• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satellite Reign (Kickstarter) - Spiritual sequel to Syndicate Wars by orig. creator

wetwired

We just hit 33%, in just under 3 days!

Thanks to everyone here to pledge and supported us thus far. I'm hankering to reach our target so we can reveal the next stretch goal.

How did I miss this?

mr-burns.jpg

Yes! It's all falling into place!

Grayman

Not having played the original games I have had my eye on this but I really have no idea how it is going to play. Is there a chance of a mock up being shown during the kickstarter period?

wetwired

There's a couple of mock gameplay shots in the Kickstarter video.

At the moment we're concentrating on getting update videos out with information about the design and certain elements of the game that we're currently not communicating well enough.

FACE

Banned
RPS interviewed Mike Diskett: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...and-syndicates-simulation-legacy/#more-158898

You will be able to upload and download the history and knowledge of your agents and put them in new clones. All the augmentations you’ve stuck into an agent, if he dies and you can’t retrieve the body, that’s what is lost. The levelling up of the agents is where we have this concept of downloading and uploading minds into new agents. An agent can die, but a cloned version will have his talents uploaded to it. The penalty will be that you’ve lost money because you need to redo the augmentation. You will also need to keep the clone bank updated, because you need a high level clone for a high level mind.

Great to hear. I was thinking that your agents couldn't die permanently.

wetwired

From what I've understood you'll have to use one character of each class, that's a bit of a bummer.

I'd prefer a classless system that would let you specialize your agents in any way you like.

You to will still be able to customise your agents with augmentations and items. You can make your hacker more offensive with drone abilities or make your support guy more defensive with deployable cover. They will just be more adept in certain fields and will have unique abilities exclusive to their class.

pmj

I would also have preferred to be able to choose and customize my agents, choosing gender, class, and appearence, but I suppose it can be an issue to design and balance a game that can work even if the player decides to go with four of the same class.

I really like that you stress that you want the agents to have unique abilities and roles in combat though.

FACE

Banned
You to will still be able to customise your agents with augmentations and items. You can make your hacker more offensive with drone abilities or make your support guy more defensive with deployable cover. They will just be more adept in certain fields and will have unique abilities exclusive to their class.

Yeah, and I appreciate that. I'm just not very fond of not being able to make a squad with 4 soldiers with miniguns(I may have misunderstood something).

wetwired

We just did an interview that will hopefully address your concerns I'll post a link when it's up.

But we're not ignorant to your opinions, we've just made the decision to address some design issues inherent in allowing you to control a squad of 4 soldiers.

Each of the 4 will be able to individually become a brutal offensive force but we're tailored their abilities to encourage, or really, discourage the habit of equipping you guys with the the same augs and weapons and moving them around the level as essentially one unit. In those situations your main risk of death was separating one of the units from the group. At that point the game pretty much punished you for trying to split your agents up.

Our goal with the class design is to discourage commanding the team as a single unit, not to discourage chaos and and mayhem we love about the original games.

FoxSpirit

Hmm, a short question: do you guys consider allowing paused-real-time or do you want to keep it strictly real time.
Just curious, I understand it's a design and balance decision.

Mlatador

Banned
Will the environments be destructable like in Syndicate Wars?

Will it be possible to blow your agents up? I think it was a really cool move of desperation in SW, during a very tough mission, to do so at a great cost (loosing one Agent/lots of money)

KKRT00

Will it be possible to blow your agents up? I think it was really cool move of desperation in SW, during a very tough mission, to do so at a great cost (loosing one Agent/lots of money)

I dont see how could they do Syndicate game without destructible environments.

wetwired

Hmm, a short question: do you guys consider allowing paused-real-time or do you want to keep it strictly real time.
Just curious, I understand it's a design and balance decision.

At the moment we only have plans for realtime gameplay as per the syndicate games.

Will it be possible to blow your agents up? I think it was a really cool move of desperation in SW, during a very tough mission, to do so at a great cost (loosing one Agent/lots of money)

We are hoping to get some level of destruction in the game, entire buildings though might have to be relegated to a stretch goal though. I don't want to promise something we can't deliver within our budget.

I personally want to have the ability to blow the agents up\self destruct but that's not something we've discussed as a team, I'll be fighting for it when we do get around to it though :)

Ubersnug

You will be able to upload and download the history and knowledge of your agents and put them in new clones. All the augmentations you’ve stuck into an agent, if he dies and you can’t retrieve the body, that’s what is lost. The levelling up of the agents is where we have this concept of downloading and uploading minds into new agents. An agent can die, but a cloned version will have his talents uploaded to it. The penalty will be that you’ve lost money because you need to redo the augmentation. You will also need to keep the clone bank updated, because you need a high level clone for a high level mind.

This sounds very EVE online like. I wonder if that's where the idea came from? Either way, it's good that our agents retain their experience and skills when they die.

FoxSpirit

This sounds very EVE online like. I wonder if that's where the idea came from? Either way, it's good that our agents retain their experience and skills when they die.
Naw, the roleplayinggame Paranoia had clones a whole lot earlier. And they were much more fun :p
God, an RPG based on Paranoia would be insane.

wetwired

I didn't actually come up with the idea myself but when it was first mentioned it reminded me of Frank Miller's Hard Boiled graphic novel.

AWESOME! Boxed copies will be available;

After a lot of requests, and some late nights talking with manufacturers, we're pleased to report we're adding a new reward tier for limited-edition physical boxed copies of Satellite Reign!

This limited-edition physical boxed copy will be available in the new £55 / $85 USD tier and inside your box, you'll get a high-quality fold-out disc case containing the game disc, colour booklet, and the game soundtrack on an audio CD.

We'll also have a limited early-bird tier for the boxed copy at £52 / $80 USD, so get in fast to grab your limited-edition boxed version even cheaper!

All backers who have already pledged beyond this new tier will have the option to swap their extra digital copy for the physical boxed version at no additional charge. We'll send around a survey at the conclusion of the campaign where you'll be able to specify your preference.

0tHuNRX.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This kickstarter inspired me to startup another playthrough of Syndicate. Game is still fun as hell.

Shinjica

Our goal with the class design is to discourage commanding the team as a single unit, not to discourage chaos and and mayhem we love about the original games.

Can i ask you why this? If i want to make a 4 men commando with minigun the game have to give me this possibility and dont give me only few way to complete the mission

Can i ask you why this? If i want to make a 4 men commando with minigun the game have to give me this possibility and dont give me only few way to complete the mission

Yeah why not have an option to unlock any class combination, either at beginning of game, or once the game is beaten or something.

FoxSpirit

You mean instead the game allows you one super easy way that completely negates the whole design??
Besides the fact that you likely can not complete the game without a hacker.

wetwired

You mean instead the game allows you one super easy way that completely negates the whole design??
Besides the fact that you likely can not complete the game without a hacker.

Essentially this is our issue, while it's not impossible to balance the game with this option it makes it much more difficult to do, see as though we're a relatively small team we've decided to focus on delivering a polished more focused experience than run the risk of spreading ourselves too thin at the detriment of the entire game. However...

Yeah why not have an option to unlock any class combination, either at beginning of game, or once the game is beaten or something.

This actually sounds like a decent compromise, while I can't guarantee that it will be implemented it's definitely something we'll explore. We want to deliver a strong single player experience as you play through the game, once you've beaten it however a sandbox experience that allows you to do what you're asking sounds like a lot of fun.

freddy

Banned
I'm all for freedom in games but when it impacts on the games vision and gameplay just for the sake of having the option it's not good.

wetwired

One of our guys just found kickspy.com and we're apparently almost identical to what Godus was at during this period of it's campaign link

FoxSpirit

Good.

Also, an advise about campaigning: you need the biggest presence and the most stuff for the last few days. It's nice to get some coverage in week 2 and 3 of a campaign but the last 5 days, you really wanna be able to go all out. The best stuff for the last 2 days.
You may show off your best stuff in week 2 and people are excited for it but decide to wait a bit longer, the kickstarter is still ongoing and won't close until 2 weeks later. Plenty of time to decide. And then the hype may fade a bit and they see that it's basically on track and when 1 day is left: naaw, already funded other stuff, eventhough the stuff they showed two weeks ago was really neat. But the fire to see this made has died down a bit.

I know, I know, you propably are aware but I just wanted to remind you again, eventhough we are all begging for more stuff to see right now :p

pa22word

Btw, why aren't more people interested?? Have so few people fond memories of Syndicate?? :-(

Game it's deriving from is over 20 years old, doesn't have recent titles (neither spiritual nor direct) to draw comparison to in order to draw in the younger crowd, doesn't have a "face" to sell it, and is based in a genre that is pretty niche even by "niche pc exclusive genres" standards today.

Honestly it's doing fantastic given the above.

wetwired

Game it's deriving from is over 20 years old, doesn't have recent titles (neither spiritual nor direct) to draw comparison to in order to draw in the younger crowd, doesn't have a "face" to sell it, and is based in a genre that is pretty niche even by "niche pc exclusive genres" standards today.

Honestly it's doing fantastic given the above.

Yeah we're pretty happy with where it is at the moment, we can't breathe easy until we're actually at 100% though.

But you're right, there really has been nothing like Syndicate since, nothing even close to it.

First the new Deus Ex catches my attention, next I hear about Shadowrun Returns, then I'm surprised by XCom Enemy Unknown, and now something akin to Syndicate Wars?

Gaming Gods sure know how to bring me back to church.

Top Bottom