• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone PR: the 60 Minute Family Plan Revelation

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
You don't think he was referring to the fact the guy said he was going to buy 2 copies (or more) of every game and not the fact that he thought sharing would still be useful?

Obviously having sharing only be 60mins means I'm no longer going to miss the feature but everything else I said still stands. My only option for not needing discs is to buy everything digitally where there is only 1 place to purchase and if I don't like the price then too bad. Previously I would be able to shop around for the best deals on physical games and then install them and never need the disc.
Yeah, and the trade off was a mysterious and unconfirmed "details later" trade-in scheme with selected retail partners, no lending to friends, and countless other compromises. MS fucked up, blame them.

Replicant

At this point I won't be surprised if MS no-DRM turnaround is a trap waiting to be activated a few year later. This company is as trustworthy as Arthur Gies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'd avoid singling any one person out--Microsoft's nebulousness about this took even me by surprise. Diabolically stupid if they thought it would fly, the only redeeming factor here is that they gave it up before trying.

Good point, I have nothing against the guy but you can see why this nature of discussion makes one question the reason some bend so much to these odd policies which are almost hidden or eluded to but never specified on.

Thorakai

Is there a precedent in any other industry for attempting to roll out so much anti-consumer BS in such a short amount of time? Who at the Microsoft is in charge of this shit? Thank god they backed off while they can and saved themselves from a slaughter.

Called it. Knew that it was too good to be true. People giving Microsoft too much of a credit.

Too much.

A pipe dream to think they'd allow you to share full games from your entire catalog with 10 people anywhere in the country. LOL.

That will never happen. Ever.

nampad

You don't think he was referring to the fact the guy said he was going to buy 2 copies (or more) of every game and not the fact that he thought sharing would still be useful?

Obviously having sharing only be 60mins means I'm no longer going to miss the feature but everything else I said still stands. My only option for not needing discs is to buy everything digitally where there is only 1 place to purchase and if I don't like the price then too bad. Previously I would be able to shop around for the best deals on physical games and then install them and never need the disc.

You can shop around and buy MS Points/Live credit for less than their face value. Same goes for the PSN. I normally save 20-30%.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I knew it had to be something line this. Sharing to 10 people with no restriction is so stupid to think it would happen

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
What does a guy like this......

Have to say now?

I want to see the reasoning behind staying with a componay that is taking even their own fans for a hard ride. Now you can just say you love Xbox more than PS4 and I will take that as a good enough answer but if all this crap over the last 1-2 months has made you a bigger fan of MSFT then I feel sorry for that person.

Not to single you out Bg but I want to know the reasoning for even standing by a company that was not only deceiving you enough by tip toeing around the important facts but also charging you more for online and to get the privilege to enjoy such awesome DRM.

Because some people care more about games than any of this other crap. Do you think Xbox fans are all stupid? It's about playing the games you want, it's not about politics. I earn my money and I can spend it on anything I want and I don't make purchases not knowing what I'm getting myself into. I owned all the consoles last gen plus a top end gaming PC and I plan to do the same this gen. If I don't feel I'm getting value from something I don't buy it, see WiiU. No interest. MS has games I want, the DRM meant nothing to me and family sharing was just a nice bonus that turned out to be not much of a bonus. That doesn't change the fact that they have some games I really want to play, just like the PS4 does and just like PC does.

You can shop around and buy MS Points/Live credit for less than their face value. Same goes for the PSN. I normally save 20-30%.

Points are dead, plus I never saw any of those great deals in Canada, not that I looked much.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The source to this article is pastebin! Are you kidding me people? This is nothing more than some posters stupid story to get attention.

Crazy... Buttocks...On...A...Train
Good as gold. Jesus, people.

Chaos17

So if I got it right :

We will free advertising for developers as 10 people can come and try our games in demo form. We will be a nice "shopping window".

What's the difference with Ps+ ?
Trust!
People who know you trust you so they will think the game is decent enought to try.

Well, that's just what I think.

nbraun80

Read the OP! CBOAT confirmed!

still the loading your account on a friends Xbox and the family share plan were different things. They never talked about 10 family members and all that initially. I just think they thought of doing the family plan and hadn't hammered down all the details, that's shy much wasn't shared.

I can see Microsoft trying to set back the DRM with the first Xbone revision, stating the new slim unit is different because "reasons", and set back all the bad things they tried at the beginning.

scitek

The part that makes zero sense is why someone had to be part of your "family" just to play a trial. My guess is it was simply in hopes that if someone saw you owned it, there's a greater chance they'll try it since you're presumably someone whose opinion they trust. Much more effective than a traditional demo.

Raist

Banned
Harrison then explained what happens when you want to take that game beyond the borders of your own home and into a friend's place.

"I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game," he explained.

"The bits are on your hard drive. At the end of the play session, when I take my disc home - or even if I leave it with you - if you want to continue to play that game [on your profile] then you have to pay for it. The bits are already on your hard drive, so it's just a question of going to our [online] store and buying the game, and then it's instantly available to play.

"The bits that are on the disc, I can give to anybody else, but if we both want to play it at the same time, we both have to own it. That's no different to how discs operate today."

Heh

LiquidMetal14

Because some people care more about games than any of this other crap. Do you think Xbox fans are all stupid? It's about playing the games you want, it's not about politics. I earn my money and I can spend it on anything I want and I don't make purchases not knowing what I'm getting myself into. I owned all the consoles last gen plus a top end gaming PC and I plan to do the same this gen. If I don't feel I'm getting value from something I don't buy it, see WiiU. No interest. MS has games I want, the DRM meant nothing to me and family sharing was just a nice bonus that turned out to be not much of a bonus. That doesn't change the fact that they have some games I really want to play, just like the PS4 does and just like PC does.

Well said. It's not coming from the original user I quoted but this is a respectable answer. Even if I don't agree with it all the way.

Yikes, just read the entire pastebin article, it started off sincere but quickly devolved into the same MS PR bullshit. He even ended with the same 2 lines from Mattrick.

We at Microsoft have amazing plans for Xbox One that will make it an amazing experience for both gamers and entertainment consumers alike. I stand by the belief that Playstation 4 is Xbox 360 part 2, while Xbox One is trying to revolutionize entertainment consumption. For people who don’t want these amazing additions, like Don said we have a console for that and it’s called Xbox 360.

Fuck you xbox guy, and fuck your shitty console. Fucking zero respect for consumers.

MrMephistoX

So a stock feature of PSN is somehow better than being able to lend out games? Didn't Sony announce free trials for all games on PS4 back in February?

tafer

Count me with the guys that wanted to see the public's reaction to the real family "sharing" feature if MS didn't change plans.

halogamer

Banned
still the loading your account on a friends Xbox and the family share plan were different things. They never talked about 10 family members and all that initially. I just think they thought of doing the family plan and hadn't hammered down all the details, that's shy much wasn't shared.

...I have no words

I am not surprised by this. It's Microsoft, what did people expect, they as a company do not care about consumers. Shady business practices, Monopoly and high price tags.

Your mind is breaking. Just ride it out and let it heal.

LiquidMetal14

So a stock feature of PSN is somehow better than being able to lend out games? Didn't Sony announce free trials for all games on PS4 back in February?

The main difference is that they were forthcoming and haven't really said anything which is shrouded in some mystery. It's been pretty straight up compared to the smoke and mirrors with MSFT.

Azull

When its too good to be true...seriously though, I don't blame the guys who actually believed that 10 people would be able to share the same game since MS is in PR disaster mode right now but come on. You had to know there was going to be some catch to this.

All MS is doing at this point is trying to replicate most of PS+. Free games and 1hour time trials.

CBOAT confirmed it that the 60 min was related to the family plan, which clearly it would have worked similar as bringing your game to your friends home.

Synless

If you really believed they were going to let ten people in your network all use games per account, you were delusional and deserved to be disappointed.

boingball

Lol.

So this feature is basically what we call today a demo. Truly revolutionary.

I never thought that publishers would let MS get away with 10 ppl playing the same game for one price. Sony had to go from 5 PS3 to 2 PS3 for game sharing. But I thought that they had at least the intention to allow it.

The best thing is that the MS engineer thinks that these are all great ideas... Man, I am lucky no one let him near DVD/Blu-Ray players.

I can see Microsoft trying to set back the DRM with the first Xbone revision, stating the new slim unit is different because "reasons", and set back all the bad things they tried at the beginning.

They can change it all back with a required firmware update to play Halo.

:) Just like Sony could remove Linux on the PS3. Just like Steam was able to get away with holding your games hostage unless you confirm to the new terms. Things aren't over.

Microsoft won't just throw away such a bit project that is ready to be deployed.

As I said before it was a PR stunt and nothing more.

Jomjom

Banned
It's quite funny to see some of the people posting here in this thread who were just yesterday in the other thread condemning all the internet whiners who made them lose their incredible feature from the future. Yeah you know who you guys are.

Lol.

So this feature is basically what we call today a demo. Truly revolutionary.

I never thought that publishers would let MS get away with 10 ppl playing the same game for one price. Sony had to go from 5 PS3 to 2 PS3 for game sharing. But I thought that they had at least the intention to allow it.

The best thing is that the MS engineer thinks that these are all great ideas... Man, I am lucky no one let him near DVD/Blu-Ray players.

Not just a demo, but a "Full Game Trial" as created by Sony. The only reason it wasn't a complete copy of the feature was because it was limited to 9 people who knew 1 person who owned the full copy.

freddy

Banned
When its too good to be true...seriously though, I don't blame the guys who actually believed that 10 people would be able to share the same game since MS is in PR disaster mode right now but come on. You had to know there was going to be some catch to this.

All MS is doing at this point is trying to replicate most of PS+. Free games and 1hour time trials.

Yea but that's missing the point. Here you have a case of Microsoft making it seem like it was going to happen as a trade off, a hook if you will, to soften the blow of DRM. They deliberately decided to neglect mentioning the 60 minute time limit when sharing was bought up.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Well said. It's not coming from the original user I quoted but this is a respectable answer. Even if I don't agree with it all the way.

Sorry if my tone comes off harsh but I just feel like it's bit of a witch hunt, people can have opposing opinions but that doesn't mean we're not adults that can make rational decisions about the stuff we buy and it doesn't mean those decisions can't change when more details comes out. I'm not a cynical person by nature, I'm willing to take a company at their word until I learn otherwise. Sony promised me the "power of the cell" that turned out to be a lot of PR in reality when a lot of games performed better on the Xbox.

syko de4d

i think Sony will even top this with Gaikai Demo Streaming.

Play the Game for 30-60min via Gaikai. If you like it you buy the game. While the PS4 downloads the game you still can play a extra 30-60min with Gaikai Stream and can start the download Version when it´s only downloaded around 20-40% of the Game. Instant and simple :D

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Only straw left is the "Steam-like" prices that could've happene.... man I can't even say that with a straight face.

Hey, Alan Wake was really cheap that one time.

lol

Correct me if I'm wrong:

I seem to remember a comment some Microsoft exec made around the console's announcement, that the price of 'activating' a used/shared games would be the current MSRP.

I'm not sure if MS ever clarified or couched that comment, but I wonder if that exec was actually referencing this policy.

Haha, I knew it was too good to be true, I had no idea it would be this bad though.

But GAF! Why do you wanna stop the natural evolution of gaming? No DRM is not worth it if it stops progress and takes the good features away!

slit

Did they really think they were going to succeed with all this shit? I mean the people over there running the show must be out of their minds.

vareon

The part that makes zero sense is why someone had to be part of your "family" just to play a trial. My guess is it was simply in hopes that if someone saw you owned it, there's a greater chance they'll try it since you're presumably someone whose opinion they trust. Much more effective than a traditional demo.

The whole policy (before cancelled) smells like reaction than a deeply thought policy. They saw how gamers reacted with the online req and quickly cooked "policies" using positive PR words like "sharing" and "family" without really thinking it through. That's why the message is so muddled.

Well this revelation is surely the final vindication of the anti-DRM campaigns and opponents of Microsofts former anti-consumer policy. I'm curious of how the Microsft fans, who stood by Xbox one in its darkest hour with the vague promise of the 'family plan', feel about this whole ordeal now.

LiquidMetal14

Sorry if my tone comes off harsh but I just feel like it's bit of a witch hunt, people can have opposing opinions but that doesn't mean we're not adults that can make rational decisions about the stuff we buy and it doesn't mean those decisions can't change when more details comes out. I'm not a cynical person by nature, I'm willing to take a company at their word until I learn otherwise. Sony promised me the "power of the cell" that turned out to be a lot of PR in reality when a lot of games performed better on the Xbox.

Agreed. I just seen what MSFT was doing and really couldn't believe the DRM and now details like this come out. It's hard to take a company at face value again after this.

Jomjom

Banned

Yeah it's not just opposing opinions. When I posted in the other thread about how it was unreasonable to blame the gamers who "whined" because really nothing was lost due to the feature never being explained, I got so many attacks from people basically saying "see some people just won't see reason, MS clearly defined it blah blah blah. You just can't read blah blah blah."

I'm perfectly fine with them providing these kinds of features to owners of the digital games. For everyone else out there with your boxed copies, you can do whatever it is you do (go to Best Buy and purchase CDs, watch BluRays, etc)

halogamer

Banned
Well this revelation is surely the final vindication of the anti-DRM campaigns and opponents of Microsofts former anti-consumer policy. I'm curious of how the Microsft fans, who stood by Xbox one in its darkest hour with the vague promise of the 'family plan', feel about this whole ordeal now.

They are in what i like to call
cock shock.

Top Bottom