• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Character in a JRPG

I'll never understand the hate Hope gets, doesn't FF13 take place over a few days.

Isn't he like 15 years old.

DIDN'T HIS MOM JUST FUCKING DIE IN FRONT OF HIM.

If anything it's a bit shit how fast he got over it. Yet everyone hates how he is grieving for his mom and angry that she died. What the fuck? Really?

It's the whole "I'll stab you in the face in cold blood while you face the other way" thing he had going with Snow for 15 hours made worse by the fact that the narrative seemingly absolves him of his murderous actions (if that ship hadn't have interrupted Hope, he'd have stabbed Snow in the face and that fact is never addressed). Snow is an arrogant ass, but that doesn't give Hope the right to murder him regardless of what the narrative tries to say.

Here's MoMo.

qgZo1o1.jpg

cOZSKul.jpg

GG Monolith Soft.

Snowe Vingerhut was amazing, one of the most memorable characters in that game.
You know, I sort of agree... But I also agree with the other comment, too, in a way.

Snowe was annoying but he started to grow on me in a sort of compelling way. I still felt he was annoying but he become interesting at least. In the end it was the main character Lazlo, not Snowe, who I would bring up in a topic like this. Snowe was annoying, aggravating, genuinely stupid in many ways... and very easy to dislike. But he become such an interesting character, at least, and probably has some of the better development in the Suikoden series. Lazlo in contrast was a useless shell. Far worse than even a Vaan. Vaan at least sort of had a point in that he sort of served as a vehicle to view Ashe from, and also a parrarel to her (their characterization, however limited, progress in the same way and are also often told more through body language than dialogue). But with Lazlo, he felt just like an empty shell bobbing through the story with no real purpose.

squadr0n

In no way is the cast In Final Fantasy XIII worse than some of the epically bad teammates in X let alone x-2. I mean Tidus! alone killed that game for me.

In no way is the cast In Final Fantasy XIII worse than some of the epically bad teammates in X let alone x-2. I mean Tidus! alone killed that game for me.

Tidus was a badass. Dude gets shit constantly, is in a completely new world with shit trying to kill him left and right, while his girl has to do this mission
that's basically suicide, and he's just a dreamed up version of his previous self.

Not even needing to bring up the fact that he's cheerful and doesn't let anything stop him from getting the job done, Tidus was a great protag. He may not have been the most likeable dude, but damn if he ever got shit done.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's the whole "I'll stab you in the face in cold blood while you face the other way" thing he had going with Snow for 15 hours made worse by the fact that the narrative seemingly absolves him of his murderous actions (if that ship hadn't have interrupted Hope, he'd have stabbed Snow in the face and that fact is never addressed). Snow is an arrogant ass, but that doesn't give Hope the right to murder him regardless of what the narrative tries to say.

While yeah that's not a great thing, he's still a teenager. Teenagers are not rational :p

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hell no.
Abyss has the best cast of characters in the Tales series,and one of the best in JRPGs overall

Nope, in my eyes they're the worst.

And nothing anyone can say would persuade me to think otherwise.

It's too bad, since gameplay wise the game was alright. It's just the characters that made playing the game painful to me.

Most main heroines in JRPGs. They are cliche at best. And that one weak, good for nothing character who can only drag the party down.

Zolbrod

I can only think of one of the latest JRPGs i played and will probably get a lot of hate but this bitch was annoying. She made me hate the entire game.

Estelle_website.png

To each his own, but I think Estelle is one of the best-written and likable female protags in the history of the medium, and I don't even LIKE the Kiseki games that much.

Raab

Neo Member
I dont care if you don't believe i beat it or not. She was annoying always messing up yeah she might called down Joshua a bit and thats about it. She even admit she's an idiot. Hopefully she is better in the 2nd game. I even hated her in the spoiler OVA anime. Estelle is your typical anime female she is on the same level as Sakura(Naruto).
I find Chris(The Legend of Heroes II: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch) a lot more likable and that game 10 years younger.

I think I understood what was just said. Not sure though.

vato_loco

Hope McEmoFace.

This piece of frozen mammoth turd. Holy crap was he a whiny little dickface, every single time.

Sure, the rest of the cast was unlikable, but Hope was downright "I wish you were real so I could slap you until my arms filed a restraining order against me" hateable.

(Can't seem to access imgur right now so no picture)

xMuku

It's been 14 years since playing through Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. But I will never forget hating the crap out of Nash.

Nash.jpg

Yes! That little shit betrays you and then apoligizes when you kick the shit out of him in his mech suit that was suppose to "Amplify" his magic.

aravuus

All these arseholes.

Arseholes.jpg

ALL OF THEM

Guy too?

Even though I like all the characters in TotA, I can understand why some people would hate most of them

But Guy is fucking awesome dude

I can only think of one of the latest JRPGs i played and will probably get a lot of hate but this bitch was annoying. She made me hate the entire game.

Estelle_website.png

Joshua was far worse imo

While I think Estelle did get quite a lot better towards the end, this

I won't hate, but I do doubt whether you finished the game.

is also a dumb comment to make

Zareka

I love this game, but Teddie in Persona 4 is seriously my least favorite character in gaming. I consider it a testament to how great P4 that I love the game so much despite having Teddie in the game.

I haven't played enough JRPG's to call him the worst, but still, fuck him. He has zero likeable qualities as far as I'm concerned.

mg7kBiY.jpg

To be fair Teddie annoyed the hell out of my the first time I played but he's grown on me since then. Love the li'l guy.

Riki.png

Worst in recent memory. Haven't played XIII.

I absolutely loathe when developers try to shoehorn in some diminutive, heavily accented, faux-cutesy companion in a desperate attempt to recapture the Moogle magic.

You are a terrible person and should feel bad.
Joking obviously

But in all seriousness, Riki is amazing! He's the heropon!

This is the true answer. No character even comes close. The characters in the XIII trilogy are amazing compared to that... thing.

---

Someone mentioned Estelle from Trails in the Sky? OH hells no! She was awesome. :p

Chaos17

I won't hate, but I do doubt whether you finished the game.

I disliked Estelle passionately in the early hours as well, but by the time I finished Trails she had become one of my favourites. Her personality really develops after each major event in the story. By the end of the trilogy, she's become a real woman.

Unfortunaly, only the first gae has been translated into english.

Astral Dog

Of what i played, im usually tolerant of Jrpg characters, but Tales of the Abyss was awfull, the main character was not even the worst, first time i stopped playing a game mostly for the characters.
Also, FFXIII was bad.

Ludist210

Hell no.
Abyss has the best cast of characters in the Tales series,and one of the best in JRPGs overall
You must not play many JRPGs if you think that...I grew tired of most of them (except for Tear and Guy) about halfway through the game. The rest, ick. Not the worst, no, but certainly not one of the best JRPG casts.

And everyone else mentioning Meracle and Sarah from Star Ocean: The Last Hope International...at least they were useful endgame. Lymle was not AND she was a poor character.

Chaos17

Yosuke Hanamura almost ruined Persona 4, so he is my pick.

Yosuke is with Kanji the characters that mature through the story.
While you've to romance the girls to see their "good" side.

Instead Yosuke show in his social link how he matured from their first trial when he lost his senpai girl. Him and Kanji really show how their endure the mockery of other people and take them as adults.

Lutherian

After the
"fake" Earth is destroyed
, I wish Edge would go rogue and kill the whole party and then kill himself.

That's how much I hated the whole SO IV party. But then, this... abomination joined the party :

587_2.jpg

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
As bad as some of the characters in FF13 and some of the other games mentioned here were, for me it will always be "Brother" from FFX2.

Ludist210

As bad as some of the characters in FF13 and some of the other games mentioned here were, for me it will always be "Brother" from FFX2.
He's bad too...his FFX character was actually fine, but then he learned English and he went to crap, as did most of the FFX crew.

Ralemont

not me
After the
"fake" Earth is destroyed
, I wish Edge would go rogue and kill the whole party and then kill himself.

That's how much I hated the whole SO IV party. But then, this... abomination joined the party :

Ugh Star Ocean 4. I can't believe I played you for 100 hours.

Ogawa-san

- Hey guys, Alvin is acting all mysterious again.
- It's ok, he wouldn't betray us.
Alvin betrays the party.
- We should forgive him, he's our friend.
Alvin rejoins the party.
- I'm sure he won't do that again, but we'll keep an eye out in any case.

Rinse and repeat every 5h for the rest of the game.

I thought I'd had Teepo the Token Talking Toy in Tales the most as usual, but he took the cake.

ShinMaruku

This thread kills me. Fuck Snow and fuck that Moogle. Snow is so bad that my friend hates all characters voice by Troy Baker. XD

Dimmle

So many to choose from.

Have dozens of people nominated Hope from FFXIII yet? Petulant child trope is my favorite bad JRPG trope!

Fbh

13 is bad, kay?

Second Post get it

SO4I_Lymle.jpg

It (yes IT... it's like a doll that speak more than a girl) had everything that can go wrong with a character in an JRPG.

Loli, annoying, badly written, terrible voice acting and rather creepy

- It's ok, he wouldn't betray us.
Alvin betrays the party.
- We should forgive him, he's our friend.
Alvin rejoins the party.
- I'm sure he won't do that again, but we'll keep an eye out in any case.

Rinse and repeat every 5h for the rest of the game.

I thought I'd had Teepo the Token Talking Toy in Tales the most as usual, but he took the cake.

I liked Alvin.

The problem was how the rest of the cast reacted to his actions.

Not really his fault

ohlawd

unbelievable. how can anyone hate Estelle?

I'm thinking really hard on what characters in JRPGs I think are terrible. I only see FFX. But no shit, shit game has shit characters wowza!

Servbot24

Banned
I didn't think the FFXIII cast was that bad (I thought Lightning was great!) but Vanille is truly unbearable.

Playing Xillia right now and Teepo is absolutely brutal. Honestly I don't know if I can go on.

Top Bottom