you paying attention Microsoft?

In this case (and pretty much only in this case), Valve would be the ones playing catchup to Microsoft.

... Unless it launches before the XBone itself launches, so Microsoft may have had the idea first but, er, lemme get back to you on that.

injurai

Banned
I could see this becoming a silver bullet against the console industry.

Especially if the steambox sees light.

edit: In their market share, not actually killing them.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'd like to see this.

I don't use steam but it'd be nice for Valve to show MS how to properly let their users share games.

LOL.

In all seriousness, it'd be great to have a digital service like valve offering something that's also being touted on Xbox One, because if MS is the only outlet doing it, they'll probably do it wrong. I trust Valve to show how it's done right.

syko de4d

but sounds like only one person can play the shared copy. If the owner plays the other gets a message that he needs to quit.

But if Steam and MS do this Sony must do this too :p

fart town usa

Gold Member
I could see this becoming a silver bullet against the console industry.

Especially if the steambox sees light.

Console's are still around because of the 1st party exclusives.

Just because PC is more open and generally more powerful doesn't mean it's the right setup for everyone.

That is as long as Sony has all their studios and nintendo doesn't go multiplat.

Swifty

I wonder if someone at Valve cooked this up over the weekend just to prove you can have a digital sharing system without a 24-hour check in.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Probably just another feature if the publishers want to allow it. Like how amazon allows ebook rentals that not many publishers use.

Enectic

Banned
but sounds like only one person can play the shared copy. If the owner plays the other gets a message that he needs to quit.

But if Steam and MS do this Sony must do this too :p

I think a continuous "license check" would be required for something like this. I'm not sure if Sony could/wants to implement that.

statham

I hope you can give games(like MS) I have alot of games I don't play on steam I would like to give to somebody.

injurai

Banned
Console's are still around because of the 1st party exclusives.

Just because PC is more open and generally more powerful doesn't mean it's the right setup for everyone.

PC has it's own exclusives too. There is always something that draws in a party. I guess I see it as more them imposing on console market share. But you are right.

I wonder if someone at Valve cooked this up over the weekend just to prove you can have a digital sharing system without a 24-hour check in.

I wonder how they'll do it then. Clearly the other person has to be online otherwise how would they get the message that they're about to be kicked off.

syko de4d

Probably just another feature if the publishers want to allow it. Like how amazon allows ebook rentals that not many publishers use.

yeahe, i only see this working for MP games. But SP Games? I would just share my Bioshock copy to "infinity" (haha what a joke)

Now I like me some Valve games and their services but I can see a colossal Reddit circlejerk over this and that's no fun for anybody.

Please wait for further information, kids.

Enectic

Banned

I'm not sure how "sharing" digital content without some kind of check in can be done. According to the reports I've read when you're sharing a game on Xbox One the check in is every hour.

BraXzy

What I want to know is.. Who randomly decided to look in that file just in case something came up? :L

Hope it's implemented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom