• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Online Multiplayer Unavailable for Countries Without a Store

User Gennosuke asked on today’s EU store post whether or not he’ll be able to play online in Romania. Fred Dutton answered apologetically.

“Unfortunately at this time gamers in countries which do not have a Store cannot access online multi-player features. However, we are considering every measure to offer PlayStation Store services to these territories as soon as possible. To clarify, the affected territories are: Bahrain, Lebanon, Romania, Oman, Slovakia, Malta, Cyprus and Iceland.”

As this is the EU-specific store, there’s likely to be other areas where this is an issue.

http://www.gamesreviews.com/news/06/ps4-online-blocked-for-countries-without-a-store/

Just another gift of pay-to-play online 'feature'.

Mrbob

Yeah this is the worst part of putting online behind a pay wall. I wonder what the workaround will be. Probably create a fake address and buy cards for access.

sakipon

I believe it just means he can't use all features if he chooses to create a Romanian account. All the gamer needs to do is choose some other country and he can make purchases etc.

This is absolutely nothing new or shocking. It happens already.

coldfoot

Banned
I doubt Sony is going to be IP filtering. They should be able to make an account in another country and access the store, just like how it is in PS3.

Zoe

I wonder what that means for having multiple regions on your console then. Will a Plus account from one region allow an account from another region play online? Is it even possible to have another region on there?

Any kind of region restriction is a shame in my book. Internet-content should transcend the borders of nations. I know and understand all the reasons this isn't the case. I just don't like it.

EU account with 10 Downing Street set as the address. Job done. I've never known Sony to IP check, so I don't see why they would start now.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I'm sure we can change this. What hash tag will we use?

nampad

That sucks. Hope Sony at leasts doesn't IP lock stores so they can make an account for a different region to play.

Takuya

Banned
How are they supposed to pay for PS+ without a store?

PS+ Codes are region specific, and only work on accounts from that region.

This should've been obvious from day 1 when they announced PS+ requirement for multiplayer on PS4.

Create an alternate account that isn't registered to your region, buy a PS+ sub for that region, and voila.

4lejandro

As others have said, they could easily create accounts with a different address, as they almost surely did on the ps3...

Geez, all this effort to create "bad press" heh

Pranay

Well that sucks

Edit: Buy a PS3?

Create a fake account

How are they supposed to pay for PS+ without a store?

PS+ Codes are region specific, and only work on accounts from that region.

This should've been obvious from day 1 when they announced PS+ requirement for multiplayer on PS4.

Store are not country locked

boinx

WHAT, Iceland doesn't have store support? The homeland of the guys who made Eve and Dust 514, ridiculous.

Raymo

This is different than the Microsoft issue. The PS4 will at least be able to function offline in these territories.

Rolf NB

Newsflash: you need a PS+ subscription to play online on PS4. You can't buy a PS+ subscription if you don't have access to PSN store.

The more relevant question is if it's still possible to make accounts in any country you want, or if you actually have to be there (geo IP) this time.

fertygo

Well my country have PSN store, but its sucked and never updated
What that means? I can only have account from my country?

Now, that sucked.. I don't care with MP tho.

but shit sucked if I can only have acc from this shitty PSN. and no issue if I can like now.

Miutsu

When I got my PS3 I registered under a USA account because I think Venezuela wasn't in the selectable country list, I'm guessing it would be the same case this time? Playing online with an account from another country which is supported, unless they IP block that is... :(

DieH@rd

Banned
I believe it just means he can't use all features if he chooses to create a Romanian account. All the gamer needs to do is choose some other country and he can make purchases etc.

This is absolutely nothing new or shocking. It happens already.

This. Romanians will be able to create UK/US account and use store without a problem. Same happens with PS3, tons of countries dont have their own store.

Top Bottom