• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(06-26-2013, 07:55 AM)
Parakeetman's Avatar
*Edit Adding newer videos up at top for folks to watch first.

Videos showing off the more current versions of the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV2OAgm-IOw (Freddie Wong & Corridor Digital guys)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooTgW1S9iqo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdkVxguK4fo (gameplay w commentary)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7weTyXPib_o (gameplay w commentary, shows off forest too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTtaThDiuPc (Titan Eren gameplay footage)

*Disclaimer this thread will be watched to make sure things stay on topic this time around.

Ok since we all got a little sidetracked with the original thread that got locked. Lets try this again. This time try to stay on subject of discussing this pretty cool fan made game based off of Attack on Titan.

Heres the original post with the information cut and pasted below + the link to the original now locked thread.

Original Thread by - Poetic.Injustice

Created by fenglee and powered by Unity 3D, this is a prototype version of a fan-made game based on this amazing anime.
Those interested can go ahead and give it a go here. We’ve also included some videos from it that can be viewed below.
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/attack...d-by-unity-3d/
*EDIT (not part of original quote) Oldest version watch videos at top
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=AxttI-ica7s]

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...81&postcount=1

Link to the prototype game below
http://fenglee.com/game/aog/

Website for the Unity - Game Engine
http://unity3d.com/

---

Granted the controls and mechanics are quite rough around the edges, I had thought that after messing around with this for a good 30 minutes, that its actually pretty cool of a concept that could be built upon. If not by the same person am sure other talented people here could do something similar.

Managed to kill only 9 of the titans before giving up, since you really wind up fighting the controls and camera more than the titans lol. But expected when this is an early version of this fan made game.

With these types of hook n wire action we got going on am wondering if on a related note of an action game, Freedom Wars that whip looking item players have around their arm will allow for climbing of structures and the bosses. If so combined with the popularity of Attack on Titan could really see the game becoming popular just because of that.

Back on the topic of this prototype game, what do you other folks here think about the project from a design standpoint? With all the things like the obvious problems aside with controls, response, camera etc. What sort of mechanics would you like to see implemented to improve it in a hypothetical situation.

A small list after messing around would be.

*Have the wires only shoot off in the direction that the mouse is pointed in. Currently they seem to kinda shoot off at random on occasion (left / right) and not directly at the pointer.

*Be able to hang from a location where your wires are anchored in. Pressing the button again releases them from anchor point.

*More responsive attack animation. Right now due to how the animation works, its almost like there is a delay so you need to time your attacks ahead. If they had like a charge sort of attack, quick press less damage faster, hold down button longer for more damage might work.

*Ability to jump normally. Didnt seem to be one in the demo? Couldnt read the chinese so might have missed it if it was in the instructions I saw.
Last edited by Parakeetman; 11-11-2013 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added in link to game
sonikokaruto
Posting on the wrong forum
(06-26-2013, 07:58 AM)
sonikokaruto's Avatar
I just wish Japanese devs cared for unity, so we could see a launch of this on the wiiU
Tomat
Member
(06-26-2013, 07:59 AM)
Tomat's Avatar
YouTube link does not work.
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(06-26-2013, 08:00 AM)
Parakeetman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tomat

YouTube link does not work.

Oh man, sorry about that hang on let me see if I can fix it.

Ok try it now should be fixed. The copy and paste job I did seemed to have messed it up originally. Also added link to the website with the game.
Last edited by Parakeetman; 06-26-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Man Puncher
Member
(06-26-2013, 08:02 AM)
Man Puncher's Avatar
Already better than the inevitable official card trading game exclusively on GREE can ever hope to be.
Tomat
Member
(06-26-2013, 08:03 AM)
Tomat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Parakeetman

Oh man, sorry about that hang on let me see if I can fix it.

Ok try it now should be fixed. The copy and paste job I did seemed to have messed it up originally. Also added link to the website with the game.

Thanks, it works now.

This looks way more fun than I expected it to.
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(06-26-2013, 08:05 AM)
Parakeetman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Man Puncher

Already better than the inevitable official card trading game exclusively on GREE can ever hope to be.

I never tried the current existing one, but saw what it looked like when advertised in famitsu. Looked kinda odd lol. Seemed to be from a side scrolling perspective? Dont really want to sign up for whatever social gaming platform site it was that had it.

Yeah this actually capture the feeling of the series with the combat and movement. Even as rough as everything is. Esp when the titans start to swarm around and you just feel totally screwed haha.

Found a pretty useful way to move around quickly is to keep shooting your hooks at the ground infront of you. Easier to control too than trying to fight with the camera / how the hooks work when it comes to buildings.

Originally Posted by Tomat

Thanks, it works now.

This looks way more fun than I expected it to.

While the controls may drive one crazy among a few other things if you get used to it, its actually kinda cool trying to beat your previous kill count lol

I really see this prototype this person created as a simple proof of concept that a game could potentially be done. How much depth one wants to put into it would be up to the developer. But the fact that it was done in a web browser shows that the general concept / design is able to be accomplished.

Id actually expect maybe the next big doujin event for someone to have made a doujin version of the game. Since the crowd that does those seem to be a good collection of talented folks. If so Id imagine it would sell pretty good if done well enough.

Originally Posted by sonikokaruto

I just wish Japanese devs cared for unity, so we could see a launch of this on the wiiU

Well thing is, that this wouldnt be able to come out on one of the major platforms due to this being an unlicensed project. On the PC is a different issue though.

In regards to Unity is it that the devs in Japan actually do not care or is it that they just do not have experience / are familiar with it yet? Since one thing with the difference between Japan and the rest of the world is that it seems over here they are a little bit slower with catching onto the newer tech available. Id have to say give it time, since am sure one of programming enthusiasts will make up a Japanese tutorial for others and hopefully in the indie groups it would grow from there if they find it to be an easy to work with engine? (sorry am not too familiar with the whole unity thing myself)
Last edited by Parakeetman; 06-26-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Unknown Soldier
Member
(06-26-2013, 08:27 AM)
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
He really should put some textures on the buildings.
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(06-26-2013, 08:31 AM)
Parakeetman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier

He really should put some textures on the buildings.

This being a very early version, I think theres a bunch of other more important issues to be dealt with rather than building textures. Usually the eye candy stuff is taken care of later, really do think that this is more a proof of concept which is why this person wanted to show it off in its current state.

Btw did you notice the massive titan staring over wall. I lold that the creator actually added that into the game.
B.O.O.M
Member
(06-26-2013, 08:37 AM)
B.O.O.M's Avatar
Mikasa! Anywho not bad at all..look forward to seeing how it progresses :)

and based Shuhei pls give a game based on this IP to Sucker Punch
Teknopathetic
Not even moist right now.
(06-26-2013, 08:48 AM)
Teknopathetic's Avatar
"He really should put some textures on the buildings."

He really should finish this currently unfinished game.
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(06-26-2013, 08:57 AM)
Parakeetman's Avatar
One thing that really needs to be worked on that would help a lot is the ability not to tilt the camera downwards. Since it makes it a bit of a pain to try and plan where to land when you overshoot something. Also the hit detection with the weapons needs to be worked on. So many what appears to be perfectly lined up attack chances ruined due to poor hit detection lol.

Still yeah as others have mentioned am quite amused with this project and hope to see it continue!

cant beat my record of 9 kills. keep getting swatted while trying to take on the larger titans. D:
Coxy
Member
(06-26-2013, 09:07 AM)
Coxy's Avatar
great concept and I'd really love to see a full game of this, someone should fund it
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(06-26-2013, 09:11 AM)
Parakeetman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Coxy

great concept and I'd really love to see a full game of this, someone should fund it

Seeing the concept like this am pretty sure a small group of folks could make something decent. Know that theres a bunch of indie folks here within GAF. Wonder if any of those people would be willing to take a crack at making another version of this?

You know with how just cause has that grappling wire thing, would be hilarious to see someone make a mod for the game.
B-Genius
Member
(06-26-2013, 09:15 AM)
B-Genius's Avatar

Originally Posted by Man Puncher

Already better than the inevitable official card trading game exclusively on GREE can ever hope to be.

I am so tired of this filth. Saw an ad on TV the other day for a Berserk "game" from GREE. Almost threw up into my cereal.

I've only seen two episodes of the show, but an AoT game would surely be great if done well. Someone mentioned in the other thread Spiderman style swinging combined with SotC scale and CyberConnect2 visuals.
Most anime games these days are either musou or fighting based. A break from the mould would be nice.
Last edited by B-Genius; 06-26-2013 at 09:18 AM.
bobbychalkers
Member
(06-26-2013, 09:16 AM)
bobbychalkers's Avatar
I tried it earlier and fought the controls for 5 minutes and gave up. I'm glad someone out there is trying to make a game for it though. I always imagined that a mixture of Spiderman 2's swinging and Just Cause 2's grapple hook could work for an Attack on Titan game
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(06-26-2013, 09:26 AM)
Parakeetman's Avatar

Originally Posted by bobbychalkers

I tried it earlier and fought the controls for 5 minutes and gave up. I'm glad someone out there is trying to make a game for it though. I always imagined that a mixture of Spiderman 2's swinging and Just Cause 2's grapple hook could work for an Attack on Titan game

Yeah the controls are the real big downside currently to this prototype. Even if you do get used to the controls, they still are so weird that it just doesnt jive correctly when you do have what looks like a good attack chance lined up. Am curious as to why the developer had decided to make the wire act so odd with how it melts away so fast. Though with all that aside really did enjoy experience a small bit of the action viewed with the anime in this game :D

Indeed the tech now exists for a game to be highly possible, all thats needed is a team devoted to make it happen.

The hardest thing for an actual game would be how would one set it up as an actual title with levels and such? Since am sure having invisible walls would totally kill the experience and all that. Would be a lot more interesting to play as Mikasa and Eren being the supporting character. That way you dont actually have to control the the titan and keep the game from the perspective as a human. Though assisting Eren when hes in his titan form. Or could just do something totally original with the story itself. That and since the titans only really seem to have one main weak spot, how do you make a game thats centered around just that?

With those questions out on the board though, really would make for an interesting game I think as a developer would have to think a little out of the normal "list checking" which goes on with a lot of action titles these days and try to design a game that actually fits the story / world its based off of.

Hell even something that would just be a downloadable only score attack type of game would sell I think. Just as long as it can capture the action of the series, you would have a winner pretty much.

Originally Posted by B-Genius

I am so tired of this filth. Saw an ad on TV the other day for a Berserk "game" from GREE. Almost threw up into my cereal.

I've only seen two episodes of the show, but an AoT game would surely be great if done well. Someone mentioned in the other thread Spiderman style swinging combined with SotC scale and CyberConnect2 visuals.
Most anime games these days are either musou or fighting based. A break from the mould would be nice.

Get ready to spit more cereal as heres pics from one of the social games. The other is a card game by Konami? on mobage I think



Some pics for some of the cards from the mobage card game is here
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/kajika_eps/20120720/p6
Last edited by Parakeetman; 06-26-2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: added pics of the social game
Salih
Member
(06-26-2013, 09:50 AM)
Salih's Avatar
PlatinumGames ... you know what to do.
Astery
Member
(06-26-2013, 09:59 AM)
Astery's Avatar
Watching the clip doesn't look fun, but it's surprisingly fun when I play it. Controls are kind of clumsy, I don't understand why they have an alternative camera mode of WoW style, instead of trying to do something more like other action games. Will play again.

Originally Posted by Parakeetman

Get ready to spit more cereal as heres pics from one of the social games. The other is a card game by Konami? on mobage I think

Some pics for some of the cards from the mobage card game is here
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/kajika_eps/20120720/p6

People still play these genre of card/ social games? damn.
Jexhius
In every age, in every place,
the deeds of men remain
the same
(06-26-2013, 10:00 AM)
Jexhius's Avatar
The first thing to learn about the controls is that neither the game nor the website does a good job of explaining the differences between the Spacebar hooks and the Q and E hooks.

The controls take a little getting used too but once you learn how to use the hooks independently with Q and E rather than the Spacebar killing titans actually becomes very easy. Yes, I know that it would seem logical to use Spacebar as it fires both hooks at once but this is only useful for sling-shotting yourself between two buildings. Never use it for combat as the wires disappear after you use them.

All you do is aim for the weakpoint on the titan and then attach yourself to it's body with either the Q or E hook. This you'll be attached to his body by a springy wire so you have all the time in the world to swing away at his neck until you hit the right point and then rinse and repeat. You really don't need to get the timing down at all, although if you can that obviously makes it easier.

I can nearly wipe them all out but it becomes a bit more tricky when they gang up on you.

Originally Posted by Parakeetman

Have the wires only shoot off in the direction that the mouse is pointed in. Currently they seem to kinda shoot off at random on occasion (left / right) and not directly at the pointer.

You can do this with Q and E. They will always go where you point.

Originally Posted by Parakeetman

Be able to hang from a location where your wires are anchored in. Pressing the button again releases them from anchor point.

You can do that with the Q and E hooks. It makes the game substantially easier.
Last edited by Jexhius; 06-26-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(06-26-2013, 10:11 AM)
Parakeetman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Astery

Watching the clip doesn't look fun, but it's surprisingly fun when I play it. Controls are kind of clumsy, I don't understand why they have an alternative camera mode of WoW style, instead of trying to do something more like other action games. Will play again.



People still play these genre of card/ social games? damn.

The 2 imas card games make an insane amount of money, so its no surprise other companies jump in on the action. I think one piece is the most popular though?


you got to admit though, this is all kinds of hot.


lol @ the mask

Originally Posted by Jexhius

The first thing to learn about the controls is that neither the game nor the website does a good job of explaining the differences between the Spacebar hooks and the Q and E hooks.

The controls take a little getting used too but once you learn how to use the hooks independently with Q and E rather than the Spacebar killing titans actually becomes very easy. Yes, I know that it would seem logical to use Spacebar as it fires both hooks at once but this is only useful for sling-shotting yourself between two buildings. Never use it for combat as the wires disappear after you use them.

All you do is aim for the weakpoint on the titan and then attach yourself to it's body with either the Q or E hook. This you'll be attached to his body by a springy wire so you have all the time in the world to swing away at his neck until you hit the right point and then rinse and repeat. You really don't need to get the timing down at all, although if you can that obviously makes it easier.

I can nearly wipe them all out but it becomes a bit more tricky when they gang up on you.


You can do this with Q and E. They will always go where you point.

You can do that with the Q and E hooks. It makes the game substantially easier.

Nice thanks for the info will try it out. :)
Man you were not kidding how much easier it gets with the Q or E hook. Funny since the smaller ones the mass around the weak point of the neck is smaller you can attack them at the throat from the front and score a killing blow with the attack clipping through the model connecting with the damage point. Not the smartest thing to do since good chance the double fisted ground pound will connect with your character, but it works!
Last edited by Parakeetman; 06-26-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: added last line
Nephitamine
Member
(06-26-2013, 10:26 AM)
Nephitamine's Avatar
Trying to play this on a touchpad instead of a mouse is really, really hard.
B-Genius
Member
(06-26-2013, 11:22 AM)
B-Genius's Avatar

Originally Posted by Parakeetman

Get ready to spit more cereal as heres pics from one of the social games. The other is a card game by Konami? on mobage I think

Some pics for some of the cards from the mobage card game is here
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/kajika_eps/20120720/p6

Dawwww, look at how shiny and chibi they are! ^.^.^.^.^.^.^

...

Puke.
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(06-26-2013, 10:12 PM)
Parakeetman's Avatar
On the official page looks like the guy said hes working on other projects, so updates to this one might be slow. D:
Nibel
Member
(06-27-2013, 04:37 PM)
Nibel's Avatar
Didn't expect to play this so long and so often - great potential is here
sd28821
Member
(06-27-2013, 04:54 PM)
sd28821's Avatar
looks like the anime really boosted this series popularity and this basically seems like a retooled spider man game.
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(06-27-2013, 11:20 PM)
Parakeetman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nibel

Didn't expect to play this so long and so often - great potential is here

It is pretty amusing isnt it? haha
Nibel
Member
(06-27-2013, 11:23 PM)
Nibel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Parakeetman

It is pretty amusing isnt it? haha

Yeah! I always thought that there is a bunch of potential for a cool Spiderman-esque game while watching the anime

Keep us updated if you find out about new revisions of the game, I'd love to see the dev finishing this
Vecks
Member
(06-27-2013, 11:28 PM)
Vecks's Avatar
This just makes me wish for an online cooperative (maybe versus) Attack on Titan game where you go around hunting down Titans like in Shadow of Colossus.
Hi i'm Caleb
Member
(06-27-2013, 11:35 PM)
Hi i'm Caleb's Avatar
This is cool. Just flying around the city is fun times.
tmujir955
Junior Member
(06-27-2013, 11:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Parakeetman


you got to admit though, this is all kinds of hot.

There is a severe lack of abs in this pic
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(06-28-2013, 12:01 AM)
Parakeetman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nibel

Yeah! I always thought that there is a bunch of potential for a cool Spiderman-esque game while watching the anime

Keep us updated if you find out about new revisions of the game, I'd love to see the dev finishing this

I should go see if theres an email address and ask directly. Though am sure this poor developer is already getting swamped by questions like these lol
SwordtoWarrior
Banned
(06-28-2013, 12:07 AM)
Not a bad concept indeed, I did have a few ideas back then on how it could work. OST CD1 comes out in a day.
kayos90
Tragic victim of fan death
(06-28-2013, 12:09 AM)
kayos90's Avatar
I killed 3 a few days ago. I need to get better. Camera control is garbage still. =/
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(06-28-2013, 12:12 AM)
Parakeetman's Avatar

Originally Posted by kayos90

I killed 3 a few days ago. I need to get better. Camera control is garbage still. =/

Yeah its too bad that you cant actually look down which is pretty important. :/

Btw as mentioned by Jexhius use the Q / E key for the single shot wire which will always go where you aim it. Plus you can keep it connected to whatever object just by holding down the key. Seriously makes things a lot easier!

I was fighting with the spacebar alone which was driving me crazy till he told me about Q / E lol

---

You know I just figured out how they could get this to work in a casual manner anyways. co-op tower defense possibly. Also virtual money earned from (insert design reason) allows for you to buy things like cannons, pit traps, barricades, gas / blade resupply stations, etc.
kayos90
Tragic victim of fan death
(06-28-2013, 12:13 AM)
kayos90's Avatar

Originally Posted by Parakeetman

Yeah its too bad that you cant actually look down which is pretty important. :/

Btw as mentioned by Jexhius use the Q / E key for the single shot wire which will always go where you aim it. Plus you can keep it connected to whatever object just by holding down the key. Seriously makes things a lot easier!

I was fighting with the spacebar alone which was driving me crazy till he told me about Q / E lol

I figured out the Q and E before the space bar. That's all I use.
Glix
Member
(06-28-2013, 12:14 AM)
Glix's Avatar
I constantly see this thread title and think it is about a new PuppyGames game.
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(06-28-2013, 12:17 AM)
Parakeetman's Avatar

Originally Posted by kayos90

I figured out the Q and E before the space bar. That's all I use.

Did you notice any difference between Q and E? Since I cant read chinese not sure if the description says anything about that.

Spacebar now is just used for mainly scooting myself around the map quickly by aiming at the ground infront of me. Its pretty useless to try and get a good sling shot type chance with how they work currently. When it does work right though you can almost launch yourself halfway across the map
Samurai_Heart
Member
(06-28-2013, 12:18 AM)
Samurai_Heart's Avatar
When after that huge ass titan above the wall....no go XD
kayos90
Tragic victim of fan death
(06-28-2013, 12:20 AM)
kayos90's Avatar

Originally Posted by Parakeetman

Did you notice any difference between Q and E? Since I cant read chinese not sure if the description says anything about that.

Spacebar now is just used for mainly scooting myself around the map quickly by aiming at the ground infront of me. Its pretty useless to try and get a good sling shot type chance with how they work currently. When it does work right though you can almost launch yourself halfway across the map

One's the left hook and the other the right.
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(06-28-2013, 12:21 AM)
Parakeetman's Avatar

Originally Posted by kayos90

One's the left hook and the other the right.

In that case no real difference besides that then.
Relaxed Muscle
Member
(06-28-2013, 12:21 AM)
Relaxed Muscle's Avatar

Originally Posted by tmujir955

There is a severe lack of abs in this pic

BY2K
Membero Americo
(06-28-2013, 12:23 AM)
BY2K's Avatar
I'd have more fun with it if the camera and controls weren't crap and if I'd stop accidentally clicking somewhere outside of the game's windows and start scrolling like mad by accident on the page.
Samurai_Heart
Member
(06-28-2013, 12:26 AM)
Samurai_Heart's Avatar
Hmmmm yep will be way better with controller support...might as well take the Spider-man games' controller layout though.
Gbraga
Junior Member
(06-28-2013, 12:34 AM)
Gbraga's Avatar
I saw the title, checked to see if I was really in the gaming forum and started to go nuts.

Still very cool, but not what I was expecting :(
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(06-28-2013, 12:48 AM)
Parakeetman's Avatar

Originally Posted by BY2K

I'd have more fun with it if the camera and controls weren't crap and if I'd stop accidentally clicking somewhere outside of the game's windows and start scrolling like mad by accident on the page.

Use backspace to go into fullscreen mode. Saves a lot of stress that way. Though Ive had it crash twice for some reason, when trying to switch back to windowed mode. Not the OS just the browser itself. Must be some sort of issue with the unity thing.
NoirVisage
Banned
(06-28-2013, 02:31 AM)

Originally Posted by tmujir955

There is a severe lack of abs in this pic

not all females have to have washboard abs, and not all men dig a woman that lacks softness.
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(06-30-2013, 12:03 AM)
Parakeetman's Avatar


Sent the creator an email so hopefully they will answer back if it hasnt gone into the spam bin lol
Moral Panic
Member
(06-30-2013, 12:10 AM)
Moral Panic's Avatar
Yea, I love this game. I got like 500+ points for one kill because I was going so fast. Controls are good, just needs the rope to be less stringy when pulling you in.
Nibel
Member
(06-30-2013, 08:41 PM)
Nibel's Avatar
Is this a new version? You can select your camera and there is a entirely new cross-hair

http://fenglee.com/game/aog/

Thread Tools