• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone PR: the 60 Minute Family Plan Revelation

Wait a minute. So the 10 people can share a game was basically just 9 people having a one hour demo of a game one person bought? WTF? Or am I missing something here.

That's what the Pastebin/CBOAT say. We'll never know for certain if it was actually the case, but it sounds plausible enough.

JABEE

So, they pretty much lied before and are now flip-flopping on it when they take it away. Manipulative and cretinous behavior from the Xbox team.

Averon

Those people who bitched and whined about us gamers for not swallowing MS's DRM BS and "forced" MS to kill this wonderful Family Plan (AKA glorified demo scheme), look like naive clowns.

Kazerei

Banned
Heh, not surprised. The game sharing with 10 people thing sounded waaaay too good to be true. Even Sony cut it down from 5 to 2.

Trust me on this.

as long as the current management is at the helm, those shenanigans WILL COME BACK.

In 10 years a digital only console from one or more o the manufacturers is probably inevitable, the problem with the xbox one's plan is that physical is still far to big to marginalize let alone ignore so they had to create this confusing convoluted mess of a workaround in order to treat physical purchases as if they were digital ones.

Azure J

Gotta wonder if all those people who got livid and eventually banned from GAF over this yesterday think it was worth it now.

Darknight

Sweeter? More like exposed Microsoft for the anti-consumerist assholes they are even more. They're using it now to paint the picture of a glorious lost digital age that is no longer possible because of short-sighted gamers, the only problem is that the lost future they have to regretfully abandon never actually existed in the first place.

Hope the word gets out and is properly spread, though it does lack proof so it's not going to hurt Microsoft too much. And it's a shame, because they deserve all the shit they would have gotten for that.

I think the biggest thing that pisses me off is they play it off as if its the core's fault, us gamers, that their "vision" had to be nipped and tucked away in a shit hole. Like they wont admit that they were so wrong. This just makes the shill journos to spread their FUD to make MS seem like a light that shines in our darkest moments.

Dami3N

so... is this just like a "full trail" demo on playstation - 1 hour gameplay from the start og the game, thereafter you need to buy the game, then continues?

What a crash down to reality after the high hopes people had for this plan.

Why people had faith in this company to put forth enough consumer friendly benefits to make up for yanking away the second hand market is beyond me.

Tiops

I was saying since that "awesome" feature was revealed that something was wrong. Microsoft with all the DRM letting 10 people sharing their games, lol. It didn't make any sense. Now it does.

Boss Man

I'm surprised they weren't going to let people share one copy of a game with scores of their friends with no strings attached.

At least there's still the infinite power of the cloud.

JDSN

Banned
Well, it seems that "Game shared will make it worth it!"was a lot of wasted pre-made astroturfer narrative that went nothing nowhere.

I was surprised how people was counting on this to be MS's gamechanger.

vctor182

Why did you opened your eyes so soon MS?? It would've been a blast watch the future of the console with the original policies.

cluderi

Doesn't surprise me, anyone who thought MS was going to let one person buy a game that 10 people could play with no extra cost is insane.

remnant

Banned
Im actually sad they didnt do this, because they would have been destroyed and forced to reverse everything. They need to fire their comunication/PR completely.

I know.

Can you imagine that thread. Imagine how bad podcasts and coverage would be.

Oh it would have been glorious.

It would have been....Legendary

Eric C

I knew there would be a catch I didn't know exactly what'd it be but I knew 10 people wouldn't be able to share the same game.

So cboat confirms it was basically a 60 minute demo system. You had to be on someone's family plan, just to get a 60 minute demo of a game.

That has to be one of the craziest things in gaming that I've ever heard about. I can't believe Microsoft is that out of touch.

Welp, nothing of value was lost.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Damn, I really wish Microsoft had stuck to their guns, if only for the lulz.

I never got the impression that it was a 1 hour demo, but I damned sure knew there were a few catches that would keep it from being attractive.

Ding-Ding

So I wasn't far out. I said it would possibly be a rent per hour scheme.

And people wonder why I want MS out of the industry now.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
rkRuNIh.jpg

Mr. X

I'm going to get into trouble for a shitty conspiracy theory here but I think part of what happened is that the execs like Phil spencer didn't get the policy totally right and so ms had to abandon the whole thing to save face. Fixing this would have been an utter death blow even though I hope everyone knew in their heart of hearts it made no sense.

Once the truth would have come out on this the damage would have been irreparable.

I said this myself earlier

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=65071601&highlight=#post65071601

I don't think MS had a lot of the stuff ready to work for launch.

2San

CBOAT did warn us that it was going to get worse.
C'mon, he was pretty devastated as it is. He could barely sleep last night.
I hope he has some more sleepless nights while job searching. First time actually wanting someone to lose their job.

I was pretty bummed about the loss of the family sharing but if it was only a timed demo then I'm pretty happy we lost it and went back to the 360 DRM methods. Imagine if they hadn't reversed their policies and this had come out, MS would have been destroyed.

This isn't 'sharing' in any form. It's a demo.

Their language in their description is outright misleading, and on the verge of lying, if this 60 minute limit is correct. I mean it's hard to verify now as it appears to have been scrapped but... how much more deceptive can you get?

The reality seems so different from what they're suggesting here - maybe there was some kind of other plan that wasn't mentioned? Because this spiel seems completely wrong, and intentionally misleading.

This. I don't even know why they would call it family sharing and have wording like that if it was nothing but a 60 min demo. I completely agree with your assessment here.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
And people called me paranoid, insisting that it meant concurrently. I'm getting really good at reading sleazy PR speak.

Impressive. Even I'm not cynical enough to have believed that without confirmation from the God of Leaks.
My imagined worst-case scenario was one person from your list of ten using one of your full games, (that you're not playing) max, with hourly check-ins.

Roto13

It's hilarious that PS+-style one-hour trials (except crappier) was what so many people were willing to give up their consumer rights for.

All of the people who were up in arms yesterday about losing this feature. Banging on about being "stuck in the past" and missing out on features like this that would drive gaming into the future... how do you feel now?

Sharing with 10 people was never going to happen without a catch, but this is worse than I suspected!

Well there was talk of the games not being able to be played after 60 minutes without an internet connection, only two people being able to play at once and multiplayer features not being shareable so it's no surprise it was just a glorified demo in the end.

So it was basically just like PS+ full game trials, right?

EDIT: Fuck Gies, I'll believe CBOAT.

Top Bottom