• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone PR: the 60 Minute Family Plan Revelation

Zaventem

Man if they would have allowed even this lie to be unveiled and continued course

the world would have collapsed from the sheer fail

I wouldn't mind a ps2 takeover again tbh. I think the only thing that i can rely on MS to do now is force Sony to push it's OS boundaries.

Would it also prevent you from saving your progress though?
I mean, if it allows you to do that couldn't you just play through it in 45 minute increments?

Terra_Ex

Haha, yes this sounds about right, can't believe people thought they'd be getting ten games for the price of one.

squicken

It's actually a cool feature, but positioning it as a benefit to giving up disc ownernship was ridiculous. There are some benefits to a purely digital console, but MS was clearly not the company to properly execute it

Even if they did full games, it could have worked out well for publishers.

Say the owner of the game shares it with his friends. Now his friends can play it. But wait! They want to play it at the same time! Now 5 of them have to have the game for them to all play at the same time. They might not have even gotten the game in the first place, but now the publisher sold 5 copies when they might have only sold 2 or 3. But hold on! DLC just came out for the game. They all want to play the DLC, so they buy it (assuming DLC isn't shareable and you don't need to own the game to get the DLC). Now the publisher sold 5 copies, and 10 DLCs! Then one guy is having some hard financial times, so he cancels his Gold subscription. But he was the owner of one of the games! Now one guy has to buy a copy of the game, or they have to find someone else to share with.

Plus, it has the benefits of piracy, like people telling their friends about the game, and then their friends buy it, etc.

But what if I don't care about playing it at the same time as my friends and I just want to beat the single player for the story then never touch the game again?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I wished Microsoft went with their plan just to see how they would fully reveal this feature

Info missing in the OP, your saved data and such from these glorified timed trials could be used for the full game. The guy posting the pastebin seemed happy that they could then sell the game if the user likes the game after playing the 'demo'

It would have been so hilarious.

This is so pathetic. Ps3, a current gen console, already gives you an hour of play with a lot of titles as we speak. Xbox one on the other hand limits you to 10 people and is 15 minutes less play time. This was supposed to be their biggest feature? I hope Sony burns them to the ground. It's truly sickening the shit they spin.

I still don't get it. Could you still have played the full game if you were patient? Could you start playing the same game again after getting kicked out? Could you play other games? Seems like a really poorly conceived system, I wouldn't be surprised if they were forced to axe the family share plan by publishers and that's what lead to them dropping DRM totally.

commedieu

Banned
lol.. that entire thread of everyone being mad at Sony was a waste. Wasn't anything to begin with.

Crow's fresh and hot boys... where are they?

mr2xxx

Banned
GOD DAMN GAF!!!! This was the killer feature i was looking forward to and you guys ruined it!

Good thing we stopped this shit from happening or else I would of bought a "M$ fucked me and all I got was a glorified demo" shirt .

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Seriously, this needs to hit gaming press. This completely shoots down the idea we just lost a great feature. MS was lying to our faces. That's seriously evil IMO.

kuroshiki

I just can't trust MS anymore. This 'sharing' plan is just glorified demo. And they think this would calm the gamers?

Do they really think we are that dumb?

I mean, if it allows you to do that couldn't you just play through it in 45 minute increments?

According to the Pastebin, you would've been able to save your progress, so that you could pick right up when you bought the whole game.

The family plan plan sounded cool (some people were already forming groups sharing games for the fraction of the cost lol), but if it was just a demo mode then glad they got rid of it, yikes.

Showaddy

Makes you wonder how long M$ would have kept this under wraps had they not canned it.

I actually feel sorry for the some of the die-hard XBone defenders who swore blind that this made the DRM totally worth it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I still don't get it. Could you still have played the full game if you were patient? Could you start playing the same game again after getting kicked out? Could you play other games? Seems like a really poorly conceived system, I wouldn't be surprised if they were forced to axe the family share plan by publishers and that's what lead to them dropping DRM totally.

It probably worked like PS+ Full game trials. As soon as you boot it it starts a countdown on your system. It then won't boot after that allotted time.

Will people now shut up about how we're "keeping gamers in the stone age" by raising a ruckus about Xbox DRM? Some of the replies in the family sharing thread were absolutely ridiculous and borderline insulting. You were never going to be able to freely share your entire library of games between ten people.

Mr. X

And some people are mad that this feature was lost.

What's the next lost feature that will be fully explained?

You would have had "full access" to the game, it would behave like a normal game then boom after 60 mins you probably would've got a pop up screen that said "like this do ya ? give us some dosh" then it would take you straight to the store link where you could buy the game for an artificially inflated price, but hey "dat future man, it's glorious".

artist

Banned
Qf0kCRD.png

Wonder how this Facebook group feels now? :lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Moving this post here since this seems to be the new thread.

What's funny is that they DID hint at this. In an obfuscated way. We just never noticed.

Remember when the DRM was first revealed? The easiest complaint was "What if I wanted to take it to my friend's house?"

Remember the response?

http://gamerant.com/xbox-one-internet-connection-requirement/

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/07/no-fees-for-xbox-one-used-games-but-24-hour-check-in-required-3832010/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/06/microsoft-details-xbox-one-used-games-always-online

We just glossed over that because we figured, during the PEAK of the "24 hour check" freakout, that 1 hour offline for visiting a friend was just more shit on the cake.

Nope.

That was the max amount of time a friend could play a copy. Period

It was in front of our face the whole time.
Oh wow, great find!

Steroyd

If it mirrors Sony's Full game trial, you'd be locked out of the game forever after playing it once.

And yes you can save, and still earn trophies etc. (assuming game sharing = Full game trial).

That was the big family sharing plan that all the MS fankids were trumpeting?

And the same one they were crying about losing after yesterday's policy change?

Also, is there anyone left in the entire Xbox division that has a soul?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Do you have Psn+? Download a full game trial and see how it works. After 60 min the game locks forever.

Man if they would have allowed even this lie to be unveiled and continued course

the world would have collapsed from the sheer fail

Yeah, people were already making wild dreams of sharing games and it was a glorified demo sharing system. Totally bollocks. Probably one of the reasons why they ahd to backtrack on the DRM.

I kinda wish they would have followed the DRM plan. The catasthrophe of Family Plan being unveiled as just demos, the bitter tears of those who tought it was some marvelous workaround to lending physical games...

Why MS denied us so much FUN?!

Sethos

Banned
Once again, Microsoft worded this in a such a way as to lead people to believe this was the carrot for the DRM stick.

Of course they did, it's called PR spin and it was a case of "Way too god to be true". It's like opening one of those Nigerian spam mails, your brain should immediately go "This is bullshit".

Top Bottom